Eastbourne and Wimbledon - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #151
country flag Marionated

Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Eastbourne and Wimbledon

I don't think you should give up on her. It's not like she tanked, she just didn't play well.

It's just suprising how weak her strokes have become. Like Viktymise said in gm, Marion just couldn't outhit her. Watch Kvitova who is currently 4-1 up vs Wozniacki. Compare her strokes to Marion's. The difference is huge.

Zvonareva Kleybanova Mattek-Sands

Niculescu Lisicki Razzano Koukalova Errani

Baltacha (RIP) Robson Watson Gent Konta and the rest of the Brits
Marionated is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #152
country flag Bartoli's Boy

Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of

Gutted.
Bartoli's Boy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #153
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Ummmmmmm.....Marion,the only thing that makes this even remotely tolerable is that you would've faced Venus...and almost surely lost......other than THAT,I'll need some recovery time Sugar Buns

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #154
country flag Marionated

Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's disappointing, but it's not the worst I've felt after a Marion loss. The round of 16 loss to Bammer at the US open a few years ago when Marion was sick and had 2-1 40-0 in the 3rd set is probably the worst for me. Bammer didn't even play well that day, Pironkova did play well today for example, Marion had 4 game points in one of her service games and Pironkova SAVED all of them. Marion should have served better, but that's tennis for you. I really wanted her to get to the 4th round at least and she did.

Tbh, I don't think Marion has played well all year and therefore doesn't have the confidence to play high risk tennis anymore, which is what she needed to do to win this match. And movement will always be an issue, hence the 40+ winners by Pironkova. It's likely that Marion will spend the next few years around the top 20/15, having the odd great tournament here and there (last the year, the Australian open, Stanford and Bejing), but she'll never be able to perform consistently well because she simply isn't good enough to do so

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #155
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully,you're wrong,Conor.....Marion DID make YEC one year and,although she'll never be a jackrabbit on court,I think she could do MUCH more to improve her overall fitness.Even though I like her womanly curves,I wouldn't say that she was in peak athletic condition by quite a stretch

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #156
country flag Marionated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Hopefully,you're wrong,Conor.....Marion DID make YEC one year and,although she'll never be a jackrabbit on court,I think she could do MUCH more to improve her overall fitness.Even though I like her womanly curves,I wouldn't say that she was in peak athletic condition by quite a stretch
Her shape and fitness levels have has fluctuated over the years. She could be in better shape, yes, but she's certainly in better shape than in Bejing last year where, after the great win over nemesis Vera, she looked exhausted the next day against other nemesis Radwanska. Her fitness didn't cost her this match.

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #157
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronoc View Post
Her shape and fitness levels have has fluctuated over the years. She could be in better shape, yes, but she's certainly in better shape than in Bejing last year where, after the great win over nemesis Vera, she looked exhausted the next day against other nemesis Radwanska. Her fitness didn't cost her this match.
Sorry for my lack of clarity;I wasn't implying that she lost today b/c of fitness issues,but you spoke of consistency in Marion's career......and poor fitness can be a MAJOR contributor to inconsistency

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #158
country flag Marionated

Another major factor is the inconsistency of her serve. She served 8 aces against Arn and Many unreturnables, but today she just span a lot of her first serves in. It just wasn't firing when she really needed it, whereas someone like Serverena pretty much knows how that she is going to serve huge from one tournament to the next.

But fitness has actually cost her some matches. See the Paris indoor semi vs Chakvetadze a few years ago where she was cruising a set and a break up and then injured her back because of her conditioning and didn't win a game. To this day, I believe she won have won that tier 2 title had she been in better shape at the time but we all remember that the first half of 08 (where she was giving out top 10 wins left, right and centre) was probably the worst tennis of her career, and that was primarily due to her fitness.

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #159
country flag Ferg

Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute

Did she have glandular fever? I remember hearing she said it after Eastbourne 08, but didnt acually see any articles on it.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #160
country flag Marionated

I think she was suffering from some illness- mononucleosis like Federer?(it can't been that bad though as it didn't prevent either from playing tennis,) but it is not an excuse for the awful shape she was in (not that I'm implying you're saying it is Ferg.)

Anyway I think now we should just look foward to the rest of the year. Notable points to defend:
.Stanford champion
.Bejing semi-finalist
.Tokyo Quarter-finalist
.Bali final

Points to gain:
.Cincinatti
.LA
.Toronto
.New Haven

Not that she will play all of these
.US open
. And maybe she could play an international tournament like last year where she retired against Mirza. If she does, hopefully she chooses Linz. She's amazing to watch indoors.

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #161
country flag Ferg

Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah she was in terrible shape but I was just never sure whether she was or not, and thought that was asgood a time as ever to ask when you mentioned her terrible 2008.

This was a valuable place to gain a lot of points, both for her ranking and for Doha. Big pity.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #162
country flag Marionated

I don't think Doha is realistic.

She has still gained some points, since she lost R3 last year, and she's got plenty of points to gain during the US summer hardcourt season.

And there's no chance of her drawing Kim early on like she did last year in Cincinatti and New York. If it weren't for Kim last year, I think she would have at least made the 3rd round/quarter-finals of Cincy and would have reached the 4th round in New York. Marion was just very unfortunate with the draws.

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #163
country flag bruce goose

Don't know if this makes a difference to you two guys,but it CAN get much worse as you see from my sig.....Although she HAS won a Slam,Ana is undergoing one of the most pathetic mental meltdowns in modern sporting history.I get MUCH more satisfaction from Marion's career,warts and all

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #164
country flag Ferg

Doha is pretty much out of the question now but 500 points plus her best part of the season to come couldve at least had her within distance of the tp 10 spots, I wonder if shes regretting not playing more MMs now, for Bali.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #165
country flag Marionated

I don't think she's interested in Bali, hence her decision not to defend her Monterrey title.