Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 66 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 11th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #976
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bia View Post
What's shocking to me is to see Michael Stich in a better position than Boris.
I wouldn't say schoking, but funnier
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 11th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #977
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation

"Open" came out in pprback yesterday and I thought this might be accompanied by a new round of interviews to push sales. But apparently not. I did get a tweet from the long defunct Agassi twitter account about the pprback which led me to cruise around twitter a bit and discover that far from being immersed in a publicity whirl, the Agassis are having a little southern CA break complete with theme park, beach and VERY nice hotel.
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #978
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Hi Julie, you are always resoucerful
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #979
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

After how long and exhausting the first book tour was, wouldn't expect him to delibrately do it unless it is a part of the contract.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #980
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation

Not sure about the resourceful. Did ponder the difference between reading something on twitter and repeating it? (I did, for instance, see a hilarious post on the fb site of someone who isn't observant enough about fb's failure to automatically provide limitations on who can see posts that I have resisted repeating. Is twitter in that category?)
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #981
country flag Stef-fan

You are asking the wrong person, I am really bad at social media networking.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #982
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

From the SI website, they compiled some quotes from players autobiographies :

Quote:
Passing Shots: Pam Shriver on Tour, by Pam Shriver, Frank Deford and Susan Adams
Page 127: "I'm lucky I played Steffi Graf on grass. It's her worst surface, and she didn't serve and volley at all. Today Mr. Graf was sitting right behind the linesman, and when he called one of Steffi's passing shots out, Mr. Graf started yelling 'No, no, no' right in the poor guy's ear. So I turned to him and yelled, 'Shut up!' and he did. There wasn't a peep out of him the rest of the match."
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #983
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
Passing Shots: Pam Shriver on Tour, by Pam Shriver, Frank Deford and Susan Adams
Page 127: "I'm lucky I played Steffi Graf on grass. It's her worst surface, and she didn't serve and volley at all. Today Mr. Graf was sitting right behind the linesman, and when he called one of Steffi's passing shots out, Mr. Graf started yelling 'No, no, no' right in the poor guy's ear. So I turned to him and yelled, 'Shut up!' and he did. There wasn't a peep out of him the rest of the match."
Interesting to see that at that time, it was viewed that Steffi's worst surface was grass. My how she turned things around
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #984
country flag Stef-fan

I raed that too. Pam looked to childish mentioning it in her biography, she cannot beat Steffi in tennis or find faults with her, so bring her father into picture.
Another thing that struck me is that all the top female players from past to present (may be not in order): Viginia Wade, Margaret Court, BJK ,Martina, Evert, Seles and Serena (cream of the WTA in whichever order you list them) have their autobiographies, the only person missing is Steffi and she will always be missing in that list.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #985
country flag camilia

camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of

Yah, I wouldn't hold my breath for a Steffi autobiography either
camilia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #986
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
I raed that too. Pam looked to childish mentioning it in her biography, she cannot beat Steffi in tennis or find faults with her, so bring her father into picture.
Another thing that struck me is that all the top female players from past to present (may be not in order): Viginia Wade, Margaret Court, BJK ,Martina, Evert, Seles and Serena (cream of the WTA in whichever order you list them) have their autobiographies, the only person missing is Steffi and she will always be missing in that list.
Maybe she's too busy on living her life. I noticed that the majority of american famous athletes write autobiographies, it must be on their contracts. I doubt they're all worthed to be read. The Agassi's one was good though, but I felt he should have need at least other four of five volums to tell his story.
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #987
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Page 127: "I'm lucky I played Steffi Graf on grass. It's her worst surface,...

Last edited by bia : Aug 12th, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #988
country flag Stef-fan

Not sure if any of ypu watched this clip before, an exhibition match between Kimiko Date and Steffi in 2008, notice at the end how Steffi and Kimiko are busy talking that they did not even notice the chair umpire being blocked from getting down. Steffi looks very relaxed in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enou4OwEO8k
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #989
country flag Mike25

Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
Not sure if any of ypu watched this clip before, an exhibition match between Kimiko Date and Steffi in 2008, notice at the end how Steffi and Kimiko are busy talking that they did not even notice the chair umpire being blocked from getting down. Steffi looks very relaxed in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enou4OwEO8k
Yes, I've seen that clip before, but thanks for posting it all the same. Kimiko and Steffi both appear at ease in the video, and as you say, completely relaxed. Of course, it's just an exhibition. I'm dead certain things were much more tense when Kimiko upset Steffi back in the late '90's.

Speaking of tense, have you seen the video at the end of Steffi's match against Sabatini from the '91 Tokyo Final?. When they approach the net at the end of the match, Steffi barely shakes Sabatini's hand. I can understand Steffi being angry after losing to Sabatini, but I didn't really care for Steffi's attitude following that match. And that's coming from a big Steffi fan. Has anyone out there seen this particular video?. Any comments?.
Mike25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #990
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Mike, yeah we've actually talked about that "handshake" incident with Sabatini here before (I dug up the vid on youtube and put it up here). I think the general consensus is that while Steffi had her moments of unsportsmanship, in general she still conducted herself quite well for most of her career (she's had some bad losses where she remained very sportsmanlike after - I think some of her worst losses were in the French Open but she wasn't a sore loser in those matches).

She's had her bad days, but as some folks here have said, she's only been less-than-perfect in a few handshakes but she doesn't do that to diss her opponent or to disrespect them, and she doesn't speak ill of her opponents in post-match interviews.
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote