Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 65 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 9th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #961
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Agassi never says that Steffi hated tennis. In the book, when he tells her that he hated tennis, she just gives him look suggesting "doesn't everbody?" which was quite in contrast to the reponses he got all his life when he told people he hated tennis from a young age, starting from Kevin Costner to Brooke Sheilds. Everyone else responded, "You don't hate hate tennis, do you?" or something in that sense. The first volume of this thread should have some excerpts from the book including the above scene around the time the book was released.
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 9th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #962
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

I know Steffi wanted to play a match at Wimbledon with Martina with no points or scoring or any audience, just she and Martina playing tennis for tennis sake, that was her wish and I am not sure if it ever happened. I know that Martina loved that idea when she was asked to comment about it.
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #963
country flag Seleção82

Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of

My personal opinion is that she really loved tennis, loving it already as a small child. And she definately loves to win, of course.

I agree with those of you who say that she hated certain aspects of the pro tour when she said that she hated tennis. But I think that there is just one thing she really hated: the journalists. With anything else, the other burdensome aspects of being a tennis pro (constant travelling, jetlags, the pressure of expectations etc.) she was able to cope I think since she is a strong person, highly disciplined. And in the end of her career it were the injuries that plagued and demotivated her.
Seleção82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #964
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

+1 Seleçao can't agree more

Old poll (2009) from the German magazine Focus, but I just had a laugh after finally finding where Boris was...
http://www.focus.de/sport/mehrsport/...id_382460.html
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #965
country flag Seleção82

Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
Merci

Quote:
Old poll (2009) from the German magazine Focus, but I just had a laugh after finally finding where Boris was...

Well, it looks like a realistic poll about popularity in the sense of being liked and respected as a person. With the one exception of Timo Boll, I think that his fans were pushing him, #3 is way too high.
And it shows again that Boris isn't really popular here.
Seleção82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #966
country flag Stef-fan

I agree too. Prior to her induction to Hall of Fame or just after retirment, she was asked of how the tennis world should remember her and she said "as someone who loved the game and gave everything she could" which was very humble and striking of how she viewed herself.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #967
country flag tanaja

tanaja is just really nice tanaja is just really nice tanaja is just really nice tanaja is just really nice tanaja is just really nice tanaja is just really nice tanaja is just really nice tanaja is just really nice tanaja is just really nice tanaja is just really nice tanaja is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seleção82 View Post
My personal opinion is that she really loved tennis, loving it already as a small child. And she definately loves to win, of course.

I agree with those of you who say that she hated certain aspects of the pro tour when she said that she hated tennis. But I think that there is just one thing she really hated: the journalists. With anything else, the other burdensome aspects of being a tennis pro (constant travelling, jetlags, the pressure of expectations etc.) she was able to cope I think since she is a strong person, highly disciplined. And in the end of her career it were the injuries that plagued and demotivated her.
Fame is clearly a big part of tennis star's career. And I agree, that she hated fame (especially bad publicity).

But the way Andre has written it in Open... I have a feeling it was more than just this.

There are also injuries, loneliness (maybe also stresses).

Playing through pain was not enjoyable.
And Agassi said, that tennis was the most lonely sport (maybe she felt the same about loneliness).
tanaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #968
karen poon

karen poon has disabled reputation

http://www.gala.de/stars/interview/1...e-Sit-ups.html
karen poon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #969
country flag Stef-fan

Steffi sitting on the floor in the picture, although the image is not clear, looks like her.
http://steffi-graf.net/en/mrs-sporty...-5th-birthday/
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #970
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

What's shocking to me is to see Michael Stich in a better position than Boris.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
Steffi sitting on the floor in the picture, although the image is not clear, looks like her.
I think it's her, she's classy.
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #971
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

THANKS Karen and Stef-fan for the last links
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #972
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

I think Steffi always loved the playing and the training part of the sport. She just didn't like the rest of the tennis circus. She hated the attention of the media, she never wanted to be a star, she didn't like the business around tennis and she didn't like the gossipy locker room either.
Thanks for the links guys.
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #973
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

For a country where football is huge, I think it's amazing that Steffi beat out Franz Beckenbauer for the top spot. I think that it is Steffi's impressive resume along with the way she carries herself that just makes people hold her in such high regard. And indeed, it is quite surprising how low Boris is and that Stich actually topped him lol. Wonder how Stich is doing now...
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #974
country flag camilia

camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
What's she doing on the floor all by herself
camilia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #975
country flag camilia

camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bia View Post
What's shocking to me is to see Michael Stich in a better position than Boris.

+1
camilia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote