Article: WHEN WILL ALEXANDRA STEVENSON CALL IT A CAREER? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 11th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #1
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Article: WHEN WILL ALEXANDRA STEVENSON CALL IT A CAREER?

WHEN WILL ALEXANDRA STEVENSON CALL IT A CAREER?
Posted by WTM on April 11, 2010 ·

By Charles Bricker

Could this be the loss, a double-bagel to No. 140 Ekaterina Ivanova on Saturday afternoon, that finally drives Ms. 15 Minutes of Fame Alexandra Stevenson into retirement?

Not match retirement. She’s done that 42 times over a career that has gotten far more publicity than it deserved. But retirement retirement.

How Stevenson, ranked No. 248, got a wild card into the qualifying at the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, S.C., is a mystery to everyone but tournament organizers, but she hardly made them look good.

She was outscored 25-5 in the opening set of this 6-0, 6-0 humiliation, outscored 51-15 for the match (an average of 1.25 points per game) and was on and off the court in 51 minutes on the first day of quallies. Her next stop? Heaven only knows. But there are undoubtedly a great number of people who would tell you it’s time at age 29 to quit her day job and find a more fruitful career.

This was only Stevenson’s third match of 2010 — all qualifiers — and she deserves some credit for finishing the match. After retiring from seven matches with various ailments in 2009, she quit her previous two this year, the last time in a $25,000 Futures event in Clearwater, Fla.

She hasn’t been in the main draw of a regular Sony Ericsson WTA Tour tournament since the folks in Charleston gave her a wild card into the Family Circle Cup a year ago. She hasn’t won a main draw match in a regular tournament since the 2008 Family Circle Cup.

Her life these days consists of bouncing from one backwater tournament to another — a Grand Canyon of difference from her rookie season in 1999, when, out of nowhere, she reached the semifinals of Wimbledon and acknowledged that she was the out-of-wedlock daughter of pro basketball icon Julius Erving.

Since then. . .virtually nothing. She has been beset by injuries, primarily to her right shoulder, and by the mismanagement of her career. Coaches have quit on her because they were unable to work with her mother, who still accompanies her daughter as a “coach” to all her tournaments.

She broke into tennis in controversy with mother Samantha claiming the WTA Tour was rife with lesbians, and controversy sometimes still follows her. Two years ago at the Canadian Open qualifying, she was beaten in the first round by Ahsha Rolle of Miami, losing match point on a “hindrance” after she screamed “out” on a ball not called out by the linespersons.

Journalists at that match reported that her mother used foul language in criticizing the chair umpire and Alexandra was reported to have dropped a couple of F bombs in comments to the umpire, who had ruled hindrance and given the match point to Rolle.

Not everything has gone badly for the Stevensons. A year ago, in a warm, fuzzy story for ESPN, she revealed how she had reunited with Erving, from whom she had been estranged for years, and Erving is believed to have helped fund Stevenson’s tennis career, which no longer is making much money.

She hasn’t appeared in a Grand Slam main draw since the 2004 U.S. Open and, since that amazing run at the 1999 Wimbledon, she is only 4-19 in Grand Slam matches. She’s gone out in 10 of the last 11 first rounds she’s played at majors.

Meanwhile, the mid-match retirements have rolled up. The women’s tour doesn’t keep statistics on how many matches players quit, but 42 must be a record. By far.

And Alexandra Stevenson and her mother continue to plod on.

http://www.worldtennismagazine.com/archives/1987

Last edited by auntie janie : Apr 11th, 2010 at 12:27 PM.
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #2
country flag ce

ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Article: WHEN WILL ALEXANDRA STEVENSON CALL IT A CAREER?

poor Alexandra

The Empress.

17 and counting...
ce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #3
country flag Marcell

Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't Charles Bricker the one that revealed that Julius Irving was her father?
Marcell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #4
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ce View Post
poor Alexandra

why? hasn't she made her bed?
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #5
country flag Nicolas

Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute

Ms. 15 Minutes of Fame
Nicolas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #6
country flag Bijoux0021

Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute

When she stops being in denial.

*B
artoli*Haynes *A.Bondarenko*Safarova*Zheng*

*Federer*Nadal*Djokovic*Blake*Baghdatis*Safin*Monfils*Moya*

*Santoro*Mirnyi*Tsonga*Young*Gulbis*Murray*
Bijoux0021 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #7
country flag Ferg

Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute

Bitch should never quit. Ever.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #8
country flag toby345

toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future toby345 has a brilliant future

The final retirement? Probably in 2012 and after that the world will end.
toby345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #9
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like a mean-spirited article, but you can't argue it is not accurate either. I can't believe she's 29!
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #10
country flag cellophane

cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute

I think her retirements suck and she may be a bitch, but she can quit when she wants to

"I wish I were as aggressive and serious as those floors too!!" - GOAT Cynthia Zimmerman
cellophane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #11
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

"How Stevenson, ranked No. 248, got a wild card into the qualifying at the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, S.C., is a mystery to everyone but tournament organizers, but she hardly made them look good."

Not to stick up for Alex or anything(), but she didn't need a WC to get into qualis. She got in on her own ranking. A little research goes a long way Mr Bricker
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #12
country flag Carsten
Andy!

Carsten has a reputation beyond repute Carsten has a reputation beyond repute Carsten has a reputation beyond repute Carsten has a reputation beyond repute Carsten has a reputation beyond repute Carsten has a reputation beyond repute Carsten has a reputation beyond repute Carsten has a reputation beyond repute Carsten has a reputation beyond repute Carsten has a reputation beyond repute Carsten has a reputation beyond repute

after she won Wimbledon.
Carsten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #13
country flag MegaDethly

MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of

That guy's a failboating douche-canoe. How dare he give such subjective and hateful opinions about a currently active tennis player. Mysoginistic, hateful, bitter, jealous creep.

Before she does anything she should ditch her momzilla and strike out on her own with a new coach. She should never quit her dreams until she has made that choice, and no doubt it will be a very personal one indeed.

Single-handed backhands where you at............
I'll say not one, but two nice things about Henin:
I) she's retired;
II) she hasn't bred yet.
MegaDethly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #14
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie janie View Post
Two years ago at the Canadian Open qualifying, she was beaten in the first round by Ahsha Rolle of Miami, losing match point on a “hindrance” after she screamed “out” on a ball not called out by the linespersons.
oh, i had never heard of this incident. another classy and decorative sidestory to this brilliant career.

Beat is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #15
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat View Post
oh, i had never heard of this incident. another classy and decorative sidestory to this brilliant career.
Most journalists are muzzled through fear of Samantha Stevenson. So the best stories never get out. Bricker may be a curmudgeon, but at least he's got the guts to tell the truth about Mad Sam.
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote