Dorothy Round Little - One of Britain's greatest champions - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 25th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #16
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dorothy Round Little - One of Britain's greatest champions

Mark originally posted this marriage notice of Dorothy's hereat: http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=1587

Dorothy Edith Round
United Kingdom
Born 13 July 1908
Died 12 November 1982

Married Douglas Leigh Little, 2 September 1937

From "Lawn Tennis and Badminton", September 4, 1937:

"The marriage took place on Thursday at the Wesley Methodist Church, Dudley, Worcestershire, between Dr Douglas Leigh Little, M.B., only son of the late Mr W.L. Little and of Mrs Barnes, of Darnley Place, Glasgow, and Miss Dorothy Round, only daughter of Mr and Mrs J.B. Round of Dudley, Worcestershire. Miss Mary Heeley was the bridesmaid.

"The wedding presents included gifts from Dudley Rotary Club, the Worcestershire County Lawn Tennis Association, Manor Park Club (Malvern), Edgbaston Club (Birmingham), the Pwllheli Lawn Tennis Club and Messrs Slazenger Ltd.

"Miss Round's hometown of Dudley honoured her last week when the Mayor (Alderman Joseph L. Hillman) on behalf of the council and burgesses of the ancient borough, presented her with a silver tray suitably inscribed, as part of their recognition of her winning the Championships at Wimbledon in July.

"The remainder of the town's gift consisted of a bedroom suite in antique walnut for her new home, Kenwood, Saint James's Road, Dudley, to which she and Dr Leigh Little will return after their honeymoon in Scotland.

"This is the third presentation made by Dudley to the Lady Champion. The first presentation, of a diamond and gold watch, was made in 1933 upon her success in reaching the ladies' singles final at Wimbledon.

"Mrs Little stated last week that a friend remarked at the time: 'Whatever are they going to do if you ever win it?' 'And I did win it the next year,' remarked the Champion. 'The Council asked me what I would like to have for the gift they wished to make. It was suggested I should have a car, but I felt I would like the money to go to the endowment of a cot in the Guest Hospital, so that it would last for all time.'

"With her characteristic generosity the Lady Champion again asked that the money might go to the hospital or other charity when the council approached her about a gift after her second Wimbledon triumph. But the Mayor impressed on her that in view of her approaching marriage her suggestion would be very much against the townspeople's wishes. The choice of a gift was left to her, and in addition to the tray, she chose the bedroom suite, thus indulging her taste for antiques and furniture in antique period."
-----
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote