Losing confidence in one of your shots - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 31st, 2010, 02:21 AM   #16
country flag Justin SW
Member of Rena's Army

Justin SW has a reputation beyond repute Justin SW has a reputation beyond repute Justin SW has a reputation beyond repute Justin SW has a reputation beyond repute Justin SW has a reputation beyond repute Justin SW has a reputation beyond repute Justin SW has a reputation beyond repute Justin SW has a reputation beyond repute Justin SW has a reputation beyond repute Justin SW has a reputation beyond repute Justin SW has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Losing confidence in one of your shots

Im currently struggling with the same problem now...but me I feel like I lost my old grip and thats what prevent s me from hitting it right. I net lots of back hand and I just dont know what to do! It was such a GREAT SHOT :'(!
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2010, 03:27 AM   #17
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caillou View Post
Hey guys, recently, I have really been struggling to hit my two handed backhand. Prior to this, I had a very good two handeder that I could hit with depth, power and accuracy. Now when I go to hit a backhand, it's almost like mentally I can't do it. My brain almost stops me from swinging normally and I hit it up on it and it lands quite long. Has anyone experienced this or at least know what the heck I'm talking about? It's worse when I get a ball with no pace on it, when I have time to think about it, I can't even force myself to swing through and hit a clean backhand. Can anyone relate to this and help me??

Thanks in advance.
It sounds like you are hesitating and contacting a bit late, which is reducing your topspin and making you almost push through the ball. When you have pace to work with you don't have to swing hard since you can just redirect the oncoming pace, but when you have a slower ball and have to swing hard you cannot control it since there isn't enough spin.

My advice would be to try to focus on contacting early, with medium-high racquet speed, out in front of the body, using enough wrist movement to cover the ball and get topspin. Try to get the feeling of hitting across the ball (ie for a righthander, you should feel that your racquet comes from the left side of the ball and brushes across it to the right side of it) instead of directly through it.

I would go to the court by yourself at least once a week with a bag of balls and just drop the ball in front of yourself and rip through backhand after backhand, trying to get a rhythm and establishing a "windscreen wiper" feel for the contact. That way you can miss as much as you like while trying to find the rhythm. If you have a wall which you can throw a ball against, try to throw a ball at slow to medium speed at the wall and hit a backhand when it comes back to you, focusing on having reasonably high racquetspeed and spin, while still keeping the pace of the shot slow enough so that it doesn't just fly back past you. I used this method to fix my own backhand when I was losing a bit of control a few years ago, I found it worked well.

These two drills will replicate "slow balls" quite well. Also you are able to do them by yourself which takes a lot of pressure off you since it doesn't matter much if you make mistakes. The key is to get used to swinging faster than the oncoming ball and still retaining control. By dropping the ball on a court or throwing it slowly towards a wall (not too slowly or it won't come back to you properly though) you will get used to generating pace yourself on the backhand. Chances are that you will find this quite difficult in your current form, but if you get it to work you will begin to develop confidence in your swing again.

Getting someone to throw balls (medium slow with loop) at your backhand, which was mentioned by someone else, is also a good idea, since it is easier than actually rallying, but I would do the solo exercises first since you have less pressure then and it's easier to experiment when you're by yourself.

Good luck with rediscovering your backhand.

Last edited by HowardH : Jun 1st, 2010 at 03:21 AM.
HowardH is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 03:47 AM   #18
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Solo View Post
Im currently struggling with the same problem now...but me I feel like I lost my old grip and thats what prevent s me from hitting it right. I net lots of back hand and I just dont know what to do! It was such a GREAT SHOT :'(!
Sounds like you aren't getting underneath the shot enough. I would recommend something similar to what I advised Caillou to do- go to a court by yourself, drop balls to yourself and hit lots of backhands, focusing on relaxing the wrists and getting underneath the ball before brushing up on it. Use reasonably high racquethead speed and spin- it's cheating if you push it slowly to control it. Try to get to the point where you can hit 20 topspin shots in a row this way with reasonable pace without a single one hitting the net.
HowardH is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:08 AM   #19
country flag Caralenko
Senior Bint.

Caralenko has a reputation beyond repute Caralenko has a reputation beyond repute Caralenko has a reputation beyond repute Caralenko has a reputation beyond repute Caralenko has a reputation beyond repute Caralenko has a reputation beyond repute Caralenko has a reputation beyond repute Caralenko has a reputation beyond repute Caralenko has a reputation beyond repute Caralenko has a reputation beyond repute Caralenko has a reputation beyond repute

My serve always breaks down after I lose a bit of confidence After one double fault, I start to focus too much on getting it over and then I just fault away the game.
Caralenko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:46 AM   #20
country flag barboza

barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future

I would also suggest something that worked for me today. Try to emulate a certain player's style. For example, I tried to hit like Elena Dementieva today and it worked as my backhand was more consistent. Watch the ball, move your feet and don't fiddle with the grip too much.
barboza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:49 PM   #21
country flag Ferg

Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute

I dont really have that problem. Its strange, even after a hit a few bad shots Im always confident and looking forward to the next strike to try to get it better again. If I did have a problem it would be with the wiggles, which I also get in golf. Sometimes I dont even grip the racket properly until they're served.
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:57 PM   #22
DualMedia

DualMedia is a splendid one to behold DualMedia is a splendid one to behold DualMedia is a splendid one to behold DualMedia is a splendid one to behold DualMedia is a splendid one to behold DualMedia is a splendid one to behold DualMedia is a splendid one to behold DualMedia is a splendid one to behold DualMedia is a splendid one to behold DualMedia is a splendid one to behold DualMedia is a splendid one to behold

me and ana I. need to have meeting, because I have a bad ball toss! I never can get it right! any ideas?
DualMedia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:36 AM   #23
country flag hdfb

hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caillou View Post
Hey guys, recently, I have really been struggling to hit my two handed backhand. Prior to this, I had a very good two handeder that I could hit with depth, power and accuracy. Now when I go to hit a backhand, it's almost like mentally I can't do it. My brain almost stops me from swinging normally and I hit it up on it and it lands quite long. Has anyone experienced this or at least know what the heck I'm talking about? It's worse when I get a ball with no pace on it, when I have time to think about it, I can't even force myself to swing through and hit a clean backhand. Can anyone relate to this and help me??

Thanks in advance.
I was like a carbon copy of you.

My BH was always a liability compared to my forehand, and I was out from tennis with a knee injury for 6 months. When I came back, my backhand was exactly like you said, would hit up, sail over the baseline. I couldn't get spin on it, I knew I should bend my knees but I never did...

The only way is to practise and really prepare your body as the ball approaches the BH wing. Must come over that ball and hit it side on. I would just have BH rallies with my brother to get into it, I suggest you do that too. I am much better now since coming back from injury... still gotta work more in bending those knees though!
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 03:04 AM   #24
country flag Caillou

Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future

Again guys, it means so much to me that you are helping me like this. It's great to get advice from such knowledgeable people. I had a doubles match tonight and really struggled with the things I described in the thread. Came through it with my partner though (many thanks to him), even after being down 3-5 15-40! But, now I need time to take all the advice in and work on it. I will certainly let guys know how things go. Appreciate it!

Welcome Back Kimmy!
Caillou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #25
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by barboza View Post
I would also suggest something that worked for me today. Try to emulate a certain player's style. For example, I tried to hit like Elena Dementieva today and it worked as my backhand was more consistent. Watch the ball, move your feet and don't fiddle with the grip too much.
I've had the same problem with all my shots (backhand, forehand, serve, volleys) and frankly, trying to emulate players is the worst thing I ever did. I would analyse pictures and videos to see how the pros hold their rackets, how they swing etc. and then i'd go and play and it simply would not work.

I guess it's cos seeing it on TV really doesn't capture exactly what players do, PLUS they have those crazy ass extreme grips and open-stance shots that I think take years to learn how to execute.

So what I did eventually was just to trust that I knew how to do it and not try to emulate players too much... basically let my shots flow. And it worked after a while.
The Witch-king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #26
VishaalMaria

VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute

The only shot I lose confidence in is my serve.

I think about it too much at times.

I get it over the net alright, it's just.....when I try and hit down the t it goes kinda wide and vice versa... Crappy technique.
VishaalMaria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #27
country flag Keegan

Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should start off slowly. Just push the backhand into play and gradually put more and more power on to it. That's what helped me when my backhand left me.
Wimbledon 2004
US Open 2006

Victoria Azarenka | Li Na | Angelique Kerber | Ana Ivanovic | Serena Williams | Heather Watson | Sloane Stephens
Keegan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #28
country flag Shafanovic.
#claypova

Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute

just like me with my forehand right now.

my forehand was sooooo good before, and then i focused on my backhand so it was better. now it's my better shot but because i don't practice the forehand, that went downhill.

only last week i've tried to focus it on my forehand, but with that said, i also practiced the backhand because it is my favourite shot.

so you have to work on both. not just one. good luck
Shafanovic. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #29
Petkorazzi

Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough, these last 3-4 days I've got my forehand back and am hitting the shit out of the ball.
Petkorazzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #30
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Come and read this thread Robin!
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote