When will the next Star emerge in women's tennis? - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 24th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #106
country flag duhcity
moderately sarcastic

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When will the next Star emerge in women's tennis?

Still sticking with Madison Keys being a multiple-slam star.

instargram
duhcity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 24th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #107
coolfish1103

coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
the reason why young girls can't break through in today's game is well known and discussed to death already - the physicality and experience of older women is too much for them to overcome. The same is happening to ATP tennis as well, with Top players getting older year by year exponentially. Unless some physical freak like Nadull or young fearless ubertalented starlet like Sharapova (the last teenage GS winner) emerges, this trend will continue. Out of the current youngsters, Robson is already too old and her movement and mentality leave a lot to be desired on a tennis court. I'm not familiar with other 14-17 year old girls, since they are ranked too low anyway and can't break that physical barrier of today's tour...
This.

All the girls 20 years old and younger can't do shit to experienced veterans on sight. By the time all the ladies in the late 20s/early 30s retire, these girls will no longer be young enough to provide stellar star results. We won't see another Serena slam result from this group for sure, maybe a Clijsters.

Britain has been long awaiting for a girl to rise but apparently the wrong one came up (Watson). With the Olympics year gone, which is the scramble year for low ranked girls to win titles, 2013 to 2015 is going to be a disaster for the youngsters to win anything. Wait for 2016 for some decent breakthroughs, and Robson/Vekic won't be part of that young group after four years.
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #108
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

I think Laura will have a very good career. Whether she'll be a top 20, top 10 or even a slam winning player remains to be seen. But regardless of that, I don't object to the hype. It's all publicity for the wta and in the end everyone profits from that, because the more attention Robson gets the more attention womens tennis gets. It's all relative anyway and I don't see why you should need to win a slam to get lots of attention. In football the 1000th best player in the world probably gets more attention than even some of the top 10 players get in tennis. I have my newspaper in front of me and like on most days there are about 15 pages about the Belgian competition in there, and to call the Belgian competition a MM competition is the understatement of the century. If they get 15 pages Laura Robson deserves a whole newspaper in comparison.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #109
country flag jj74

jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
pls show me the one who predicted that blond teenager would win at Wimbledon 2004?
I remember watching that Maria reached the final and thinking, that's really good, but the poor thing is going to be totally destroyed by Serena.

Most players need a good time at the top before being really contenders on GS, but sometimes that's not the case. Sometimes the player just rise her level and grab the opportunity.
I don't know if Laura will win a GS, but i think she will, and maybe it won't need that much time, in tennis things (sometimes) change really fast
jj74 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #110
country flag jj74

jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute

And about the physical challenge, i don't agree.
Yes, tennis is more physical right now, so it's more difficult for a teen made good results, but you have Vaidisova's results with 15, 16 or 17 that were impressive, and that wasn't much time ago. Yes, she didn't take the final step, but it's pretty clear that some players have the physical to compete at a very young age.
You even can say the same about men. Most of them are not competitive till 20 (and generally 21 or 22), but Nadal at 17 defeated a lot of top players. And women mature at a younger age.

We can say there's a norm that make more difficult to have impressive results at a young age (but sometimes is not the physical aspect but the mental one, the one who keeps players underperforming till they are more mature) but there can be exceptions
jj74 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #111
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute

So much talk about Robson already And people still question if she becomes the next pin-up girl? Seriously? There's only one answer to that question whether one likes it or not.
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14, Washington '14
Monzanator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #112
country flag Wilson_07

Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLaura View Post
IKR!

No one expected Masha to beat LordRena in Wimby F 2004, and she did. (Unlikely she will ever again though) but she still did so.

You need the physical attributes to be an amazing female tennis player but you also need the right Mental Strength to prosper and take WTA by storm. Once youngsters coming up realise that, there could be some breakthroughs....
I doubt it's enough to realise something like that though. I think you need to have this kind of mental toughess and believe inside you from the start. Some people grow up and have it and some just don't, I don't believe you can actually learn mental toughness.
There still might be ways to work on it and try to improve it a bit, but if your personality is like that very early on you have an advantage in my opinion.
Wilson_07 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #113
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I have my newspaper in front of me and like on most days there are about 15 pages about the Belgian competition in there, and to call the Belgian competition a MM competition is the understatement of the century. If they get 15 pages Laura Robson deserves a whole newspaper in comparison.
What's the current situation in Belgium? Will we see a new Clijsters/Henin soon?

Here in CZ, tennis coaches complain that lots of kids are lazy and too attached to their laptops and iPads so they have to be pushed big to do hard physical work/training.

I guess it may be similar or even worse in Belgium.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #114
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Robson can be a star even if she's "only" a top 15 player.
She has more personality than all these PR robots and she doesn't sound fake at all like some others.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #115
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
What's the current situation in Belgium? Will we see a new Clijsters/Henin soon?

Here in CZ, tennis coaches complain that lots of kids are lazy and too attached to their laptops and iPads so they have to be pushed big to do hard physical work/training.

I guess it may be similar or even worse in Belgium.
I guess it's virtually the same everywhere. But if they have to be forced into doing it they won't get anywhere anyway I think, because the passion just isn't there.

But yes, there are a few promising players around like Alison Van Uytvanck and An-Sophie Mestach, although both are stagnating a bit at the moment. They might still have a decent career, but nowhere near the level of a Clijsters or Henin, or even Wickmayer to be honest. But we have David Goffin who's just 21 years old and he did great in 2012. Made the last 16 of the FO where he pushed Federer to four sets, he beat Tomic at Wimbledon and ended the season ranked 42. He's physically not that imposing, but he's got heart and they are promising resuts.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #116
pav

pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute

They are standing around gazing into the distance awaiting the arrival of Paige Houigan.
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #117
country flag MyskinaManiac

MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future

Based on the type of players the Czech's, Pole's and German's are putting on the tour I strongly believe a larger wave of crafty, heavy hitting and very fit players will emerge within the the next ten years. From these nations it'll be like the next Russian wave.
MyskinaManiac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #118
country flag MrProdigy555
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute

^The Americans also seem to be doing quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
Don't make me come to T&T to huff and puff and blow your hut down, girl.
Fuck y'all
MrProdigy555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote