Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 75 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 7th, 2010, 03:05 AM   #1111
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

That said I didn't foresee Mrs.Agassi either and so I can be grossly wrong for who knows what's in store in the future for someone.
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 7th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #1112
country flag 4times

4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by camilia View Post
I see where you are coming from but I'm sorry guys, Rafa is a sweet kid, Serena can be mean sometimes. I appreciate her tennis talent but keep her away from poor Rafa
+1. She'd eat him alive.
4times is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #1113
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessyka View Post
I agree. It's actually funny to think about it now. I remember my reaction when I first read that they were together. Total shock and disbelief.
My reaction was something like : "rumors "
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #1114
country flag camilia

camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4times View Post
+1. She'd eat him alive.
camilia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #1115
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Brief video of Steffi's NY events.
http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/longines/45790/
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #1116
country flag camilia

camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
Brief video of Steffi's NY events.
http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/longines/45790/
Thank you
camilia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #1117
country flag Stef-fan

Probably most of you read this but posting it anyway so that no one misses it. Really liked this message posted by one of the readers on Steffi's blog. The mesaage speaks for itself about Steffi's treatment of others, be it a cab driver or a regular person.

Debra Johnson says:
19 February 2010 at 10:29 AM
Dear Steffi,

You tennis career was such a huge part of my life. Some of us have not yet been fortunate enough to find our ways in life but tennis a lot of times is what kept me moving forward. Still to this date I have not found anyone who inspired my days so much.

One time during the women’s hardcourt tournament in San Antonio Texas I was a volunteer driver for the players. This was when you played Monica in the finals. I was the only African American, probably in the entire stadium but I still took a chance to ask if I could drive Steffi. I was told more than likely not. Much to my surprise my name was called the day of the semi-finals and I was beside myself. I not only got the chance to drive you to your hotel but later in my own car, a little blue Toyota Corolla, I got the chance to drive you to dinner, Pizanos and then to the Spurs game. I got the chance to tell you that no matter what, you are number one in my book and that remains to date. The most important thing I experienced was to actually see the warmness of your heart. I was so nervous I could barely speak during this experience but I remember being so touched by the warmness you showed to me without us exchanging hardly any words. I will never ever forget that experience.

Oh yea and after you won the finals, I got the chance to really smile with you. No one believes me when I tell this story because I cared so much I did not want to bother you to take pictures but the pictures remain in my mind.

I am so happy for you everytime I read something about you and your beautiful family.

I continue to wish you all the happiness in the world. Keep up the good work of giving. I am trying to learn to do the same.
Debra Johnson
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #1118
country flag tkutsaar

tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute

Steffi’s most spectacular win had to be her first Wimbledon (1988); I remember it vividly as if it were yesterday. Martina was going for a record ninth W championship whereas Steffi, by then recognized as the heir to female tennis hegemony, had won the Australian & French and people were whispering the possibility of her winning the grand slam that year. As the first set was played out it was obvious to even indifferent onlookers that the championship was going to go to Steffi. She was dominating Martina something fierce and as I was rooting for Steffi I was deliriously happy. However Martina Navratilova was no slouch or neophyte player; she was the defending champion after all and she was hanging in there even though being obviously outclassed. All of a sudden it was the 12th game of the set and Steffi was serving at 5-6. I was grousing that the set was going into a TB when Steffi should have had the set in her pocket by now considering how well she was playing. The next thing I knew Martina had a break/set point and got it. Even the commentators (Dick Enberg one of them still around today; Bud Collins no longer around- I forgot who was the female commentator) were in a somewhat shock to realize that Martina had actually won the set.

To compound the incongruity to this match, after Martina held to start the second set- she broke Steffi again to lead 2-0 and so only had to hold serve four more times to win. I could not fathom it; I could not believe what was happening. I should have known better; the tennis gods would not let such injustice go away. Unbeknownst to everyone at this point Martina’s fun was over. She did not hold her serve after that. Steffi won 5-7, 6-2 & 6-1 (Marina inconsequently broke Steffi once in the third set). The most telling observation of the play was made by Bud Collins. He noted that Martina was seeing balls returned that would have been winners against any other player.
tkutsaar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #1119
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
Probably most of you read this but posting it anyway so that no one misses it. Really liked this message posted by one of the readers on Steffi's blog. The mesaage speaks for itself about Steffi's treatment of others, be it a cab driver or a regular person.

Debra Johnson says:
19 February 2010 at 10:29 AM
Dear Steffi,

You tennis career was such a huge part of my life. Some of us have not yet been fortunate enough to find our ways in life but tennis a lot of times is what kept me moving forward. Still to this date I have not found anyone who inspired my days so much.

One time during the women’s hardcourt tournament in San Antonio Texas I was a volunteer driver for the players. This was when you played Monica in the finals. I was the only African American, probably in the entire stadium but I still took a chance to ask if I could drive Steffi. I was told more than likely not. Much to my surprise my name was called the day of the semi-finals and I was beside myself. I not only got the chance to drive you to your hotel but later in my own car, a little blue Toyota Corolla, I got the chance to drive you to dinner, Pizanos and then to the Spurs game. I got the chance to tell you that no matter what, you are number one in my book and that remains to date. The most important thing I experienced was to actually see the warmness of your heart. I was so nervous I could barely speak during this experience but I remember being so touched by the warmness you showed to me without us exchanging hardly any words. I will never ever forget that experience.

Oh yea and after you won the finals, I got the chance to really smile with you. No one believes me when I tell this story because I cared so much I did not want to bother you to take pictures but the pictures remain in my mind.

I am so happy for you everytime I read something about you and your beautiful family.

I continue to wish you all the happiness in the world. Keep up the good work of giving. I am trying to learn to do the same.
Debra Johnson
Thanks for posting, I missed this one (shame on me).
I like to hear stories from tournaments' staff members(&co.) , because it tells so much about the "true colors" of the players, and not the way are seen/perceived while in public
I remember an article from l'Equipe (1997 I think) this way, I will have to try to translate it one day, but it's a long one, so...one day
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #1120
country flag djul14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkutsaar View Post
Steffi’s most spectacular win had to be her first Wimbledon (1988); I remember it vividly as if it were yesterday. Martina was going for a record ninth W championship whereas Steffi, by then recognized as the heir to female tennis hegemony, had won the Australian & French and people were whispering the possibility of her winning the grand slam that year. As the first set was played out it was obvious to even indifferent onlookers that the championship was going to go to Steffi. She was dominating Martina something fierce and as I was rooting for Steffi I was deliriously happy. However Martina Navratilova was no slouch or neophyte player; she was the defending champion after all and she was hanging in there even though being obviously outclassed. All of a sudden it was the 12th game of the set and Steffi was serving at 5-6. I was grousing that the set was going into a TB when Steffi should have had the set in her pocket by now considering how well she was playing. The next thing I knew Martina had a break/set point and got it. Even the commentators (Dick Enberg one of them still around today; Bud Collins no longer around- I forgot who was the female commentator) were in a somewhat shock to realize that Martina had actually won the set.

To compound the incongruity to this match, after Martina held to start the second set- she broke Steffi again to lead 2-0 and so only had to hold serve four more times to win. I could not fathom it; I could not believe what was happening. I should have known better; the tennis gods would not let such injustice go away. Unbeknownst to everyone at this point Martina’s fun was over. She did not hold her serve after that. Steffi won 5-7, 6-2 & 6-1 (Marina inconsequently broke Steffi once in the third set). The most telling observation of the play was made by Bud Collins. He noted that Martina was seeing balls returned that would have been winners against any other player.
You've described this match so well, from 2-0 in the second, suddenly Steffi found her outstanding game (again) and even more, with some really incredible points
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 04:59 AM   #1121
country flag Mike25

Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

I try to keep as up to date as possible on Steffi's fairly recent and current activities. But I have a few questions concerning two of Steffi's exhibition matches:

1. I know Steffi played Kimiko Date about two years ago in an exhibition. Did Steffi beat Kimiko in that match?. What was the final score?. Also, has Steffi played Kimiko in any other exhibition matches?. And does anyone know if they plan to play eachother again?. I think Kimiko returned to the pro game shortly after this match?. If true, it makes me wonder if Kimiko was using this match against Steffi as a primer for her return to the pro level?. I know it was only an exhibition, but maybe Kimiko was thinking big picture?.

2. I'm pretty sure Steffi played Gabriela Sabatini around 4 years ago in an exhibition?. If I remember right, Steffi beat Sabatini easily in that exhibition?. Does anyone know the score?. Just like the old days, I think Steffi handled Sabatini's serve with little difficulty. After the match, I think Sabatini even commented how Steffi could return to the pro game with no problem, based on how well Steffi played in their exhibition. Has Steffi played Sabatini in any other exhibitions?. Lastly, is Steffi planning to play Sabatini again in any upcoming exhibition matches?.

I know there is a wealth of Steffi knowledge on this site, so I'm hoping to tap some of it, and maybe get some answers?.

Thank you for your time,

Mike
Mike25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #1122
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike25 View Post
Hi,

I try to keep as up to date as possible on Steffi's fairly recent and current activities. But I have a few questions concerning two of Steffi's exhibition matches:

1. I know Steffi played Kimiko Date about two years ago in an exhibition. Did Steffi beat Kimiko in that match?. What was the final score?. Also, has Steffi played Kimiko in any other exhibition matches?. And does anyone know if they plan to play eachother again?. I think Kimiko returned to the pro game shortly after this match?. If true, it makes me wonder if Kimiko was using this match against Steffi as a primer for her return to the pro level?. I know it was only an exhibition, but maybe Kimiko was thinking big picture?.

2. I'm pretty sure Steffi played Gabriela Sabatini around 4 years ago in an exhibition?. If I remember right, Steffi beat Sabatini easily in that exhibition?. Does anyone know the score?. Just like the old days, I think Steffi handled Sabatini's serve with little difficulty. After the match, I think Sabatini even commented how Steffi could return to the pro game with no problem, based on how well Steffi played in their exhibition. Has Steffi played Sabatini in any other exhibitions?. Lastly, is Steffi planning to play Sabatini again in any upcoming exhibition matches?.

I know there is a wealth of Steffi knowledge on this site, so I'm hoping to tap some of it, and maybe get some answers?.

Thank you for your time,

Mike
Yes, Graf played Navratilova and Date in the Dream Match 2008 exhibition in Tokyo. The Graf/Navratilova and Date/Navratilova matches were best of 8 games, 1 set matches, whereas the Graf/Date was a regular best of three.

Date d. Navratilova 8-6
Graf d. Navratilova 8-7 (10-5) (10-point tiebreaker at 7 games all)
Date d. Graf 6-2 6-3

Graf also played Sabatini in an exhibition in Berlin in 2004 following the renaming of the center court at the Berlin Rot-Weiss club as Steffi Graf Stadium. (The exhibition was not played at the club, though; it was held indoors). Graf won 6-1 7-5. I also seem to recall another exhibition they played in Germany a few years later, but for the life of me, I have no recollection of the score. It was in Germany, so I assume Graf won.

Don't quote me on this, but I think they might also have been scheduled to play an exhibition or two in Buenos Aires. I don't remember what happened to this.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #1123
country flag djul14

The second exhibition against Sabatini was played in Mannheim (Germany) in 2005, Steffi won in 2, can't remember the score right now.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #1124
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

If my memory serves me right, Stef won 6-2 6-4 vs Sabatini there...
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #1125
country flag djul14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan2808 View Post
If my memory serves me right, Stef won 6-2 6-4 vs Sabatini there...
Yes it was a quick win, so you're probably right

Rafa did it and so joins the Agassis