Maria's Best Clay Performances! - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What is Maria's Best Performance on Clay?

2005 - French Open QF - l. to Justine Henin 2 3.51%
2007 - French Open R16 - def. Schnyder 20 35.09%
2008 - Amelia Island FINAL - def. Cibulkova 5 8.77%
2008 - Charleston QF - l. to S Williams 5 8.77%
2008 - Rome QF - def. Schnyder 4 7.02%
2008 - French Open QF - l. to Safina 7 12.28%
2009 - French Open QF - def. Na Li 7 12.28%
OTHER - Specify! 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #16
country flag toby345

toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future
Re: Maria's Best Clay Performances!

Don't ever remember me of that match against Safina in 2008 But wasn't it 4th round?
toby345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #17
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

2007 against Schnyder was the best match of her, full of drama...

If she had won against Dinara that would have been her best performance

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Robson - Stosur - Cibulkova - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #18
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

Beating Schnyder in 2007 at Roland Garros, beating her with one arm pretty much with such a crazy score was quite something special.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:56 AM   #19
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

IMO the best match maria played on Clay so far is the one against Schnyder in Rome..She was playing really good and she made some amazing and unbelievable points..and the one match I'd like to point out is the one match against Safina in RG 2008..Maria was playing really good but she couldn't finish it out
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:54 PM   #20
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute
The 2009 French Open 2r win over Petrova is the one that springs to mind.
My Eternal Fanship: 1. Monica Seles; 2. Мария Шарапова (‘Maria Sharapova’); 3. Daniela Hantuchovį; 4. Jelena Dokić; 5. Iva Majoli; 6. Karina Habšudovį; 7. Вера Звонарёва (‘Vera Zvonarėva’); 8. Nicole Vaidišovį; 9. Анна Чакветадзе (‘Anna Chakvetadze’); 10. Lucie Šafįřovį; 11. Ирода Туляганова (‘Iroda Tulyaganova’); 12. Magdaléna Rybįrikovį; 13. Sabine Lisicki
andrewbroad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:45 PM   #21
country flag shaktincredible

shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorophyll View Post
I think my personal favourite is the fight back against Mashona Washington in R1 of 2006 RG.
AGREE. She saved two Match-points to avoid 1st round losses at GS. FIGHTERPOVA!!!

SUICIDE title : prague 2009, Moskow 2010, Paris 2011
FITD title : Stuttgart 2012
shaktincredible is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:48 PM   #22
country flag shaktincredible

shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold shaktincredible is a splendid one to behold

must watch video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNK2h...os=Y8Jxp2NW5U8

SUICIDE title : prague 2009, Moskow 2010, Paris 2011
FITD title : Stuttgart 2012
shaktincredible is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:10 PM   #23
country flag Vikapower

Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute

I voted Schnyder Rome 2007 but RG 2007 against Patty was just great. These 2 matches are just plain illustration of the fighting competitive spirit she has even on her worst ever surface.
Vikapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:28 PM   #24
country flag Eduardo Oliveira

Eduardo Oliveira has much to be proud of Eduardo Oliveira has much to be proud of Eduardo Oliveira has much to be proud of Eduardo Oliveira has much to be proud of Eduardo Oliveira has much to be proud of Eduardo Oliveira has much to be proud of Eduardo Oliveira has much to be proud of Eduardo Oliveira has much to be proud of Eduardo Oliveira has much to be proud of Eduardo Oliveira has much to be proud of Eduardo Oliveira has much to be proud of

against Patty..
Nadia was good too.
Against Safina in 2008 was great.
and Domi in AI.. RG 09

Domi | Kim
Eduardo Oliveira is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 07:13 PM   #25
country flag Sharapowerr

Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold

Against Dinara in 2008, Maria should have won that match , but it was Dinara's RG untill the finals.
Sharapowerr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:27 PM   #26
country flag pokey camp

pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summon View Post
Beating Schnyder in 2007 at Roland Garros, beating her with one arm pretty much with such a crazy score was quite something special.
Same goes for v. Safina at 2008 RG. I don't mind that loss at all in retrospect. It was an amazing performance considering the circumstances. One armed, on her worst surface, the entire crowd against her and she still fought like hell and nearly won.

I'd add v. Serena at 2008 Charleston to that list too for the same reasons: Taking Serena to 3 sets on her worst surface with a torn rotator cuff. (A very curious result in retrospect. )

I hated both of those loses at the time, but after the withdrawal from RC and knowing what we know now? Those are two of my favorite Maria matches ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugobosstachini View Post
I voted Schnyder Rome 2007 but RG 2007 against Patty was just great. These 2 matches are just plain illustration of the fighting competitive spirit she has even on her worst ever surface.
Clay really does bring out the best of Maria's fighting spirit. That's why I don't mind the clay season wrt Maria, we usually get at least one classic Fighterpova match a year from it. And that’s why I never rule out the possibility of her eventually winning RG.

My fav: RG 2006 v. Washington.

First Sunday drama. Mashona played amazing. Mashona's dad. The ankle. Three match points. The pigeons. That shot at 6-5, 30-30: "If anyone could, she could."

This:

And the call by Sam Smith: "May well she beat her chest... She was wonder girl out here today."

I'd add Petrova at 2009 RG too. Even though Petrova is a basket case, esp. v. Masha, I still love that match. Nadia didn't blink until the very end with that DF and missed easy FH put away.
pokey camp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:36 AM   #27
country flag claypova
#sugarfamily

claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute

masha def. nadia last year's FO.
claypova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:10 PM   #28
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

The most Dramatic win maria had was against Marona Washington in the first round in Roland Garros 2005 when maria saved 3 match points to win it..
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:18 AM   #29
country flag Mr Brightside

Mr Brightside is an unknown quantity at this point

CLAYPOVA definitely against mashona washington!! classic match!!
Mr Brightside is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #30
country flag joćo.
;

joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute

Dare I say "Other"?
joćo. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote