Articles and Interviews about Alisa - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 26th, 2011, 03:35 AM   #31
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews about Alisa

ESTORIL, Portugal—It’s early to have a favorite court at the Estoril Open, but the charm of Centralito is undeniable. “Little centre,” flanked by colonnades and backed by the slanting pine trees covering the hills of Jamor, is a pleasant place to sit on sun-warmed stone bleachers and enjoy a soft breeze coming off the sea. There’s nothing soft or pleasant, however, about the manner in which Alisa Kleybanova dismantles Olga Govortsova, 6-2, 6-2. The tournament’s top seed has 90 ranking places on her opponent and seems determined to exact revenge for her defeat by the Belarusian in her last two matches.
It’s a match of short points and first strikes. Govortsova hits big, but up close, Kleybanova’s tennis is simply huge. She hits flat and hard, the ball popping cleanly off the strings each time to clear the net by inches. She is clinical and effective at net and willing to forge forward when she can. Type ‘Alisa Kleybanova’ into Google and the first two suggested search terms you get are “fat” and “weight,” but the woman I’m watching looks amazingly fit. Even the sudden jerk of her head as she hits through the ball looks different seen from close-up; more an organic part of her stroke, an expressive flourish that redeems her style from the clean and mechanical.
Kleybanova kept Govortsova waiting at the beginning of the match while she exchanged a few last-minute words with her coach at the top of the Centralito stairs, and keeps me waiting for the best part of an hour for a post-match interview, but she doesn’t waste time when she does arrive. Frank and straightforward, Kleybanova uses the word ’hungry’ a lot—she’s hungry for matches, hungry to put her training into practice, hungry for the big tournaments. She doesn’t smile a lot, but when she does—noticeably when talking about her grandmother Zhanna, who is traveling with her for the first time—it transforms her face.
I ask her about the current state of the WTA and the sense that any one of a number of players, Kleybanova included, can win a big tournament or even a Slam if they get their form together. “I would say that Top 30 is really very close to each other in the level, it’s very strong. So someone who is better shape and has a bit more luck during the week and I don’t know, finds himself [sic] on the court good has a lot of chances to win…Every match now is difficult, I mean for example I’m a top seed or a Top 4 seed, it doesn’t matter, you get a tough match straight away from the first round. Now any match you get, no matter if you’re seeded or not, you have to give everything and be ready for a fight.” As we talk, Bethanie Mattek-Sands, the fifth seed, is losing to Monica Niculescu, proving the point.
When I think about Kleybanova, I think of a player on the verge with all the talent in the world, seeking a way to put it all together. She can beat any player on tour on her day, as she says, but she’s also prone to bizarre losses - most recently a 6-1, 6-0 rout at the hands of Christina McHale in Charleston, a match she refers to as “a bit of disaster.” It’s useful to remember that despite her imposing physical presence and air of maturity, she’s only 21, her big break coming at Wimbledon 2008 when she made the fourth round. She would love above all things to go further at Wimbledon, she says, and in an age where players are maturing later than they once did, it’s eminently possible.

What’s interesting about Kleybanova on court is how self-contained she is, how unemotional. Her game is premised on rendering the opponent irrelevant by hitting past them if possible, through them if necessary; it’s mirrored by her self-absorbed body language, barely glancing down the other end of the court or looking at her coach, who reclines in his seat like he knows he doesn’t have much to do today. The other day I listened to Eleni Danilidou’s coach yell “emotions out, Eleni, emotions OUT!” after every other point for three-and-a-half hours, but Kleybanova’s tennis is a world away from the Greek’s choppy, battling style; it’s not about engaging the opponent and breaking them down, as for example Caroline Wozniacki’s game, it’s about executing her own game well and trusting that everything else will take care of itself.
Something that sounds as simple as that has to be very complicated indeed, and Kleybanova gets her most animated when I ask about her inconsistent results. “It’s not like I don’t know how to play,” she says, sounding for once as young as her years. “Recently I tried to take my bad losses more quiet like, it’s OK, I know that it happens to me and I just don’t want to focus on it too much. When you can accept that you can play really bad, you go on the court and you just say, OK, I’ll try to do the best that I can. And if it isn’t working, I’ll try to win the match anyways, I’ll try to find the key to win…So maybe like step by step I am trying to make my game more consistent so it won’t be such a big difference between great matches and bad losses. I still have some strange matches going on but I hope it’s going to be less and less and I’m going to have my level more steady.”

It sounds like her biggest competition is herself, something that her childhood spent training as a swimmer alongside tennis has clearly prepared her for. She chose tennis because “you can express yourself more, it’s more individual…In tennis you can be tall, you can be short, you can adjust to yourself and work on yourself and always find a way to be good.”
I point out that she’s doing pretty well in her chosen sport.
“So far,” she says, smiling. “So far.”
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 26th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #32
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute

thanks,very interesting article to read
Old May 21st, 2011, 01:13 PM   #33
country flag Chadmild

Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice

Alisa seems to be in really bad form according to a friend who works in a hospital...
Chadmild is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 04:56 PM   #34
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmild View Post
Alisa seems to be in really bad form according to a friend who works in a hospital...
You're right

rolandgarros

Alisa Kleybanova, number 23 seed, has withdrawn because of illness.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 05:16 PM   #35
country flag Chadmild

Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice Chadmild is just really nice

My friend told me that (in french, difficult to translate) : "Elle a un syndrome inflammatoire, probablement d'origine infectieuse. Elle a fait des dépistages pour VIH, hépatites et autres virus."
Chadmild is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:23 PM   #36
country flag Bероника

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmild View Post
My friend told me that (in french, difficult to translate) : "Elle a un syndrome inflammatoire, probablement d'origine infectieuse. Elle a fait des dépistages pour VIH, hépatites et autres virus."
mais ces dépistages ça veut pas dire qu'elle a tout ça,non? seulemenrt qu'on lui a fait des test pour connaitre l'origine de sa maladie,non?
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #37
country flag Kylger

Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute

I just read that Alisa is battling with cancer

I can not be considered a fan, but that is tragic for anyone.
TT: Rank Singles 137 (High: 31), Doubles 30 (High: 5)
Best run singles: WTA: W - Tashkent '11, F - Seoul '10, QF - Roland Garros '10, Madrid '11, R4 - Wimbledon '10; ITF: F - Barnstable '11, QF Biberach, Torhout, Cagnes-sur-Mer '10
Doubles: WTA: W: Wimbledon' 12 (w/Kevin.), Bad Gastein '11, Bali (TC) '11, Guangzhou (w/Blackeagle) '10, RU - Madrid '11, Seoul '10, ITF - W: Nassau '11; Minsk'10 (w/Blackeagle)
Kylger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #38
country flag Kylger

Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute Kylger has a reputation beyond repute

Just found the article in English

Quote:
Friday, July 15, 2011
Hello everyone

It's my birthday today and I want to thank all of you for the wonderful messages and wishes. I haven't written anything for a long time about why I haven't been on tour, so I would like to do it today.

It's not an easy time for me right now. I have Hodgkin's lymphoma, a form of cancer. I'm having treatment in Italy and it's going well, but it takes lots of patience and time, and I need to be really strong and positive to go through this. I still have a few more months of treatment to go. But the good news is, if I feel well after I'm done with everything, there's a chance that I'll be able to play tennis again. There is nothing for sure, but the chance is a big hope for me and it helps me to stay positive and focus on my healing every single day! I really miss playing - I miss seeing fans and friends around the world, I miss hitting the ball, I miss everything. Tennis has been my life for the last 15 years.

There are a few reasons why I'm undergoing treatment in Italy. First, I have a training base and many close friends here, so it's like a second home. Second, the hospital in Perugia is one of the best in Italy that specializes in this problem and the doctors are doing everything the best for me. It's just the perfect place for me to be - the surroundings help me to feel at home.

I am a strong person. I've shown it before. Obviously this is different than anything I've ever experienced, but after this is over I'm sure my life will be even better than ever before. This is the toughest time of my life till now, and I hope it always remains the toughest time of my life. I'm sure I'll be able to overcome this - it's just a matter of patience and time and I believe I have enough!

Of course, even though I'm in treatment, I hope I'll have a fun birthday today I'm really happy I have my family, my best friends and all the most important people with me here today. They're here every day, week and month helping me with everything and giving me all their support.

Anyway, I just wanted to write to you all because it has been a long time and I really miss all of you guys... I won't be on tour for a little while, but I really hope to see all of you again soon

Alisa
WTA link
TT: Rank Singles 137 (High: 31), Doubles 30 (High: 5)
Best run singles: WTA: W - Tashkent '11, F - Seoul '10, QF - Roland Garros '10, Madrid '11, R4 - Wimbledon '10; ITF: F - Barnstable '11, QF Biberach, Torhout, Cagnes-sur-Mer '10
Doubles: WTA: W: Wimbledon' 12 (w/Kevin.), Bad Gastein '11, Bali (TC) '11, Guangzhou (w/Blackeagle) '10, RU - Madrid '11, Seoul '10, ITF - W: Nassau '11; Minsk'10 (w/Blackeagle)
Kylger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #39
country flag Bероника

Alisa Kleybanova opens up about her illness, returns in Miami

Alisa Kleybanova will make her return to the court at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami on Tuesday after a 10-month battle with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. The 22-year-old Russian will play her first match on the Grandstand court against Joanna Larsson of Sweden.
For Kleybanova, merely stepping on court will be a dream come true. For years, she ignored the constant run-down feeling she suffered, chalking it up to being part of the grinding life of a professional athlete.
“When you’re doing professional sport, you always [have] some problems,” Kleybanova told reporters in Miami on Monday. “You have always some pain. It’s not like everyday you’re waking up feeling completely healthy. It’s your work. You have so much fatigue every day.”
The problem was that fatigue never went away. Kleybanova grew frustrated. Though she was already a top 20 player, Kleybanova felt her body was preventing her from doing the hard work she needed in order to get better. After constantly trying to play through fatigue and flu-like symptoms, Kleybanova began to suspect it might be something more serious. By the time she arrived in Rome for the 2011 Italian Open, Kleybanova found herself unable to play through her fatigue.
“Until Rome I was still getting over it all the time. So there we were pretty sure it might be another thing. I was still hoping to play the French Open, but I didn’t get better anymore. That’s where we decided I have to stop and really see deep inside what’s going wrong.”

What was wrong was that Kleybanova had Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, a form of cancer originating from white blood cells. Initially shocked by the diagnosis, Kleybanova says she was relieved to finally understand why she was constantly sick. Once she had time to process it all, she prepared herself for tough road ahead.
“This is going to be basically a very tough time for me and another big fight which is much tougher and is going to take a very long time. It’s not like a big tournament. It’s something completely different and something I really have to focus on beating.”
Kleybanova stayed in Italy for treatment, which entailed extensive chemotherapy which broke down her body and caused some hair loss. “Almost,” Kleybanova laughed when asked if the treatment caused complete hair loss. It’s that good humor that helped her get through the painful chemotherapy treatments.
“I think the most important thing is to be happy, a smile on your face. Because if you are suffering it’s never gonna work. You have difficulties and you obviously have fatigue and it’s tough. But you have to still enjoy what you’re doing. You can’t be negative. You have to always be positive. This is the most important point and it helps no matter what you do.”
It was a physically and emotionally grueling time for the young Russian, but surrounded by family and friends (her boyfriend, Giancomo Rigoni, a professional volleyball player in Italy, stayed with her every day), she says she was committed to beating the cancer and returning to the tennis court. After seven months of treatment doctors cleared her to return to court and begin training again. “The only concern was the physical condition because for such a long time I literally couldn’t do anything so I obviously had to start almost from zero,” she says. “Because it’s not just that I didn’t even do anything it’s also the treatment that was breaking down the body.”
Kleybanova had her last treatment in December, and after some time to let her body cycle through the last remaining treatments, she started hitting again in February. She’s been training in Miami in preparation for the Sony Ericsson Open and, as good-natured as ever, sounded relaxed and excited at the prospect of taking the court for her first match on Tuesday. ”I really hope the worst part is over and now I will try and keep myself as healthy as possible and enjoy.
“The biggest thing in tennis I like the most is tournaments, is matches,” she said. “I really like the result, I like to win, I like to play, to have this excitement, emotions during my matches. I think this is what I missed the most and actually probably this feeling kept me always there to fight through all the problems I had. I think that’s why in such a short time I’m here now and really excited to play my first round.”
She has no idea if she’ll be the player she was before her diagnosis but for now it’s just about getting back on court and competing. ”I don’t want to think about my ranking, I don’t want to think about where I want to be,” Kleybanova said.” I just want to be on the court and play tennis and feel good, you know? I know it’s gonna be really tough. Everybody is progressing, it’s improving every year.”
“For the now, my dream already came true, that I’m here, I’m back on the court. From now on I’m happy just to play tennis. If I’m gonna be successful that’s gonna be fantastic. But if things won’t go great from the beginning, I’m just really emotional to be back and hit some balls. I’m really, really happy already.”
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 06:33 AM   #40
country flag Bероника

Emotional & Winning Return For Kleybanova

MIAMI, FL, USA - In a match she later said she would always remember, Alisa Kleybanova made a winning return from her battle with Hodgkin's lymphoma on Tuesday, rallying to win in the first round of the Sony Ericsson Open.

Kleybanova, a former World No.20 who had been out for the last 10 months, showed some signs of rust early on as she faced Johanna Larsson, losing serve twice en route to dropping the first set to the No.64-ranked Swede, 6-2.

"I was a little bit out of control in the first set," Kleybanova said. "The first match back from anything is always difficult, but especially this time I really had no idea how it was going to be out there. Tennis-wise I felt pretty good from the beginning but Johanna has a difficult game to play against, she makes you run a lot out there - she makes you tired even if you're in your best shape.

"But I'm looking at my matches differently now. It's my work, but I really just wanted to enjoy every point and every moment. Even when I lost the first set I wanted to stay positive and just enjoy myself out there, and that's why I was able to stay out there and change the way the match was going."

Kleybanova hung tough, breaking in the fourth game of the second set to move ahead 3-1, eventually holding the rest of the way to take the set, 6-3; her momentum was just too strong from there as she reeled off four straight games to build a 4-0 third set lead, and she rode it to a 26 63 62 victory.

"I felt I was playing better the more I was on the court," she said. "It's not just about the win though, it's that I'm back on court. If I didn't win, it's not like I would have been mad. I was just happy to be playing points, feeling all the emotions again... it's something I missed a lot and it was all out there today.

"For everyone else it's just the first round, but for me it's very emotional. I'll always remember it - it will always be the first match of my comeback."

Kleybanova's coach, Julian Vespan, was also touched. "It was very emotional for him too," she added. "But he's just really happy I'm back playing tennis again. Of course he's very, very happy I won, but he's also my best friend and he feels happy when I feel good and when I'm smiling. He just wants me to be happy. When he saw me enjoying myself again he was very happy for me."

Kleybanova will play No.22 seed Maria Kirilenko in the second round.

"I still feel like I'm building my game, and it'll take time before I reach my highest level," Kleybanova explained. "I'm just going to try to get better with every match. I hope the good results will come, but I'm not going onto the court just thinking of winning. Who knows what will happen in the next one."

Kleybanova beat Kirilenko in their only previous head-to-head meeting....
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #41
country flag Bероника

Chempionat.com: Interview with Alisa

Alisa this week gave an exclusive interview to the Chempionat.com sports website. The interview focuses on her return to tennis and all the difficulties she faced.
The following is a translated extract.

Q: Alisa, first of all I'd like to congratulate you on returning to action. Tell us something more about your first tournament in Miami.
A: I did very well. Was glad to return to tennis. The most important thing for me was to compete again, play matches, just hit balls. All my friends supported me along the way. It was a very exciting event for me.

Q: Right after you finished playing, did you stay a bit longer in the US or rather you flew back to Italy?
A: Originally I planned to go to Charleston, but got a shoulder problem and decided to withdraw. This is when I decided to fly back to Italy. No need to hurry. I decided no to play the full schedule, tournament after tournament, as I used to. Physically I'm still unable to play matches week after week. I'm happy with my Miami showing and my team is happy. Everything is going smoothly. Nevertheless, it's too early to say that I'm fully prepared to return to the Tour.

Q: Aren't you afraid that, no matter how many titles you win, people will also label you as "the girl who overcame cancer"?
A: Frankly speaking, I don't care how I will be labeled. The most important is that I've recovered and can play tennis and do things I love doing. Everything else is of minor importance. Now I'm focused on staying healthy and spending time with my close friends, my team and my coach. We are always together and support each other. You know, in the world nowadays, somebody says one thing, then somebdy else says another thing, and so on. You cannot control it and this is why it's better not to pay attention to what's happening around.

Q: Let's go back to the day when you got diagnosed 11 months ago. Can you remember what you felt at that moment? What were your thoughts?
A: I had lots of thoughts, but was not worried about the fact that I would not be able to play tennis. My first thought was: "Oh, what a nightmare! I will not be able to play tennis!" When you get diagnosed, you must do what you can to survive. And this is what I did.

Q: You had lots of free time. How did you amuse yourself?
A: The summer was very hot and I couldn't stay for long in the sun. So I cannot say I had a lot of summer fun. I had a relaxing time - watching movies, reading books, chatting with friends.

Q: It turns out that Alisa Kleybanova is a complete optimist in life. Is it true?
A: Yes, of course! You can say so. However, I'd like to add that without my family's support, especially my grandmother, dad, my friends, my team and my coach, I wouldn't have coped with this. They helped me with everything. My boyfriend was also a great support for me. No matter how optimistic you are, if you are left alone with your problems, it's extremely difficult to cope with them.

To be continued.
Old May 17th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #42
country flag Bероника

sovsport.ru: Sovestkiy Sport Interview

The following is an extract of the recently published lenghty interview to the Sovestkiy Sport magazine.

The Rome tournament, which is the last major warmup before the French Open, is about to start. Unfortunately, Alisa Kleybanova, a former Top 20 player and cancer survivor, is not among the players confirmed.

SS: Alisa, are you still suffering from a shoulder injury?
Alisa: To be honest, that just muscle overuse. Now I know that my comeback to tennis was too early. Of course, I was really happy to win my first-round match, but had no gas in the tank left.

SS: But you said that from a medical point of view, there were no contraindications...
A: Yes, it's true. The tests showed that I had recovered completely. Doctors didn't object to me coming back to the courts. We began our preparations, building up my form. After the Miami tournament, I was scheduled to play in Madrid, but decided not to play before Rome, almost a home tournament for me. In the second set of my first match in the prequalies, I could hardly move. I had to play my next match on the next day and couldn't recover. It was a strange feeling.

SS: So what are your plans?
A: I need to have a thorough examination of my body, not in terms of being healthy/unhealthy, but rather in terms of the recovery process and how it works. Through friends I found a medical centre ready to provide me with appropriate services. For the time being, I have to take another break from competitive play.

SS: So your problems on the court seem to be purely physical problems. What about your technique? Has it been affected after such a long break?
A: It's surprising, but not. Could compare it to riding a bike.

SS: Why did you choose Italy and an Italian hospital to have treatment?
A: I chose the hospital Perugia which is a 5-minute drive from my house. I'm quite lucky because this hospital is one of the best in Europe at treating cancer.

SS: The treatment must have been very expensive...
A: I didn't have to pay a penny for it. I had very good US insurance.

SS: I'm unable to picture myself in your place when you heard about it for the first time... What was going on in your head? Did you cry?
A: Believe it or not, but I didn't cry. I'd say that somewhat I felt relieved.

SS: Why?
A: For a few years I didn't know what was going on with my body. I went through innumerable colds and so on. During the season I played on antibiotics and cortisone sprays, and all this in a complete absence of asthma. And then finally I got a clear diagnosis, a clear plan of action with good chances of winning.

SS: What was the worst on the road to recovery?
A: The first seix months in hospital. Chemotherapy. When my hair began to fall out. It was scary.

SS: How did you amuse yourself in those days?
A: I was reading, watching TV...

SS: Did you watch tennis?
A: No, not at all. My friends in Perugia are not tennis people. They were interested in tennis only because I was a tennis player.

http://www.alisakleybanova.ru/en/new...interview.html
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #43
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Veronica, for posting this interview

Hope Alisa gets fitness back. I'm happy to hear that it is not a cancer relaps, but just a need to get her form back.

Alisa, if you read this board, we love you and miss you and hope you'll be back before long
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #44
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Kleybanova Plots Return After Two-Year Cancer Fight
By BENJAMIN SNYDER

Raymond McCrea Jones for The New York Times
Alisa Kleybanova playing at the United States Open in 2009.
Alisa Kleybanova of Russia, a former top 20 player who has won two WTA singles titles, plans to return to competition by the middle of this season, a considerable accomplishment for an athlete who has been fighting cancer for the past two years.

“I’m looking for this year for sure, and actually the first half of the year, I think,” said Kleybanova in a telephone interview from West Palm Beach, Fla., where she is training. ”I don’t know right now if it’s going to be two months, or three months, or four months, but I’m pretty sure that I’ll start playing before the summer.”

Although Kleybanova, 23, said she is “not even training at full power” now and doctors have not released her to play tournaments, she’s confident about her recovery and, eventually, playing a complete tournament schedule. “I’m a fighter, I’ve been a fighter through my whole life, and I’m sure I can do it again. It’s just about working hard, taking your time, and being patient in what you do.”

In 2010, Kleybanova won titles at Kuala Lumpur in February and Seoul in September and achieved her career-best No. 20 ranking in February 2011. As the season wore on, however, fatigue set in and she complained of continual flu-like symptoms.

At the Italian Open in Rome in May 2011, she found herself unable to recover after a first-round win against Varvara Lepchenko of the United States and had trouble moving in a second-round 6-3, 7-5 loss to Israel’s Shahar Peer. She decided to stop playing to seek out an explanation. That’s when doctors diagnosed her with Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

She revealed the diagnosis on the WTA’s Web site on July 15, 2011, her 22nd birthday.

Ten months later after receiving treatment in Perugia, Italy, Kleybanova secured a wild card into the Sony Ericcson Open in Miami in March 2012. Although she won her first test against Sweden’s Johanna Larsson, she fell in the next round to Maria Kirilenko of Russia in straight sets.

Looking back, Kleybanova said that she may not have been ready to compete but that she doesn’t regret playing. “I was really looking forward to being back,” she explained after a training session with her coach, Julian Vespan. “I decided to play Miami because I took a chance and they gave me a wild card.”

Despite the victory in her first comeback match, she said she realized that her body wasn’t ready for a full competition load.

Now ranked No. 548, Kleybanova said she is looking forward to being medically cleared and getting back to competition. She said she was unsure about the type of tournament she’ll enter: a large event with the help of a wild card or a smaller event to help raise her diminished ranking.

“I feel like I need to test myself before I go on a big court because as I said it’s been too much time since I’ve been out,” she said. “I need to be sure, I don’t want to risk my health, and I don’t want to go to the important tournaments, play very tough matches from the beginning and not sure that I can do it.”

Kleybanova, also a former Top 10 doubles player, plans to play both singles and doubles upon her return. “I’m thinking to play singles, that’s the most important part. I’m thinking to play doubles as well, especially in the beginning to get more tournaments to get more matches going on,” she said. “Especially in the beginning, I will need some matches.”

In January, before the Australian Open, Ross Hutchins of Great Britain revealed his own fight with Hodgkin’s lymphoma on Twitter. “Unfortunately I will be away from tennis for a while as I was recently diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma,” he wrote. “I am doing well, very positive with excellent medical support, friends and family around me.”

After hearing of Hutchins’ diagnosis, Kleybanova said she sent him an e-mail at the beginning of February. “He has to know that in case he needs to talk or say something, I’m always there,” she said. “I didn’t want to disturb him too much because, for sure, he has plenty of people around him at the moment saying many different things.”

In an interview with The Telegraph in London, Hutchins called Kleybanova’s success an inspiration. “Everyone says take it easy, but I am a positive person and I will be looking to make it back onto the court as soon as possible,” he said. “I saw that Alisa Kleybanova was back in 10 months. I’d like to play again before the end of the year, maybe be ready for Australia next year.”

Kleybanova said she believes that being an athlete has helped give her the strength to keep going. “I’ve been doing sports since I was so little. I had my goals in life and troubles and problems. You learn how to be a champion since very little,” she said. She began playing professionally at age 14.

Kleybanova said she did not have lofty goals about regaining her ranking quickly. Instead, she said, she’s realistic about what’s next.

“I didn’t play a match yet so it’s too early to think about the ranking, how as far as I can go,” she said. “Nobody knows it until I start playing. I want to take it step by step.”

And, she added, “If I can be a little bit of an example for certain things I will be very happy about it.”

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #45
country flag Bероника

Finally some news

thanks for posting