All Time Rankings 1884-2013 - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 8th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #76
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Womens All Time Rankings 1884-2009

I love that racket Daze, funny it does look more personal and very cute actually.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 8th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #77
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
I love that racket Daze, funny it does look more personal and very cute actually.
it is!!! as an artist, i do get an added pleasure looking at it as i play. Tennis is filled with moments of contemplation, and you are looking really into your own mind... but you have to focus your eyes on something. I look at that beautifully sculpted wood (so to speak) and it focuses me, reminds me to be honored to be there to play with this great instrument, and reminds me to play with art, and let that do the winning for me. What can I say, I am truly smiitten by the wood racquets.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #78
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
it is!!! as an artist, i do get an added pleasure looking at it as i play. Tennis is filled with moments of contemplation, and you are looking really into your own mind... but you have to focus your eyes on something. I look at that beautifully sculpted wood (so to speak) and it focuses me, reminds me to be honored to be there to play with this great instrument, and reminds me to play with art, and let that do the winning for me. What can I say, I am truly smiitten by the wood racquets.
DazeYou make it sound like an artist with his brushes and paint. To be honest I had never thought of it in that poetic way before, but I guess there is a real magic with the wooden rackets that the graphite ones just dont possess. That is so beautiful that you are so loyal to them and makes you an unique individual,as if we didnt know that already anyway.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #79
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow I have to agree with you on all counts! I have that Chrissie Evert racket in my collection as well. I have about 40 wooden rackets and I just love them. They look great IMO ... I much prefer them to the modern day beasts. Although as you say, you need to be on song to play with them these days after taking the easy route and playing with the current equipment.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #80
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
I guess you are just twisting my words or taking them to the extreme. Of course I know there is no going back to wood or less prizemoney. My point is that in those days of little or no prizemoney and wooden rackets a few things stood out -
I twisted no words. Odd, because other than stating the obvious (there's no going back....) I agreed with your sentiment. Then again, I understand that once you disagree with some around here, words lose their true meaning.

Quote:
1) most of the players were there for the love of the game. Today you can't tell as a lot of parents obviously push their kids for the money or a number of players are motivated by the dollar. Of course there are some who are still passionate and love the game. I am well aware of that.
Didn't I say that too?!

Quote:
2) there was an abundance of styles with wood. And more strategic play was required as you couldn't just bludgeon winners like you can today.
True. And it's why I happen to like Mr Federer, as he plays tennis, to a certain extent, the way it was played back in the day, with wood.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #81
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
DennisIdealism is not something that you should be so ready to condemn, but I agree that rankings and rating players is essential. Its what defines a player for the fans and the profession itself. As far as Federer is concerned I am not so sure. I definitely perceive that he doesnt try as hard at non major events. I dont know if he is even aware of it, I think it is just a natural defence mechanism to keep him fit and active for the GS and Masters. You cant blame him for that. I agree re Serena though, she definitely gives it big style these days.
Perhaps you could share your insights as to how I "condemn" idealism. Not sure I agree

As for Mr Federer.....it may seem as though he doesn't try as hard in the non-majors....that's more a matter of his current form. Funny, when he was winning nearly everything he did try just as hard. (Side note: amazing how sharp the knives are for Federer these days!) The game does evolve. All the greats, from Borg, Connors, Laver, King, Graf, Navratilova, even Miss Perfect Evert (but shhh...don't tell Daze )weren't always able to get up for the non-major events. When you've won so many matches and tournaments, as much as you want to win all the time, it just doesn't happen. One thing I'll say about the greats like Laver, Graf, Connors, Evert, Federer....you never saw them tank matches. Sure they had bad losses (happens to EVERYBODY!!!!) But shows how they cared. Now there are some greats who I wouldn't put on that list, as tanking was more than evident. And I ain't naming names, the guilty are well known.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #82
country flag DennisFitz

Quote:
DazeI agree re Graf, I am positive she dosent get herself in a pickle worrying about these issues. I dont agree with the concept that she was lucky by the way.
I agree. And obviously I touched a 'noive' with some folks around here!

There's always double standards for some.....what's good for the goose ain't good for the gander.

I so appreciated Daze reminding me.....again.....how "lucky" Graf was that she was born in 1969. (Maybe it was her parents fault for not having her many years earlier?!) And that she had a certain dynamic in her favor. I still say, that Graf was just lucky. I do wish we continue the conversation about the Golden grand Slam in 100 years.....especially when no one else duplicated what "lucky" Graf did. Wonder how that will render the "idiocy" of that historic (?!) achievement? (Apologies for being 'defensive' about this achievement.....it is grander than some want to admit....and I'm still waitin for that explanation as to why Martina - or Evert - couldn't win a Grand Slam in their heyday.)

Opinions are nice, but how you gonna compare a vintage 1983 Navratilova at Eastbourne (forgetting that's the standard bearing event of all-time) and a 1988 Graf. Anyhoo, it was an Olympic year (totally disagree players blatantly don't compete hard or care about it.....just look at the list of players who WON and cherished their hard fought victories!)

FWIW - I used, and still own, a Chris Evert autograph wood racquet. Although I am sure the president of her fan club will want to take it away, and club me with it
(cue up that music from How the Grinch Stole Christmas...."You're a Mean One, Mr Grinch", and just substitute my name!!!)
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #83
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Wow I have to agree with you on all counts! I have that Chrissie Evert racket in my collection as well. I have about 40 wooden rackets and I just love them. They look great IMO ... I much prefer them to the modern day beasts. Although as you say, you need to be on song to play with them these days after taking the easy route and playing with the current equipment.
CraigI wish I had a wooden racket to play with nowadays just to see the difference it would make.There was an interesting article recently in a UK tennis magazine where Colin Fleming played his doubles partner Ken Skupski. One played with graphite, and the other with wood. Fleming I think had the wood and he was struggling so badly as he couldnt get the power he was used to. Interestingly after Skupski won, Fleming said that he felt that he had played far more interesting tennis than he normally does. But of course he was defenceless really against the graphite.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #84
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
I twisted no words. Odd, because other than stating the obvious (there's no going back....) I agreed with your sentiment. Then again, I understand that once you disagree with some around here, words lose their true meaning.

Didn't I say that too?!

True. And it's why I happen to like Mr Federer, as he plays tennis, to a certain extent, the way it was played back in the day, with wood.
Ye I guess Federer does have elements of that era, and I am sure he would have been as dominant back then. Whereas I dont think Roddick and Del Potro would have been so influential.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #85
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Perhaps you could share your insights as to how I "condemn" idealism. Not sure I agree

As for Mr Federer.....it may seem as though he doesn't try as hard in the non-majors....that's more a matter of his current form. Funny, when he was winning nearly everything he did try just as hard. (Side note: amazing how sharp the knives are for Federer these days!) The game does evolve. All the greats, from Borg, Connors, Laver, King, Graf, Navratilova, even Miss Perfect Evert (but shhh...don't tell Daze )weren't always able to get up for the non-major events. When you've won so many matches and tournaments, as much as you want to win all the time, it just doesn't happen. One thing I'll say about the greats like Laver, Graf, Connors, Evert, Federer....you never saw them tank matches. Sure they had bad losses (happens to EVERYBODY!!!!) But shows how they cared. Now there are some greats who I wouldn't put on that list, as tanking was more than evident. And I ain't naming names, the guilty are well known.
Good post. You dont condemn idealism as such but I think you dont like wooly abstract thinking and speculation. You deal in the facts and the here and now. What I meant was that there are others who dont think in that way. And I dont know if I can think of many bad losses Evert had to be honest.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #86
country flag iainmac

Quote:
I agree. And obviously I touched a 'noive' with some folks around here!

There's always double standards for some.....what's good for the goose ain't good for the gander.

I so appreciated Daze reminding me.....again.....how "lucky" Graf was that she was born in 1969. (Maybe it was her parents fault for not having her many years earlier?!) And that she had a certain dynamic in her favor. I still say, that Graf was just lucky. I do wish we continue the conversation about the Golden grand Slam in 100 years.....especially when no one else duplicated what "lucky" Graf did. Wonder how that will render the "idiocy" of that historic (?!) achievement? (Apologies for being 'defensive' about this achievement.....it is grander than some want to admit....and I'm still waitin for that explanation as to why Martina - or Evert - couldn't win a Grand Slam in their heyday.)

Opinions are nice, but how you gonna compare a vintage 1983 Navratilova at Eastbourne (forgetting that's the standard bearing event of all-time) and a 1988 Graf. Anyhoo, it was an Olympic year (totally disagree players blatantly don't compete hard or care about it.....just look at the list of players who WON and cherished their hard fought victories!)

FWIW - I used, and still own, a Chris Evert autograph wood racquet. Although I am sure the president of her fan club will want to take it away, and club me with it
(cue up that music from How the Grinch Stole Christmas...."You're a Mean One, Mr Grinch", and just substitute my name!!!)
Dennis. Now you are displaying a lot of touchiness. You cant fool a psychiatrist. Now I wasnt in any way using Eastbourne as a litmus test. However I was using it as an example because I was there. The tennis that Navratilova played was unbelievable. And so was Graf in 88. There was a difference though, apart from the fact that Martina was a better player IMO. It is that in 1983 there was a sense among players and public alike that Navratilova was invincible. In 88 with Graf, there was still an expectation that she could be defeated by Navratilova, perhaps Evert, and Sabatini. There was no sense that Martina was vulnerable in 83. And by the way Eastbourne is the site of one of the oldest tournaments in the world. I do rate it actually.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #87
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
CraigI wish I had a wooden racket to play with nowadays just to see the difference it would make.There was an interesting article recently in a UK tennis magazine where Colin Fleming played his doubles partner Ken Skupski. One played with graphite, and the other with wood. Fleming I think had the wood and he was struggling so badly as he couldnt get the power he was used to. Interestingly after Skupski won, Fleming said that he felt that he had played far more interesting tennis than he normally does. But of course he was defenceless really against the graphite.
you can get one in perfect condition on ebay for 10 bucks... no one wants them. When you string it, have it strung at 50... it has so much control by itself, you'll just want to string for power so that you can hit at your club without people laughing. When you start pounding that ball with wood, you see how fast that ridicule turns to respect! they just can't believe it....
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 08:22 AM   #88
country flag the computer

the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light

Everyone should make the effort to play doubles and mixed - I mean I know its sooooo tough but its not like youre working all day down a coal mine

Last edited by the computer : Dec 14th, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
the computer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 09:33 AM   #89
country flag the computer

the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light

'' ''

I got ripped off! I have beaten alot of the players ranked ahead of me

I think you are wrong,I am not palying anymore

Last edited by the computer : Dec 14th, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
the computer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 03:10 PM   #90
country flag nelslus
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
you can get one in perfect condition on ebay for 10 bucks... When you start pounding that ball with wood, you see how fast that ridicule turns to respect! they just can't believe it....
One can only hope that Mr. Daze is talking about tennis here. (Especially the ebay for 10 bucks part.)