When will the next Star emerge in women's tennis? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Steffica Greles

Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute
When will the next Star emerge in women's tennis?

By the term 'star', I simply mean someone with a game which is clearly of slam-winning potential, some level above the ordinary. The last to emerge was Sharapova, WAY back in 2004. If we're to include Ivanovic, which I think might be fair, let's say 2005. Now, that's incredible. Women's tennis desperately needs someone decent to emerge.

Three of the four semi-finalists in Miami were in the latter third of their 20s. Women's tennis really is in a terrible state with no new players pushing up.

That noisy one from Belarus isn't anything special, despite some hope last year. Safin's sister was ordinary from the beginning, as was the one from Serbia with the bronzer.

From what I've read, there are no promising youngsters coming from the juniors either.

Last edited by Steffica Greles : Apr 3rd, 2010 at 10:26 PM.
Steffica Greles is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 10:26 PM   #2
country flag Rafito.
Salvatore.

Rafito. has a reputation beyond repute Rafito. has a reputation beyond repute Rafito. has a reputation beyond repute Rafito. has a reputation beyond repute Rafito. has a reputation beyond repute Rafito. has a reputation beyond repute Rafito. has a reputation beyond repute Rafito. has a reputation beyond repute Rafito. has a reputation beyond repute Rafito. has a reputation beyond repute Rafito. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When will the next Star emerge in women's tennis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffica Greles View Post
That noisy one from Belarus isn't anything special, despite some hope last year. Safin's sister was ordinary from the beginning, as was the one from Serbia with the bronzer.
They do have names.
Rafito. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:11 PM   #3
country flag tennisforadults

tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffica Greles View Post
By the term 'star', I simply mean someone with a game which is clearly of slam-winning potential, some level above the ordinary. The last to emerge was Sharapova, WAY back in 2004. If we're to include Ivanovic, which I think might be fair, let's say 2005. Now, that's incredible. Women's tennis desperately needs someone decent to emerge.
I think you meant someone who can win a Grand Slam, not just having slam-winning potential. Azarenka, Jankovic and Safina all have slam-winning potential, but neither has won one. Safina has been the closest, reaching 3 grand slam finals, so calling her 'ordinary' is really way too harsh.

I still think Safina has a shot, if she's to come back from her injury playing well.

And I think you've forgotten about Wozniacki and Radwanska. You may not like their games, but both of them are young and in the top 10. When one of these young top 10 players wins their 1st GS, your wish will be fulfilled.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:19 PM   #4
country flag hotviolin83

hotviolin83 is a name known to all hotviolin83 is a name known to all hotviolin83 is a name known to all hotviolin83 is a name known to all hotviolin83 is a name known to all hotviolin83 is a name known to all hotviolin83 is a name known to all hotviolin83 is a name known to all hotviolin83 is a name known to all hotviolin83 is a name known to all hotviolin83 is a name known to all

It's difficult to predict when we will have the next Sharapova or even Ivanovic. these players differentiate themselves to the Radwankas or Wozniackis in that they were stars with charisma and attracted lots of attention.
I have to wonder if someone from Asia like China or Japan will emerge. I know they're investing a lot of money there and they have had numerous quality players like Sugiyama, Na Li, etc...but they didn't have a dominant figure and that seems odd
hotviolin83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:19 PM   #5
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean another Sharapova, who looks at 17 like she might become a true top 4 player, we all want to see that.

There are good young players out there, but Maria looked like she might win 5 or more majors.

We dont have a teen like that now. You have to be patient
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:27 PM   #6
country flag Melange

Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotviolin83 View Post
It's difficult to predict when we will have the next Sharapova or even Ivanovic. these players differentiate themselves to the Radwankas or Wozniackis in that they were stars with charisma and attracted lots of attention.
I have to wonder if someone from Asia like China or Japan will emerge. I know they're investing a lot of money there and they have had numerous quality players like Sugiyama, Na Li, etc...but they didn't have a dominant figure and that seems odd
Wozniacki has plenty of charisma, she just doesnt have that over-inflated ego and self importance that causes the drama and gives the media the quotes they like. I dont think anyone from Asia will emerge soon. They need a big athlete, not the small, fast counterpunchers they have been producing.
Melange is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #7
country flag cogent53

cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of

I agree with the main point made by the original poster, where is the young hungry fearless 18/19 year old that is going to shake up the old guard like Graf did, Seles did, the Williams sisters did, Hingis, Capriati, even back to Tracy Austin and Andrea Jaegar. We haven;t had anyone since Sharapova and IMO none of the current crop look likely.

Azarenka, Wickmayer, Lisicki all have power but are too inconsistent. Radwanska and Wozniacki have a steadier game but is their game big enough? Oudin looked promising at the USO but hasn't followed it up fully. Will Sharapova or Ivanovic ever reach the heights they did as they are still young. With the Williams, Henin, Clisters, Dementeiva all closer to 30 than 20, the WTA needs some young stars to take their chances.

Elena Dementieva Angelique Kerber Kim Clijsters Sabine Lisicki
Maria Sharapova
Sam Stosur Andrea Petkovic Svetlana Kuznetsova Yaroslava Shvedova

cogent53 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #8
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Robson has more charisma than half the top 100 combined.
She's a pretty girl and can speak English + her interviews are amaze.

Her game is entertaining as well. She plays to win, not to avoid losing.

The WTA must be dreaming she gets some strong results, soon.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #9
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot to add the pretty girl in my avatar

But yeah, who will become the next Sharapova?

my tennis blog
my personal blog my youtube acct
my flickr acct my imgur acct picasa album acct

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #10
country flag cogent53

cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of

I agree with the main point made by the original poster, where is the young hungry fearless 18/19 year old that is going to shake up the old guard like Graf did, Seles did, the Williams sisters did, Hingis, Capriati, even back to Tracy Austin and Andrea Jaegar. We haven;t had anyone since Sharapova and IMO none of the current crop look likely.

Azarenka, Wickmayer, Lisicki all have power but are too inconsistent. Radwanska and Wozniacki have a steadier game but is their game big enough? Oudin looked promising at the USO but hasn't followed it up fully. Will Sharapova or Ivanovic ever reach the heights they did as they are still young. With the Williams, Henin, Clisters, Dementeiva all closer to 30 than 20, the WTA needs some young stars to take their chances.

Elena Dementieva Angelique Kerber Kim Clijsters Sabine Lisicki
Maria Sharapova
Sam Stosur Andrea Petkovic Svetlana Kuznetsova Yaroslava Shvedova

cogent53 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #11
country flag cellophane

cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute

I love Robson, but I doubt she has slam-winning potential.

"I wish I were as aggressive and serious as those floors too!!" - GOAT Cynthia Zimmerman
cellophane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #12
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I think we also had a bad time with injuires.
In 2008 Maria won the AO and Dinara won Berlin and made the AO final losing to Ana.
It looked like young stars were rising up.
Maybe this is a part of the current era, where players need time to heal their bodies and get refreshed.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #13
Steffica Greles

Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute

It's hilarious!!

When people are touting 24 year-old Safina or 28 year-old Na Li, there we have it! NOBODY IS COMING THROUGH.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #14
Steffica Greles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisforadults View Post
I think you meant someone who can win a Grand Slam, not just having slam-winning potential. Azarenka, Jankovic and Safina all have slam-winning potential, but neither has won one. Safina has been the closest, reaching 3 grand slam finals, so calling her 'ordinary' is really way too harsh.

I still think Safina has a shot, if she's to come back from her injury playing well.

And I think you've forgotten about Wozniacki and Radwanska. You may not like their games, but both of them are young and in the top 10. When one of these young top 10 players wins their 1st GS, your wish will be fulfilled.
I wrote clearly with slam-winning potential. I don't think ANY of those players above have clear slam winning potential, especially those two Polish girls...isn't one from Denmark?

The day any of those have clear slam winning potential is the day we all jointly concede women's tennis is a bit of a jest.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #15
country flag Daniel K

Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Robson is hilarious!
She'll be a star. She's already halfway there in Britain.
Daniel K is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote