Martina Hingis Admiration Thread - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #31
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Martina Hingis Admiration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daandaan View Post
Anyone who has a link to the Martina/Kournikova match?
Did not see it yesterday and would really like to see it.
Have you tried Youtube? I would be really surprised with Hingis and Kournikova on court if this one wasnt posted by somebody yesterday!!
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 09:01 AM   #32
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Did you know that Martina Hingis placed on Guinness book of world records for her achievement of world no.1 rank at age 16?
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 11:25 AM   #33
country flag Martian Jeza
Crazy Conspiracy Theorist, Politically Incorrect

Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-K-M View Post
Did you know that Martina Hingis placed on Guinness book of world records for her achievement of world no.1 rank at age 16?
As a die hard fan of her, I know that, don't worry

Loads will accept being deceived and being whores of the system : a few others with ethics and values decided to be Free Human beings

BNP Paribas, JP Morgan, Lagardere are criminals : WAKE UP !
Martian Jeza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #34
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Hingis and Federer plans to Pair Up for Olympics-2012.
http://www.mirosport.net/2011/tennis...-for-olympics/
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #35
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

it would be so great =)

Slava Shvedova- Bel Bencic- Alize Lim
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 10:18 AM   #36
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

It was so refreshing to see Hingis play Serena last night in WTT. It brought back all those memories of her incredible anticipation- even the commentators mentioned how uncanny it was that she seemed to be waiting at the spot where the opponent's ball was going. She may have cracked two hard-hit backhands down the line the whole set, but used the whole court beautifully, moving a somewhat sluggish Serena around and up and back, and many times getting impossible balls back to draw an error from Williams (and there were a ton of errors). In the interview afterward she laughed out loud at the suggestion of a comeback, saying it's been 4 years, and it was enough for her to play former rivals in WTT. Nice to see
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #37
country flag R-K-M

Did anybody watch this year australian open trophy presentation ceremony?

Yeah,Hingis presented trophies to Azarenka and Sharapova.In conversation ,I think she might have asked them to find her name on trophies.

Offcourse she's the former 3-time champion.
Old Aug 8th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #38
country flag The Swiss Miss

The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all

Let's get this ball rolling again.

I used to marvel at Hingis' style of play in the late '90s. I moved on with my life around 2001, but I never forgot about her. Whenever I think of the kind of tennis I enjoy watching, her name always comes to mind. The game is all about power now, which makes for an effective way to win games, but it's not particularly entertaining for me as a viewer to watch. I can appreciate the current crop of female tennis players only in so far that they've managed to adjust to the power game. But when I watch tennis, I want to enjoy watching it and know that the players enjoy the game. I want to see creative play and lightness of movement. Thus, I will always appreciate what Hingis brought to the game. It was always entertaining to watch her play.

Now, I don't think she has the drive anymore. Motivation was always a problem with her. She always used to want to ride her horses rather than practice playing tennis, but then she had her mother to literally make her play. Now, I don't think she has any motivation or desire left. But she can certainly play exhibitions if she enjoys it -- and she seems to. I think she can just genuinely enjoy the game now without the pressure. She's earned the right to play tennis just for the enjoyment and pure love of the game. But I think she can still play great doubles. However, only if she's serious about it. Only if she's prepared to commit 100% to practice and getting herself into top shape, physically and mentally. Only if she really wants it. It's not like she doesn't have a life -- a Plan B (always one of her strengths) -- away from tennis to fall back on.

I read a few recent articles and I was surprised by how much she's matured, personality-wise. She seems much more supportive of other players now that the pressure is off and she seems much more humble and well-adjusted. It certainly humanizes her. This wasn't the case back then, but you could never accuse her of not being outspoken. She offended some people with her comments, which should be held against her only in so far that she was in the wrong (she was young, bratty and used to getting away with everything), but I think she paid her dues and at some point you just have to let bygones be bygones. Whether she's involved in tennis or not, she'll always have a place among the greats.

You can belittle her all you want for not having power (as if that's all it takes to be a good tennis player), you can make idiotic remarks about her only winning matches because someone else was injured or unable to play or not on their best game at the time. Sad for them, but how is that Hingis' "fault"? In the same way, I won't hold the power players' power against them, even if I personally think it ruined tennis and took the enjoyment out of watching tennis. It's just the direction tennis evolved in and I have to accept that. You can accuse her of this and that, but you'll never be able take her achievements away from her and the joy she brought to the people watching her play. Thanks for the memories, Martina! You will always be my favourite.

Here are a couple of quotes and bits from articles about Hingis I collected:

"Even though she was a raging B in her younger years, she had an appealing charm and charisma. She brought personality to the tour that it was strongly lacking. Her tennis was some of the most intelligent and beautiful ever showcased on a court and she is a true legend of our time. I don’t know if we’ll ever get another Martina Hingis. It’s safe to say that she was an awfully spoiled brat during her teenage years who was used to speaking her mind and didn’t ever suffer the consequences of anything. But at the end of the day, her antics always made us smile because she was just that awesome. And fierce. And hilarious."

"Her game on the court represented the picture of beauty, grace and balletic excellence." (her ballet-like movements were always something I paid attention to and responded to)

"Hingis didn’t play the “big babe tennis” of fellow pros Lindsay Davenport, Graf, and the Williams Sisters, but she found a way to succeed with a distinctly different style. Whereas Navratilova, her namesake, played ruthless attack-based tennis from a serve-and-volley posture, this Martina approached tennis from another vantage point. Hingis stayed on the baseline, but in the same breath, she didn’t try to trade nuclear-grade groundstrokes with her opponents. Hingis imitated Federer in one key respect: She constantly varied the pace and angle of her shots. On one stroke, she’d hit a high, looping topspin forehand to back her opponent into a corner. On the next stroke, she’d flatten out a backhand. She wouldn’t crush the backhand, mind you, but she’d hit it straight so that the opponent – who had just been moved off the court with heavy topspin – would have a very difficult time retrieving the flatter ball on the next exchange. Her ability to hit a different kind of ball in a 20-stroke rally made Hingis so hard to play. ... It had become apparent in 2001 – before her 21st birthday – that her career was going to have a low ceiling. It was in 2001 that the “big babes” referred to earlier – especially the Williamses – had begun to overwhelm Hingis with power. In the late 1990s, Venus and Serena were too young and unpolished to handle the all-court game of the Swiss Miss, but as the calendar turned into the new century (and millennium), the big hitters on the WTA Tour learned to calibrate their shots. Hingis could always outplay opponents who lacked thunderous weapons from the baseline and on serve, but when other female tennis players developed a big serve and an equally lethal forehand, Hingis found herself in trouble. A summation of the career of Martina Hingis wouldn’t be complete, however, without acknowledging the doubles brilliance of a player who didn’t stand tall at net. Hingis – at 5-foot-7 ..., it was a testament to her giftedness that she was able to thrive so thoroughly in doubles. Without the cannon serve, without the long reach of the Williams Sisters (who became accomplished doubles players in their own right), and without the tall frame of a Navratilova or Jana Novotna (another legendary doubles player), Hingis won nine Grand Slam doubles championships, and she did so with many different partners, including Helena Sukova, Mary Pierce, Novotna, and even Anna Kournikova."

"If the basis of good technique in tennis is good footwork then both of these girls were sublime in that department. Both could move with a blinding flurry of short, quick steps that set up their shots perfectly. They are the only two players who I have found myself replaying footage of them just to marvel at their movement, and I've done it often in both cases. They were different in style, Hingis always seemed to move like a ballerina while Henin struck me as catlike, but both were a wonder to behold. I honestly cannot think of anyone on tour at the moment who comes anywhere close to them in this regard." (I've always paid attention to Hingis' ballet-like movements)

"Hingis had remarkable ball control, superb balance and a phenomenal court sense. She was closer to a true all court player than anyone we've seen since Goolagong, and the capacity to hit every shot and volley in the book with disguise. Add to that, her uncanny anticipation, great sense of when to use each shot and you know why other baseliners had so much trouble."

"Hingis was renowned for her tactical approach to the game of tennis and for her technical skills, enabling her to produce a wide array of shots with finesse. She lacked the power possessed by many of her contemporaries; therefore, she relied on low error-rates and good shot selection to keep opponents off-balance. She often used change of direction and pace to catch opponents off guard and sharp angles to open up the court. She was also well known for her ability to break long rallies by hitting accurate drop shots and coming to the net, where she was a skilled volleyer. A signature play of Hingis was the drop shot followed by a lob, often resulting in an easy volley or overhead to finish the point. Hingis often hit the ball extremely early by standing close to the baseline (or inside it) in order to take reaction time away from her opponent. Hingis's strongest groundstroke was her two-handed backhand, which had an extremely low error-rate and great variety. Her backhand down-the-line was among her signature shots and often the shot she chose to hit with greater pace to surprise opponents during a rally."

"At five-foot-seven, 130 pounds, Hingis was overshadowed by bigger, stronger opponents, but used her greatest weapon — her mind — to compensate for the significant size disparity she often faced. Former World No. 1 Monica Seles once said Hingis constructed points perhaps better than anyone she ever faced. "(My mind) was very important because I wasn't the biggest or strongest so I had to have technique and tactics to be successful."

"Martina is all about her feet and about getting you to play the extra ball. ... She sees the ball before your racquet hits it. She is like Federer in that respect."

"Clearly, Martina Hingis represented many of the best Evert qualities of plotting points intelligently and artfully, of forcing others to play matches on her terms, of demonstrating that brain can win over brawn in many cases."

"I liked playing Venus [Williams]. I think it always brought out the best in both of us. Serena is one of the only top rivals of my time that I don’t have a winning record against. [Serena leads 7-6 in their head to head.] We had some great matches. Lindsay is another one where I started off pretty well against her and then she started beating up on me — she’s four years older than me — and then it got kind of even at the end. I would say the toughest rivals for me were players who had big serves and could hit winning shots off the first ball. Those were the type of players I can honestly say I really don’t like facing." -- Martina Hingis

"It’s once you have to come back to those events that you have won, and you have to prove it all over again, that’s the hardest situation to be in. [I was] very young when [i] got to the top; I didn’t have the fear. The fear came later, my comeback, I was afraid of the expectation, and I put more pressure on myself." - Martina Hingis

"Definitely anticipation has always been a very big part of my game -- to know and read my opponent -- but it's not easy. Even if I play a Grand Slam, I play girls I don't know, so I have to adapt very quickly." -- Martina Hingis

"Martina Hingis' creative court sense, flair for finesse and ability to create absurd angles were elements of [her] distinctive style."

"Hingis doesn't have the crushing forehand of Graf or the flashy net game of Navratilova, but "she has all the shots," says Navratilova. "She's not the fastest player, but she has great court sense. The only limit she might have is her height. But she's definitely kicking butt.""

"I never liked to practice. I just liked tournaments. I'm competitive. Practicing was part of the job, and I just had to do it." -- Martina Hingis

"She's tough to beat. Good for the tour but tough to beat. But I think she was pushed pretty young. Without her mother, I don't think she'd play tennis. She'd be off riding her horse." -- Anke Huber

"She didn't have much power in her strokes, but she had excellent control and she had amazing footwork."

"Whenever I start to watch a match, I soon turn away. In principle, I enjoy men’s tennis much more. Women’s tennis is very monotonous at the moment. I agree with my mother, who said, “if you cut off the heads of all the players, they would all look the same.” If you didn’t look closely, many matches look alike. They all bash at the balls. You cannot see any variations and crafty play." -- Martina Hingis (this is my sentiment exactly, it's what made me remember Hingis in the first place and register on here)

Tennis Now:
"When you watch tennis today, who do you like to watch? Is there anyone who reminds you of you? Anyone who plays the Hingis style, using the angles, the finesse, playing all-court tennis?"

Martina Hingis:
"Well, there's Justine. She's back on Tour again and she plays all court. With the younger players, it's hard to tell. It's pretty much one-sided. They pretty much have the same kind of games, so it's tough to tell."

"Martina has a conception of tennis that is very close to my own. I have always worked with players to get them inside the court and take the ball early. ... Not necessarily coming to net, if they come to net all the better, ... but to be able to take time away from the opponent, to cut the trajectories off. It’s what Roger Federer does very well and what Novak Djokovic does very, very well, but 90 percent of the other players are not doing it. But Martina always did this. It’s the way she was taught, the way she learned to play the game."

"They brought the power game, which I tried to deal a little bit with the finesse. I think it was a great contrast every time we played each other." -- Martina Hingis, on Serena Williams and Venus Williams

"I think today that it's harder to have this type of game unless you're really, really quick. You see so many players like Justine [Henin] come back and play this kind of style, but I think because of the power it makes it a little bit harder, though it's still possible. I always had to find a way to win because I was playing more physical players."

In her later years, Hingis struggled to cope with the power of big servers like Serena Williams and Davenport. She also talks with her mother, who was her coach, about the high number of first serves that the top players now put in court. "That's definitely the key today," she said. "My mum says that I used to get away with it, but later on it was harder. Maybe today she would change some of the things on my serve, but she was always afraid that I might get a sore shoulder."

TENNIS.com: "You were a player who showed your emotion on court: whether you were happy, nervous, angry or frustrated, you showed it and shared the emotion with fans. What role did emotion play in your game and did being emotionally expressive hinder or help you?"

Martina Hingis: "Well, I was very emotional and I laughed on court because I loved playing. Tennis can test you on a lot of levels and you can get very emotional about it out there. As a competitor, obviously you hate losing and you do anything and everything you possibly can to walk off the court as a winner. Yeah, I got emotional. When I was winning I was happy and when I wasn’t winning I wasn’t happy. And I was showing that on the court. Maybe at times, I was showing it too much (laughs). But I think that’s what people liked about me: that I showed you how I felt. Today, you see all of these same, steady faces, I think it’s almost boring."

"Martina Hingis played great chess match-style tennis and had a great eye that could see the game like no one else. She always knew where to put the ball and dominated women's tennis because of her talent. The Williams sisters were really different players with big serves, powerful grounstrokes and very agressive play. Hingis thought this was ugly tennis. ...But with the Williamses, tennis became more a sport than a game, and Hingis had more and more troubles to compete with the sisters. This was elegance and strategy against raw power and hard hitting shots. This rivalry maybe brought the highest TV ratings in women's tennis and some terrific matches."

"The Williams sisters are known for their strong serves and strokes while the slight Hingis relied on more of a finesse game using well-placed shots.Many other women have become heavy hitters in order to keep up with the Williams sisters. However, Hingis still believes in the "creativity of the game" and feels other players can win with it."

"Hingis certainly wasn’t a power player. She relied on finesse shots, using angles to open up the court and deploying the drop shot as one of her key weapons."

"Watched an old Hingis-Graff match. For me, it illuminated the difference between the women’s game then and now. These women weren’t outmuscling each other on court. They went for lines and angles. All the time. Almost every groundstroke, volley, lob was aimed at lines. They were deathly accurate and had an intense feel for the court -- something which I don’t think any of the players now can match."

"The debate surrounding power versus strategy was brought up. Hingis was revered for her deftness of touch, court smarts and coverage, and she had the ability to nullify big hitters, including Seles, Graf, Capriati, Lindsay Davenport and, early on, the Williams sisters. 'I think they didn't control their power yet at that time, because we had great matches. At that time, I still had the strategy and everything was just, it was different,' smiled Hingis. As far as Hingis is concerned, there is still room for power players and those who prefer to defend. But, she concedes, the game has certainly changed. 'Now it's the power and the control and the racquet’s speed, the balls, the court. Everything has made progress. It's normal. [Sports] evolves, and so did tennis, women's tennis. 'At that time, I still was able to sneak in [a] few drop shots and angles. It's still nice to see when girls do it today, but you just have less time. Then, it was still probably the right point and the right time to do it."

"She was a brash, self-confident, fun-loving teenager who could dissect an opponent by playing tennis with the innate strategy of a chess master. But, at just five-feet-seven-inches and 130 pounds, Hingis's game of ball movement and finesse has been overcome by a new game of women's tennis that thrives on power. ... Her ability did not lie in a dominating forehand or a killer serve; rather, Hingis's primary talent was an innate sense of how to play out points —- how to manipulate each volley to set up the winning shot."

"She brought back finesse and pure racket virtuosity to the game and although power is the rule of the day now, Hingis proved that nothing is better to watch than a court maestro adept at spin, ball trickery and shot variety."

"You don't have to worry about us Europeans. We take everything a lot easier." -- Martina Hingis (we all know Steffi would beg to differ, but that's all water under the bridge now)

"Many people ask when I will play again. But it would be too much of a burden to make it back to the top again. ... I do not think I still have the will and the strength to produce that kind of a performance again." -- Martina Hingis

"I love to play tennis but now I don't have to train every day for six hours." -- Martina Hingis

Hingis enjoys the fact that people appreciated the intelligence and skill she brought to the court. "I hope that's the way people remember me," she said. "Even now people come up to me and say: 'We miss you. Thanks for being around. We loved watching you play. It was different.'"

Last edited by The Swiss Miss : Aug 11th, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
The Swiss Miss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #39
country flag The Swiss Miss

The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all The Swiss Miss is a name known to all

I'll keep trying.

Here's an interesting piece on the similarities between tennis and politics. It's very loose and non-academic, and at times shallow, but I think the author makes some very good points, two in particular: 1) Tennis and politics are about power and mind games, both of which are removed from pure physicality and both of which go especially well with Hingis' brand of tennis, 2) Somehow, it's difficult to think of Hingis as an 'athlete' in a physical way. Whenever I think of Hingis as a player, I tend to think about aesthetics.

The author is definitely onto something. He has it at the tip of his tongue, but doesn't quite get there.

The first point is that both politics and tennis are about power. Power inspires sexually-tinged responses. The example the author gives is JFK. I'd throw in Bill Clinton and Obama. Women have a specific reaction to them that very often has nothing to do with anything they're saying. My reaction to Hingis has everything to do with her game, but not with the athletic qualities of her game.

1) There's something I noticed when I was watching Hingis' doubles matches with Kournikova. Their chemistry is electric. The looks Kournikova sends Hingis' way verge on the homoerotic. Kournikova is always touching Hingis. My guess is that this has to do with power. Hingis at the top of her game was about pure, unadulterated power, but not in an athletic way. It was never about muscles with her. Never about pure physicality. It was more about sexuality, sensuality and the mind.

2) The author uses the word 'daint' to describe Hingis. For him, 'daintness' is the quality that sets her apart from other female tennis players. "Graceful in build or movement" is precisely what she was on the court. Athletic? Not really. It's really difficult for me to think about Hingis in terms of athletic physicality.

Here are some excerpts from the article. Ignore the cheap shots at other female tennis players and the at times shallow focus.

Quote:
There is a similarity between politics and tennis, which I note, even though I am passionately interested in tennis and only slightly in politics.

It is true that interest in tennis once got me an article about Mary Pierce into Vogue, even though my great love was Martina Hingis. But John Heilpern beat me to it with a piece about Hingis, so I got Pierce. She was interesting, but not someone I could feel passionate about, because involvement in either tennis or politics is predicated on passion, which is at the very least akin to sexual, and Pierce was way too tomboyish.

Let’s start with tennis then. Being a fan, for me, is definitely tinged with sexuality where women players are concerned. Steffi Graf was the great tennis star of my younger days, but all I could summon up for her was respect. Perhaps her nose was too big. She definitely lacked charm, though she clearly had intelligence. But Hingis had both. Lacking a powerful serve, the Achilles heel of many a female player, was certainly also Hingis’s, although she also lacked the brute force of certain current players, e.g. Serena Williams — and a good thing too.

Hingis had strategic smarts and won matches on strategy and tactics; she could outthink her opponents. She also had movie starlet good looks, charmingly lightly accented English, extreme youth for a good while, and a certain daintiness. Not many female tennis players have daintiness. Maria Sharapova, for example, has looks. But daintiness? Forget it. Thus it never occurred to me to think of Hingis as an athlete. Even from Pierce about herself, as I recall, “athlete” came to me as a bit of a surprise.

The full text.
The Swiss Miss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #40
country flag theseekers

theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all

this is the next schedules for this summer with martina

16 june 2013 : Moscow hingis/dementieva , dementieva/myskina - hingis/seles
july 2013 : Wimbledon legend with Davenport
13 july 2013 : hall of fame induction + exhibition against mary pierce
17-24 july : world team tennis 2013
theseekers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #41
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

How about the idea of Hingis being the Lenglen of the late 90's (of course a modern, perfected version)? Both games sharing similar descriptions and qualities, and I would even add a common trait of character.
Hugues Daniel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #42
country flag theseekers

theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all

it's over between martina and pavlyuchenkova http://en.ria.ru/sports/20130617/181...s--Coach-.html
theseekers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #43
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad-Hingis could offer some real insights to the game IMO.

Quote:
How about the idea of Hingis being the Lenglen of the late 90's (of course a modern, perfected version)? Both games sharing similar descriptions and qualities, and I would even add a common trait of character.
Martina had definite diva qualities-so I can see the similarities. The sad thing to me is that with "only" 5 majors there are those who minimize her. I found Hingis to be a refreshing breath of fresh air. Yes, some of what she said was horrid-the 'half man' comment directed at Mauresmo comes to mind, but at least she wasn't just giving canned responses.

And what a game. Like Suzanne, she was an artiste. The assortment od all court tactics was breathless at times.

If she could have stood up better physically and mentally she could easily have bagged ten plus slams. Was her decline due to drugs, foot problems, or sheer lack of desire?

I'm not sure what the answer to the that question is. All I know is tennis lost some shine when Hingis left the game.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #44
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
If she could have stood up better physically and mentally she could easily have bagged ten plus slams.
Agreed with all you said.

As demonstrated by Agnieszca Radwanska today, talented players not being big "punchers" can still have a play around the top. I don't know if Hingis could have won as much slams as you mentionned, as there were a lot of great new players in the early century that she wasn't obviously superior to (Capriati, Davenport, The Williams sisters, Clijsters, Henin, etc) but it would have been great to see a player like Hingis compete with all of them for a decade again. Well, she tried, but not as much as she could, I think. She still has a fine place in tennis history!
Hugues Daniel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #45
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute

I think what Martina lacked was the drive and work ethic. To her tennis was just a game and she enjoyed being a player not a worker. Melanie Molitor has stated this in the past as well. Having said all of that, Martina wouldn't have been Martina without all her traits and abilities, which make her the player we love so much.