Spot on article about Serena's defense in the match vs Kvitova today - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:25 AM   #1
country flag mdterp01

mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute
Spot on article about Serena's defense in the match vs Kvitova today

This article is particularly for those who are bitching AD NAUSEUM about how terrible Serena played. Was it the level of the Australian Open finals in which she destroyed Maria and Safina? No. For Serena, it was subpar, but a straight sets win can't be terrible. In addition, last time I checked winning a tennis match has more to do with just offense. Serena played some solid defense during critical moments, yet somehow no one seemed to mention that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...reg&id=5345731

Serena Williams Australian Open Champion (03,05,07,09,10)
French Open Champion (02,13)
Wimbledon Champion (02,03,09,10,12)
US Open Champion (99,02,08,12,13,14)
mdterp01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:32 AM   #2
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Spot on article about Serena's defense in the match vs Kvitova today

It's called pushing when Wozniacki does it, and it's called pushing when Serena does it.

Not a bad strategy, but people despise it just as they despise non-creative defense in all other sports.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Serena y Monica

Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
It's called pushing when Wozniacki does it, and it's called pushing when Serena does it.

Not a bad strategy, but people despise it just as they despise non-creative defense in all other sports.
Seriously...You wanna compare Serena's D to Woz's. One can turn defense to a winner in 0.65 seconds. The other can barely hit a winner when on the offensive. Different comparison please?
Serena y Monica is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:44 AM   #4
country flag mdterp01

mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena y Monica View Post
Seriously...You wanna compare Serena's D to Woz's. One can turn defense to a winner in 0.65 seconds. The other can barely hit a winner when on the offensive. Different comparison please?
Yes, seriously he does. And the rest you finished without me having to even say! It takes me back to my favorite saying. "Its not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death. I just think we should take the warning labels off everything and let the problem take care of itself".

Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:49 AM   #5
Serena y Monica

Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdterp01 View Post
Yes, seriously he does. And the rest you finished without me having to even say! It takes me back to my favorite saying. "Its not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death. I just think we should take the warning labels off everything and let the problem take care of itself".
LOL...do you do stand up? If not you should.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:50 AM   #6
country flag kiwifan

kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute

Haters will Hate.

Serena serves too hard is still my favorite new complaint.

Now she's a pusher, too.

I was there when the ALL BLACKS won the World Cup in 2011!!!

"I don't know that I changed all that much. They just found somebody worse." - Aging tennis bad boy Jimmy Connors, referring to John McEnroe, in 1984.

There can never be too many "Sister Slams!"
kiwifan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:54 AM   #7
country flag mdterp01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifan View Post
Haters will Hate.

Now she's a pusher, too.
Well ya know...Kim is already saying that she's not sure how long she's gonna be around, Justine ripped her elbow up and will be out past the US Open, Serena is in the Wimbledon final against a player who just made her first. Wozniacki has been proved to be a worthless pusher, Ivanovic continues her tailspin, Jankovic and Dementieva have one less slam than Schiavone, and the sudden "Stosur is going to take over the WTA tour proved to be a massive fail" They are not in the best of moods today and the haterade is really making them go

Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:54 AM   #8
country flag fawnrc

fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

In one's case you have to see it match after match. Serena is no where near a pusher. Pusher's do not win 12 slams.
fawnrc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:57 AM   #9
Serena y Monica

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifan View Post
Haters will Hate.

Now she's a pusher, too.
Serena is a chameleon...she can and will push why not? She's also more than capable of driving the ball. She obviously loves Nadal cause she's been incorporating heavy top spin as well. She can do it all.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:58 AM   #10
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnrc View Post
In one's case you have to see it match after match. Serena is no where near a pusher. Pusher's do not win 12 slams.
I didn't say she was a pusher.

But she's been relying on pushing as a baseline strategy this tournament.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:05 AM   #11
Serena y Monica

Quote:
I didn't say she was a pusher.

But she's been relying on pushing as a baseline strategy this tournament.
Erm...not the whole tournament...not even an entire match...but she did ropa dope Sharpi and Petra quite a bit.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:05 AM   #12
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

In fairness to Serena, this defensive mentality has revealed that:

A) She's in pretty good shape to utilise this kind of gameplan

B) It's working. Late in the match against Sharapova, Serena's athletic ability negotiated her out of some sticky baseline rallies, where basically her opponents looked far more dominant.

I prefer a combination of course, but it's nice to know that she still has above adequate footspeed. Leaps and bounds better than her match against Stosur at RG, where she basically refused to move her feet countless times.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:13 AM   #13
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well ya know...Kim is already saying that she's not sure how long she's gonna be around, Justine ripped her elbow up and will be out past the US Open, Serena is in the Wimbledon final against a player who just made her first. Wozniacki has been proved to be a worthless pusher, Ivanovic continues her tailspin, Jankovic and Dementieva have one less slam than Schiavone, and the sudden "Stosur is going to take over the WTA tour proved to be a massive fail" They are not in the best of moods today and the haterade is really making them go
I effin love it!
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:32 AM   #14
country flag omoruyi

omoruyi is a glorious beacon of light omoruyi is a glorious beacon of light omoruyi is a glorious beacon of light omoruyi is a glorious beacon of light omoruyi is a glorious beacon of light omoruyi is a glorious beacon of light omoruyi is a glorious beacon of light omoruyi is a glorious beacon of light omoruyi is a glorious beacon of light omoruyi is a glorious beacon of light omoruyi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
post of the day! Rofl...!

omoruyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:47 AM   #15
country flag gmokb

gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future

Quote:
Truer words never spoken
gmokb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote