Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 77 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 15th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #1141
country flag 4times

4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike25 View Post
Steffi should do an old-timers tour playing against: Monica, Martina, Arantxa, Sabatini, Jana, Mary Joe, and some of the others. If all of them would agree, and their schedules didn't conflict, I think the fans would love it.
Love this idea. Get the men involved as well. But let's choose wisely - no Mary Joe/ Pam Shriver pls.
4times is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 15th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #1142
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

That's interesting Jana playing Steffi in a 1993 exhibition. After all, Jana had to suffer some psychological damage after her loss to Steffi at '93 Wimbledon, don't you think?. Of course, if that exhibition was prior to '93 Wimbledon, than Jana would have been fine.

But it's hard for me to imagine Jana wanting to play Steffi shortly after that terrible loss, in an exhibition?. It would have been like Sabatini playing Steffi in an exhibition, right after choking away the '91 Wimbledon Final. After the '91 Wimbledon Final, I doubt Sabatini would have agreed to play Steffi in any exhibition. Years later I can understand, as time can heal some of the bad memeories. But I'm sure Jana and Sabatini still carry some emotional wreckage from those losses to Steffi, don't you think?.

I think your right about Steffi playing Arantxa in a late 1990's exhibition. I can't recall if it was just before or after Steffi's retirement?.

Steffi should do an old-timers tour playing against: Monica, Martina, Arantxa, Sabatini, Jana, Mary Joe, and some of the others. If all of them would agree, and their schedules didn't conflict, I think the fans would love it.
If i'm not mistaken, yes, Jana was quite affected by her loss to Stef in 93 Wimbly final, but as for Gaby, I think her most emotional loss was to Mary Joe in FO 93.... i think Stef played Arantxa after Stef's retirement (I think they played at the end of 1999). Yes, some sort of old-timers tour would be wonderful!!! I would love to see that! if only some promoters can convince them to do it!!!
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #1143

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4times View Post
Love this idea. Get the men involved as well. But let's choose wisely - no Mary Joe/ Pam Shriver pls.
invite Chris then. Or perhaps Conchita....
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #1144
country flag Mike25

Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan2808 View Post
If i'm not mistaken, yes, Jana was quite affected by her loss to Stef in 93 Wimbly final, but as for Gaby, I think her most emotional loss was to Mary Joe in FO 93.... i think Stef played Arantxa after Stef's retirement (I think they played at the end of 1999). Yes, some sort of old-timers tour would be wonderful!!! I would love to see that! if only some promoters can convince them to do it!!!
Your right, Jana's loss to Steffi in the '93 Wimbly Final was just devestating for her. Even though Jana finally won Wimbly in '98, she probably never fully recovered from that loss, and never will(IMO).

As for Sabatini, the choke against Mary Joe in the '93 French was crushing. However, in some ways, I think Sabatini's loss to Steffi in the '91 Wimbly final may be worse. Consider the fact, Sabatini was only 2 points from the title, and served twice for the championship. As bad as Jana's loss in the '93 Wimbly final was, Jana was 5 points from victory, while Sabatini was just 2 points away. So when you look at it like that, which loss do you think hurt more?. But the Mary Joe match was probably the beginning of the end for Sabatini.

With the old-timers tour idea, the promoters would have to do one hell of a job, convincing all of them to participate. Thanks for mentioning Conchita, I forgot about her. As for Pam Shriver, I really wouldn't want her around. But I have no problem inviting Mary Joe to an old-timers tour, how about you?.
Mike25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #1145

Quote:
Your right, Jana's loss to Steffi in the '93 Wimbly Final was just devestating for her. Even though Jana finally won Wimbly in '98, she probably never fully recovered from that loss, and never will(IMO).

As for Sabatini, the choke against Mary Joe in the '93 French was crushing. However, in some ways, I think Sabatini's loss to Steffi in the '91 Wimbly final may be worse. Consider the fact, Sabatini was only 2 points from the title, and served twice for the championship. As bad as Jana's loss in the '93 Wimbly final was, Jana was 5 points from victory, while Sabatini was just 2 points away. So when you look at it like that, which loss do you think hurt more?. But the Mary Joe match was probably the beginning of the end for Sabatini.

With the old-timers tour idea, the promoters would have to do one hell of a job, convincing all of them to participate. Thanks for mentioning Conchita, I forgot about her. As for Pam Shriver, I really wouldn't want her around. But I have no problem inviting Mary Joe to an old-timers tour, how about you?.
Yeah, I guess u r right - Gaby was 2 points away from the title (was she serving at 6-5, 30-all when Stef ran down her volleys and finally hit a backhand winner??), but I do think any loss againts anyone after leading 6-1, 5-1 (which was Gaby's case vs MJ) could be the most devastating. Anyway...
As for MJF being a part of the "old-timers" tour - I guess some of us have different perception of her because she was pretty bad in terms of her comments for Stef when she was doing some commentating later on, although throughout their career, they seemed to be good friends (they always kissed each other's cheeks after every match). Seems like sour grapes for never winning any of her 17 matches against Stef!
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #1146
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Considering MJF head to head vs. Steffi, I definitely think she should be part of this "old timer tour", add Tauziat to the list
I am being so mean...and proud of it.
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #1147
country flag Mike25

Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan2808 View Post
Yeah, I guess u r right - Gaby was 2 points away from the title (was she serving at 6-5, 30-all when Stef ran down her volleys and finally hit a backhand winner??), but I do think any loss againts anyone after leading 6-1, 5-1 (which was Gaby's case vs MJ) could be the most devastating. Anyway...
As for MJF being a part of the "old-timers" tour - I guess some of us have different perception of her because she was pretty bad in terms of her comments for Stef when she was doing some commentating later on, although throughout their career, they seemed to be good friends (they always kissed each other's cheeks after every match). Seems like sour grapes for never winning any of her 17 matches against Stef!
Yes, I've heard people state before, how Mary Joe has made some disparaging comments regarding Steffi during the broadcasts. I can tell you, whenever I watched a match that Mary Joe was broadcasting, I never remembered her saying anything negative towards Steffi. Perhaps she did, and I just missed it. Can you recall anything specific Mary Joe said concerning Steffi?.

But it's the old saying, you can't please everyone all of the time. Even if Mary Joe did make some negative comments about Steffi, I'm not sure that should prevent Mary Joe from participating in an "old-timers tour". How do you feel about MJ's participation?.

And if I recall right, didn't Sabatini make some negative comments regarding Steffi in the early '90's?. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think it happened in the middle of Sabatini's win streak over Steffi?. After one of Steffi's losses, a reporter asked Sabatini what was wrong with Steffi's game. If memory serves me right, I believe Sabatini replied Steffi was losing her confidence to be the world number 1 ranked player?. Do you remember Sabatini making this comment?. Again, I'm not positive about the details, but I'm sure someone like djul14 or Irma could confirm exactly what Sabatini said?.

To conclude, even though Mary Joe and Sabatini may have been guilty of making less than flattering comments about Steffi, I just don't believe it's enough to ban them from participating with Steffi in an old-timers tour. But I'm guessing you and djul14 see it different?.
Mike25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #1148
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation

Is there a reason we're repeating this discussion about Sabatini and Graf from a couple of weeks ago - as young girls, they were intense rivals; as adults, they are very friendly (see Graf introducing Sabatini at the Hall of Fame)? Go figure.

Mike, you seem interested in some potstirring with some of these questions!

Graf has zero zero interest in playing any old timers tour or even doing exos - she's done I bet less than ten in eleven plus years since she retired and only for her charity. And almost no even quasi serious ones as opposed to the obvious hit and giggle variety.
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1149
country flag morbidangle

morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of

Interesting to see some of my old internet friends being mentioned here...
On topic, I just dont see Steffi ever competing on a senior tour , or anything of that sort!
morbidangle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #1150
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

New post from Steffi about tennis tips.
http://steffi-graf.net/en/tennis-tips/
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #1151
country flag Warriorroger

Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yes, I've heard people state before, how Mary Joe has made some disparaging comments regarding Steffi during the broadcasts. I can tell you, whenever I watched a match that Mary Joe was broadcasting, I never remembered her saying anything negative towards Steffi. Perhaps she did, and I just missed it. Can you recall anything specific Mary Joe said concerning Steffi?.

But it's the old saying, you can't please everyone all of the time. Even if Mary Joe did make some negative comments about Steffi, I'm not sure that should prevent Mary Joe from participating in an "old-timers tour". How do you feel about MJ's participation?.

And if I recall right, didn't Sabatini make some negative comments regarding Steffi in the early '90's?. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think it happened in the middle of Sabatini's win streak over Steffi?. After one of Steffi's losses, a reporter asked Sabatini what was wrong with Steffi's game. If memory serves me right, I believe Sabatini replied Steffi was losing her confidence to be the world number 1 ranked player?. Do you remember Sabatini making this comment?. Again, I'm not positive about the details, but I'm sure someone like djul14 or Irma could confirm exactly what Sabatini said?.

To conclude, even though Mary Joe and Sabatini may have been guilty of making less than flattering comments about Steffi, I just don't believe it's enough to ban them from participating with Steffi in an old-timers tour. But I'm guessing you and djul14 see it different?.
Sabatini could beat Graf and her comments were understandable. When you beat someone a couple of times and you constantly get questins about how good Graf (or Seles) is, your own pride takes (totally legit) over. Sabatini on a good day gave Graf more trouble than Seles. MJ is a sour goody two shoes. They way she and Olive Oil Shriver discussed Graf's game during the Serena -Steffi match was disgusting and negative. They probably feel better by taking a superior person down. They should be allowed on the senior tour and hope Steffi kicks their butts again.
Warriorroger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #1152
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Pictures

from 2006 Brigitte magazine:
http://sgtribute.blogspot.com/2010/0...-magazine.html

from Stern Magazine,2007:
http://sgtribute.blogspot.com/2010/0...azine2007.html

from Longines,2009:(High Resolution & no logo)
http://sgtribute.blogspot.com/2010/0...icture-of.html

Last edited by R-K-M : Sep 17th, 2010 at 05:13 AM.
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #1153
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehardwick View Post
Well if Amy is a sports journalist in Germany now (which I doubt for many reasons from what she said back in the days), that move might explain her disappearance as she definitely lived in Florida in those days.
Good News, Amy Cottrel still posting on internet.

I found her recent activity.
Link:http://www.tonews.com/thread/1160444...art=0#p2286571

according this link, she posted on Sun May 02, 2010 2:31 pm
"She's one of the greatest players, may be even greatest" - Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" - Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" - Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #1154
country flag 4times

4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehardwick View Post
Graf has zero zero interest in playing any old timers tour or even doing exos - she's done I bet less than ten in eleven plus years since she retired and only for her charity. And almost no even quasi serious ones as opposed to the obvious hit and giggle variety.
Agree completely. But it's still fun to talk about and would be an awesome event if it happened.

If I were the event manager, I'd do doubles - mixed and men's/ women's. Pair Steffi with Pete.
4times is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #1155
country flag Seleção82

Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of

Good morning/noon/afternoon/evening/night everyone!

I hope that at your place the weather is as nice as it is here right now. Enjoy the warming sun as long as it is possible, the next winter will come for sure.

Seleção82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote