Just some thoughts on Oklahoma.
1. Why in my humble opinion they're over ranked.
- Oklahoma defeated at the time #30 Alabama 4-3 early in the season which got Oklahoma ranked #36 the following week. However 2 of Alabama's returning starters from last season, which helped Alabama get a high pre-season ranking, were missing against Oklahoma including Alabama's #1 last season Tiffany Welcher.
- Oklahoma's best and only win over a top 55 team this season was against #35 Tulsa. Oklahoma defeated Tulsa 4-3, however Tulsa's regular #2 Anastasia Erofeeva was missing from Tulsa's singles line-up.
2. Below were Oklahoma's ranked wins and why they may be on shaky ground.
- #35 Tulsa = Ranking headed upward.
- #57 Oklahoma St.
= Ranking will surely drop. One of their ranked wins in Wichita St. lost their ranking this week. This will pull down OSU's ranking several spots. Also OSU just lost to Nebraska and will probably lose to Texas in the Big 12 tournament.
- #64 Alabama = Ranking headed downward. Was upset by #74 LSU in the SEC tournament.
- #65 College of Charleston
= May lose ranking. One of their only 2 ranked wins, Charleston Southern, fell out of the rankings this week.
- #68 Colorado = Ranking headed downward. Has lost 3 straight and will probably lose to Baylor in the Big 12 tournament.
- #70 Texas Tech = Ranking headed downward. Will probably play Nebraska in Big 12 Tournament. Only ranked wins are over #57 Oklahoma St. and #68 Colorado, see above.
- Wichita State
= Lost their ranking this week. This may pull Oklahoma's ranking down a few spots.
It will be interesting to see if Oklahoma's #37 ranking slides out of NCAA At-large contention by season's end.
For those saying not to assume, this is the type of analysis I perform for all the at-large contenders before projecting a lock or elimination.