NCAA Draws Posted - The road to Athens - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 5th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #31
country flag barboza

barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future
Re: NCAA Draws Posted - The road to Athens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
They lost to Duke 5-2 and only won one singles match...we will see.
http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewAr...CLID=204921952

Nope, they won two singles matches and the other three singles went to third sets, with scores of 6-4, 6-4 and 7-6. So very tight matches.. anyway, we'll see if they can pull off the upset. It looks like Duke is weaker this year, while the ACC is gaining momentum. Kind of sad to see Stanford not as dominant as before, but they are the winningest team this season in the nation, having only lost to one school.
barboza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #32
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by barboza View Post
http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewAr...CLID=204921952

Nope, they won two singles matches and the other three singles went to third sets, with scores of 6-4, 6-4 and 7-6. So very tight matches.. anyway, we'll see if they can pull off the upset. It looks like Duke is weaker this year, while the ACC is gaining momentum. Kind of sad to see Stanford not as dominant as before, but they are the winningest team this season in the nation, having only lost to one school.
They have gone through a few rebuilding years. But with Ahn and Gibbs next year, they should be back at the top
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #33
country flag barboza

barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future

How's Cecil doing by the way... too bad she left Duke. I mean, the level between college and pro tennis is just that big -- the reason why so many college players don't transition well into the pros.
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #34
country flag barboza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post
They have gone through a few rebuilding years. But with Ahn and Gibbs next year, they should be back at the top
Yeah.. I still remember when Amber Liu, Anne Yelsey and Alice Barnes were playing. Those were just really hard to beat
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #35
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by barboza View Post
How's Cecil doing by the way... too bad she left Duke. I mean, the level between college and pro tennis is just that big -- the reason why so many college players don't transition well into the pros.
It is too bad. We'd be dominating this year with her at one. Liz Plotkin at the four spot? You kidding me?
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #36
country flag desariofan

desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Ha. There is a big difference between attending and playing tennis at an Ivy than it is at a UF where someone basically writes your essays for you.
i resent that. I say that would prolly happen for football or basketball, but for tennis those girls are not only talented in their sports but also in the classrooms. ANY of these Ivy league schools would kill to get any of those high recruits, but the difference between the Ivy recruits and the Uf recruits are that the girls in UF play amazing tennis and study hard. You can't say the same for the ivies.
desariofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #37
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by desariofan View Post
i resent that. I say that would prolly happen for football or basketball, but for tennis those girls are not only talented in their sports but also in the classrooms. ANY of these Ivy league schools would kill to get any of those high recruits, but the difference between the Ivy recruits and the Uf recruits are that the girls in UF play amazing tennis and study hard. You can't say the same for the ivies.
I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. First of all, Ivies get amazing recruits all of the time. Princeton last year got three of the top fifteen recruits in the country. Second, it's impossible to compare academics at a big state school with academics at an Ivy. Of course, some of these girls are probably putting a lot of effort into their academics, and I'm sure many of them are very intelligent, but the difference is that all athletes have to study hard to stay on top of their work. At larger schools there is a huge range, so you can take very challenging classes and work your ass of, or you can skirt by barely doing any work at all. There is a range at Ivies too, but it is much, much smaller. The reason that these girls who are blue chip recruits usually don't excel like they would at a Florida or a Cal or a Baylor is that they have limitations on practice time, and they have to devote a huge portion of their time to their studies, thus a lot of them drop off from their junior levels, because many were used to being home schooled or taking online classes and playing for six hours a day, which is just impossible at an Ivy.
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #38
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the USC players were dying from writing reports and all that,

sometimes pulling all-niters
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : May 6th, 2010 at 06:58 PM.
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #39
country flag desariofan

desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. First of all, Ivies get amazing recruits all of the time. Princeton last year got three of the top fifteen recruits in the country. Second, it's impossible to compare academics at a big state school with academics at an Ivy. Of course, some of these girls are probably putting a lot of effort into their academics, and I'm sure many of them are very intelligent, but the difference is that all athletes have to study hard to stay on top of their work. At larger schools there is a huge range, so you can take very challenging classes and work your ass of, or you can skirt by barely doing any work at all. There is a range at Ivies too, but it is much, much smaller. The reason that these girls who are blue chip recruits usually don't excel like they would at a Florida or a Cal or a Baylor is that they have limitations on practice time, and they have to devote a huge portion of their time to their studies, thus a lot of them drop off from their junior levels, because many were used to being home schooled or taking online classes and playing for six hours a day, which is just impossible at an Ivy.
thus you prove my point - schools like UF/Baylor/Duke get blue chips girls who play amazing tennis with terrific results are also excellent students, whereas ivy league get blue chip girls who are excellent students but they do not have terrific results (because of long study times, etc).

my point really was that it wasn't fair to say the girls from UF or such hit good tennis and don't study hard. Don't forget UF belongs in the same tier in the rankings (top 50) as all the ivy league schools are.
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #40
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
thus you prove my point - schools like UF/Baylor/Duke get blue chips girls who play amazing tennis with terrific results are also excellent students, whereas ivy league get blue chip girls who are excellent students but they do not have terrific results (because of long study times, etc).

my point really was that it wasn't fair to say the girls from UF or such hit good tennis and don't study hard. Don't forget UF belongs in the same tier in the rankings (top 50) as all the ivy league schools are.
People at Duke can take classes at UNC. Not many people do because most Duke departments won't count UNC classes because they are considered not challenging enough. Some of my friends who are B students at best at Duke took Organic Chemistry at Carolina over the summer. They both got A's without working very hard.

UNC is a tougher school than UF, and Duke has some "athlete" classes that Princeton just doesn't have. Thus, I would expect the gap between UF and Princeton to be even greater than the gap between Duke and UNC. Comparing Princeton and UF for student athletes is just silly. UF is a great school. Princeton is one of the best universities in the world.
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #41
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, but no. Sure if you are a student-athlete at UF you can work hard in the classroom. But typically, due to the IMMENSE amount of help the student-athlete's have, they can get by with decent grades without cracking open a book. The advisors, the special tutors, the special classes and privleges that are provided for athletes at UF are disgusting. The reason those Ivies don't have the top ranked teams despite getting some of the best recruits is because they adhere to NCAA rules and school comes first for these teams. This is absolutely NOT the case at a UF. And to group Duke and UF together is absolutely absurd. I guarantee mboyle can attest that the girls on the Duke team work very hard outside of the tennis court, the same with Stanford girls. The academic standards for these girls are significantly more rigorous than at UF. And believe me, not to bring in names, but there is a reason Embree and Will went to UF and not an Ivy, Stanford, or Duke.
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #42
country flag mboyle

Quote:
Sorry, but no. Sure if you are a student-athlete at UF you can work hard in the classroom. But typically, due to the IMMENSE amount of help the student-athlete's have, they can get by with decent grades without cracking open a book. The advisors, the special tutors, the special classes and privleges that are provided for athletes at UF are disgusting. The reason those Ivies don't have the top ranked teams despite getting some of the best recruits is because they adhere to NCAA rules and school comes first for these teams. This is absolutely NOT the case at a UF. And to group Duke and UF together is absolutely absurd. I guarantee mboyle can attest that the girls on the Duke team work very hard outside of the tennis court, the same with Stanford girls. The academic standards for these girls are significantly more rigorous than at UF. And believe me, not to bring in names, but there is a reason Embree and Will went to UF and not an Ivy, Stanford, or Duke.
Reka is actually pre-med at Duke and she's on track to graduate Magna Cum Laude (3.85+GPA). She's not taking bunny classes. She's taking Molecular Biology, Organic Chemistry and Physics with all the other students. Kelly McCain (Duke 2002?) won the Rhodes Scholarship.
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #43
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Quote:
Reka is actually pre-med at Duke and she's on track to graduate Magna Cum Laude (3.85+GPA). She's not taking bunny classes. She's taking Molecular Biology, Organic Chemistry and Physics with all the other students. Kelly McCain (Duke 2002?) won the Rhodes Scholarship.

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #44
country flag Amalgamate

Quote:
Good for her Case rested.
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #45
country flag desariofan

Quote:
People at Duke can take classes at UNC. Not many people do because most Duke departments won't count UNC classes because they are considered not challenging enough. Some of my friends who are B students at best at Duke took Organic Chemistry at Carolina over the summer. They both got A's without working very hard.

UNC is a tougher school than UF, and Duke has some "athlete" classes that Princeton just doesn't have. Thus, I would expect the gap between UF and Princeton to be even greater than the gap between Duke and UNC. Comparing Princeton and UF for student athletes is just silly. UF is a great school. Princeton is one of the best universities in the world.
How did Princeton even come into the conversation? Regardless, you've really missed my point. But good to know what you had to say.