Who will end this decade with the most slams? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who will win the most slams in the 10s?

Serena Williams 43 69.35%
Maria Sharapova 4 6.45%
Victoria Azarenka 2 3.23%
Petra Kvitova 7 11.29%
Others (please specify) 6 9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 9th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #1
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Who will end this decade with the most slams?

I can't believe we're half way through the decade in slams.

Current Leaders

Serena Williams - 7
Maria Sharapova - 2
Petra Kvitova - 2
Victoria Azarenka - 2
Na Li - 2
Kim Clijsters - 2

Past Decades

20s - Wills and Lenglen (11)*
30s - Wills (8)
40s - Betz and Osborne (5)
50s - Connolly (9)
60s - Court (16)
70s - Evert (9)
80s - Navratilova (15)
90s - Graf (14)**
00s - S.Williams (10)
10s - ?

* Officially Lenglen only won 7. The four French closed Championships are not recognised. But seeing as she had no competition on clay and as she was as dominant in the international equivalent of that tournament, I'll recognize them and give her 11 total. In the grand scheme of things, this was her decade anyway.
** Monica Seles led by 8-3 slams over her closest rival Graf after the first third of the decade before the stabbing incident took her out of the game for the next third of the decade. She was never the same player that began the decade again.

? Serena Williams has an opportunity to become the first player to lead two decades by herself. Her closest rivals appear to be only able to dominate their peers in single slams. If a new rival were to arise in the second half of the decade, she'll have to be as dominant as Serena and the same time Serena must fade from slam contention very quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 9th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #2
country flag TennisPhan

TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future
Re: Who will end this decade with the most slams?

You should have made the poll about the 2nd most slams cause that´s a battle between 4 players and is interesting. #1 is obvious.
TennisPhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 11:18 AM   #3
country flag TennisPhan

TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future

Interesting thread tho. I wonder if Serena can win more slams in her 2nd decade..
10/7 now or 11/7 if we count UO 99
TennisPhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #4
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Serena unless a now still relatively unknown youngster stands up very soon to reveal herself as the next Court, Evert, Navratilova, Graf, Seles or Serena. Since that is very unlikely it's almost certain to be Serena.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #5
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

Urszula Radwanska.
Hugues Daniel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #6
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post

* Officially Lenglen only won 7. The four French closed Championships are not recognised.
So that would make 8. Wimbledon 1919-1923 + 1925 and FO 1925-1926 = 8.
Hugues Daniel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #7
country flag legalise#
17 and counting!

legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future

Serena. Especially if she adds at least another couple to her list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
If a new rival were to arise in the second half of the decade, she'll have to be as dominant as Serena and the same time Serena must fade from slam contention very quickly.
Agreed. I don't see it happening though, as a debutante would likely need to win 10 slams in four seasons, starting next year.
If someone was to catch her hypothetically, it wouldn't be any of the other players in the poll anyway.

Sharapova - time not on her side, taking into account her age and biennial going rate of slam titles. Furthermore she is useless outside RG, and would need a good draw to be in contention for the AO.

Kvitova - too inconsistent. The last couple of seasons have cost her in this contest. Even a Wimbledon every year (like that's happening anyway) wouldn't be enough.

Azarenka - Depends on her injuries. Looked like becoming the dominant interregnal hard-courter, but it's now looking like she won't get there.
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #8
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Since Serena already has more GS titles than most girls win in their WHOLE careers, I think it's pretty much forgone conclusion that she'll lead this decade too in majors won. Mindboggling!
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #9
country flag JustPetko

JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute

Diyas.

TT Singles: (CH: #40) W ITF Biella'10, W ITF Nantes'10, W ITF Dubai'12 | TT Doubles: (CH: #1) ITF Nantes'10, ITF Bucharest'10, Marbella'11, Washington'11, Linz'11, YEC'11, ITF Opole'11, Pattaya'12, Tashkent'12, ITF Pune'12, Memphis'13, Carlsbad'13, Marrakesh'14, Washington'14 | Suicide: (CH: #6) W Luxembourg'12, W Luxembourg'13, F Marbella'11, F Quebec'11, F US Open'11 | Tipping: (CH: #2) W YEC'11, W Acapulco'13, W Brisbane'14, W RG'14, F Brussels'11, F Stanford'11
JustPetko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #10
country flag wolf79

wolf79 is a name known to all wolf79 is a name known to all wolf79 is a name known to all wolf79 is a name known to all wolf79 is a name known to all wolf79 is a name known to all wolf79 is a name known to all wolf79 is a name known to all wolf79 is a name known to all wolf79 is a name known to all wolf79 is a name known to all

of course i'm biased as hell, but i'll hand it to vika. as for now she seems to be the only one who's driven enough to step up her game in the crucial moments in those slams and she is still young enough to compete at highest level for another 5 years , yet her body let's her down to often and she suffers injuries time and time again.
as for the youngsters: bouchard may become a real threat, as she shares the same mindset with vika. and maybe bencic if she would be able to mature more quickly...

dastarded by Darth Vika the Sith Princess of Unholy Fuckery

wolf79 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #11
country flag larryd

larryd is a splendid one to behold larryd is a splendid one to behold larryd is a splendid one to behold larryd is a splendid one to behold larryd is a splendid one to behold larryd is a splendid one to behold larryd is a splendid one to behold larryd is a splendid one to behold larryd is a splendid one to behold larryd is a splendid one to behold larryd is a splendid one to behold

You guys keep forgetting that Serena is 33! This year showed that it's getting more and more difficult for her to stay healthy and focused for 7 matches in 2 weeks. I think she'll probably win just one more Slam from now until her retirement, which is very likely in 2016.
I think she will finish the decade in second place with 8.
I also think Kvitova's total will be 5 (probably 4 Wimbledon and 1 other Slam, or simply 5 Wimbledon), Vika's total could be around 5 or 6 if she stays healthy and doesn't end up like Tracy Austin.
Who will finish in first place? I have no clue! A new queen (maybe two?) will eventually come along and win a bunch of Slams. It takes time, but I think we'll start seeing it between 2015 and 2016.
I remember nobody gave a lot of credit to Steffi Graf between 1982 and 1985. People thought she was a good player but not as promising as Mary Joe Fernandez, Gabriela Sabatini or Kathy Rinaldi. Then she stepped it up in 1986 when she finished the year behind Martina and Chris. Yet again nobody could predict that she would have become almost unbeatable between 1987 and 1989 (8 Slams in 3 years). It wasn't until mid-1988 that everybody agreed that Steffi was the new queen.
larryd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #12
country flag blackandblue

blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of

Serena has five slams this decade. The decade started in 2011.
blackandblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #13
country flag Hilazza47

Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandblue View Post
No decade starts in the 10's and end in the 9's
0-9 is 10 years
Hilazza47 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #14
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandblue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilazza47 View Post
No decade starts in the 10's and end in the 9's
0-9 is 10 years
Correct. That's how most people view it at least.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010s
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #15
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

SamL we have a long good history so I will not bad rep you for those lame asterisks by Steffi. Seriously though, the only people on EARTH who put asterisks by Steffi's achievements are Seles' fans, how rude!
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote