Rebecca Marino - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #1
country flag Anik

Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute
Rebecca Marino

Marino's mini-muscles doing big things

Homegrown talent moving up rankings, ready for first-ever main draw
Marc Weber, The Province

Rebecca Marino's mini-muscles are starting to yield some big results.

The 18-year-old tennis player from Vancouver was ranked 716th during this summer's Odlum Brown Vancouver Open, where she lost in the semifinal to Poland's Urszula Radwanska.

She's now ranked No. 471 and about to play her first-ever main draw match on the WTA Tour.

Marino came through weekend qualifying at the $175,000 Bell Challenge in Quebec City, and will face 34-year-old American Jill Craybas in her opening-round match today.

She attributes her soaring ranking, in part, to the strength and agility work she's been doing with former tour player Nina Nittinger in Switzerland. She met Nittinger through Vancouver physiotherapist and fitness coach Carl Petersen, who co-authored a book with Nittinger."She's been helping me with my fitness and I've been able to move a lot better on the court," said the 6-foot-1 Marino, who already has the serve and strokes to match some of the tour's bigger names. "Before, my muscles wouldn't show at all. Now [Nina's] like, 'You have mini muscles.'"

After the VanOpen, Marino reached the final of a $10,000 event in London, then won her first pro singles title at a $10,000 event in Italy.

She beat American Ahsha Rolle, South African Chanelle Scheepers and then Brenda Schultz-McCarthy of the Netherlands in Bell Challenge qualifying. Schultz-McCarthy is a former world No. 9 who won the Bell Challenge in 1995 and '97. She used to lay claim to the fastest serve in women's tennis.

"It was like bombs coming at me," said Marino. "I was just trying to forget she's a former top 10 and had won this twice.

"She had two three-setters before me, so I knew she'd be a little sore. I'm happy with the way I played and really excited to play my first main draw."

Marino, who deferred her acceptance into NCAA Div. 1 powerhouse Georgia Tech until '09, has almost exclusively been playing low-level tournaments -- $10,000 and $50,000 events -- but even winning one round at the Bell Challenge could change her approach.

"If you win a round here you get 20 [ranking] points, which is huge for me," she said. "It's the equivalent of winning something like four $10,000s."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 31st, 2008, 02:28 PM   #2
country flag rileyman

rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Rebecca Marino

Looks like she got her 20 ranking points. Sounds like a bit of a rough match in the 2nd round, but four straight wins is pretty good. If I'm looking at the rankings right, this should bring her up more than 100 places to about 360-ish.

Looking forward to seeing what she plays next.
rileyman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM   #3
country flag rileyman

rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light rileyman is a glorious beacon of light

Found a good article on the Globe and Mail site here. The first half is about Wozniak and Tetrault, the second half is about Marino. She's been training in Switzerland, and sounds very determined.
rileyman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #4
country flag Anik

Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute Anik has a reputation beyond repute

Tenerife (Espagne) 25K

QR1: (7) Marino d. BYE
QR2: (7) Marino d. Ferreira 6-1 6-3
QR3: (7) Marino d. (9) Fondevila-Castro 4-6 6-2 6-1

R1: (Q) Marino d. (WC) Mohorcic 7-5 6-1
R2: (Q) Marino d. (7) Soler-Espinosa 6-7(6) 6-4 6-4
QF: (Q) Marino d. Meusburger 7-5 6-2
SF: (Q) Marino vs Jing-Jing Lu
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:11 PM   #5
country flag Vincey!

Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute

She lost in final 4-6 2-6 against Bovina, but with that tournment she's entered the top 300

"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #6
country flag Some1

Some1 is a name known to all Some1 is a name known to all Some1 is a name known to all Some1 is a name known to all Some1 is a name known to all Some1 is a name known to all Some1 is a name known to all Some1 is a name known to all Some1 is a name known to all Some1 is a name known to all Some1 is a name known to all

Hopefully she'll enter US Open qualies and I think she will with that results

♣ Eugenie Bouchard ♣ Aleksandra Wozniak ♣ Françoise Abanda ♣
Some1 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #7
country flag ¤CharlDa¤
Team WTAworld

¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute

Bump too. Rebecca has come a long way since then
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #8
country flag BOEING 717

BOEING 717 is a name known to all BOEING 717 is a name known to all BOEING 717 is a name known to all BOEING 717 is a name known to all BOEING 717 is a name known to all BOEING 717 is a name known to all BOEING 717 is a name known to all BOEING 717 is a name known to all BOEING 717 is a name known to all BOEING 717 is a name known to all BOEING 717 is a name known to all

She has come along way. I am thrilled with all the Canadians in the top 200 but Rebecca I really feel has the 2nd most talent. I really think there can be 4 or 5 in the top 100 but, other then the Woz, Marino is a legit top 50 prospect.
BOEING 717 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:38 PM   #9
country flag -sugi-

-sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute

I watched Rebecca today against Doi and was very impressed. She is a really really sweet girl as well.

IshizuMcHaleRiskeCrawford
CornetSchmiedlovaLepchenkoTakaoTatishviliLushkova
TanasugarnMiyamuraGonzalezAoyamaWatson
I miss Ai. Rebecca and Shinobu
-sugi- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #10
country flag -sugi-

-sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Rebecca just lost in the first round of Wimbledon Quallies.

Overall, this grass court season was kind of disappointing, when I saw her vs Doi, I thought she'd have a great season

Old Jun 16th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #11
country flag ¤CharlDa¤
Team WTAworld

¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I expected a good one too, kinda disappointing, but she'll have plenty more!
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #12
country flag -sugi-

Rebecca will play her first tournament since Wimbledon in Lexington next week. Her ranking has fallen to #190, so she needs to start picking it up.

Good luck, Becca

Old Jul 19th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #13
country flag -sugi-

Rebecca's quarter at Lexington. I'd be disappointed if she lost before the quarters.

(8)Rebecca Marino (CAN) v Q/LL
Bojana Bobusic (AUS) v (wc)Krista Hardebeck (USA)

Julia Glushko (ISR) v Jennifer Elie (USA)
(2)Kurumi Nara (JPN) v (wc)Megan Broderick (USA)

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #14
country flag -sugi-

Becca won 4-6 6-3 7-5

Phew

Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:34 PM   #15
country flag -sugi-

Marino def Elie: 6/2 6/2

Much more convincing.