Who will make impact at Riviera? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #1
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Who will make impact at Riviera?

Dunno if I could attend it, but still.

Last year was my first visit (though I've been to Rivera club before, Summer Circuit), and it was a pleasant

experience. Even took a pic with Pam Shriver, she told me to take care

'Discovered' Nedeltcheva, Duncan, Secerbegovic, and of course the freshmen..

Wonder who could make immediate impact like Embree/Will last year?

I've seen Christian, Ahn, Gibbs, Dolehide, Smyth, Critser, Janowicz, Sanders, etc so far..

Ahn will definitely make impact, Gibbs too (I actually liked her play style at Carson).

Dolehide was pretty solid at Rancho Mirage..

And Christian winning the doubles is not an impossible scenario, 'cause a lot of the best duos during last season is no

more due to graduation.. seriously it has nothing to do with my being a Trojan fan

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Jul 6th, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 7th, 2010, 04:48 AM   #2
country flag Tenniswish

Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice
Re: Who will make impact at Riviera?

Riviera is a hard place for many freshmen to make an impact - not impossible, but definitely difficult. Other than a wildcard or two, all the freshmen have to go through prequalifying. Last year, if I remember correctly, Will was actually a prequalifier lucky loser that then advanced through qualifying. That's definitely a sign of how easy it is for a freshman to not impress at the Riviera but still be a huge impact in other fall tournaments and in the spring.
Tenniswish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #3
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

that's right, she lost to Nedeltcheva. Embree was seeded in Q.

Anyway Embree, Will, Ellis, Lao all made an impact there (which means they all made it to the

MD AND played fine, Embree even defeated Barte, a feat which she repeated at the NCAA team tourney

) and Embree/Will even advanced to the final

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Jul 14th, 2010 at 04:15 AM.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #4
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Tenniswish is absolutely right about it being difficult for a freshman to make an impact. But here's a list of my 10 freshmen candidates that may make an impact.

On the radar

1. Kristie Ahn - Stanford - WTA 304
2. Courtney Dolehide - UCLA - WTA 468
3. Nicole Gibbs - Stanford - WTA 482
4. Kaitlyn Christian - USC - WTA 727

Under the radar

1. Connie Hsu - Penn - WTA 428
2. Beatrice Gumulya - Washington - ITF 24
3. Nataliya Pintusova - Minnesota - ITF 35
4. Barbora Krtickova - East Tennessee St. - WTA 652
5. Eva Pigova - SMU - WTA 623

- The Wichita St. X-factor.
I only have 2 players listed under scholarship at Wichita St. for 2010-11. With 6 possible slots to fill Wichita St. has the selling point that a big group of close friends, all top international players can all come in together and create an instant powerhouse at Wichita St.
With all the top foreign players rumored to have a high interest in Wichita St. my guess is they will snag at least 1 elite foreign player that's capable of making an impact at Riviera. But on the other hand any foreign player may not arrive until the Spring and may miss the Riviera altogether.

- Amalgamate
Our very own Amalgamate will be a freshman playing for a top 16 nationally ranked team in 2010-11. She may make an impact at Riviera in doubles if not in singles.
If Amalgamate does make an impact in order to brag about it here she'll have to reveal her identity.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 04:37 AM   #5
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

What about all of those Georgia girls? I think Kimbell and Anghelescu are the best of the bunch.
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #6
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
What about all of those Georgia girls? I think Kimbell and Anghelescu are the best of the bunch.
Of course. But I dunno how they play

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #7
country flag ringchaser

ringchaser is an unknown quantity at this point

Georgias incoming class gives them a chance to compete with Florida immediately. Any of three or four of them may have a big impact at Riviera, pre-quallies or not!!
ringchaser is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #8
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

dunno if McDowell & Whoriskey played this event in their freshmen year,

but they were ranked 38th & 36th in tennisrecruiting.net in high school, and a MERE 5 star at that.

And look what they've achieved at college

And the incoming seniors..only McKenna has won the singles championship of the big 3s..

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #9
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
- Amalgamate
Our very own Amalgamate will be a freshman playing for a top 16 nationally ranked team in 2010-11. She may make an impact at Riviera in doubles if not in singles.
If Amalgamate does make an impact in order to brag about it here she'll have to reveal her identity.
You're so nice! Thank you If I do anything note-worthy this season (I'm just looking to have a strong record in doubles and hopefully anywhere from #2-#4 in singles) I'll let you know Promise!
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #10
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post
You're so nice! Thank you If I do anything note-worthy this season (I'm just looking to have a strong record in doubles and hopefully anywhere from #2-#4 in singles) I'll let you know Promise!
I'll remember this

tennisbuddy12 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #11
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Just add Jacqueline Cako and Sofie Oyen to a stacked freshman class of 2010-11.

Forget about just the Riviera, but there are around 10 freshmen who can serious challenge for the NCAA singles title next season. I'm including Beatrice Capra who may start in the Spring.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #12
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
Just add Jacqueline Cako and Sofie Oyen to a stacked freshman class of 2010-11.

Forget about just the Riviera, but there are around 10 freshmen who can serious challenge for the NCAA singles title next season. I'm including Beatrice Capra who may start in the Spring.
What US girls are you thinking of?

Edit: What's the latest on Capra? Play the spring season at Duke?
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #13
country flag Kevin.
Team USA ♥

Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute

is Cako going to college? I thought she was pro.
Doubles: Rank-15; Career High-12. Career Record: 108-114; Best Results: Winner: 2012-Wimbledon w/Kylger, 50k Lexington w/Kylger, 2011-Luxembourg w/drake1980;Finalist: 2012-San Diego w/Kylger, Moscow w/Kylger

Follow me on twitter!: www.twitter.com/kevintdillon
Kevin. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #14
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Don't forget that every year a good portion of freshmen/blue chip/top juniors tend to fall flat once they get to college. I don't have any hard numbers but it seems like if you are not in the top 10 of blue chips you really aren't going to make much of an impact on the college level.

Of course this is not a hard and fast rule as there are 5 star players that play even better in college.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #15
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

Tennisace... great post and completely agree. There are a number of factors such but top 10 Blue Chip usually do well, remaining Blue Chips often go to elite schools and toil at the lower half of line ups... while they could have made bigger impacts being a little less like sheep all going to the top rated schools. (Note that in male sports many guys do factor in 'where or if they will play in the line up vs everyone going to the Top 5 schools.. you gotta play and play high up).

There are definitely a couple 5 stars each year with something to prove and still improving.

But for the most part, US girls # 1 goal was to GET A SCHOLARSHIP and once that has been achieved they largely are playing out their careers sans the passion/desire to truely improve. Often times it is also the first chance to get away from the proverbial 'tennis parents' and between school/social life... the tennis was the mean to an end but tennis is not at a fast approaching end.

Int'l kids in the majority come over here with more fire because keeping the scholarship is so important. They do not have scholarships at home and thus do not treat them as a right or underappreciate them.

But I love your comment... because so many 'expect' US girls to do X Y Z based on juniors and that is not how it typically plays out.

You can't spell ch'EATERS without UCI 'EATERS
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote