When will the next Star emerge in women's tennis? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 4th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #31
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When will the next Star emerge in women's tennis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffica Greles View Post
When will the next Star emerge in women's tennis?

By the term 'star', I simply mean someone with a game which is clearly of slam-winning potential, some level above the ordinary.
Possibly never.

This has been going on for too long now for it to be a mere coincidence. And the collective failure of Generation Suck is now beyond reasonable doubt.

The gifted athletes are increasingly gravitating towards team sports, and in today's world I just don't see that many young girls willing to endure the huge levels of commitment and monastic discipline required to eventually become an all-time great.

The way I see it, we're headed into a Tour in which nobody is outstandingly good, with as many as 10-20 players, some little more than upgraded journeywomen (i.e. the 2018 equivalents of Pennetta or Alona Bondarenko), contending for every major title.
Corswandt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 5th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #32
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
Possibly never.

This has been going on for too long now for it to be a mere coincidence. And the collective failure of Generation Suck is now beyond reasonable doubt.

The gifted athletes are increasingly gravitating towards team sports, and in today's world I just don't see that many young girls willing to endure the huge levels of commitment and monastic discipline required to eventually become an all-time great.

The way I see it, we're headed into a Tour in which nobody is outstandingly good, with as many as 10-20 players, some little more than upgraded journeywomen (i.e. the 2018 equivalents of Pennetta or Alona Bondarenko), contending for every major title.
Ouch!
Olórin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #33
country flag Joana

Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly what Steffica Greles is talking about. When I first saw Sharapova, at Wimbledon '03, I immediately saw someone who was going to win Slams in the future. And only a year later, watching her match against Hantuchova it crossed my mind that she could actually win the title that year. And she was only 17.
And that was 6 years ago and nobody similar has shown up. Mayyybe Ivanovic and Vaidisova, at a lesser rate, but Ana has apparently made a Faustian pact to get to her Slam and Nicole, well, yeah.
I'm too starting to think there will never be another tennis supernova again.
Joana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #34
country flag tonybotz

tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future

i too wonder who the next BIG thing will be. there doesn't seem to be ANY great athlete coming down the pipeline. i think it would be unwise to say that there will never be another huge star in women's tennis. i remember thinking the same with Michelle Kwan and Kim Yu-Na seems have done well and made a name for herself in figure skating.
tonybotz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #35
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybotz View Post
i too wonder who the next BIG thing will be. there doesn't seem to be ANY great athlete coming down the pipeline. i think it would be unwise to say that there will never be another huge star in women's tennis. i remember thinking the same with Michelle Kwan and Kim Yu-Na seems have done well and made a name for herself in figure skating.
I always thought that the figure-skating was a Russian thing.

Was shocked to find that Japan and Korea are dominating now..

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 02:25 AM   #36
country flag Slutiana

Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joana View Post
I know exactly what Steffica Greles is talking about. When I first saw Sharapova, at Wimbledon '03, I immediately saw someone who was going to win Slams in the future. And only a year later, watching her match against Hantuchova it crossed my mind that she could actually win the title that year. And she was only 17.
And that was 6 years ago and nobody similar has shown up. Mayyybe Ivanovic and Vaidisova, at a lesser rate, but Ana has apparently made a Faustian pact to get to her Slam and Nicole, well, yeah.
I'm too starting to think there will never be another tennis supernova again.
I think we have to remember that these players are a rarity. Sure, around 1995-2004 we have been lucky enough to have a whole host of these young stars or "supernovas" as you call them but on the whole, they have come around once in a blue moon. And so they others may come aound again. 6 years isn't that long.

However, in my opinion I think the game is becoming much more physical (you only have to look at last year's YEC to see that) and I see the Womens' game gravitating further and further towards to ATP where a 16 year old winning just one senior match on tour is considered amazing compared to just 6 years ago when 16 and 15 year olds Sharapova, Vaidisova, Ivanovic and Golovin were running rampant on the tour. And maybe the process of slowly building up a ranking and slowly and surely playing more tournaments and improving is better compared to becoming an overnight celeb and as a teens throwing themselves into the tour full-time. Because although it may be exciting and great for the tour at the beginning, most of these girls have had practically no longevity.
Slutiana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 02:27 AM   #37
country flag Slutiana

Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~RIP.WTA~ View Post
I think we have to remember that these players are a rarity. Sure, around 1995-2004 we have been lucky enough to have a whole host of these young stars or "supernovas" as you call them but on the whole, they have come around once in a blue moon. And so they others may come aound again. 6 years isn't that long.

However, in my opinion I think the game is becoming much more physical (you only have to look at last year's YEC to see that) and I see the Womens' game gravitating further and further towards to ATP where a 16 year old winning just one senior match on tour is considered amazing compared to just 6 years ago when 16 and 15 year olds Sharapova, Vaidisova, Ivanovic and Golovin were running rampant on the tour. And maybe the process of slowly building up a ranking and slowly and surely playing more tournaments and improving is better compared to becoming an overnight celeb and then the teens throwing themselves into the tour full-time. Because although it may be exciting and great for the tour at the beginning, most of these girls have had practically no longevity.
Damn, that post is such a jumbled up, rambling mess. But i'm not even going to attempt to clean it up, it's 3:30 and my bed is screaming my name.
Slutiana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 02:41 AM   #38
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis was, for a very long time, THE outlet for female athlete to have a career. This is going back into the pre-Open era. You want to see where the super female athletes are? I'm watching NCAA women's basketball semi-finals. And there are a LOT of athletes out there. Would they all have been good tennis players? Of course not. But they're big, strong, have good hand-eye coordination and can run. Had they trained as tennis players instead of basketball players, who knows?

But you can go through public school, and become an elite women's basketball player. You have to pay, and pay big, to train a girl to be an elite tennis player. Unless Nike sees a money-making opportunity in you. In any case, the ROI on basketball is a lot better than tennis. A elite female athlete might be better off becoming a snowboarder than a tennis player.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #39
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~RIP.WTA~ View Post

However, in my opinion I think the game is becoming much more physical (you only have to look at last year's YEC to see that) and I see the Womens' game gravitating further and further towards to ATP where a 16 year old winning just one senior match on tour is considered amazing compared to just 6 years ago when 16 and 15 year olds Sharapova, Vaidisova, Ivanovic and Golovin were running rampant on the tour. And maybe the process of slowly building up a ranking and slowly and surely playing more tournaments and improving is better compared to becoming an overnight celeb and as a teens throwing themselves into the tour full-time. Because although it may be exciting and great for the tour at the beginning, most of these girls have had practically no longevity.
Very well thought out post. Although the WTA isn't to the point where a 16 year old winning one match is surprising. But the next 17 year old slam winner is going to have to be something very special. Venus Williams was 20 when she won her first slam. Justine Henin was 21. Kim Clijsters was 22.

We've seen the early flash of potential greatness from Ivanovic, Jankovic, Safina, Wozniacki, Azarenka ... they've all shown what Clijsters and Henin showed at their age, or better. We just gotta wait out another three or four years, and see what's what.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #40
country flag tennisforadults

tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
Possibly never.

I suggest a dose of patience for pessimists.

Your doomsday scenario of women's tennis is like saying the end of the world is in 2010 - not going to happen.

Give a few more years, when the domination of the Williams sisters passes, someone like Sharapova (who's capable of at least 3 GS titles) will emerge again.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #41
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisforadults View Post
Look, it really depends on what you define as having 'slam winning potential'.

If Safina has reached 3 slam finals, I call that slam winning potential. She's basically one match away from winning a slam 3 times.

Wozniacki and Jankovic both reached a grand slam final each. I would call them both as having slam winning potential.

Your judgement of whether these girls have slam-winning potentials is clearly clouded by your disdain/contempt of their abilities.
Very much agree, but isn't this why 9/10 of TF threads are created in the first place? An attempt to discredit a player(s) the OP doesn't like. So if you don't like Vika, Caro, Aga and for the bit younger Oudin, Robson, well you'll want to talk about how great Masha was - and she was. You'll want to make comments like 'Have you ever seen matches from the 90's' - as was the rebuttal in a similar thread.

I was a vivid tennis fan from Chris Evert/Martina N all through Steffi and Martina H. When the Williams sisters came onto the scene, I sort of lost interest and haven't watched much WTA since really from early 2009 again. When Caro started to make an impact. Thats just me and I enjoy following my favourite players, even they are highly unlikely to break Margarethe Courts record of singles Slams.
TennisFan66 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #42
country flag A Magicman

A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute

The next on coming thru is a player named Wickmayer of Belgium (what did I say???).

Her rise was quite (too) fast, she needs to settle now and start beating Top 10 players and once she has begun that, she will have Slams follow. I think she will win her first slam in 2011 and cause a lot of havoc from that point on.

and a reminiscence to the past:
HELEN KELESI FOREVER
Hater of Ratwanska & Wozniacki
A Magicman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #43
country flag Passierschlag

Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light

Robson is a definite future Grand Slam-winner. Mladenovic is another one and I would mention Sloane Stephens as well. But Robson stands out as the saviour of the WTA.
Passierschlag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #44
country flag gentenaire

gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
Very well thought out post. Although the WTA isn't to the point where a 16 year old winning one match is surprising. But the next 17 year old slam winner is going to have to be something very special. Venus Williams was 20 when she won her first slam. Justine Henin was 21. Kim Clijsters was 22.

We've seen the early flash of potential greatness from Ivanovic, Jankovic, Safina, Wozniacki, Azarenka ... they've all shown what Clijsters and Henin showed at their age, or better. We just gotta wait out another three or four years, and see what's what.
I disagree with you. I don't see what Wozniacki, Azarenka and co have shown that is equal or better than Clijsters or Henin at their age.

age of first GS final:

Kim: 18 (or was she still 17? It was almost to day her 18th birthday)
Justine: 19
Wozniacki: 19
Azarenka: /
Safina: 22
Ivanovic: 19
Jankovic: 23

best results when 19 (including years before):

Kim: won tour championships defeating top players in the process, reached 3 GS finals, won 2 tier I tournaments
Justine: GS final at Wimbledon (defeating Capriati), GS semi-final at RG, won tier I tournament
Wozniacki: GS final, won tier II tournament
Azarenka: won Tier I, defeating Serena Williams
Safina: won tier II
Ivanovic: GS final, GS semi, won two tier I tournaments
Jankovic: won tier V tournament

so honestly, I don't see where these youngsters beat Kim or Justine. Sharapova or Hingis, yes, they showed far better results, hands down, but not these youngsters. Only Ivanovic has results that are similar to what Justine had at that age. Azarenka defeated Serena Williams so she showed a flash there. Wozniacki has yet to defeat a top player.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #45
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

the sad/scary thing for me is i think right now serena, henin and venus are not the players they once were, but are still head and shoulders above the new crop. serena is not as fast and she throws in more bad service games than ever, henin it remains to be seen if she will hit the same tennis heights of 2007, but right now her game isn't near it (though it is still too good for caro) and we all know venus has declined over the years, a step slower, mentally she can tail off in long matches and her stamina isn't what it was.

i would add kim but she seems to have moved her game along slightly, in she is more proactive, and seems stronger phsyically than ever, but at still only 26, she is the one of the four whos game shouldn't be in decline yet.

it always used to be the moment the top players/slam winners showed any sign of decline up stepped the next generation to take full advantage, from graf and seles dominating the slams pushing nav and evert down, to hingis, davenport, WS pushing seles and graf down, to then the 2 belgians forcing the issue with the WS. since that point and we are talking 2001 (9 years ago), only sharapova has broken through who you thought could consistently handle those 4 or at least compete with them. yes we have had myskina ect winning a slam since that time and jj, safina being #1, but when those 4 are fit and healthy 9 times out of 10 they pick off the slam.

caro or vika just aren't good enough to challenge this and im not even going to justify why aga wont.

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01

Last edited by sammy01 : Apr 5th, 2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: edit
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote