Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 76 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 14th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #1126
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Until yesterday,Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi are only champions to win career slam with a olympic gold medal,but now Nadal added. In future Henin may placed with them if she won wimbledon. Anybody can tell about how is AMY COTTREL? and anybody can tell me that Yesim Arslan and Christopher Skelton are on this forum?
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 14th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #1127
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Who ?
Can't help you, sorry.
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #1128
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-K-M View Post
Until yesterday,Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi are only champions to win career slam with a olympic gold medal,but now Nadal added. In future Henin may placed with them if she won wimbledon. Anybody can tell about how is AMY COTTREL? and anybody can tell me that Yesim Arslan and Christopher Skelton are on this forum?
Amy is a great Steffi fan from Germany and posted tons of articles on google group. Suddenly she stopped since 2006. Even i didn't get an email from her from then. Irma may tell about her!. Yesim is the webmaster of Steffi forever site(geocities). Christopher is the owner of SGISC.com . Offcourse we miss many other
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #1129
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation

I'm not optimistic about Justine winning W anymore although I was at the start of her comeback last winter.

Amy and Chris Skelton seemed to drift off after the hall of fame induction in 2004. Yesim I don't know. Max (infamous on these boards but - quite unfairly I thought - banned for baiting Seles fans - a few of whom are the world's biggest baiters:-) posted on Amy's google group for a long time but also has moved on.

A lot of people used to post very regularly for years on a series of early internet boards re Agassi and Graf and all moved together, eventually to the peoplesforum boards but when they went down, things seemed to disperse. And of course retirement will have that effect. Or perhaps they went to another board.
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #1130
country flag R-K-M

Could you please reply with the list of old boards and some still active boards outside tennisforum and talk tennis?
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #1131
country flag Mike25

Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan2808 View Post
If my memory serves me right, Stef won 6-2 6-4 vs Sabatini there...
Yes, your right.

Steffi did beat Sabatini by that score. I think that exhibition in Mannheim was sold out, standing room only. Steffi was obviously the crowd favorite, but I was surprised by how many fans Sabatini had in Mannheim. If I recall right, Sabatini tried to fool Steffi with her between the legs trick shot, but Steffi tracked Sabatini's shot down for a winner?. Does anyone remember that in the Mannheim exhibition?.

Is Steffi planning to play Sabatini in any upcoming exhibitions?. Also, I'm pretty sure Steffi played Arantxa and Jana in some exhibitions?. Can anyone confirm this?.
Mike25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #1132
juliehardwick

I don't know if Amy is originally German (name like Amy Cottrell doesn't suggest so, although her German is excellent) but she was living in Florida during the many years she ran the google groups group and posted on other boards.
Chris was in England if I recall. Yesim in Turkey I think.
Irma may know more.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #1133
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike25 View Post
Yes, your right.

Steffi did beat Sabatini by that score. I think that exhibition in Mannheim was sold out, standing room only. Steffi was obviously the crowd favorite, but I was surprised by how many fans Sabatini had in Mannheim. If I recall right, Sabatini tried to fool Steffi with her between the legs trick shot, but Steffi tracked Sabatini's shot down for a winner?. Does anyone remember that in the Mannheim exhibition?.

Is Steffi planning to play Sabatini in any upcoming exhibitions?. Also, I'm pretty sure Steffi played Arantxa and Jana in some exhibitions?. Can anyone confirm this?.
Not sure if Stef is planning on future exhibitions with Gaby... As for her exhibition with Novotna, I only know once in 1993, which Stef won (again if not wrong) 6-3 6-3 - interestingly at Buenos Aires. She might have done an exhibition with Arantxa at the end of 1999 in Spain, which she won 6-3 7-6 (once again, if I'm not wrong)
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #1134
country flag Mike25

Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan2808 View Post
Not sure if Stef is planning on future exhibitions with Gaby... As for her exhibition with Novotna, I only know once in 1993, which Stef won (again if not wrong) 6-3 6-3 - interestingly at Buenos Aires. She might have done an exhibition with Arantxa at the end of 1999 in Spain, which she won 6-3 7-6 (once again, if I'm not wrong)
Thanks for the info.

That's interesting Jana playing Steffi in a 1993 exhibition. After all, Jana had to suffer some psychological damage after her loss to Steffi at '93 Wimbledon, don't you think?. Of course, if that exhibition was prior to '93 Wimbledon, than Jana would have been fine.

But it's hard for me to imagine Jana wanting to play Steffi shortly after that terrible loss, in an exhibition?. It would have been like Sabatini playing Steffi in an exhibition, right after choking away the '91 Wimbledon Final. After the '91 Wimbledon Final, I doubt Sabatini would have agreed to play Steffi in any exhibition. Years later I can understand, as time can heal some of the bad memeories. But I'm sure Jana and Sabatini still carry some emotional wreckage from those losses to Steffi, don't you think?.

I think your right about Steffi playing Arantxa in a late 1990's exhibition. I can't recall if it was just before or after Steffi's retirement?.

Steffi should do an old-timers tour playing against: Monica, Martina, Arantxa, Sabatini, Jana, Mary Joe, and some of the others. If all of them would agree, and their schedules didn't conflict, I think the fans would love it.
Mike25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #1135
country flag R-K-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehardwick View Post
I don't know if Amy is originally German (name like Amy Cottrell doesn't suggest so, although her German is excellent) but she was living in Florida during the many years she ran the google groups group and posted on other boards.
Chris was in England if I recall. Yesim in Turkey I think.
Irma may know more.
I too not sure about Amy's nationality,but i think she's not only a fan of Graf and she' a sports journalist in Germany (i think).

Yesim- yes she's from Turkey.
Christopher from England.

I also found Max posts on that google group.and i know many more popular boards that contains past player discussions are expired now. If there are any other boards outside this forum,please reply

and i also believe that Irma may know more about them.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #1136
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'm not optimistic about Justine winning W anymore although I was at the start of her comeback last winter.

Amy and Chris Skelton seemed to drift off after the hall of fame induction in 2004. Yesim I don't know. Max (infamous on these boards but - quite unfairly I thought - banned for baiting Seles fans - a few of whom are the world's biggest baiters:-) posted on Amy's google group for a long time but also has moved on.

A lot of people used to post very regularly for years on a series of early internet boards re Agassi and Graf and all moved together, eventually to the peoplesforum boards but when they went down, things seemed to disperse. And of course retirement will have that effect. Or perhaps they went to another board.
Max Calimero wasn't very popular on peoplesforum either (and I am talking the Steffi board) because he had another idol named George W Bush
He didn´t move on though. He is on the rec.tennis (and probably still a fan of George)
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #1137
juliehardwick

Well if Amy is a sports journalist in Germany now (which I doubt for many reasons from what she said back in the days), that move might explain her disappearance as she definitely lived in Florida in those days.

Lol about Max, Irma. I liked his tennis comments. Sharp guy, often funny and absolutely unabashed Graf worshipper. I don't remember much about his politics (probably just as well as I'm not on that side...).

Now Heidi - there's a poster we miss!

What's rec.tennis?
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #1138
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

Quote:
Well if Amy is a sports journalist in Germany now (which I doubt for many reasons from what she said back in the days), that move might explain her disappearance as she definitely lived in Florida in those days.

Lol about Max, Irma. I liked his tennis comments. Sharp guy, often funny and absolutely unabashed Graf worshipper. I don't remember much about his politics (probably just as well as I'm not on that side...).

Now Heidi - there's a poster we miss!

What's rec.tennis?
that's a google newsgroup too.
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #1139
country flag R-K-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike25 View Post
Hi,

I try to keep as up to date as possible on Steffi's fairly recent and current activities. But I have a few questions concerning two of Steffi's exhibition matches:

1. I know Steffi played Kimiko Date about two years ago in an exhibition. Did Steffi beat Kimiko in that match?. What was the final score?. Also, has Steffi played Kimiko in any other exhibition matches?. And does anyone know if they plan to play eachother again?. I think Kimiko returned to the pro game shortly after this match?. If true, it makes me wonder if Kimiko was using this match against Steffi as a primer for her return to the pro level?. I know it was only an exhibition, but maybe Kimiko was thinking big picture?.

2. I'm pretty sure Steffi played Gabriela Sabatini around 4 years ago in an exhibition?. If I remember right, Steffi beat Sabatini easily in that exhibition?. Does anyone know the score?. Just like the old days, I think Steffi handled Sabatini's serve with little difficulty. After the match, I think Sabatini even commented how Steffi could return to the pro game with no problem, based on how well Steffi played in their exhibition. Has Steffi played Sabatini in any other exhibitions?. Lastly, is Steffi planning to play Sabatini again in any upcoming exhibition matches?.

I know there is a wealth of Steffi knowledge on this site, so I'm hoping to tap some of it, and maybe get some answers?.

Thank you for your time,

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by samn View Post
Yes, Graf played Navratilova and Date in the Dream Match 2008 exhibition in Tokyo. The Graf/Navratilova and Date/Navratilova matches were best of 8 games, 1 set matches, whereas the Graf/Date was a regular best of three.

Date d. Navratilova 8-6
Graf d. Navratilova 8-7 (10-5) (10-point tiebreaker at 7 games all)
Date d. Graf 6-2 6-3

Graf also played Sabatini in an exhibition in Berlin in 2004 following the renaming of the center court at the Berlin Rot-Weiss club as Steffi Graf Stadium. (The exhibition was not played at the club, though; it was held indoors). Graf won 6-1 7-5. I also seem to recall another exhibition they played in Germany a few years later, but for the life of me, I have no recollection of the score. It was in Germany, so I assume Graf won.

Don't quote me on this, but I think they might also have been scheduled to play an exhibition or two in Buenos Aires. I don't remember what happened to this.
Yes you answered perfectly. Steffi beats Sabatini with scoreline 6-1,7-5.That match was held on Sepetember 25,2004 in berlin.On that day,she also confirmed that her husband Andre will play one more year(i mean media thought that Andre's retirement in that year).

and next exhibition match in Mannheim 2005.There Steffi won with score line 6-4,6-2.

and the same year(2005) Graf/Agassi d. Kournikova/Roddick with score 8-7 in Richmond Genworth Childrens Advantage Classic match.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #1140
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What's rec.tennis?
rec.sport.tennis is a Usenet group that I used to visit and even post to regularly until it got really tiresome with a few "prolific" posters constantly posting "GOAT" or "peak versus peak" threads and shouting down the more sane posters. Plus the usual mix of nutters and trolls just looking to annoy everyone. It really started to deteriorate the closer Federer got to Sampras' tally of Grand Slams. (Think a slightly saner version of General Messages with mostly older posters.)
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote