Anett Kontaveit - Page 71 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 09:55 AM   #1051
country flag Dan_Doe

Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future
Re: Anett Kontaveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asadinator View Post
All these junior girls (Anett, Donna, Bencic, Abanda, Barty, Townsend, Khromacheva, etc) are far better than the boys. In fact the best boys are Liam Broady and Luke Saville, who are both 18 and have not made any impression in seniors (not even futures level). While all the girls have started winning senior matches (at challengers) at 14/15.

There might not be any teenage prodigies, but all these girls are making steady progress towards the WTA tour. While on the ATP, Tomic will be the youngest in the Top 100 for a few more years
Yeah, men's tennis' future doesn't look very bright with these juniors. The Dimitrov, Raonic, Goffin, Janowicz & then Tomic, Harrison generations are looking good, but if you take the last 4 years GS winners, such as Bhambri, Berta, Fernandes or Fucsovics.. I hope for late bloomers or guys who didn't play juniors to take over, otherwise the future doesn't look great.
Saville and Peliwo are rolling in juniors, but they barely hit the top 600 ATP as 18 yo. Tomic and Harrison were close to top 100 at their age.

Girls are developing much earlier, physically speaking, and it's a pretty normal thing for them to make an impact in pros at 16/17, but still women tennis seems to have a much brighter future.
Dan_Doe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1052
country flag Chris 84

Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Doe View Post
The Dimitrov, Raonic, Goffin, Janowicz & then Tomic, Harrison generations are looking good
not if you compare it to any other generation....like ever. not saying those guys aren't talented, they are, and i particularly like what i've seen from goffin, even if he is a bit lightweight. however, these guys are pretty much in the 20, 21 age range and have barely had a sniff of a chance of winning a slam, reaching the top-ranked places in the game, etc. they are already waaay behind most of the top players throughout history in the open era, and certainly by 23, the vast majority of first time slam winners are one (or two) hit wonders, with the exception being lendl. but like murray if he were to win a slam soon, lendl had proved that he belonged in the upper echelons of the game already.

what i mean is that in any other generation within the open era, the players who go on to have very good slam-winning careers have been at the very top in general between 17-21. there is no indication that the generation to which you refer will be in that bracket. they may surprise me, but i can't really see any of the players that you mentioned (or the likes of berankis, etc) becoming multi-time slam champions unless the generations that follow them are even worse. tomic perhaps has shown the most to me, and is still only 19, so i guess i'd go with him if i had to guess at one of these guys to become a huge success. but i can't really see it atm. by the time fed, djoke, rafa and murray are away, these guys will be in their mid-late 20s and it might be too late by then.

Bibiane Schoofs Flavia Pennetta Anett Kontaveit Aga Radwanska Tara Moore Sorana Cirstea

MY TWITTER
https://twitter.com/ChrissieBhoy
Chris 84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:03 AM   #1053
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is inevitable that she will get out hit on occasions, but it's quite common in WTA even the best get outhit, unless you are Williams or Sharapova who attack from the first ball and don't give their opponents a chance. But Ash can minimize damage if she improves her defensive skills and consistency.

Yes Anett is always on the baseline, which is quite a common and successful tactic on the WTA these days, if you want to rebound the ball quickly giving your opponent little time. But it has 2 negatives: Shot selection becomes limited and if your opponent changes the pace you can make errors because you have less time to adjust. It suits her game though, because it revolves more around power than technical.

That video is great. Even at a young age you can see Khromacheva is quite talented, also vocal

After watching Vekic, It is difficult to say who has more potential. But I think Vekic is just a bit stronger than Anett, physically.
Well DOnna is about 5 CM taller (I think )
Anett does come to net more than most Juniors (there are videos of her on sport.err.ee in Tallinn 10K where she comes to net often ) but from what I've seen her volleys must be improved, except for her beautiful Drive Volley and Smash

On the topic of Girls developing faster, it is just as it has always been. Girls enter puberty younger then boys and coupled with their ability to keep up from a young age (and the fact that by the time Girls are 16 they are unlucky to grow much more, especially Anett and Donna who were both tall very young), it makes sense that they do better Also the womens relies more on timing and flexibility, rather than strength and stamina meaning it is easier for them to keep up. The good young mens player have often before come out of nowhere, and I expect that to happen in the 1993/92 Generation

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 12:03 PM   #1054
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of

@Chris, I totally agree with you. But 19-21yo generation will have plenty of chances for many years to come, because there are literally no promising young players. It is all getting worse and worse for ATP.

@chingching, good points. However I must remind you Tomic/Harrison/Raonic did not rise suddenly, they had a few years of good senior performances. Tomic won 1st round of AO at 16, Harrison played well at an ATP, etc. They were all ranked in the 200s at 16/17 years of age.
binky-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 12:45 PM   #1055
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@Chris, I totally agree with you. But 19-21yo generation will have plenty of chances for many years to come, because there are literally no promising young players. It is all getting worse and worse for ATP.

@chingching, good points. However I must remind you Tomic/Harrison/Raonic did not rise suddenly, they had a few years of good senior performances. Tomic won 1st round of AO at 16, Harrison played well at an ATP, etc. They were all ranked in the 200s at 16/17 years of age.
That is true but they all had advantages. Tomic had a really weird game and is a 1 in 10,000 player, while Raonic/Harrison had the weaponry. I just think they were extraordinarily good at their age I think that there will be some again, but as technology advances and it becomes harder and harder to have tennis as a part time career if you know what I mean, the Boys rankings will soon have so little effect on who breaks through and you won't really get any young guns any more That's one thing I like about the womens

Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 01:22 PM   #1056
country flag Dan_Doe

Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
not if you compare it to any other generation....like ever. not saying those guys aren't talented, they are, and i particularly like what i've seen from goffin, even if he is a bit lightweight. however, these guys are pretty much in the 20, 21 age range and have barely had a sniff of a chance of winning a slam, reaching the top-ranked places in the game, etc. they are already waaay behind most of the top players throughout history in the open era, and certainly by 23, the vast majority of first time slam winners are one (or two) hit wonders, with the exception being lendl. but like murray if he were to win a slam soon, lendl had proved that he belonged in the upper echelons of the game already.

what i mean is that in any other generation within the open era, the players who go on to have very good slam-winning careers have been at the very top in general between 17-21. there is no indication that the generation to which you refer will be in that bracket. they may surprise me, but i can't really see any of the players that you mentioned (or the likes of berankis, etc) becoming multi-time slam champions unless the generations that follow them are even worse. tomic perhaps has shown the most to me, and is still only 19, so i guess i'd go with him if i had to guess at one of these guys to become a huge success. but i can't really see it atm. by the time fed, djoke, rafa and murray are away, these guys will be in their mid-late 20s and it might be too late by then.

That 'good' was supposed to mean 'decent'
If we stopped seeing teenage girl sensations anymore, since 2007 (Nicole ), I guess we won't see boys cracking the top at young ages either, so I think Dimitrov, Tomic, Harrison & co are doing just fine.
Considering Roger, Rafa, Nole and Andy won't be there forever, I expect these guys to dominate grand slams for a few years, especially given' the quality of younger up and comers.
Dan_Doe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #1057
country flag chingching

BTW, Sun is now through to RD 2 with a 4 and 3 win over Woerle, so maybe Anett's loss wasn't completely because of her. Although, I would expect her to beat Woerle TBH

Old Jul 25th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #1058
country flag muusa

muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold

The quali list for Beijing keeps getting weaker every day, Anett is even not that far from being seeded. Anyway, I really hope she can at least pull herself through to the main draw this time
muusa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1059
country flag chingching

Quote:
Originally Posted by muusa View Post
The quali list for Beijing keeps getting weaker every day, Anett is even not that far from being seeded. Anyway, I really hope she can at least pull herself through to the main draw this time
She is probably already there and adjusting to the courts
I hope she can too and I think she will this time, but we will have to see her draw
BTW, Sun lost in the 2nd Round 6-4 in the 3rd after saving 11 MPs
Let's just hope Anett doesn't waste another tournament, but I sense that if she can make the MD that she will get some confidence, which might give her an opportunity fir a MD in

Old Jul 27th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #1060
country flag muusa

muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold

The quali draw is out and this is Anett's section. Looks better than last week.

(2)Xinyun Han (CHN) v (wc)Ai Wen Zhu (CHN)
Ran Tian (CHN) v Fangzhou Liu (CHN)
Yuxuan Zhang (CHN) v Anett Kontaveit (EST)
(7)Nungnadda Wannasuk (THA) v Xin Wen (CHN)

First up against Yuxuan Zhang who is ranked 731. If Anett doesn't win this then
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #1061
country flag chingching

Quote:
The quali draw is out and this is Anett's section. Looks better than last week.

(2)Xinyun Han (CHN) v (wc)Ai Wen Zhu (CHN)
Ran Tian (CHN) v Fangzhou Liu (CHN)
Yuxuan Zhang (CHN) v Anett Kontaveit (EST)
(7)Nungnadda Wannasuk (THA) v Xin Wen (CHN)

First up against Yuxuan Zhang who is ranked 731. If Anett doesn't win this then
Quite a nice draw until Han
I am going to say that Anett will win this, but I feel I may regret it

I expect her to beat Wannasuk if she wins her first match as it will be good to get a win under your belt, but Han will be hard simply because she is lefty again and she took a set off Stosur at AO 2010

Anyway, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jul 27th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #1062
country flag Tennisfan06

Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute

If she loses R1 again

Wannasuk is not an easy opponent, she can play some good tennis and she has recently done quite well at 10Ks.
Tennisfan06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #1063
country flag Tennisfan06

Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute

Lost 57 64 26

Girl...
Tennisfan06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #1064
country flag muusa

That's really bad. Two tournaments wasted, zero points gained. Back to 10k-s now?
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #1065
country flag chingching

Quote:
That's really bad. Two tournaments wasted, zero points gained. Back to 10k-s now?
25s I think
I have no idea how she lost two matches, but maybe she doesn't play well against Asians
Still, a very despicable loss. A waste of a few thousand dollars and more importantly, 2 points and no points I still don't know how she lost this She could have won R2 if she won I hope her Juniors will be less catastrophic