The Media (in hindsight) Oh they make me laugh.. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 02:26 AM   #1
Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down The Media (in hindsight) Oh they make me laugh..

I remember not too long ago how everyone hailed Queen Hingis, Queen Jennifer and Queen Lindsay as the 3 MAIN players who would stop V@S. So is it fair to say that the joke is on them? Or is the punchline still "Somewhere Ouuuttt there? beneath a Pale moon sky"?

This is not dissin' Lindsay Or Jenn Or Hingis, but the lameo "Media" who didn't know what the hell they were talkin' about.

note: Lindsay has the game to beat Serena and Vee, but come on, the media was so overhyping these ladies.

Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. "Cree Native American Prophecy"
Dawn Marie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 02:28 AM   #2
country flag Gowza

Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of
the media may have been over hyping these ladies but at the time hingis, jen and lindsay were the three best players behind the williams sisters.

also good luck to: azarenka, lucic, sprem, vakulenko, vaidisova, safarova, ivanovic, groenefeld, mirza, krajicek, kvitkova, larcher de brito, lisicki.
Gowza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 02:40 AM   #3
country flag slydevil6142

slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of
granted the media tends to over hype things but who else was suppose to beat them??? of course they had to put that duty on someone you cant honestly expect someone like anna k. to get crowned the william stopper
slydevil6142 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 02:47 AM   #4
country flag Ted of Teds Tennis

Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all
Well, didn't Richard Williams say around the time of Key Biscayne in 2002 that Venus might have to retire because of her wrist injury? In hindsight, maybe we should laugh at him too.

And we can laugh at all of ourselves while we're at it, since Hurley was kind enough to bring back a year-old thread about which people in the Top 10 at the end of 2001 wouldn't be in the Top 10 at the end of 2002. I'll admit I picked Mauresmo to fall out of the Top 10!
Ted of Teds Tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 03:05 AM   #5
country flag 2284

2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice
At the moment it's more likely that Kim, Justine or Amelie will beat them
2284 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 03:10 AM   #6
AmonRa777

AmonRa777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Kim and Justine are the likely top competators...Lindsey is simply too slow to beat them unless they play poorly...MoMo will not maintain her summer level, she never has...Amelie will be back in never-never land losing in early rounds...she and Dementieva are the biggest air-heads on tour
AmonRa777 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 03:15 AM   #7
country flag Cassius

Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of
Mauresmo and Elena are the biggest air-heads on tour? What do you mean by 'air-heads'? Because neither of them is stupid.

BTW, there could be a Mauresmo-Elena final in Filderstadt. I hope there is, with Elena winning her first title.
Cassius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 03:17 AM   #8
country flag CJ07

CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute
Neither one

Lindsay can hit hard enough to stay with them, but lacks in the movement area.

Best Chances
1. Mauresmo
2. Clijsters
3. Henin
4. Davenport
5. Capriati
6. Seles
7. Hantuchova
8. Dokic
9. Anyone who can hit hard and is consistent
CJ07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 03:52 AM   #9
Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute
The thing is it was never just those 3 that could win slams and beat them I always felt Justine, Kim and a Russian babe would be the one's. Now Momo is in contention imho. Lindsay and Jen and Hingis were not beating them BEFORE they were out.

I guess what I am saying is give some of these other players their due,and stop overhyping Lindsay, Hingis and Jennifer like they are the only women who stood that chance. LOL
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. "Cree Native American Prophecy"
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 03:58 AM   #10
Dawn Marie

Take Henin and Dokic off my and Mmcdonald's list as IMHO I don't see them going deep into slams like I did last year.

Ted I didn't believe that crap that Richard stated I said that then too. Venus herself never stated that. Besides Richard is not the tennis media. Just a tennis dad who makes the media out as the clown idiot. I am so sure if Richard said that he was going to turn pro and start playing some ATP torneys that people wuld believe that.
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 09:43 AM   #11
TeeRexx

TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice
Are these list of people who will:

1. Beat a Williams once in a Tier event
2. Beat a Williams twice in a Tier event
3. Beat a Williams in a Grand Slam once
4. Beat a Williams twice in Grand Slams
5. Someone who will CONSISTENTLY beat the Williams all the time?

Option #1 may occur, but forget the other options for a couple of years. LOL

Possible candidates for those wins:

1. Maleeva - An annual occurance it seems.
2. Rubin - She did it once, she can do it again
3. Momo - May yet win at Roland Garros

I don't expect anything spectacular from either Clijsters or Henin as far anything greater tha a single win ove a Williams in a Tier event.
TeeRexx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 09:51 AM   #12
country flag Gowza

Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of
clijsters, dokic and henin, seles, mauresmo, capriati, davenport have the best chance but only because they are the ones that face them more often than the rest of the tour.

i don't think henin or dokic can do it unless a williams is playing badly and that doesn't happen that often so they're out.

i think davenport, capriat, clijsters, seles and mauresmo have been the closet to beating them consistently this season.

and i think the girls that can rise up and challenge them are hantuchova, bovina, petrova, krasnoroutskaya and tulyaganova.

all in all think currently form-wise the only girls that have a chance against the williams sisters are davenport, hantuchova, bovina and clijsters

also good luck to: azarenka, lucic, sprem, vakulenko, vaidisova, safarova, ivanovic, groenefeld, mirza, krajicek, kvitkova, larcher de brito, lisicki.
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 10:06 AM   #13
country flag bis2806

bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute
only Lindsay can beat the williams.... but right now Lindsay is not at her 100% performance... she's still adjusting... give her more time...
bis2806 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 10:13 AM   #14
country flag Gowza

if we're talking who can beat them when each player is at their best then capriati and davenport are currently the only players that can beat the williams sisters when serena and venus are at their best. but in saying that davenport and jen would have to be at their very best as well and at the moment lindsay isn't 100% and capriati is in a slump

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:21 PM   #15
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Dawn, I would love to disagree with you on this subject. But I can't. You were right with your assesment of the media hyping certain contenders.

And what kind of year did Capriati have? If Hingis didn't give away the Australian Open title to Capriati, Jennifer would be taking major heat this year.

There are no real contenders for the Williams sisters. The gap between them and the rest of the field is greater than ever!
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote