Articles and Interviews about Alisa - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 18th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #16
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews about Alisa

Alisa's interview after defeating Kim:

March 15, 2010

Alisa Kleybanova

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

A. KLEYBANOVA/K. Clijsters
6-4, 1-6, 7-6

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. So? How do you come back from Love-4 down in that tiebreaker?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Yeah, well, the whole match today was, you know, with many ups and downs for me. Some point I didn't play too good. But, you know, I just said to myself, I got to stay there. That's what I did until the end of the match, even that I was 3-Love down in the final set, 4-Love down in the tiebreaker.
But, you know, in my mind it was just until the last point is played the match is not over. So I just kept fighting for every ball, and finally it worked.

Q. So how does that feel? It's pretty big to beat the US Open champion in a long match like that.
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Yeah, well, recently I played many, many long matches. You know, I won a tournament a week ago, and I didn't think about that I'm playing against such a great player, US Open champion, you know.
It was just another match for me, and I was just playing against the opponent. I didn't think too much about who was on the other side. I think this was the key for me, to stay out there and not think too much, just focus on my game and fight for every point.

Q. What are you most proud of tonight?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Well, that I was able to come back from, you know, some downs in the match. Because obviously against this kind of player, on this high level, it's very difficult.
Because once you give them a chance to go forward, it's very difficult to take the opportunity afterwards, to come back.
So this was something very important that I did today. Because, you know, when you play against some decent player, you can, you know, come back, go forward. You can play a little bit like that.
But here it's quite tough. If you give them a chance to go so far ahead in the final set, like 3-0 or 4-0 in the tiebreak, it's very difficult to pick it up to stay in the match.
So I'm very proud of myself that I've been, you know, really strong at the most important moments, and I could pull it through and finish the match. Because obviously in the tiebreaker after 4-0, every point was tough to win. It was not like, you know, she missed six or seven balls in a row. It was very difficult.
So I'm very proud that I was there and I played very, very clean and focused seven points in a row.

Q. What was your problem with your serve during the second set?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Well, it's quite difficult here, because, you know, as soon as I arrived the balls are flying a little bit, so I've been struggling couple of days already for, you know, because usually I put a lot of power in it.
It's not really working so well here, because, as I said, the balls are flying a bit more. So as I saw in the match, also in the first round and today, that many players been struggling with the serve. Because also Kim was, you know, she did couple double faults and also was struggling with the first serve.
So I just -- you know, but I know that I'm confident in my second serve. So I said, Okay, don't worry about it. If you don't make too many first serves, you just stay there. The second serve is good. It's tough to make a pressure on it.
So I was not really disappointed about it. I was more thinking about the game than, you know, struggling to put the first serve in.

Q. Your next opponent is a totally different type of player than Kim. What kind of match do you expect, and what will you have to do to be successful?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Yeah, well, to be successful, I obviously have to play better than my opponent. (laughter.)
So I will try my best to, you know, recover well from this long match and to go out there tomorrow and try to play as good as I can for that day, you know.
So you never know what's going to happen in the match. Obviously you're right, that it's a completely different player with a different type of tennis. I played against Carla couple of times in the juniors and also in the pro circuit.
But, you know, that was quite a while ago. So, you know, we've been improving a lot since then. So you never know what's going to happen. I'm just going to try to go out there and play my game. Because, as, you know, it's really depending a lot on how I'm going to play in this match, because I think I need to really dictate my game, my power, my speed, and then, you know, we see what happens.

Q. You've beaten big players before, obviously, but it seems like now three sets, longer matches, you're looking stronger at the end than you had previously. Do you feel any difference stamina-wise, strength-wise, at all?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Well, yeah, definitely, because, you know, last year I've been really working a lot on my fitness and my conditioning, because in a couple of years the tennis has really grown up. Everybody is so strong now. It's no more, so, like, easy matches.
In the first rounds you get all the tough opponents, no matter which tournament you play. No matter a Grand Slam or a smaller event, it's always difficult. So you gotta be there like really in good shape to play those long matches, because it's never easy. And.
You have to, you know, go through these three-set matches and be able to go out tomorrow and the next day and, you know, to play again your best tennis.
You don't have much time to recover at all. So it's very important, I think, now to be in good shape, because this is I think also one of the keys to success in this long matches. You know, it's not every day when you go there and you play your best tennis when you feel everything on the court.
But if you're physically strong, you know that mentally you can just keep fighting, fighting, running through every ball. Then you can, you know, even if you're not playing your best, you can go with the physical conditioning, not just like, you know, playing unbelievable balls and making winners every second shot.
Sometimes it doesn't work. And if you are strong, if you're mentally there, you can just keep fighting and still pull out the matches like that.

Q. What does this win mean for your ambition? Did you set a goal specific for this year for the ranking?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Well, I don't think too much about the ranking, you know. I know that the more I win, more higher I'm going to move in the ranking. But for me, of course, by the end of the year I would like to reach the top 20. I mean, I had this goal also for last year, but it was quite difficult to achieve it.
So I said, Okay, it's good already that I was able to stay in the top 30, not to lose my position there, because it was not easy.
And this year, if I can, I would like to move forward. You know, one of my goals was to win an event, and I'm very happy that I did it because this really brought me a lot of confidence. This is something that, you know, I made another step forward.
It's like you play tournaments, you win against top 10 players, but, you know, once you really win a tournament, you have some feeling that, okay, the week finished out the way it should by winning the last match. This is something that really brought me confidence into my game.
So in this tournament, it's a Masters, it's the mandatory big event, and I really came here to try to win as many matches as I can. I have confidence from my last winning tournament and I feel well on the court, and, you know, I'm really full of energy to keep fighting even if I'm not playing my best tennis, but just, you know, staying out there I really enjoy.
And I'm happy that this match was tough, because more tough matches you win, more confidence you get. Sometimes, you know, easy matches don't really help you that much. So, you know, so far I'm enjoying a lot playing here, so I hope to keep going.

Q. It was I think at 5-6; you were two points from losing at 30-All, and you hit that dropshot. Is that a bit of a chance or did you think about it or why did you play that shot at that point?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Well, you know, sometimes when you're so much into the points, into the match, you do some things that you don't even think about, you know. I did that dropshot, and afterwards, I was like, What a great shot I did, you know. (laughter.) I didn't really prepare it that I'm going to do dropshot, because obviously I didn't make too many successful dropshots today.
So this is important thing, to be clear, you know, when you're playing these important points. I mean, everybody stressed at the end of the match. Everybody felt this tension. You know, it's really close to finish, two points away for Kim. So, you know, it's a lot of tension for all of us.
But I was happy that I was able to be clear on the court without agitated, because that's why I could make it. If I was trying to keep the ball in the court, you know, to play more careful, it doesn't work against these players.
There, in important points you have to risk. You have to do something different, and then, you know, whatever happens, if you are good enough, you can risk and you can win the points without missing it.
So I just -- I don't know. I mean, I didn't really prepare it too much. It just came up in the right moment. (Smiling.)

Q. Do you feel like you're mostly playing from instinct, or are you thinking through a lot of the points?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Depends. Because thinking all the time it's really, for me, it's impossible. Many shots I'm doing when it's just, you know, it comes at the last moment and you just feel to place it there and that's it. You don't know why it comes to play in certain place, but you just feel like this.
But of course, in general, you just try to play with tactics. You try to see what's happening in the court, to look where is the opponent, where is the ball, where is more comfortable to hit.
But when you play these long matches, tough matches against the players who run really well and play fast, many times you don't have time, much time to think where to play the ball. You follow your instinct.
Especially when you have tension, when it's important point, when everything happens fast, you don't have too much time to make a decision. Sometimes thinking too much really makes you more tense, so you just -- certain moments, you just have to relax and just leave it, you know, leave it for instinct and play as you feel, not think too much where to put the ball.

Q. Back in Australia, you were close beating Justine Henin.
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Yeah.

Q. She also made a comeback, but did you learn something from that match for now beating Clijsters?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Well, I didn't really think about, you know, that I didn't win against Justine and today I play against Kim. They are completely different players for me, and I've been -- you know, I think I've improved a little bit since that match with Justine, because, you know, I wasn't able to finish it the way I should.
I wasn't set up, and I think it was 3-1 in the second set, 4-1. It was quite disappointing that I didn't win that match. But, of course, every time when you lose or win, you try to learn something from the match. If you did some mistakes, you try next time not to repeat them.
So, you know, of course I was disappointed that I didn't finish it as strong as I should. So today I'm happy that at the important moments when I was up I was able to finish the match, you know, without losing match points, coming back and then fighting again.
When I have a chance, I took it. So this was the important thing that I didn't do it, you know, at the important moment with Justine in the second set.
So this was something that I did different today.

End of FastScripts

Old Mar 21st, 2010, 12:17 PM   #17
country flag Bероника

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute

Alisa Kleybanova Interview March 18th

J. JANKOVIC/A. Kleybanova 6-4, 6-4

Q. Tournament’s over, but it’s been a great run. What have you taking from this experience to get into the quarterfinals?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Well, you know, I’m really happy that I got so far this week. It’s been really a long, tough matches for me. I think the most important is that I’ve been really fighting a lot, and I played some good matches here. It’s always experience.
The more you stay out there playing matches, competing, you definitely get more experience, more confidence. So I think to have so many matches already during of the beginning of the year, it’s very good.
If I can keep up like that, you know, without injuries, and if I can keep up with this tennis, with this attitude, with this, you know, like fighting spirit, I think I can really have some good results.
I’m looking quite positive for the next tournaments.

Q. Over the last couple of months, your ranking has been rising steadily. Is there one thing that you can kind of, pinpoint, that’s been the cause of that? Is it your fitness? Your increased foot speed? What do you think has been the main ingredient?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Well, it’s all together. Because more you practice, more you work hard, more stronger you get, it’s more mentally stronger you get because you feel more confidence in the court. You feel like you can do more.
Once you start playing matches and you start winning tough matches, you feel better, obviously. You prove to yourself that you can do — you can stay out there. You can fight, you can run, you can, you know, do many things.
And, of course, winning is helping you to believe even more. So I think this is like — it’s just when everything comes pretty much together.

Q. The Russians speak very good English, and the people from the United States don’t speak good Russian. Do you have a tutor? Do the Russian tennis players have a tutor?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Well, I think it’s because wherever we go out from Russia, we speak English. So, you know, obviously the people from States, when they travel, they speak always English. They don’t have to speak Russian. I think that’s why, you know.
When you travel for more than 10 years and you have to talk English all the time, you know, sometimes we have problems speaking Russian when we’re back home. We start talking with accent.
You know, we’re so used to speak English, especially when you have so many tournaments in the States. You have to stay couple months of the year here. Well, I guess we practice a lot of English.

Q. Do you and Pavlyuchenkova feel like you’re the younger generation than maybe trying to take over from the older generation of Russians? Do you feel a bond with her at all?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Well, we’re good friends. We practice together sometimes, we’ve been in the Fed Cup team together.
I’m happy that we’re actually together coming up, because, you know, there are so many good Russians still on top of us and not so many young ones coming. You know, they are still there, the elite group, and I’m happy that she’s the one to join me to go forward, because it’s always better to have more from our country, you know.
Of course we compete against each other, you know. Obviously we have a competition between us when you have so many Russian players. You always want to be better than the others.
But it’s nice to feel something in the back, you know, with someone that it’s also good and you can go forward in a tournaments. And also, I mean, she’s a great player. She’s a very nice person, as well. She’s a nice girl.
You know, I’m really happy that we can be there together.

Q. Has any of the older generations of Russians, any one of them, been particularly helpful to you?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Well, I mean, helpful in which sense? Like helping me to play better? No. (laughter.)
But, you know, I mean, I’m really good friends with Svetlana, with Elena Dementieva, couple other girls. But it’s a lot of competition. It’s difficult to be like all of us and being close friends together, because, you know, we all — one is doing better than the other one in the tournaments, you know. It’s always difficult when you have so many good players from one country.
But anyways, I think more stronger we are, more players are strong from our country, it’s more difficult for the others, because obviously they have a lot of pressure from our side. All the girls from our country right now are playing so strong.
So, you know, it’s whatever. If you’re from Russia, when you go out on the court, everybody’s a bit like, you know, expecting something great from you.
So I think it’s better if we have more young players coming up which can compete against the top level.

Q. Your game has been called unorthodox by Tracy Austin, but very successful for you. What do you have to say about that?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Well, you know, I know that. I’ve been told couple times already during this week that my game is a bit strange, you know, more strange than the others.
Well, you know, I don’t really try to make it so different. It’s just the way I am, you know.
I’ve been playing like this, with this style, for many, many years since I’m a junior. I’m working now with my coach Julian Vespan since already almost five years. He just saw something in me that he decide we’re not going to change, we just going to keep going.
If it’s successful and it’s good, if this style is matching me how I am physically and mentally, we just gonna keep improving it, and make, you know, my game, my style, more, you know, offensive. And some strange parts of my game, to make it the strongest part, you know, to bring a lot of difficulty to the others.
So, you know, I would say that I accept that it’s different than the others, but I enjoy. Because, you know, if you try to do something, you know, if you try to change it, if you try to do it, you know, more like the others or put something perfect, it’s not you anymore.
So once you’re just yourself on the court and it’s bringing you to success, you can win like this, you just have to be out there and be yourself, you know.
I know that sometimes people say, you know, how does she hit certain shot with this technique? It’s impossible to put in the court. But if you feel good with it and you make it work better than the others, why do you have to change, you know? You just have to keep going, keep improving, and make it your, you know, your weapons.

Q. I want to ask you about your English still. I’m very envious of you, because my English is not good enough, as you can tell. So I was wondering, your English skill, if you can speak good English, do you think you can feel very comfortable on the tour in terms of like confidence level if you can speak good English, you can be very comfortable on the tour and you can make friends?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: Yeah. Well, it’s important if you can speak well fluently, because, you know, it’s not just being out on the court and playing tennis all day long. You have to talk. You have to communicate a lot. Once you’re out from the court, you have to communicate somehow.
It’s not just hitting the balls there. It’s many, many hours in the day we have to talk to our friends, to the press, to the many — you know, to the sponsors, to many people. I mean, even to the fans you have to talk.
We are doing blogs; we are doing many things outside from the court. It’s important, because more — you know, better you speak, more relaxed you feel, you can express yourself better. And of course you feel much better when the people can understand really well what you want to say.
Because if you have troubles talking, it’s difficult, because sometimes we want to say something and you don’t find good words for that.
But many years traveling helped that, of course. But I think most of the players, like me, they’ve been starting English before starting to go on tour, because it’s difficult. If you don’t talk at all, it’s tough to pick it up so quickly.
So, you know, all of us, we went to school. Maybe some players for sure took some private lessons. But then when you have some base and you start traveling, it’s obviously much easier to pick up everything. A lot of girls on tour speak very well.
We try to help each other sometimes, especially from one country. You know, we always support. So, you know, more we speak English, more — of course much better we feel on the tour. I mean, we can communicate each other. It’s much easier.

Q. Could you explain, you are the only one on the tour who turns the head down when you hit the shot, doesn’t matter forehand, backhand, or serve. Why do you do that?
ALISA KLEYBANOVA: You’re asking me why do I that? My coach is asking for five years already why I do that? He has stopped because there is no answer to that. (laughter.)
I mean, my mother was my coach for almost 10 years before I started to work with Julian. I mean, obviously in 10 years she tried to change it, but it was impossible, I guess, because I still keep doing that. I don’t even think about it.
When I go on the court, I just see the ball, I just see my opponent, and I see the court. That’s the most important things.
I know that my head is doing many strange things during the match when I play. But sometimes it’s unhelpful, I accept; but sometimes it works, so I don’t know. I mean, it’s really tough. It’s just — it’s coming by itself, and that’s probably something — you know, one of the things when you do on the court not technically, it’s just how you feel, you know.
If you feel in certain movement to put the ball in the spot, in the right spot, you have to do that movement, you do it, you know.
It’s just, you know, many times when I play I follow the intuition, I follow the feelings. I don’t follow the perfect technique.
So, you know, if it’s working, then I go for it.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 02:49 PM   #18
country flag Bероника

a couple of interviews (in russian):

http://www.championat.ru/tennis/_wta/article-54562.html

http://www.championat.ru/tennis/_wta/article-54570.html
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #19
country flag Bероника

Kleybanova grabs spotlight at French Open

PARIS: After ousting former champion Ana Ivanovic at the French Open, Alisa Kleybanova wasn't going to let anyone spoil the moment.

The easy 6-3, 6-0 win over Ivanovic on Thursday propelled Kleybanova into the third round for the first time at Roland Garros, though she's gone one round better at 2008 Wimbledon and the 2009 Australian Open.

At the news conference, rushed to explain the decline of Ivanovic, who won the French Open and reached No. 1 in 2008 and hasn't achieved much else since, Kleybanova was as quick to turn the attention back on her deserving 20-year-old self.

"You know, I also think it's difficult to play against me," she said. "I'm a powerful player, with fast balls. And I took my opportunities all the time today. She's a tough opponent to play against. But when I go on court, I'm not thinking about my opponent's problems."

Kleybanova has contributed to Ivanovic's slide by beating the Serb three times in their four matchups, including in the Fed Cup for Russia in February.

"Of course, when I play against someone very strong and powerful, I try to give her as less time as possible," Kleybanova said. "For me, it was very important to make her feel uncomfortable with the balls, and to take out her timing. I was just focusing on what I was doing. It was the key today."

Kleybanova, coached by her mother in Moscow until she was 13, cracked the top 10 rankings in February then won her first career title in Kuala Lumpur, beating compatriot and two-time Grand Slam finalist Elena Dementieva in the final.

But a foot injury sidelined her in April and she came into the French Open seeded 28th with realistic hopes.

"I have different goals. To stay No. 28 in the world and to be at No. 1 straight away is quite difficult to achieve," she said. "I would say I'm trying to reach one goal at a time. For the moment, I want to focus on the tournament. For this year, I will really try to get into the top 20 and to stay in there."

As for Ivanovic, Kleybanova was sympathetic. "She's trying to come back, trying to build up her game again. It's gonna take a long time," she said. "(Tennis) is very difficult for everybody, especially when you have been No. 1 and won a Grand Slam. You have pressure, all the world is looking up to you. It's very difficult but I'm pretty sure she will keep going. Everybody has some tough times during a career. It's impossible to always be at the top, you have ups and downs."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...ow/5983290.cms
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #20
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

STANFORD, California—Tonight’s heavily anticipated opening night at the Bank of the West Classic is enticing for many reasons. Ana Ivanovic has amassed a huge following over the last few years, and fans will no doubt arrive in droves to see if she can play herself into top form. But on the other side of the net, a less heralded but very dangerous competitor will be waiting.
Alisa Kleybanova is well within striking distance of her career high ranking of No 22, and she’s feeling confident in her abilities, after securing her first WTA Tour title in Kuala Lumpur in February. She may not be precisely where she wants to be yet, but at twenty-one, the powerful Russian believes the rewards will come if the work gets done.
All of that gave her reason to smile as we had a nice chat in the players’ lounge on Sunday afternoon.
OTB: Happy birthday [Alisa turned 21 on July 15th]. I heard you went and did some celebrating in Italy. How was that?
Alisa Kleybanova: Thank you. I practice in Italy sometimes, so I just happened to have a birthday there. It was one of the best birthday parties that I’ve ever had. It was really nice.
OTB: Did you have some of the chocolates from Perugia?
Alisa Kleybanova: Of course, during the birthday, we had everything.
OTB: Did you bring some with you?
Alisa Kleybanova: No, I didn’t bring anything with me. They would melt, it’s too hot. It’s 45 degrees in Italy now. It was impossible to bring any chocolates here (laughing).
OTB: Are you happy to be in the States, and do you enjoy this American hard court swing?
Alisa Kleybanova: Well it’s a bit difficult in the beginning because until now I was practicing on the clay courts. I didn’t want to rush too much to go onto the hard courts because we have a really long season. Until next clay court season we have all the tournaments – outside, indoors, everything – on hard so I have enough time to get used to it.
But anyway, I like to play tournaments in the States; it’s really nice. It’s just a bit long series now with six tournaments. It’s not easy.
OTB: It’s tough on the body. Well, can you take a few off?
Alisa Kleybanova: Well, it’s the third time that I’m doing it, so you know, past two times went pretty well – it all depends on the results, if you go forward to the end of the tournament or you lose first or second round. It depends on many, many things and you can adjust your schedule through all of this.
OTB: You have Ivanovic in the first round. Do you start to practice with her in mind or do you just worry about your own game?
Alisa Kleybanova: I don’t worry about my opponent so much, but of course a little bit you have to adjust when you know who you have to play. But for me now I just want to enjoy and try to get used to the courts, because for the moment I am just trying to feel the surface. I am not worried too much about who I am going to play. It’s my first tournament playing on a hard court and I just want to enjoy and see how it goes and not put any pressure on myself. For me, the most important thing is just to stay healthy and pick up my game step by step.
OTB: I like your philosophy. It’s a long term philosophy.
Alisa Kleybanova: Yes, well, this probably helps me. If you play every tournament like it’s the last tournament in your life it’s difficult to stay all year through and still enjoy.
OTB: Which was more exciting, winning the first pro tournament you entered when you were 14, or winning your maiden WTA title in Kuala Lumpur earlier this year?
Alisa Kleybanova: This last title in Kuala Lumpur. It was definitely not the easiest tournament that I played. I had many three set matches and the weather conditions were really tough, so I’m really happy that I was able to stay there until the end of week and especially to beat Elena [Dementieva] in the final because she’s such a great player. For me it’s a big achievement. This win in Kuala Lumpur really gave me some positive emotions. I’m not thinking about it anymore, because you have to keep going, but there is something deep in the heart that stays with me, because it’s the first one.
OTB: If you win a Grand Slam you can think about that for a while.
Alisa Kleybanova: Yes, definitely (laughing). I think to start with Kuala Lumpur is not bad though.
OTB: You said you’d prefer an Olympic Medal over a Grand Slam. What are your reasons for that?
Alisa Kleybanova: I don’t know, maybe it’s because of my country. But for me to win the Olympic Games is something special. It’s a sporting event for everybody in the world. If you say Olympic Games there isn’t one person in the world that doesn’t know it. The Olympic Games mean to me something completely different. Of course I would like to win a Grand Slam, but there is something apart, something emotional about it.
But with our country where we have so many good tennis players it is not even easy to get to play in the Games. So, first achievement would be to get on the Olympic team.
OTB: Well, you’re a great doubles player, there might be room there.
Alisa Kleybanova: (laughing) Yes, mixed doubles, doubles. I would really prefer to play the singles.
OTB: There have been a lot of great Russian performances at the Olympic games – what is your favorite of them?
Alisa Kleybanova: One of my favorite figure skaters is Alexei Yagudin. I watched his videos and I watched the Olympic performance in Salt Lake. When I saw the emotion when he got the gold medal, it was completely, I mean I was close to crying. It’s something that stays with you all your life.
OTB: It’s emotional.
Alisa Kleybanova: For me it’s really emotional. It’s something that’s completely special.
OTB: Speaking of emotions, did you cry when Francesca Schiavone won the French Open?
Alisa Kleybanova: I wasn’t there and I didn’t see, so it’s different when you are getting text messages. I was really, really happy for her because the last couple of months we played doubles together, so I could see how she is working and how she is thinking and how bad she wants it. Before I always knew that she’s a great player, but I never saw her so close, as my doubles partner and as a friend. To win a Grand Slam is really something that she deserved because she worked for it and I’m happy that she got that chance – and she used that chance, totally.
OTB: Does it give you a feeling that it can happen to you too?
Alisa Kleybanova: The only thing is that when you have your chance you have to take it.
OTB: In my neighborhood there is a Russian market and I never know what to order. Can you help me with that?
Alisa Kleybanova: Honestly, I like Russian food, but when I go abroad I never go to the Russian stores. In general it’s tough to say. Always when I am home I know exactly the best shops, the best stores, the food which is very fresh, but when I see the Russian supermarkets in America or Australia it’s a bit strange, because Russia is really far. Expecting that the things that they sell there and are very good quality, I would think about it.
California is a beautiful state and you really have a lot of possibilities to eat great meat and great vegetables because the climate here is so good that there are a lot of fresh things growing here, not like in Russia where it’s six months in a year and nothing is growing really (laughing).
OTB: Thanks so much, I’ll let you go because I’m sure you have lot of things to do.
Alisa Kleybanova: It was a pleasure.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #21
country flag Bероника

thanks,very interesting read,really

I hope her last result is only indicating that she's still trying to adapt to the hard courts as she says in the interview.And of course I hope she can one say fulfill her olympic dream.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 08:16 PM   #22
country flag Bероника

SAN DIEGO, CA, USA - The first round of the Mercury Insurance Open kicked off on Monday and the drama didn't take long to arrive, as Alisa Kleybanova and Aravane Rezai duked it out in a see-saw three-setter on Stadium.

It was tough to predict the outcome of their match-up from the career head-to-head, which Kleybanova led just barely, 3-2. But that may have set the tone in the end, as the No.28-ranked Russian regrouped after squandering a match point at 62 54 and eventually closed out the No.18-ranked Rezai, 62 57 63.

Kleybanova punctuated the victory with her fourth ace of the day.

"I played very well in the first set and kept going pretty well in the second, but I wasn't aggressive enough at the end of it, so Aravane had more time to set up her strokes," Kleybanova commented afterwards. "She is playing great tennis when she can dictate the game, but in the third set I tried my best to stay in it and put pressure on every point, and I'm happy it worked well."

Next up for Kleybanova will be No.1 seed Jelena Jankovic, who received a first round bye. Kleybanova is actually tied in her head-to-head with Jankovic, 2-2, winning both of their 2009 meetings (Jankovic has won both 2010 meetings).
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #23
country flag Bероника

At night, Alisa Kleybanova continued her strong results against Jelena Jankovic, pulling off a remarkable first set comeback and eventually cruising to victory over the No.1 seed, 75 62. Jankovic led 4-0 in the first set and held three set points at 5-3 but just couldn't seal the deal against Kleybanova, who won eight straight games to make 3-5 turn into 75 40. The Russian didn't look back and improved to 3-2 lifetime in her head-to-head against Jankovic.

"I kept trying to find the key to the match. After the first few games I picked up the pace," Kleybanova said. "I figured I would see what happens, and even better if I won the first set. My job today was to play, fight and win."
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #24
country flag Bероника

Cincinnati: Alisa Falls

Alisa lost her second round match against Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland 6-4, 6-2 on a rainy Wednesday. The match lasted one hour and 18 minutes.

The 21-year-old Russian was broken once in the first set and twice in the second. She didn’t have any break point chances in the match. Alisa fell to 21-17 on the season with this loss.

Alisa will next play the Rogers Cup in Montreal which begins next week.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #25
country flag Bероника

Kleybanova Cruises In Korea

SEOUL, South Korea - World No.28 Alisa Kleybanova made an impressive start to her Hansol Korea Open campaign on Monday afternoon, easing past Chang Kai-Chen in an hour and 24 minutes on Centre Court, 62 63.

Kleybanova, the No.5 seed at the International-level event, lost her serve three times against the talented Taiwanese but broke her opponent six times and overall was strong on serve, finishing off with her fourth ace of the match.

This is Kleybanova's second time playing in Seoul. She made the quarterfinals last year and almost made the semifinals, leading Kimiko Date Krumm, 64 52, with match point at 64 53; but she fell to the eventual champion, 46 76(4) 63.

Next for Kleybanova will be Ksenia Pervak, who rallied from 1-5 in the second set - and saved set point at 2-5 - to beat Chan Yung-Jan in straights, 64 75.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #26
country flag Bероника

Kleybanova, the No.5 seed, took just a little longer - 68 minutes - to win her match against Ekaterina Makarova, 61 62. Kleybanova also broke serve five times for the victory over her good friend and frequent doubles partner.

"I've played Ekaterina many times. We've known each other since the juniors," Kleybanova said. "She definitely wasn't playing her best, so it was quite an easy win for me. But I know she's a great player. I'm just happy I won."
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #27
country flag Bероника

Interview: Alisa, modern version of Lindsay Davenport

Q1. Can you briefly comment on your game today?
Alisa: Today wasnít a very tough match, I mean, the score shows it. I played against Ekaterina before many times because we know each other since juniors. We always had tough matches against each other. But probably today she wasnít playing her best definitely. So it was quite an easy win for me. But I know that sheís a great player. Iím not really looking seriously at this match. Iím just happy that I won it. Iím looking forward to my next matches

Q2. You ended your season last year no. 26, and youíre currently no. 28. What would be your goal for the rest of the season?
Alisa: My goal for the rest of the season is definitely to try to finish better than last year. If I can make it into top twenty, this is really gonna be a big achievement. Because itís the second year that Iím finishing in top 30. I really wish that I can make a step forward to go into top twenty

Q3. Many critics say that your style is modern version of Lindsay Davenport. How does it affect your goal setting, and does it motivate you?
Alisa: I get that many times, recently. Itís a huge compliment for me. And Iíve heard it already couple of times during this year. I mean, sheís a great player. I think itís unbelievable feeling to be compared to someone like that. For me, I know this is my power of my game. This just helps me to improve strong parts and weaker parts and build up the whole picture of my game. You canít really change completely the way how you are naturally. So, you have to look forward and try to realize what are your strongest parts, and you have to work on it to improve and to win more matches and to beat other players. Itís very difficult right now. Tennis is very strong, and the level is very strong not just at the top players, also the rest of the players. So every match is tough it really helps me that I know exactly how I am and I can work in the right direction.

Q4. Itís your second visit to Korea. What is your impression of Korea?
Alisa: Well, my impression of the whole country for the moment is just the hotel and the tournament site. So itís difficult to speak about the whole country. Even if itís my second time here I didnít see anything except the hotel, airport, and tennis court. But so far, Iím happy seeing the tennis courts because Iím still playing. I really donít mind coming each year to the country not seeing the country but playing so well, winning and going forward (laugh). Anyway, itís the same thing for tennis. The most important things are hotel and tournament site because we travel all year. Thatís pretty much most things that we see, first of all. Afterwards, if we have some free time we go to the city, but if you keep playing, you need to feel great on the site because if you feel comfortable it helps you to play better. Itís my second time here and I have enjoyed so far. There are many courts, itís a nice tennis center, great center court - I already played a couple of matches here. The hotelís very nice, saw lots of restaurants and food. Everything is very comfortable. First impression is that most important things we need for our job is very good. Afterwards I hope I have some free time to visit the city but for the moment Iím feeling well here. Thatís actually the reason why I came here again.

3:30pm Fri, Sep 24, 2010

Dictation by Shirley Hwang, KTA Press
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #28
country flag Bероника

SEOUL, South Korea - Alisa Kleybanova survived a marathon first set then cruised through the second set and into the final of the Hansol Korea Open, beating Agnes Szavay for a shot at her second career title, 63 62.

Kleybanova, the No.5 seed, needed six deuces to hold her serve in the opening game, a taste of things to come in the 62-minute first set. But she cruised past the No.8-seeded Szavay handily in a routine 37-minute second set.

"In the first set, especially at the beginning of the set for a couple of games, we had many deuces and advantages. It was tough, really tough," Kleybanova said. "I wasn't thinking about winning or losing; I just tried to focus on each point."

This will be Kleybanova's second career final. She won her only previous final, at another Asian hardcourt event earlier this year in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

"I really hope it's going to be another title tomorrow, but I don't want to think about it too much," Kleybanova said. "I'm just playing match by match. I'm going to do everything to prepare my best. Tomorrow is another day."

Zakopalova leads Kleybanova in their head-to-head, 1-0, winning in the qualifying rounds of Paris [Indoors] two years ago. That was early on in the rise of Kleybanova, however, as she wasn't even ranked in the Top 100 at the time.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #29
country flag Bероника

Alisa: Seoul Survivor

SEOUL, South Korea - Four of the world's Top 25 travelled to Seoul, but the last woman standing was none of them. World No.28 Alisa Kleybanova ended the week on top, winning her second career title at the Hansol Korea Open.

Kleybanova, seeded No.5, was given a tough test in the second round by Ksenia Pervak, losing the first set in the longest tie-break of the year, 15-13; but after losing that tie-break Kleybanova seemed like a woman on a mission, losing just 15 games in the next eight sets she played, dusting off the week with a 61 63 championship drubbing of Klara Zakopalova.

"Before coming here I wasn't thinking about winning the title because I haven't been playing so well recently," Kleybanova said. "Day by day, match by match, I was feeling better about my game; towards the end of the tournament I was fighting to win the title. I'm really happy that I made it in the end."

Kleybanova improved to 2-0 in career finals, having won her only previous final, at another Asian hardcourt tournament in Kuala Lumpur in February.

"The first one is always special, but the second one gives me confidence and proves the first one wasn't a lucky one," Kleybanova added. "I deserved it, and I'm good enough to win another one. This definitely helps me towards getting into the Top 20. I know not straight away, but it gives me the belief."

Zakopalova fell to 2-9 in career finals, and 0-2 this year. She was runner-up to Caroline Wozniacki in Copenhagen earlier in the summer.

"Alisa was playing very well today," Zakopalova said afterwards. "I was fighting and tried my best, but it was not enough against her. The Korean fans were supporting me so much all week though, and I have to thank them."
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #30
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

MARCH 14- Alisa Kleybanova is a big fan of historical fiction and is currently reading one about the Romantic Era. On Tuesday, the Russian will face Caroline Wozniacki in the fourth round, a good opportunity for her to show off her inner Tchaikovsky and unravel Wozniacki’s more sensible game with a dramatic waltz.
As Kleybanova says, Wozniacki is the mark of consistency, a player who cannot just be simply hit through or willed off the court. She’s a competitor who goes deep time and time again because she plays a very physical brand of yellowball and anyone who wants to beat her knows that they absolutely must be willing to commit to long rallies and be willing to accept the fact that it might take seven fine strokes per rally to take her out.

Kleybanova is 0-2 against Wozniacki, but both those matches were played in 2009 on clay and grass. The results do matter to some degree, but not that much as both are significantly better players now. Kleybanova showed that by besting Flavia Pennetta for the first time 6-3,6-4, and Wozniacki did the same by winning her first match in four tries against Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez in a 6-1, 6-3 victory.

While Kleybanova doesn’t look like the fittest player on tour, she has been doing a fair amount of work off court and she’s also trying to play more patiently. She’s willing to rally until she can get a good ball to take a rip at, rather than just a swinging away at everything. Pennetta is a B-plus version of Woznaciki so that win was a goof sign She says she’s willing her body to be more aerobic.

Mentally you have to believe,” the 21-year-old Kleybanova said. “Sometimes you think you are tired but your body is really ready to do it. It’s difficult to do it straight away, but I think I’m improving on it.
The 20 year-old Wozniacki mentioned too that her game has matured to the point where she can think her past the tricky Martinez and not be bothered by trick shots, let alone serve and volleys.
It’s a pretty straightforward match for the Dane against Kleybanova, who is more powerful than she is but nowhere near as fleet or really -- despite the fact that the Russian is a year older -- experienced. Kleybanova admits that she has a risky game and now accepts that she’s an up and down player. She doesn’t want her results to constantly be full of peaks and valleys, but in order to do that, she has to play more sturdy defense and commit a bit more to the grind.

Wozniacki has, but has yet to commit to risk taking. But what her style has brought her is the top ranking – legitimate to some and not to others – because she almost never lets down. Yes, she is still a little scared against the more experienced players (i.e. Clijsters, Zvonareva, Li) but she squeezes the margins of the courts with her intense movement and it;s very difficult to completely take her out of her comfort zone. She almost never gets crushed.

Kleybanova says she become better at accepting that she’s not going to win every time and as a result she feels more at ease on court. While that isn’t showing week to week in her results yet, she seems pretty happy.

Beating Wozniacki would be a big step up for her because this is the year that she's supposed to take a leap into the top 10. She better than just a top 25 player, but if she can’t keep her head in every match than she may stay outside of the top 20. But it sounds like she believes she has the recipe to upset Wozniacki.

“She No. 1 and very tough and confident but that puts pressure on her and not on me,” Kleybanova said. “She knows that unless someone hits a lot of winners that she’ll get every ball back. She consistently puts pressure on other players. I see other players before the match that mentally they are thinking ‘What can I do against her, she doesn’t miss and runs for everything and they’re no chance I can win.’ That’s the wrong thing to do because everybody is beatable. If you really believe and try to find a way, you can do it. It’s a matter of making adjustments.”
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote