Interesting Articles/News about Justine - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 30th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #1
country flag j-fan

j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of
Interesting Articles/News about Justine

Like everyone here, I have been really depressed especially at this time of the year. I can't watch any matches because the sound of tennis ball hitting the court just makes my crystal ball

So I think I'll start a new thread where fans can share their favourate old articles/pictures and post new ones to keep everyone up-to-date on what is happening to Justine as well as to themselves. I hope we can keep this thread going forever and, most likely, we'll need our Belgium fans to provide the latest news.

To start off, here is one of the first article that I have read about Justine as well as one of my favorate. After this, I kept my eyes open for the first opportunity to see her play. And that was the SF in Wimbledon against Capriati. It was love at first sight and the rest is history.

Eurocard Ladies German Open - Semi Final:
Return of finesse: Justine Henin
by Christopher Bowers

May 14, 2001 -- Old-school tennis fans might wonder how exciting the women's pro game might be if the current stars' games were as diverse and distinct as the players' personas. All but the most knowledgeable students of technique might be led to believe the top players appear to play the same game: They all seem to hit from the baseline, most with two-handed backhands. The status quo lends itself to a perceived absence of finesse on the Sanex WTA Tour.

And that's why Justine Henin seems a breath of fresh air. The 18-year-old Belgian, who beat -- no, thrashed -- Venus Williams in Berlin -- is breaking onto the scene just in time to offer a rush of variety to the pro game.

All of Henin's matches in Berlin were a joy to watch, and the disappointment around the Rot-Weiss Club -- after she had retired from her semifinal loss to Jennifer Capriati with a twisted ankle -- was palpable. It was as if the audience had been robbed of the last act of a dramatic play unfolding and they would go home without knowing whether the butler really did do it.

Capriati was unusually eloquent: 'We'll never know who would have won the match.'

What makes Henin special is a mixture of enthusiasm and variety. Her dark brown eyes dominate a very studious face framed by streakily dyed blond hair, and she is much quicker to show a sense of politeness than humor. She exudes enthusiasm on the court. She winds up her big forehand with a flourish. Her sliced backhand is a model of fluency à la Evonne Goolagong or Jana Novotna, and when she plays her single-handed topspin backhand it is like a swordsman flashing a shining blade in combat. Never mind that she often loses her balance on that shot, threatening to fall backwards; it's a technical flaw that will need ironing out, but somehow it adds to the panache.

'I'm not a strong player,' she says less out of modesty than an assured assessment of her own strengths and weaknesses. 'I don't like to be on my baseline to do a lot of rallies, I like to go to the net, to be aggressive, to play my game. I enjoy tennis like that.'

She is also one of the smallest players on the circuit, at 1.66 meters or 5'5'. When she beat Venus Williams several journalists noted that she was giving away eight inches in height to the world No 2. But what she lacks in height Henin makes up in a mixture of great court awareness and speed. But, this is where her main problem arises.

Though recognized as an immense talent since she won her first tournament two years ago at age 16, she has suffered from a number of injuries. It seems that Henin can't go more than four weeks without some physical setback. Last year it was an arm injury that forced her to miss much of the clay-court season, then a foot injury that caused her withdrawal from two autumn events, plus an inflammation of the toe joints.

She knew she had to do something to combat these setbacks. 'I did a lot work,' she explains, 'A lot of running, a lot of fitness, a lot of power, a lot of everything because I had to. I had to be more consistent, and physically to work very much. Now my injuries are in the past and I'm fit to play each tournament without any problems.'

The reward for that improved fitness came right at the start of the year when she won back-to-back titles in Australia (Gold Coast and Canberra). While they were moderately minor tournaments, she came within six points of beating Monica Seles in the fourth round of the Australian Open, having led 4-2 in the second and third sets.

Yet the idea that her injuries were in the past wasn't quite borne out. A fatigue-related illness caused her to miss the European tournaments in February. She bounced back in April, and last week announced her presence with her emphatic 6-1, 6-4 win over Williams, which could have been 6-1, 6-3 given that she missed two match points at 5-3.

Again the fitness problem clicked in. Having fought back to take the second set off Capriati after the American had played near faultless tennis in the first, she turned her ankle at 1-2 40-30 in the final set, and that was it. Her face was a picture of disappointment as she limped back to Belgium and pulled out of this week's tournament in Rome.

Of course she is not the first player to have turned her ankle on a tennis court -- a 16-year-old Boris Becker was stretchered off Court 1 at Wimbledon in 1984 after turning his ankle, and he didn't do too badly after that. But with all her injuries, another setback could do damage to Henin's belief in her body and might threaten one of the most exciting talents to break onto the Sanex WTA Tour. She needs to make sure it doesn't become a mental thing.

If she can continue her good year and break into the Top 10, she won't be the only person there with an all-court game and a one-handed top-spin backhand. Amelie Mauresmo is in terrific form thanks to having a few more options than many top-tenners, and Conchita Martinez makes great use of her single-handed backhand.

But neither has quite the on-court awareness of Henin. On countless occasions against Williams and Capriati she put together a combination of punches that made use of every square centimeter of the court -- the big forehand and flashing backhand getting her opponent out of position, and then an exquisite killer drop shot. It was connoisseur's tennis, and it should be a terrific boon to the women's game.

Adieu Justine. There'll never be another one like you

j-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #2
country flag psychoblood

psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all
Re: Interesting Articles/News about Justine

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-fan View Post
When she plays her single-handed topspin backhand it is like a swordsman flashing a shining blade in combat. Never mind that she often loses her balance on that shot, threatening to fall backwards; it's a technical flaw that will need ironing out, but somehow it adds to the panache.
This bit made me giggle
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #3
country flag shell

shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoblood View Post
This bit made me giggle
Yeah, I hope she manages to iron it out as she heads into the ripe old age of 19. Somehow I think she will. I will go out on a limb and say that almost 10 years from then she would be known to have the most beautiful backhand and all court game in the history of tennis. I dare anyone to counter that prediction.

Thanks for bringing back the great memories. This should be a great thread.
shell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #4
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

She has got to come back, even if it is just as a part time player! Next year with no ranking points to defend, nothing to prove, she could have a more relaxed and successful second carrer. I can dream, can^t I?
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:54 AM   #5
country flag cintatenis

cintatenis is a name known to all cintatenis is a name known to all cintatenis is a name known to all cintatenis is a name known to all cintatenis is a name known to all cintatenis is a name known to all cintatenis is a name known to all cintatenis is a name known to all cintatenis is a name known to all cintatenis is a name known to all cintatenis is a name known to all

Nice article. I hope its title will happen again near in the future
cintatenis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:17 PM   #6
country flag Ceri

Ceri has much to be proud of Ceri has much to be proud of Ceri has much to be proud of Ceri has much to be proud of Ceri has much to be proud of Ceri has much to be proud of Ceri has much to be proud of Ceri has much to be proud of Ceri has much to be proud of Ceri has much to be proud of Ceri has much to be proud of

great article, thanks for posting.

- Sharapova - Kerber - Serena - Halep - Mladenovic -

'I had plenty of boyfriends and lots of affairs, but they got furious when I made my name. People would ring up and ask me out. I'd say: "But I'm writing." 'And they'd say: "I see. You're too grand for us now." 'And I'd say: "Actually, I've always been too grand for you."
Muriel Spark
Ceri is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:38 PM   #7
pigam

pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute

thx! it was a nice read

Justine: feb. 5, 2007:

"I hung on to tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years. It is something that is in me, it is me."
pigam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:21 PM   #8
country flag cecilija

cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of

Heh at the date of that article
cecilija is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:11 PM   #9
country flag Kampi

Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute

Happy birthday Justine

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in Australia, in France, in Great Britain and in the United States, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence (mental) and growing strength (physical) in the air (serve and volley), we shall defend our lovely Island (Jelena), whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches (clay-courts), we shall fight on the landing grounds (hard-courts), we shall fight in the fields (grass-courts) and in the streets (WTAworld), we shall fight in the hills(reaching the top) we shall and we will never surrender.“ GO JJ.........AMEN
Kampi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 03:54 PM   #10
country flag j-fan

j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of j-fan has much to be proud of

At least one article that paid proper respect to a retired champion.

Weakened women's draw left struggling to find a worthy champion

Svetlana Kuznetsova, the one player who might, on past form, be termed a deserved winner in Paris, remains unconvincing on clay

Jon Henderson guardian.co.uk,
Saturday May 31 2008
Article history

It might be overstating it to say that an undeserving case will win the women's title at this year's French Open - but not by much. The sudden retirement of Justine Henin of Belgium just before the event removed the one outstanding clay-court player from the championship and meant only one former winner, Serena Williams, went into the draw.

Williams won the championship in 2002, when she was leaner and fitter, and demonstrated her shortcomings on the surface on Friday when she lost haplessly in the third round to Katarina Srebotnik, a stolid rather than stellar Slovenian who has spent years on the tour achieving very little in singles.

Henin's immediate withdrawal from the tour – "I'm growing up and I need different things" - was one more blow to the women's game. It followed the retirement of her compatriot Kim Clijsters, another accomplished clay-courter who decided matrimony and motherhood were more her thing, and the sudden departure of Martina Hingis, twice a runner-up at the French and three times a semi-finalist, after she tested positive for cocaine. Amélie Mauresmo, who won two grand slams in 2006, might have been a challenger of genuine quality this time but she was hampered by injury and departed meekly, beaten in the second round by Carla Suarez Navarro, a teenage qualifier from Spain.

The one player who remains who might, on past form, be termed a worthy winner if she goes all the way to the title is the Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova. She, at least, is the one whom Henin said she would like to see take over her crown. But Kuznetsova has never been entirely convincing on clay and was soundly beaten by Henin when she made it to the 2006 French final. Hard courts are where this sturdily built athlete - her father is a renowned cycling coach - has established her reputation, particularly those at Flushing Meadows where she won the US title in 2004 and reached the final again last year.

Kuznetsova's progress to the last 16 in Paris today was emphatic but not as impressive as the score - 6-2, 6-1 against fellow Russian Nadia Petrova - suggests. A poor match in front of a sparse crowd on Court Philippe-Chatrier contained 38 unforced errors, Petrova winning this particular contest by 22 mistakes to 16.

Kuznetsova is pretty good at coming out on top in matches she should win but is not so dependable in matches she could win if she really dug deep. So far this year she has reached three finals and lost them all, which is not a good record for someone of her pedigree.

The depleted quality of this year's field may be what Kuznetsova needs to break through to win the highest honour in the clay-court game, although she should not take her fourth-round opponent for granted. Victoria Azarenka, an 18-year-old from Belarus, has made strikingly good progress through the draw thus far, confirming the sort of clay-court form that has carried her into the world's top 20. She has dropped no more than three games in a set in her first three victories, sweeping through 6-1, 6-1 today against the experienced Italian Francesca Schiavone. "Sveta is a great player and it's always going to be tough to play against her," Azarenka said of her match against Kuznetsova. "But I feel pretty confident now and I think I can do a good job."

By her own admission, Maria Sharapova, who inherited the position of top seed when Henin retired, would not qualify as an outstanding champion if she were to win the title. She has described herself as being "like a cow on ice" when she plays on the shifting dirt of Roland Garros and at times during the first 80 minutes of her third-round match today against the Italian Karin Knapp, did not look even as elegant as this. She was much steadier in the second set as she went through 7-6 (7-4), 6-0.

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #11
country flag j-fan

Is the OS offline now??? I couldn't access it for two days now.

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #12
country flag psychoblood

psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all psychoblood is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-fan View Post
Is the OS offline now??? I couldn't access it for two days now.

I'm not having an issue with OS over at my end...
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #13
country flag j-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoblood View Post
I'm not having an issue with OS over at my end...
Thanks. I was using the old www.henin-hardenne.be. I guess they finally drop that.

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #14
country flag janjan

janjan is just really nice janjan is just really nice janjan is just really nice janjan is just really nice janjan is just really nice janjan is just really nice janjan is just really nice janjan is just really nice janjan is just really nice janjan is just really nice janjan is just really nice

Thank you j-fan,nice article
I hadn't known Justine at Berlin 2001.
So it's very interesting.
janjan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #15
country flag vejh

vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future

I do feel sincerely that there isn't a 'worthy champion' on the stuff. It certainly seems that no player has been able to do consistent clay-court, beautiful tennis at FO 2008
vejh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote