Learn Hungarian Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 31st, 2010, 02:19 AM   #1
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute
Learn Hungarian Thread

I don't know about other non-Hungarian fans of Agi, but I really want to learn some more Hungarian
All I know is Hajra! and magyar
Can someone (Hakapeszi, Gregorio, Ofen, mralas, ...) tell me simple phrases to start off?

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 31st, 2010, 03:58 AM   #2
country flag Hakapeszi

Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future
Re: Learn Hungarian Thread

maybe a good start is here

http://www.hungarianreference.com/Li...hungarian.aspx

and all pages on this site can be useful, I think

It's written by an Englishman, as he says "The reason for writing is that I could not find a perfect book or, moreover, website that will teach me Hungarian from the perspective of an Englishman."

Unfortunately I found mistyped things and a mistake, but good work generally.

"Fine words." Tyrion was unimpressed. "Words are wind. Who is this bloody savior?"
"A dragon." The cheesemonger saw the look on his face at that, and laughed. "A dragon with three heads."
Hakapeszi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 08:38 AM   #3
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakapeszi View Post

Unfortunately I found mistyped things and a mistake, but good work generally.

Which mistake? I don't want to learn something wrong...
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 09:33 AM   #4
country flag Ofen

Ofen is just really nice Ofen is just really nice Ofen is just really nice Ofen is just really nice Ofen is just really nice Ofen is just really nice Ofen is just really nice Ofen is just really nice Ofen is just really nice Ofen is just really nice Ofen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
I don't know what was found by Hakapeszi, but checked the page rapidly. I would never use "Honnan való vagy where are you from? honnan vah-low vodge?", I would use Honnan jöttél? or Hová valósi vagy?(second one is more informal) instead of it. And one typo (accent is missing) for nameday: "boldog névnapot kívánok" should be used instead of "boldog nevnapot kívánok"
Ofen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 10:21 AM   #5
country flag Hakapeszi

Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofen View Post
I don't know what was found by Hakapeszi, but checked the page rapidly. I would never use "Honnan való vagy where are you from? honnan vah-low vodge?", I would use Honnan jöttél? or Hová valósi vagy?(second one is more informal) instead of it.
Yes, your versions are more common nowadays, but 'Honnan való vagy' and 'Hová való vagy' versions are used also.

"Fine words." Tyrion was unimpressed. "Words are wind. Who is this bloody savior?"
"A dragon." The cheesemonger saw the look on his face at that, and laughed. "A dragon with three heads."
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 10:37 AM   #6
country flag mralas

mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold

I suggest: We are Hungarians try to put our posts is two languages...

JAvaslom: Mi magyarok próbáljunk két nyelven posztolni...
mralas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 11:32 AM   #7
country flag Hakapeszi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
It's on the telling the time page.

http://www.hungarianreference.com/telling-the-time.aspx

in this example

"17:30 fél tizennyolc - half into the eighteenth hour"

correct

"17:30 fél hat - half into the sixth hour"

reason

We use 24 and 12 hour clock both. But when we say time using negyed/fél/háromnegyed (quarter/half/three quarters) we use 12 hour clock only.

Old Mar 31st, 2010, 11:34 AM   #8
country flag Gregorio87

Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of

I think a perfect place to learn new Hungarian words will be Ági's renewed official website. It has now an English version too. So if someone switch between the 2 languages, can learn new words phrases etc.
But now I will use the idea of mralas, maybe it will work.

Szerintem új szavak tanulására tökéletes hely Ági felújított honlapja. Már van angol verziója is. Így, ha valaki a két nyelv között kapcsolgat, megtanulhat új szavakat, kifejezéseket stb.
De most mralas ötletét is felhasználom, talán beválik.
Gregorio87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 11:41 AM   #9
country flag Gregorio87

Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of

This is also funny: "negyed négy lesz 10 perc múlva".
Ok, that we look forward in time, but it's too regular now. We just say: 3 óra 5 perc. (Or here can be used like in English that past 5 minutes... it's getting difficult, so I just stop it...)

Ez is vicces: "negyed négy lesz 10 perc múlva".
Ok, hogy előretekintünk az időben, de ez már túl szabályszerű. Csak ennyit mondunk: 3 óra 5 perc.
Gregorio87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 01:06 PM   #10
country flag mralas

mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold mralas is a splendid one to behold

A good advice: Don't use google translator for learn!

Egy jótanács: tanuláshoz ne használd a Google fordítót!
mralas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 06:17 PM   #11
country flag Hakapeszi

Listen some Hungarian here

Set around 24 minutes and enjoy

It was today morning...

Old Apr 1st, 2010, 12:16 AM   #12
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!
Hungarian is A LOT harder than I thought
This could take a while...

Old Apr 1st, 2010, 12:17 AM   #13
country flag hellas719

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralas View Post

That is one way to learn

Old Apr 1st, 2010, 06:44 AM   #14
country flag Hakapeszi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas719 View Post
Wow!
Hungarian is A LOT harder than I thought
This could take a while...

"Which is the most difficult language?

There is no single answer to this question; it depends on so many factors. However, the British Foreign Office has looked at the languages that diplomats and other embassy staff have to learn and has worked out which they find the most difficult to learn. The second hardest is Japanese, which probably comes as no surprise to many, but the language that they have found to be the most difficult to learn is Hungarian, which has 35 cases (forms of a nouns according to whether it is subject, object, genitive, etc). This does not mean that Hungarian is the hardest language to learn for everybody, but it causes British diplomatic staff, who are used to learning languages, the most difficulty. However, Tabassaran, a Caucasian language has 48 cases, so it would probably cause more difficulty if British diplomats had to learn it.

Different cultures and individuals from those cultures will find different languages more difficult. In the case of Hungarian for British learners, it is not a question of the writing system, which is alphabetic, but the grammatical complexity, though native speakers of related languages may find it easier, while struggling with languages that we find relatively easy. No language is easy to learn well, though languages which are related to our first language will be easier. Learning a completely different writing system is a huge challenge, but that does not necessarily make a language more difficult that another. In the end, it is impossible to say that there is one language that is the most difficult language in the world."

Old Apr 1st, 2010, 12:31 PM   #15
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This is such a useful idea! I love it. Thanks for trying it Gregorio!

You guys wouldn't have to do it everytime, but just sometimes when you feel like it. Maybe only when you are typing a short message, that's fine. Being exposed to how native speakers actually write would be great.

Should I help you make the english more natural? Hope you don't mind. In english we would say something like

"I suggest: those of us who are Hungarian could try to put our posts in two languages."

Quote:
A good advice: Don't use google translator for learn!

Egy jótanács: tanuláshoz ne használd a Google fordítót!
Lol, I'm so lazy I tend to use online translators, but I know I should read real native writing. In English this would normally be something like

"A good piece of advice: Don't use google translator to learn!"

We use the phrases "Some good advice", also "a good piece of advice" and "my advice", but never "a good advice".

I can already see how useful it would be- I love learning languages. Hakapeszi, I am trying to learn Japanese and Chinese in my spare time too so I have an appreciation of their difficulty too (lots of anime watching ). I don't think I'll mind cases too much, I learnt Latin at school before.

Language sharing for the win!

Last edited by HowardH : Apr 1st, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote