Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 99 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:15 AM   #1471
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Ps Longines remember are interested in media outlets whose readers might buy expensive watches:-)
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:06 AM   #1472
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehardwick View Post
Another French piece from the same Longines media day in LV:

http://www.tetu.com/actualites/inter...t-a-ttue-19468
Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
How you guys find all these interviews ?
For this one, I wouldn't have thought a single second to look at this magazine for one of her interview, as it's a gay mag so not really about tennis
So THANK YOU Julie

Again tell me if you want translations
Translate this article.
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:00 AM   #1473
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

Did you guys see the huge banner "We Miss You Steffi" at Court Philippe Chatrier today during Stosur-Benesova match? How cool is that ?
I think this shows a lot of people miss her. And bear in mind that this is 12 years after her retirement!
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:06 PM   #1474
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehardwick View Post
Ps Longines remember are interested in media outlets whose readers might buy expensive watches:-)
Sure But I was more used to read her interviews on L'Equipe lol
What's happening on twitter ?

I will translate it later, no time this afternoon
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:07 PM   #1475
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan2808 View Post
Did you guys see the huge banner "We Miss You Steffi" at Court Philippe Chatrier today during Stosur-Benesova match? How cool is that ?
I think this shows a lot of people miss her. And bear in mind that this is 12 years after her retirement!
ha ha, didn't see this one, but good one
Old May 22nd, 2011, 02:47 PM   #1476
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

I remember reading in SI in 2000-01 about how the women's game has passed on even when someone like Steffi retired, basically saying that she would not be missed like Jordan in baseball and Wayne Gretzy in hockey (and some other great players who retired in 99) and 12 yrs later, no one is missed more in their respective fields than Steffi. Wonder where all those writers who predicted that she would have a tough post retirement and easily forgotten are!!!!!!
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM   #1477
country flag steffiandbibi

steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all

Quote:
would love to see a pic or the video!

周笔笔 但愿你的眼睛,只看得见笑容,但愿你流下每一滴泪,都让人感动
steffiandbibi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:27 PM   #1478

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffiandbibi View Post
would love to see a pic or the video!
Oh i didnt record it (i stopped recording tennis matches after Steffi retired. Only occasionally Roger's and Justine's matches...) let's see if they will have the rerun on the stosur-benesova match tomorrow, I try to record or take a pic of it. the banner is huge....
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:07 PM   #1479
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i stopped recording tennis matches after Steffi retired...
And here I thought it was only me. I don't worship any player, but when she retired, I actually did go through a little bit of tennis video depression, just because I recorded so many Steffi matches. I still watch the really good ones now and again!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:08 PM   #1480
country flag djul14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
And here I thought it was only me. I don't worship any player, but when she retired, I actually did go through a little bit of tennis video depression, just because I recorded so many Steffi matches. I still watch the really good ones now and again!
This. We can create a club
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM   #1481
country flag djul14

The translation from the Têtu article, be very indulgents with my English :

Roland Garros, Serena, Schiavone: Steffi Graf said everything to TÊTU (the magazine's name)

By Blueberry Rambion Saturday, May 21, 2011, at 11:15 | 2342 views

In the Vegas GIRLS LOCKER ROOM there are not only slot machines and Playboy bunnies. There is also Steffi Graf. Têtu braved the heat till Nevada to meet the champion on the eve of Roland Garros.

Note to ...well, the under 25 years old : Steffi Graf had the most beautiful legs on tour. Note for those over 25 : Steffi Graf still has, at nearly 42, the most beautiful legs on tour. Although she is retired. Fearlessly Têtu went there to investigate and to see it with its own eyes, on the eve of Roland Garros, in Las Vegas, the city where her husband, Andre Agassi, was born and raised and where she has put her suitcases, nearly 12 years ago. To see her and ask her some questions, still. And to be able to confirm that, her blue eyes haven't lost their intensity either.

Paris and the paparazzi

This year, Stefanie Graf, as apparently we now have to call her by her real name, it is more "woman", but quite frankly, the real truth is, she absolutely, royally, doesn't care, will let Dede (=André) go alone to Paris to play a little match against Jim Courier, while she will be in Halle, Germany, to play an exhibition.
But next year, promised, she will come back to this city and this tournament which has left her so many great memories (six titles), the most beautiful in 1999, after a terrific final against Martina Hingis. Surprising actually what the former world No. 1, for 377 weeks (record), said spontaneously about the French Open,
Not about the game : "From the perspective of the surface is a bit harder than anywhere else because everything depends on the weather: if it is wet and cold or sunny and dry, it gives two different surfaces, slow or fast. Physically, it is also a surface more tiring, difficult, than the others. ". No, not about the game, what she remembers the most about Paris, where she has always loved walking around and the museums is : "The city is great," confide the one known for her shyness, "but it is more complicated with the paparazzi (in Paris). It is more difficult to have a walk there, than anywhere else".

Serena, Kim and Francesca's fan
So no need to beat around the bush: Steffi, Stefanie, there is no real dominance in women's tennis nowadays (translation: are we not all bored about it?), right? What do you think ? "I really think Serena would dominate if she hadn't had all these health problems", she assures without any hesitation. "But she has so much trouble to play for a while, dominates, then takes a break ... but clearly, without injuries, to me she'll be clearly dominating". And you, as the best of the best, even if you confess now that your 22 Grand Slam titles is not impossible to achieve : "This is not something that I think a lot, but the players are becoming stronger, technology advances, so I do not see why it would not be possible to do it again. ", who are the players, apart from Serena, you've been most impressed by in recent years?
"There are many, and for different reasons", said Steffi Graf. "Watch Kim Clijsters who had a child and took time away from tennis and then decided to come back and won Slams. Very impressive! Or watch a girl like Francesca Schiavone who won Roland Garros last year ... There are beautiful stories. It's pretty open right now in women's tennis, and it is both fun and interesting to see what happens. "

A "Petkodance" for Steffi?

And if the one to watch for the next few days in Paris, and for the next few weeks elsewhere, was one of our favourites, a German, Andrea Petkovic? "Yes (smiling), I had the opportunity to play with her in March. She is very, very nice". Beyond that, what the last woman to successfully complete the Grand Slam, appreciated about her compatriot is that "she is extremely athletic and works hard. And we can see how much she's having fun, how passionate she is and how determined she is. I love this kind of players. I really think we will hear a lot about her, it's just the beginning". Unfortunately, Steffi did not know about the" Petkodance" she discovered it while Andrea Petkovic already left Las Vegas. Now she knows about it and why not celebrate, finally, another German victory in a Grand Slam. So we hope too.

Photos: DR.
Photo Steffi Graf / Andre Agassi: Longines.

Last edited by djul14 : May 22nd, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:35 AM   #1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
Me too!!! I actually STOPPED watching tennis for a while after she announced retirement in 1999. and yes, I still watch her old matches regularly.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:38 AM   #1483

Thanks for the Tetu translation! btw, i'm not sure if you guys still check out youtube everyday. I just watched the Steffi-Zina Garrison Wimbledon 91 QF match there. If you havent seen it - go and watch the video. Steffi played amazingly well. What a joy to see such breathtaking tennis!
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:18 AM   #1484
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

This is in spanish.
http://www.abc.es/20110523/deportes/...-20110523.html
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 04:41 PM   #1485

Sorry, didnt manage to capture that "We miss you Steffi" banner during the Stosur-Benesova match. They didnt show the rerun of that match today
there are some people who saw that as well (but still no pic). this is one of them: http://www.tennisr.com/talk/we-miss-...11-129605.html