Aussies in WTA events - Page 77 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 20th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #1141
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aussies in WTA events

All of the stats have been like that in Dubai (or at least, also Woz-Safarova and Errani-Goerges); I think it's something to do with the bookkeeping that's leading to these low winner-high UE rates.
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 20th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #1142
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, the stats have been suspect in general. There's been a whole thread devoted to the "fact" that Sara Errani hit zero winners in 2 sets in her match against Goerges. Apart from the point that there's more to playing well than hitting winners, you'd have to wonder whether those stats are right s well.

The betting angle didn't occur to me, but now that you mention it, it sounds pretty plausible. Much easier to slip the guy who records these stats a few bucks than to bribe a player to throw a match, and betters are just as happy to win by betting on UEs and winners as by predicting match outcomes.

Edit: I misread your post, thought you wrote bookmaking, not bookkeeping

Still, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if betting syndicates are behind it.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #1143

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
The betting angle didn't occur to me, but now that you mention it, it sounds pretty plausible. Much easier to slip the guy who records these stats a few bucks than to bribe a player to throw a match, and betters are just as happy to win by betting on UEs and winners as by predicting match outcomes.

Edit: I misread your post, thought you wrote bookmaking, not bookkeeping

Still, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if betting syndicates are behind it.
Don't worry, I have a bad habit of being vague and assuming that people can read my mind when I write

I think the "bookmaking" scenario would be more likely if it was only one match where the stats seemed skewed, or if there were some normal looking matches followed by weird-psycho stats.

Given that it seems to be affecting every match, I think there's something systematic about the way the stats are being recorded. There was a good post by bobito in GM awhile ago about all of the ambiguities in deciding what counts as an UE and what counts as a winner. For some reason, the organisers in Dubai seem to have decided to cast the matches in the worst possible light

Old Feb 20th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #1144

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

^You're probably right. I don't usually go in for these conspiracy scenarios, but when it comes to betting I wouldn't rule anything out. But now that I think of it, most bookies would probably refuse to take bets on match stats like these, precisely because they would be so easy to manipulate.

Do you maybe have a link to Bobito's post?
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #1145

This is the original post from bobito: http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....&postcount=116

And then this thread was sort of a response to it, I think: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...ors+statistics

The discussion seems to be more about distinguishing between errors/forced errors though, which wouldn't explain the low winner counts. I was wondering if they were putting winners from the net into the net points won category, and not into the winners category as well. Not sure what else could be contributing to it ...

Old Feb 20th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #1146

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
This is the original post from bobito: http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....&postcount=116

And then this thread was sort of a response to it, I think: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...ors+statistics

The discussion seems to be more about distinguishing between errors/forced errors though, which wouldn't explain the low winner counts. I was wondering if they were putting winners from the net into the net points won category, and not into the winners category as well. Not sure what else could be contributing to it ...
Thanks!

On the face of it, it would be harder to make a mistake on a winner than on an (un)forced error, but that doesn't mean that winner stats aren't misleading as well. In principle I believe that any shot that goes over the net, lands in, and is not touched by the opponent's racquet would be counted as a winner. So that would include aces, winners at the net, etc., but also complete mishits that fly over the opponent's head and land in the back corner of the court.

And forced errors, which are only different from winners in that the player got a racquet on the ball, are recorded but almost never put into the final stats table, which skews things badly when players force a lot of errors out of their opponent like Sam did yesterday (she probably forces more errors than winners in most matches she plays, because of her heavy spin that most players find hard to control).

I also think that it frequently happens that the person keeping track of these things is not 100% on the ball and just fudges the stats to some extent.

This is why Federer often gets pissed when journo's start talking about match stats in post match interviews. The stats rarely give a good picture of what happened in a match.
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #1147
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future

Those stats seem right to me actually given the match. Maybe a bit harsh on the errors, yes but I prefer that instead of having it too easy on them

Alicia Molik|Sam Stosur|Nicole Pratt|Casey Dellacqua|Sophie Fergsuon|Monqiue Adamczak|Jess Moore|And the rest of the aussies

Also support: Ana Ivanovic| Maria Kirilenko| Misa Krajicek| Marion Bartoli| Jarmila Gajdosova| Lucie Safarova
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 11:19 AM   #1148
country flag AYUMI-GOAT

AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute
Dellacqua v KaPliskova
Rogowska v Q
Barty v Q

Q: Adamczak v Buryachok

Sent from my GT-I9070 using VerticalSports.Com App

Imagine Dragons. Of Monsters and Men. Samantha Jade. Bastille <3
AYUMI-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1149
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute

^Arina is in qualies too.

Good luck girls!
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #1150
country flag AYUMI-GOAT

AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Doubles Draw
(1)Husarova/Zhang v Chan Chin-Wei/Lertcheewakarn
Domachowska/Rosolska v Hsieh Shu-Ying/Kao
(4)Fujiwara/Zheng v (wc)Chua/Yang
Kumkhum/Sema v Kichenok/Kichenok

Pliskova/Pliskova v Beygelzimer/Rogowska
(wc)Nabila/Selvarajoo v (3)Buryachok/Chan Hao-Ching
Adamczak/Wongteanchai v Amanmuradova/Rodionova
Brianti/Klepac v (2)Aoyama/Chang

-
no Barty/Dellacqua

Old Feb 24th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #1151
country flag AYUMI-GOAT

Arina Rodionova defeated Hao-Ching Chan 62 60

Old Feb 24th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #1152
country flag Daniel.

Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of
Why would Dellacqua/Barty not play here!?!? To continue their form & clean up this title. It will be rare that they're at the same tournaments thru out the year. Ridiculous.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 04:00 AM   #1153
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute

Kuala Lumpur Q1:

[4]Adamczak def. Buryachok (UKR) 7-6 2-6 6-4

Was a tough one - she had a big comeback to win the 1st set. Also served for the match at 5-3 in the 3rd but ended up breaking serve to win.

Now has to back it up and play Luangnam who fortunately also had quite a long match.

Arina is on court against Kumkhum and down in the 1st.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #1154
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future

Think Monique was lucky to scrape though, she won fewer points and won when IB served a double fault! Still a wins a win! Next match will be tougher.
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #1155
country flag ozfan44

ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully she can back up well, raining at the moment so a longer break for her!
|
And all the other aussie girls
ozfan44 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote