How was Steffi Graf career in early 90s,if she had no dad scandal in 1990 ? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 4th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #31
country flag nat75

nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold
Re: How was Steffi Graf career in early 90s,if she had no dad scandal in 1990 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart View Post
It is obvious that Steffi lost those five times in a row against Gaby not because Gaby was better but because she was fixated on the fact that she was an ugly horse facing a beautiful rose.

Of course, in the end she remembered that horses eat roses.
nat75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #32
country flag nat75

nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold

Hey, Kart! You may like this:

nat75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #33
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

Of course Steffi overcame pain in the end and she turned into flower power Steffi!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWCnYMizr1s
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night

Last edited by irma : May 5th, 2010 at 06:49 AM.
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #34
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Horses are beautiful animals, and they last longer than roses.
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #35
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

could anybody tell me ,when she stated that "i can't fight as usual". May be i think at the end of 90,but at what tournament?
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #36
country flag Warriorroger

Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold

Of course the scandal must have been extremely painful for Steffi and her loved ones, but I also think without it Seles would have done damage. I don't read many discussions where the racket (Dunlop MAX 200G) is part of the topic. To play like she did with that racket is amazing, but a player like Seles hit faster and harder (consistently) than any other opponent and it is difficult to react with a ''stiff'' racket like the Dunlop. Being naturally late with a racket like that against power and angles like Seles' takes a lot of effort, on top of being mentally fragile at the time and you have a winner. But Monica (and Gabriela)forced Steffi to rethink her game and remember her strenghts. IMO the racket had just as much to do with the demise as the scandal.
Warriorroger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #37
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation

"Demise" seems a strong word:-) I think all these things - growing up, dad, racquet, Seles contributed to the 90-91 dip. By 92, she was doing better off court, adjusting game, much improved (although not entirely consistent) form in 92, Gundhardt coaching, and rising game for all those reasons. I think it's natural and inevitable in a long career to have ebbs and flows on top form.
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #38
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think it's natural and inevitable in a long career to have ebbs and flows on top form.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #39
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

Can we then take into account the stabbing of Monica Seles, the defection of Martina Navratilova and the scolding of Martina by spectators when they knew she was gay etc. etc. Do not you think all these things affected the players.
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #40
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

Something was up with Graf as early as early 1990, when she looked listless in the Aussie. (the book Hard Courts goes into more details).

The Nicole Meissner thing must have been a shock, but when did she know? Was it when the press broke the story or before?

When did her parents separate?

And tough as all that was to take, to me her father going to jail for tax evasion would have been even tougher. That's me though-heck, by that time one hopes Steffi had on some thick armor to protect her emotionally.

All of these things surely had a negative impact on her tennis and contributed to the "slump" some talk about in the early 90s.

I agree, Rollo and Steffi says something similar in this article http://news.google.co.uk/newspapers?...2512%2C2959165

It definitely did affect her on court and she's honest enough to admit that here. There's no denying though that Seles was too good most of this time, regardless of off court issues.
raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #41
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehardwick View Post
"Demise" seems a strong word:-) I think all these things - growing up, dad, racquet, Seles contributed to the 90-91 dip. By 92, she was doing better off court, adjusting game, much improved (although not entirely consistent) form in 92, Gundhardt coaching, and rising game for all those reasons. I think it's natural and inevitable in a long career to have ebbs and flows on top form.
Yes, demise is an absolutely inappropriate word. Then again it shows you the standards that Graf set (and it mirrors the standards Federer is establishing today.....recall how in 2008 Federer's career was supposedly in the dustbin? And how everyone was predicting he would be overtaken by Nadal, Djoker, and everyone? And today Federer is still #1 and holder of 3 of 4 majors!)

As for Graf back in 1990-1991, yes she had off court issues. But that's part of life.

Interesting too that in 1990, Seles and Graf faced off only 2 times: the German and French finals one month apart. Seles won two close straight set matches. While Seles won many tournaments from 1990-1992, she still had a losing record vs Graf. And while Sabatini had a winning record vs Graf from 1991-1992, Graf still won their most important meetings, and not once did she slip behind Sabatini in the rankings.

Amazing to me that players call Graf's drop to #2 in the rankings a "demise". A player like Sabatini - never higher than #3 - would love to have such a "demise"!
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #42
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Interesting too that in 1990, Seles and Graf faced off only 2 times: the German and French finals one month apart. Seles won two close straight set matches. While Seles won many tournaments from 1990-1992, she still had a losing record vs Graf. And while Sabatini had a winning record vs Graf from 1991-1992, Graf still won their most important meetings, and not once did she slip behind Sabatini in the rankings.
Interesting indded. Life and tennis are full of such ironies. Martinez winning Wimbledon rather than the French still gets me. Martina had the same type of thing going on in 1987-she stuggled mightily in regular tour events but beat Steffi at Wimbledon and the US Open-Graf's only loses all year.

Re Sabatini-how right you are. How she would love to trade her wins over Steffi in regular events for a few extra points to grab the Wimbledon plate in 1991!
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #43
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thanks for the link Raquel!

Reading all of that from the horse's mouth (sorry-bad pun!) was enlightening. When she said she never read the newspapers (except at Leipzig) my first thought was I wouldn't have either in her shoes.
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #44
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

The news was released during German open 1990 and she didn't fight as usual from then. Link:http://www.people.com/people/archive...118319,00.html
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #45
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat75 View Post
Hey, Kart! You may like this:

I might have to make that my new avatar.
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote