Jarmila's new life in Turkey - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 28th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #1
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
Jarmila's new life in Turkey

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tenni...0128-n1sp.html

Groths to link up with Hopper in Turkey
LINDA PEARCE

January 29, 2010

Late last year, soon after Australian husband-and-wife team Jarmila and Sam Groth lost their individual $150,000 scholarships at the Australian Institute of Sport, they received an offer they could not refuse. It was from Gavin Hopper, now involved with a new tennis academy in Turkey. Within months, the Groths, too, will be based in Istanbul.

Jarmila and Sam, both 22, no longer qualify for an AIS Pro Tour program adjusted to focus on players aged 16-20, and so must pay their own way on the international circuit. Both are returning from injury, Jarmila's ranking having dipped from her career peak of 57th to 123rd, and Sam's 60 spots to 280 during his period sidelined with an elbow problem.

Hopper is an experienced coach and trainer, whose clients before he served a 27-month jail term for indecently assaulting a 14-year-old student while a teacher at Wesley College in the 1980s, included Mark Philippoussis and Monica Seles. He also founded an academy on the Gold Coast with former Wimbledon champion Pat Cash. More recently, he has been working for the Turkish Tennis Federation and living with his family in Istanbul for several years.

''The offer seems almost too good to be true, but everything seems the way it is,'' Jarmila said yesterday. ''We're not sure of all the details, we have to go there and see for ourselves, but right now it seems OK.

''It should be good, there's nothing we can lose about trying to go there and Gavin is a great coach and a great fitness trainer. And we don't have a better offer anyway, so we'll give it a go. He said 'I know you are not in the AIS any more and I would like to help you if you are interested'. He was very keen to work with us, and it was the best option from a financial point of view, so it looks like we're going to go with that. Tennis Australia think it's a good offer and they are supporting us whatever we do.''

Hopper will travel with the pair where possible, and the Groths have been told they will be provided with coaching, training and sports medicine assistance, have access to the academy's facilities and hitting partners and receive help with accommodation and expenses.

So if they have no intention of switching nationalities, what's in it for Turkey? Jarmila sees their value as promotional, and to help set an example for the fledgling academy's aspiring professionals.

Jarmila, a native Slovakian who was granted Australian citizenship in November, will work with Hopper at the upcoming Challenger events in Burnie, Mildura and Sydney as she regains full fitness after ankle surgery last year. Overlooked for next week's Fed Cup tie against Spain despite being eligible for the first time, the national No. 4 hopes to earn selection later in the year.
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 4th, 2010, 04:35 AM   #2
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future
Re: Jarmila's new life in Turkey

Thanks for posting, explains why she is playing doubles this week with Jade! Hope it proves a good move, personally I have a lot of respect for Hopper and Cash as coaches
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #3
country flag ozfan44

ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i also wondered what was going on with the Groth/Hopper doubles combo....
|
And all the other aussie girls
ozfan44 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #4
country flag Tenisci

Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute

According to http://www.aksam.com.tr/2010/05/26/h...i_basladi.html , Jarmila and His husband will represent Turkey after citizenship.
Tenisci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #5
country flag Dani12

Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute

ACK! Go away you...this makes no sense.
Dani12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #6
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Argh, I hope its not true. Afer all the hard work to get Jarkas AUS citzenship.

It doesnt really make sense

I mean particulary Sam. He's respresented AUS all his life. And when you switch nationalities it makes sense IF you have ties to that country (i.e Jarka marrying an Australia and living there). Simply training there isnt really a great reason to suddenly reprsent the country.
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #7
country flag jack21

jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold

There has to have been a misunderstanding. She fought for so long to get citizenship and has received two GS WC's this year. Maybe they are going to live permanently in Turkey for conveinience?

Jarmila Gajdosova, Ash Barty, Olivia Rogowska, Naiktha Bains

Lucie Safarova, Daniela Hantuchova, Kristina Mladenovic, Sabine Lisicki
jack21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #8
country flag tennisforadults

tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenisci View Post
According to http://www.aksam.com.tr/2010/05/26/h...i_basladi.html , Jarmila and His husband will represent Turkey after citizenship.
I really don't know how reliable the news source is. There's no way Sam Groth is going to change citizenship even if Jarmila would.

Please stop spreading false news.
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #9
country flag Harvs

Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute

no way this will happen
Harvs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #10
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Groth has denied she's switching to Tureky:

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...0528-wlc7.html

LOL at the reference to an Internet tennis chat forum. Are journo's reading our site for tennis goss??!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:20 AM   #11
country flag Tenisci

Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
Groth has denied she's switching to Tureky:

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...0528-wlc7.html

LOL at the reference to an Internet tennis chat forum. Are journo's reading our site for tennis goss??!!
Then the Turkish wewspaper wrote a wrong news
Tenisci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 12:05 PM   #12
country flag Daniel.

Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of

Good!