Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 78 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 18th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #1156
country flag Seleção82

Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehardwick View Post
Is there a reason we're repeating this discussion about Sabatini and Graf from a couple of weeks ago - as young girls, they were intense rivals; as adults, they are very friendly (see Graf introducing Sabatini at the Hall of Fame)? Go figure.

(...)
I agree totally. Even famous tennis players are still human beings who are not perfect and who can overreact a bit in emotionally tense situations. I personally always find it refreshing to see them behave "imperfectly", it makes them appear as humans, not machines. So I don't see any point in deep analyses of small details of their behavior in difficult situations.

Of course there are limits though, sometimes it is a thin line between acting humanly and acting annoyingly foolish (McEnroe comes to my mind here, and nowadays also Monfils). But Steffi and Gaby never crossed that line, even at the time when they were young girls and intense rivals. So I think that it is a non-topic, actually.
Seleção82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 18th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #1157
country flag Seleção82

Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehardwick View Post
(...)

Graf has zero zero interest in playing any old timers tour or even doing exos - she's done I bet less than ten in eleven plus years since she retired and only for her charity. And almost no even quasi serious ones as opposed to the obvious hit and giggle variety.
True, she obviously isn't interested at all in such events like, for example, the usual Champions Invitational tourneys at the Slam tournaments. Which is a pity I think, it would be great to see her on court again more often. But it's her decision of course which we have to respect. And at least we still have all those videos of many impressive matches from her legendary career.
Seleção82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #1158
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Well, fans can still see her on court. Anyone in and around Washington DC can see her in person on court.
http://steffi-graf.net/en/smash-hits/
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 04:37 AM   #1159
country flag GrafMariaPetraK

GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of

http://www.youtube.com/user/geeva1979 Lots of Steffi Matches
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #1160
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafsharapovakim View Post
i noticed too. i really waited for a long time for uploads of Graf on youtube,finally geeva1979 make my dreams at true world.

We should say thanks atleast to him on every upload.
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 10:49 AM   #1161
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Was Steffi faced another pain from her friend,Sabatini in 1990?

we all know Steffi suffred a lot with her dad scandal after 1990 AO and didn't play like before in those years. and from this thread on Tannis-Warehouse(http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=4960238), show me another pain from Sabatini.

Steffi and Sabatini didn't participated as doubles partners after wimbledon ,because Gaby's coach told her to stop playing doubles with Steffi,because of her game affected.

Is it true and Steffi lost to next couple of matches to Gaby since then.Was Steffi really feel pain for their friendship?
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 03:25 PM   #1162
country flag Mike25

Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-K-M View Post
Was Steffi faced another pain from her friend,Sabatini in 1990?

we all know Steffi suffred a lot with her dad scandal after 1990 AO and didn't play like before in those years. and from this thread on Tannis-Warehouse(http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=4960238), show me another pain from Sabatini.

Steffi and Sabatini didn't participated as doubles partners after wimbledon ,because Gaby's coach told her to stop playing doubles with Steffi,because of her game affected.

Is it true and Steffi lost to next couple of matches to Gaby since then.Was Steffi really feel pain for their friendship?
Hi R-K-M,

I'm by no means an expert, but I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

It's true Sabatini's coach, Angel Gimenez, advised her to stop playing doubles with Steffi. He believed Sabatini would benefit from the doubles breakup, since Steffi had a huge mental advantage over Sabatini at the time. His reasoning was simple: Sabatini would never be able to beat Steffi on a consistent basis, so long as they continued playing doubles, hence the split. As for exact date of their doubles breakup, I'm not positive but I think it was sometime in early '90?. Maybe someone can confirm that?.

Sabatini's results against Steffi folowing their doubles split are a mixed bag. Even though Sabatini beat Steffi in the '90 US Open final, Steffi beat Sabatini the next 2 matches they played, in New England and the European Indoors, both in straight sets.

It wasn't until the 1990 YEC(Virginia Slims Championships), where Sabatini really became a problem for Steffi. After beating Steffi at the YEC, Sabatini followed it up with 4 consecutive wins over Steffi. If I recall right, 1 win was in Tokyo, the other 3 in Florida.

Based on the early results, Sabatini did benefit by not playing doubles with Steffi anymore. At the time, Sabatini was on a roll against Steffi, but Steffi was going through all kinds of personal problems at the time, which didn't help either.

Did Steffi's friendship with Sabatini suffer due to their doubles breakup?. Since their rivalry intensified, their friendship was bound to suffer to some extent. But by all accounts, Steffi and Sabatini are good friends today, which is confirmed by Sabatini choosing Steffi to present her for the Hall of Fame induction, back in 2006.

I hope that answers some of your questions?.

Mike
Mike25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM   #1163
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

And Steffi, who's not the most avid searcher of spotlights, accepted to present Gabriela.
I read back then that, as anyone can see from their court demeanour, Steffi took the leading role in their doubles matches and thus adding to her already more dominating style as a player, therefore Sabatini kept used to be the supporting actress and would never gain the mental frame needed to take the top spot from Graf. I found this argument reasonble enough.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee

Last edited by gabybackhand : Sep 22nd, 2010 at 06:11 PM.
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 07:32 PM   #1164
country flag nat75

nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold

It was Kirmayr and not Gimenez the one that suggested that Gaby should split with Steffi. I also her that Gaby and Steffi were friendly but not friends then and after the split the were sort of apart. It was much later in their careers that they became good friends (with the help of Ines Gorrochategui). I also heard their last tournament together was Wimbledon 1990. A very emotional tournament of both them with the tabloids going after them (Steffi with her dad's scandal still in vogue and Gaby's ex boyfriend spilling the beans. A piece of work that interview was, BTW. )
nat75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1165
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat75 View Post
It was Kirmayr and not Gimenez the one that suggested that Gaby should split with Steffi. I also her that Gaby and Steffi were friendly but not friends then and after the split the were sort of apart. It was much later in their careers that they became good friends (with the help of Ines Gorrochategui). I also heard their last tournament together was Wimbledon 1990. A very emotional tournament of both them with the tabloids going after them (Steffi with her dad's scandal still in vogue and Gaby's ex boyfriend spilling the beans. A piece of work that interview was, BTW. )
I see.... thanks for the info. I didnt know that Ines played a role in "reconciling" Stef and Gaby again. I only know that Ines (and also Patricia Tarabini) were two of Stef's closest friends on tour...
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #1166
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Steffi's SI cover from 1991 makes it to the list of great SI covers over the years and yes, it is the only tennis related cover that makes it to the list.
http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/09/2...trated-covers/
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #1167
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
Steffi's SI cover from 1991 makes it to the list of great SI covers over the years and yes, it is the only tennis related cover that makes it to the list.
http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/09/2...trated-covers/
Thanks, I like this cover. And the SI vault website is just incredible. Oh and at the #12 in the list, on most of the covers I absolutely don't know who those people are(base ball and NFL players)

I just Steffi on my TV screen...during the commercials, the rexonna one
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #1168
country flag kati830728

kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice

http://www.magnumphotos.com/Archive/...earch&DT=Image
kati830728 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #1169
country flag dolldot2

dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kati830728 View Post
Thanks you katie they are lovely photos they both look great
dolldot2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1170
country flag Jessyka

Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kati830728 View Post
Those are beautiful! Thanks for the link!