The Sea of Reminiscence ~ Venusí Video Vault - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 4th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #151
country flag dynamoRockstarr
Venus Fan

dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Sea of Reminiscence ~ Venusí Video Vault

i think it's the type she needs to be playing, unless she is truly going to incorporate different strategies to her game for clay. What struck me was her movement and her focus in that clip. her feet were steadily moving and i like that, especially on clay. Vee has a game that when executed as it should, she can win on any surface.
But that also means playing smarter tennis, and probably making constant adjustments, like moving her serve around, mixing paces of shots (imo not in Vee's case but for other players that's what they seems to do on the clay) and hitting behind the opponent that's on the run, which works a majority of the time on la terre battue.

Planet Venus

[SouthSide, Duval, Keys, Stephens]
dynamoRockstarr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #152
country flag Midnight_Robber

Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg100 View Post
i think it's the type she needs to be playing, unless she is truly going to incorporate different strategies to her game for clay. What struck me was her movement and her focus in that clip. her feet were steadily moving and i like that, especially on clay. Vee has a game that when executed as it should, she can win on any surface.
But that also means playing smarter tennis, and probably making constant adjustments, like moving her serve around, mixing paces of shots (imo not in Vee's case but for other players that's what they seems to do on the clay) and hitting behind the opponent that's on the run, which works a majority of the time on la terre battue.
Good analysis. (I'd good rep you if I could!) Like you, I think it's more about her playing her brand of tennis well, maintaining her focus & intensity than trying to play a radically different game or mimic a clay courter (in the end I'd rather she stick with a game that might win Wimbledon than alter it simply to try and win RG - just ask Becker, Lendl et. al about how well fundamentally re-tooling your game for your weakest surface works... )

Also agree that the types of adjustments she should be making (more variety on serve, changing pace of shot) aren't deep or fundamental changes. They're quite doable and are the kinds of tactics that she should be using more often anyway.
Midnight_Robber is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #153
VishaalMaria

VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Robber View Post
That would be nice Kishan, but unless she really *lost* some footspeed or power, and had no option BUT to compensate and start playing strategicially what is the likelihood of this happening, considering how stubborn she is? (That's why I keep thinking that her best chance of winning RG is when she's say, 33!) In the meantime, the only place where you'll see her hit slice and drop-shots on a *relatively* regular basis is Wimbledon.

Until then, I'd rather she play her "natural" power game WELL, take her chances and see how far she gets. And to me, any win on clay that isn't a red-hot, steaming pile of poo - - is 'good' clay-court tennis from Venus.
I still believe, despite her footspeed and power she can hit some drop shots (that dont even have to be that good) to win the point. Over the years I've seen Venus' opponents waaay behind the baseline hitting Venus' shots, and all Venus does is hit the ball back to the other side of the court, prompting her opponents to easily slid and hit the ball back.......when she has the whole mid court open to hit a slice or drop shot that would be impossible for her opponent to get to.

Sometimes she wins those rallies but more often than not, when she doesnt it's so frustrating. And then that cycle continues and before you know it, Venus is making more errors and is getting more and more tired because her opponent is getting the ball back. And there you have, the tired error-prone Venus we've been seeing at Roland Garros.

I agree, her stubborness and the fact she's been playing like that for most of her career will make it hard for Venus to change but I'd be satisfied if she changed a few things in her game for Roland Garros. It doesnt matter if she loses early as long as I (as a fan) see that she's making some sort of effort. Otherwise it's hard to be surprised when she loses early at RG with the game style she has right now...and the fact shes been losing early (i.e. 3r) for the past three years, makes me think that she really needs to adopt a new game plan as opposed to bombing out early.

All I'm asking is that she tries. I'm not asking her to make big changes, but just be confident to hit a drop shot now and again, hit behind the opponent, rush to the net instead of slowly getting up there....But who knows, maybe she'll be fine.
VishaalMaria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #154
Venus Fan

dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, maybe its her mentality when going into the French Open period. Maybe she's just hoping for the best out there and not really trying to make that extra effort involving game tactics

Planet Venus

Old May 4th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #155
country flag Xylon

Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of

Xylon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #156
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

why she needs to add dropshots like Radwanska??

Past Roland Garros Champion..

09- Kuznetsova
08- Ivanovic
05-07 Juju
04- Myskina
03- Juju
02- Serena
01- Capriati
00- Pierce
99- Graf

Agressive players right there.
except Myskina...and she isnt fond of using drops aswell...

If you watch Venus's old match, she actually uses drops then...

her match vs Patty was good, as they say
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #157
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post
Commando is back...!!

Thank you soo much Xylon!!!
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #158
country flag Sexysova
Hot as hell! <3

Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute

Rome R2: Venus Williams vs. Patty Schnyder

vs.

MATCH: http://forum.vaidisova-nicole.com/vi...p=13181#p13181
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #159
country flag Topspin2

Topspin2 has a brilliant future Topspin2 has a brilliant future Topspin2 has a brilliant future Topspin2 has a brilliant future Topspin2 has a brilliant future Topspin2 has a brilliant future Topspin2 has a brilliant future Topspin2 has a brilliant future Topspin2 has a brilliant future Topspin2 has a brilliant future Topspin2 has a brilliant future

Elena Dementieva

Anna Kournikova

Anna Chakvetadze
Topspin2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #160
Venus Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexysova View Post
Rome R2: Venus Williams vs. Patty Schnyder

vs.

MATCH: http://forum.vaidisova-nicole.com/vi...p=13181#p13181
oh shucks thanks

Planet Venus

Old May 5th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #161
country flag Xylon

Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of Xylon has much to be proud of

Xylon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #162
country flag Direwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post
ooh.. they were wearing similar outsides...
but of course.. the better outfit won...

Thanks!!
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #163
country flag Sexysova
Hot as hell! <3

Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute

Rome R3: Venus Williams vs. Shahar Peer

vs.

MATCH: http://forum.vaidisova-nicole.com/vi...p=13197#p13197
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #164

Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute

Must say - it bought a smile to my face to see that she'd packed that little Miami number in her suitcase. Normally I'm not a fan of orange or orangey-red on clay, but her dress looks so good on the surface. Venus is genuinely creative with her clothing because she creates numbers that are not only unconventional (without being absurd or pretentious) but thought-provoking. While she's created instant classics (Goddess dress) and pretty number (USO '07 dress, USO day dress) that you can love at first sight, at I've come to like is the fact that she gives you the "slow burn". Quite often I'll be surprised and thus undecided about one of her outfits and she'll really create something eye-catching (colour, fabric, cut, style) that really stands out, differs from the norm so that you have to think about. But what I've found is that over time I come to truly love these dresses that she's making, even if I don't instantly fall for them. Both her Miami dresses ('09 and '10) have been like that, and I've become really, really fond of this bordello dress in particular. It's incredibly cute and lovely. Speaking of "cute", yes USO '09 pink dress is a case in point...

It was so unlike anything I expected from her that - I hated it. But when I look over my Venus gallery, the dress is actually damn cute and unique. We should have an ode to Venus' dresses thread!
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by $#!+ View Post
why she needs to add dropshots like Radwanska??

Past Roland Garros Champion..

09- Kuznetsova
08- Ivanovic
05-07 Juju
04- Myskina
03- Juju
02- Serena
01- Capriati
00- Pierce
99- Graf

Agressive players right there.
except Myskina...and she isnt fond of using drops aswell...

If you watch Venus's old match, she actually uses drops then...

her match vs Patty was good, as they say
You've got a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishan... View Post
I still believe, despite her footspeed and power she can hit some drop shots (that dont even have to be that good) to win the point. Over the years I've seen Venus' opponents waaay behind the baseline hitting Venus' shots, and all Venus does is hit the ball back to the other side of the court, prompting her opponents to easily slid and hit the ball back.......when she has the whole mid court open to hit a slice or drop shot that would be impossible for her opponent to get to.

Sometimes she wins those rallies but more often than not, when she doesnt it's so frustrating. And then that cycle continues and before you know it, Venus is making more errors and is getting more and more tired because her opponent is getting the ball back.
And there you have, the tired error-prone Venus we've been seeing at Roland Garros.

I agree, her stubborness and the fact she's been playing like that for most of her career will make it hard for Venus to change but I'd be satisfied if she changed a few things in her game for Roland Garros. It doesnt matter if she loses early as long as I (as a fan) see that she's making some sort of effort. Otherwise it's hard to be surprised when she loses early at RG with the game style she has right now...and the fact shes been losing early (i.e. 3r) for the past three years, makes me think that she really needs to adopt a new game plan as opposed to bombing out early.

All I'm asking is that she tries. I'm not asking her to make big changes, but just be confident to hit a drop shot now and again, hit behind the opponent, rush to the net instead of slowly getting up there....But who knows, maybe she'll be fine.
You won't get any argument from me there. Trust me - I'd love to see Venus slice and drop-shot more - and she has been in her last two matches interestingly enough... but this has been against opponents that she pretty much owns, and at a tournament that she's always played quite well at, and therein lies the critical difference between Venus on clay outside RG, and Venus AT RG.

Venus has all the shots in her arsenal (yes even lobs), but it's always comes down to her comfort and confidence levels. On this you are 100% correct and I see the same thing. When she gets inexplicably tight, is put under pressure or gets in trouble and loses her way - instead of willing herself to be clear-headed and hit the controlled drop-shot she resorts to her 'native' game (camp behind the baseline, smack the crap out of the ball, run like crazy, rally and defend for the error - which usually results in her hitting an error. ) I still don't know what Richard and Oracene were thinking in training a 6 " 1, slim track athlete to be a baseliner where there were so many other options. It makes no sense. It's as if Venus were some kind of fly-by-night tennis experiment.

But it all comes down to nerve and courage. She has nothing to lose at RG and everything to gain.