Courting Controversy - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #31
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Courting Controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
"Job well done?" In what sense?!?

"Did anyone feel any sympathy for Hingis in Paris in 1999?" What, when Mauresmo beat her at the Paris Open in front of a very partisan crowd, or when Hingis lost to Graf in the final at Roland Garros after throwing away a winning lead with some incredibly childish, petulant behaviour?
Absolutely. Take me for example. I never held it against her that she was a bit naughty. On the contrary, more often than not I liked her cocky attitude.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 24th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #32
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
Job well done? Did anyone feel any sympathy for Hingis in Paris in 1999?
I did till I saw parts of her (German) persconference afterwards where she blamed it on everybody but herself!
I never was mad about what she did during the match though. Why should I? My fav won the tournament, the trophy and the male winner
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #33
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
"Job well done?" In what sense?!?
Read what Hingis said: now Mauresmo will show someone less affection. Now imagine my post sarcastically asking her, is that a job well done, is the world now a better place, because one person will show ANOTHER HUMAN BEING less affection?
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #34
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Job well done? Did anyone feel any sympathy for Hingis in Paris in 1999?
Why should they? Hingis acted like stupid spoiled brat. She thought she had the match won, so decided to extend it by creating an unnecessary vile scene. Unfortunately for Martina she was playing a great champion, who given a second chance, will beat you. The Hingis crying act, looking for sympathy, at the end was pathetic. I loved it when the crowd booed her. SHE DESERVED IT! That was the only time I was rooting for Hingis when the match started. After her idiotic act, I was glad she lost.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #35

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Why should they?
My original quote had anyone in italics. Meaning: how could anyone possibly support her when she comes out with such statements and is generally so up herself?

Does anyone do irony on this board?
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #36
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Why should they?
Speaking for myself: Because I loved her game. Leaving aside the Mauresmo comments which were in poor taste, I don't get the whole anti-Hingis attitude on TF, especially on BFTP. Year in year out people complain that "brainless ball bashing" is ruining the game. Here we had a girl who was the exact opposite of that, but it isn't appreciated because people feel that she wasn't humble enough. Sorry, but not everyone can be Evonne Goolagong. I ALWAYS rooted for Hingis because to me she was an artist with a tennis racket. I really didn't care about the other stuff. I feel the same way about her as, say, opera fans do about their favorite divas: They can be a pain in the ass, but who cares as long as they sing like Angels when the curtain goes up?.

Besides, how well do we know these players we're so judgemental about anyway? Maybe if you guys got to spend a few weeks with Hingis you might find her totally adorable, and another player who might have a perfect public image could turn out to be a major disappointment in real life. As for the French booeing Hingis - they booe anyone. They booed their countryman Henri Leconte when he played the final against Wilander. They booed Sanchez the year after she won the tournament. When some French girl was taking too long to win her match they started booeing her because they wanted to see a men's match. And I'm sure you still remember how they booed Serena in 2003.

Old Feb 25th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #37
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=213534

A thread I made on Hingis-Davenport-Mauresmo at the '99 Australian. It has audio clips from Hingis and Davenport in response to being accussed of calling Amelie half a man.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
As for the French booeing Hingis - they booe anyone. They booed their countryman Henri Leconte when he played the final against Wilander. They booed Sanchez the year after she won the tournament. When some French girl was taking too long to win her match they started booeing her because they wanted to see a men's match.
Gotta love the Parisian crowd, you certainly can't accuse them of not showing where their loyalties lie.

When Martina took a 3-0 lead against Chris in the 1986 final, the whole crowd sat stoney-faced, and NOT ONE PERSON applauded at the end of the game.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #39
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Speaking for myself: Because I loved her game. Leaving aside the Mauresmo comments which were in poor taste, I don't get the whole anti-Hingis attitude on TF, especially on BFTP. Year in year out people complain that "brainless ball bashing" is ruining the game. Here we had a girl who was the exact opposite of that, but it isn't appreciated because people feel that she wasn't humble enough
Hingis certainly spiced up the game. I loved her artistry as well. Goolagong with a tude!

Quote:
Besides, how well do we know these players we're so judgemental about anyway? Maybe if you guys got to spend a few weeks with Hingis you might find her totally adorable, and another player who might have a perfect public image could turn out to be a major disappointment in real life.
No one is all light or darkness. I don't agree with Court regarding her comments on Navratilova, but Martina can defend herself.

The church Court runs delivers about 5 tons of food weekly to people in need. That is a concrete good aiding people daily.

And while Hingis did bring a lot of what happened in Paris on herself she was so young. The crying at the end was understandable-not an act.

Dislike them if you will, but at least give these ladies a measure of understanding.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #40
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Gotta love the Parisian crowd, you certainly can't accuse them of not showing where their loyalties lie.

When Martina took a 3-0 lead against Chris in the 1986 final, the whole crowd sat stoney-faced, and NOT ONE PERSON applauded at the end of the game.

Old Feb 25th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #41
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

when Amelie Mauresmo arrived on the scene I think the French realised what they did to Martina N. unfortunately her singles career was over then but they treated her better in het second career. So for Martina it would have been good if Mauresmo had arrived earlier. I do not know why they were so for Chris with her boring game.
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #42
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

when Amelie Mauresmo arrived on the scene I think the French realised what they did to Martina N. unfortunately her singles career was over then but they treated her better in het second career. So for Martina it would have been good if Mauresmo had arrived earlier. I do not know why they were so for Chris with her boring game.
The timing of Martina's dominance had a lot to do with that. When Chris and Martina made the finals in 1975 Navratilova was "the darling of the crowd" and received their full support. When Evert faced Martina in 1985 it was reversed-Navratilova was dominating the sport then, so I think it was only natural to expect a pro-Evert crowd.

Martina's lesbianism was public knowledge as early as 1981, and by far the warmest recection she got until she was past her peak was at that year's US Open, when she broke down crying from all the cheering.

What made Mauresmo unique was her frank admission that she was a lesbian-no ifs and or buts. With Martina and Billie Jean they both clung to the
the trem "bisexual" for as long as possible. Given the era they were in that's understandable.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #43
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chris Evert's game was not boring.

Old Mar 13th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #44
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Chris Evert's game was not boring.
I will never forgive Chris and Connors for making the two handed backhand successful-LOL!! As for Hingis, I did admire her game but she came accross as a bit snotty. I still think she was lucky to fill the void between the Graf and Big Babe Tennis eras. Unlike Henin, she could not quite handle the top power players.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote