Courting Controversy - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 20th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #16
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
Re: Courting Controversy

I don't understand Christians and their aversie against gay people(or people with different view for that matter). If I have to believe the bible Jesus would be the last to judge people because they are "different"
But maybe it gives confidence to believe that you will be saved and the rest will be doomed

and I know it's not fair to just point out Christians because it's no different in a lot of other religions
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 20th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #17
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nelslus believes that it would have been more appropriate to put these posts in the Nelslus, Rollo, Thrust and Margaret Court Are Evil Cows From Hell thread.
LOL. maybe you could add "Evil cows skating on ice since it's the Olympics.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #18
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

"I don't understand Christians and their aversie against gay people(or people with different view for that matter). If I have to believe the bible Jesus would be the last to judge people because they are "different""

Religion, like alcohol, can make people say or do things they wouldn't normally say or do.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #19
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold

Yikes, I go to a hppie commune in Hawaii for a few weeks and this board goes crazypants over Rev Mags. What's goin' on here guys?
LOL. Do you all need some tipsy stoner posts or what?
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM   #20
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yikes, I go to a hppie commune in Hawaii for a few weeks and this board goes crazypants over Rev Mags. What's goin' on here guys?
LOL. Do you all need some tipsy stoner posts or what?
If it will lighten things up yes!-LOL.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:15 AM   #21
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Tipsy stoner posts from Mark, yes. And I like that Rollo made this a separate thread, with the title, "Courting Controversy". Agree with her views or not, it was apropos, because Mrs. Court has courted controversy with her comments. She's entitled to her views. Doesn't mean she has to remind us all of them. And I still wonder does Mrs. Court minister (and I don't mean conversion therapy!) to gay folks?

As someone else, posted, it is still considered "safe" to gay bash. And worse, to assume that you know what being gay is, when, you are not. Wonder if Mrs. Court had something like, "well I don't think Althea Gibson should be allowed to play in tournaments. She's colored folks and all, and that's just not right."

And in a sad moment that would have made Madge proud, I still cringe when recalling Martina Hingis' comments at the 1999 Australian, when Amelie Mauresmo had her "coming out" party (literally!) Hingis claiming Amelia was "half a man", and went on to say, "she's here with her girlfriend, and they're hugging and kissing, and there is a limit so such things!". And then went on to say she had nothing to apologize for! Yup, Madge would be proud!

Now if only someone had made a comment about Hingis' slutting around the tour, sleeping w/every guy she fancied, and have someone state to the press, "my God, she's here with her new boyfriend, and they're hugging and kissing in public, and there is a limit to such things!"

(That Mrs. Hingis - or whatever Melanie's name was - didn't slap her upside the head.....and remind Martina II she was named after Martina I....a lesbian!!! oops)
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:57 AM   #22
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Rollo, I don't think anyone expects Margaret to scratch your eyes out because you're gay (even if you make it known to her that you are).

I don't understand why people think that Court should be immune to criticism because she's a great tennis player.
Some people have met her on a few occasions, and found her to be "charming." I imagine there are folks who might have made the same claim about Hitler!
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:13 AM   #23
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold

Nice points Dennis. I totally agree - those comments, made a mere 11 years ago, are still as atrocious as ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
Tipsy stoner posts from Mark, yes. And I like that Rollo made this a separate thread, with the title, "Courting Controversy". Agree with her views or not, it was apropos, because Mrs. Court has courted controversy with her comments. She's entitled to her views. Doesn't mean she has to remind us all of them. And I still wonder does Mrs. Court minister (and I don't mean conversion therapy!) to gay folks?

As someone else, posted, it is still considered "safe" to gay bash. And worse, to assume that you know what being gay is, when, you are not. Wonder if Mrs. Court had something like, "well I don't think Althea Gibson should be allowed to play in tournaments. She's colored folks and all, and that's just not right."

And in a sad moment that would have made Madge proud, I still cringe when recalling Martina Hingis' comments at the 1999 Australian, when Amelie Mauresmo had her "coming out" party (literally!) Hingis claiming Amelia was "half a man", and went on to say, "she's here with her girlfriend, and they're hugging and kissing, and there is a limit so such things!". And then went on to say she had nothing to apologize for! Yup, Madge would be proud!

Now if only someone had made a comment about Hingis' slutting around the tour, sleeping w/every guy she fancied, and have someone state to the press, "my God, she's here with her new boyfriend, and they're hugging and kissing in public, and there is a limit to such things!"

(That Mrs. Hingis - or whatever Melanie's name was - didn't slap her upside the head.....and remind Martina II she was named after Martina I....a lesbian!!! oops)
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:02 PM   #24
country flag jamesuk

jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold

Can someone dig up a clip of Hingis and her Mauresmo comments, or a transcription of the interview itself? I still have a suspicion that it was the fault of the journalists desperate for some scandal. Some comments need no context to be unacceptable, but I think in this case I would need to see the whole interview to judge how rude Hingis really was being.
jamesuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:49 PM   #25
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Can someone dig up a clip of Hingis and her Mauresmo comments, or a transcription of the interview itself? I still have a suspicion that it was the fault of the journalists desperate for some scandal. Some comments need no context to be unacceptable, but I think in this case I would need to see the whole interview to judge how rude Hingis really was being.
I have no clips, but I recall some source saying Hingis used a sort of slangy Swiss/German dialect term when describing Mauresmo.

Davenport also commented on Amelie's muscles (without dragging her sexuality into it), then quickly apologized.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:59 PM   #26
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesuk View Post

Here's part of an "Associated Press" report from around the 1999 Australian Open:

"Mauresmo is the first player on the women's tour since Martina Navratilova to talk publicly about being a lesbian. She said she moved to Saint Tropez last year to live with girlfriend Sylvie Bourdon, 31. "At last, I'm clear in my head, clear in my mind, clear in my life, and it shows in my tennis," Mauresmo said of her decision to be open about her life with Bourdon. Hingis was asked after the semifinals about the difference between Mauresmo now and when they played last year in Fed Cup. "She's here with her girlfriend. She's half a man," Hingis was reported to have said in German. On the same day, Lindsay Davenport said she thought at times she was playing against a man in her semifinal loss to Mauresmo. While Hingis denied the "half a man" comment, Davenport angrily insisted the next day that she was referring only to Mauresmo's muscular play, especially the way she slugged one-handed topspin backhands unlike other women. After the final, Hingis said she had "nothing to apologize for," and refused to talk about the issue. Mauresmo sought to brush aside the situation, saying that "all that has been happening these past days is a little stupid. Both of them apologized, so I don't want to talk about it anymore." But Mauresmo's coach, Christophe Fournerie, insisted there was much more to it than that. "I'd like to make a distinction between Davenport, who not only apologized but also wrote a personal note to Amelie, and Hingis' behavior, which was disappointing," Fournerie said. "In fact, she (Hingis) said that Amelie was half a man because she lived with a woman, and that's not acceptable. It would be better if she reflected a little before speaking.""

I believe the term Hingis used was "Halbmann" [literally: "half-man"], which is a new one on me. But it might be confined to Swiss German.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #27
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of

She sort of reminds me of the British novelist, John Masters. John Masters wrote books about India during the British days: Bhowani Junction, The Deceivers and Nightrunners of Bengla. His works are controversial because of his depiction of Indians on the negative side: various tribes and religions. His argument was that it was an honest portrayal of realism of the characters.

Critics gave him respect because of his knowledge of Indian people concerning human nature with the British. He was driven to prove he was pure British instead of Anglo-Indian or Eurasian. Eventually, he found out that he had Indian ancestry. Not very surprising, considering that he and his family were born in India for generations.

In short, to know one, you must be one.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #28
country flag DennisFitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesuk View Post
Here is exactly what she said: (from SI, Feb 8, 1999

In a press conference following the match, Davenport said, "A couple of times, I mean, I thought I was playing a guy out there, the girl was hitting it so hard, so strong, and I would look over there and she's so strong in the shoulders, those shoulders." Even those comments might have gone largely unnoticed had not Hingis, shortly afterward in an interview conducted in German, said of Mauresmo, "She's half a man; she's here with her girlfriend." With that, a cause célèbre was born. The Melbourne tabloid Herald Sun's approach was typical: two pictures—one of Mauresmo on the court, from the rear, and one of her and Bourdon nuzzling after the match—beneath the headline OH MAN, SHE'S GOOD.

Davenport was appalled at the tempest her statements had helped stir up. She wrote a note of apology that was delivered to Mauresmo at the Melbourne Hyatt Hotel on the night before the final. "Very gentle words, very sincere," said Mauresmo.

Hingis was less contrite. That same evening she sharply criticized the open nature of Mauresmo's relationship with Bourdon. "Everyone makes her own choices," Hingis said, "but you don't have to show it in everything you do. They are hugging and kissing each other all the time, and I'm just, 'O.K., there is a limit.' Now I think Mauresmo got her lesson. She won't show [affection] as much."
Hingis apologized to Mauresmo as the two players stood on Centre Court awaiting the trophy presentation. "I hope you really mean this," Mauresmo recalled saying in response, although she doubted Hingis was sincere, and in fact Hingis wasn't. "I'm not regretting anything I said about her," Hingis said during the car ride to the photo shoot, "but I have to see [Mauresmo] for many years, and I don't want to have to look into the wall every time I see her coming."

With Amelie - one of the sweetest, nicest champions of all-time, recently retired, and now able to prepare her acceptance speech to the HOF. While Miss Hingis, who I do love adding NEVER WON a singles major after that 1999 Australian title, having her career suspended and her entry in the HOF in some doubt, because she was caught taking drugs. Oh, the delicious ironies of life, Miss Hingis!

Now would Madge Court be proud of what Hingis said, and did (cocaine), or Amelie for the way she conducted herself on and off court?
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #29
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
"Now I think Mauresmo got her lesson. She won't show affection as much."
Job well done? Did anyone feel any sympathy for Hingis in Paris in 1999?
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #30
country flag newmark401

"Job well done?" In what sense?!?

"Did anyone feel any sympathy for Hingis in Paris in 1999?" What, when Mauresmo beat her at the Paris Open in front of a very partisan crowd, or when Hingis lost to Graf in the final at Roland Garros after throwing away a winning lead with some incredibly childish, petulant behaviour?