Venus Vs. debuts Tonight! 7/2/2013 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 02:47 PM   #1
country flag jean_genie

jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute
Venus Vs. debuts Tonight! 7/2/2013

Don't forget to watch Ana Duvernay's film for ESPNW in the Title IX series, Venus Vs. Tonight on ESPN at 8pm ET

http://espn.go.com/espnw/w-in-action...ector-venus-vs
Advertisement

Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 04:07 PM   #2
country flag V-MAC
blurring the lines between the real and the fake

V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Venus Vs. debuts Tonight! 7/2/2013

hopefully it will be uploaded to YouTube
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 06:51 PM   #3
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait to see it.

Eleven, Jamba Juice, Miami Dolphins, V*Starr Interiors ,World Team Tennis
Veelieve! Venus will rise again 2014!
Taylor Townsend / Madison Keys
NY KNICKS / TEAM MELO
winone23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 07:10 PM   #4
country flag jean_genie

jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-MAC View Post
hopefully it will be uploaded to YouTube
Or maybe it will be streamed on the ESPN site? I'm sure they want their numbers to be good so you would think they'd make it as widely available as possible. Fingers crossed, eh?
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 08:26 PM   #5
country flag DeucesAreWild

DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future

Thanks for the reminder.
DeucesAreWild is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 02:22 AM   #6
country flag jean_genie

Did you guys see? I thought it was fabulous. I loved how focused it was but it also flowed. It gave Venus' backstory as it related to the narrative of the outsider seeking equal terms. Very well done.

I read a review in Variety today where the writer TOTALLY missed the point IMO, because he complained about all the stuff it lacked (info about the family, Serena and the recent flap, etc.) and dismissed their experiences when they arrived on the tour as "occasional condescension from tennis snobs in having a young African-American woman invade a country-club game." I was like, what? That's not what this is about. I know that for some people, the sisters lives are intertwined but I was really glad to see Ms. Duvernay stick to Venus and her accomplishment.

Read the Variety article and see what you think:

http://variety.com/2013/tv/reviews/v...pn-1200502547/

Plus, I'd almost forgotten how UPSET Vee was at that penalty point for her beads flying off.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 02:30 AM   #7
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute

Jean, I watched it and enjoyed every minute of it. I started watching tennis after the beads incident so it was interesting to see Venus' reaction, I felt bad for her. Venus looked really nice during the interview.

NY KNICKS / TEAM MELO
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 05:08 AM   #8
country flag Foxy

Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute

It was a very good documentary about Venus and her POWER in the tennis world, and her being a shaker and mover. I don't know why that person was upset about it not focusing on her family and Serena. The story wasn't about them, it was about the POWER Venus Williams has behind closed doors and about Venus as a LEADER. The story about Venus, her family, and Serena has already been done and seen on tv and written about over and over again and we all know about it.

This story was about the power that Venus Williams has behind closed doors. Venus will end up running the WTA one day.
Foxy is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 05:31 AM   #9
country flag DeucesAreWild

DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future

I watched and and was very surprised at just how much influence Venus wielded and still does. IMHO, her quite power is something to aspire to. She's passionate, but calm, thoughtful, and personal at the same time. I especially liked the story of her meeting with the Wimbledon Committee the day before her 05' Final.
DeucesAreWild is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 06:55 AM   #10
country flag V-MAC
blurring the lines between the real and the fake

V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
It was a very good documentary about Venus and her POWER in the tennis world, and her being a shaker and mover. I don't know why that person was upset about it not focusing on her family and Serena. The story wasn't about them, it was about the POWER Venus Williams has behind closed doors and about Venus as a LEADER. The story about Venus, her family, and Serena has already been done and seen on tv and written about over and over again and we all know about it.

This story was about the power that Venus Williams has behind closed doors. Venus will end up running the WTA one day.
Wouldn't they be lucky to have such an articulate and influential champion at the helm?!

I loved it. I thought it was really insightful (unlike the film that came out recently which didn't offer very much IMO).
She is such an inspiration
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 08:46 AM   #11
country flag VenuStan

VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all

Looking forward to seeing this one. The documentary didn't have much on Venus that we didn't already know about.
VenuStan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 01:48 PM   #12
country flag winone23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeucesAreWild View Post
I watched and and was very surprised at just how much influence Venus wielded and still does. IMHO, her quite power is something to aspire to. She's passionate, but calm, thoughtful, and personal at the same time. I especially liked the story of her meeting with the Wimbledon Committee the day before her 05' Final.
I liked the Wimbledon final story too, Venus could have simply blew off her commitment to show up for the meeting to focus on her final.

NY KNICKS / TEAM MELO
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 02:32 PM   #13
country flag MajesticVenus
La Reina V.

MajesticVenus has a reputation beyond repute MajesticVenus has a reputation beyond repute MajesticVenus has a reputation beyond repute MajesticVenus has a reputation beyond repute MajesticVenus has a reputation beyond repute MajesticVenus has a reputation beyond repute MajesticVenus has a reputation beyond repute MajesticVenus has a reputation beyond repute MajesticVenus has a reputation beyond repute MajesticVenus has a reputation beyond repute MajesticVenus has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reminder jean! I watched it online thanks to the user that uploaded it but ESPN took it down just now! I am missing the 6 final minutes of the documentary. I wish I could watch the end...

I loved Venus' little smile when some ignorants claimed that women shouldn't earn equal prize money and then proceeded with dismantling them saying something along these lines: "Well, there are close minded... men that have been here over 20 or 30 years." So proud of Vee for fighting and showing commitment, especially after going to the meeting before the final.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 03:23 PM   #14
country flag jean_genie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticVenus View Post
Thanks for the reminder jean! I watched it online thanks to the user that uploaded it but ESPN took it down just now! I am missing the 6 final minutes of the documentary. I wish I could watch the end...

I loved Venus' little smile when some ignorants claimed that women shouldn't earn equal prize money and then proceeded with dismantling them saying something along these lines: "Well, there are close minded... men that have been here over 20 or 30 years." So proud of Vee for fighting and showing commitment, especially after going to the meeting before the final.

You're welcome!

I hope that ESPN will put up a link to it on their website if they don't want it on YouTube. Surely they must have planned for viewers outside the US being interested in seeing it. I loved that John McEnroe had the courage to say that he used to oppose equal pay but now that he's got four daughters, his perspective has changed. And the cute Marketing Director for the WTA saying the "only play 2 out of 3 sets" argument doesn't fly since the women are willing to play best of 5. Venus talks about the establishment being comfortable with what they've done for 20, 30, 40 years and she's right.

Here's an article from this morning's Chicago Tribune where the director is interviewed:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-rt...3.story?page=1
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 05:02 PM   #15
country flag Thiudans

Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a torrent available for this/is it online anywhere?
Thiudans is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote