Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 64 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #946
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Djul - well I hope you're right that she loved the game, only the game, even if nothing else to do with it Seems pretty clear to me that she felt instantly liberated after she retired (although of course may have felt liberated from the apparatus of the game) - plus of course the whole unexpectedly falling madly in love improves anyone's mood

What I would reconstruct from various interviews is a trajectory something like this - quite different to Agassi if ending up at a similar point. She loved tennis as a kid and as a teenager ie moved up between the ranks very smoothly, everything came very easily etc.
1989 on - seachange. She definitely said this ie had loved it and ceased to love it as this time. Why? Already on the tour for years and fed up, probably burned out, feeling a lot of pressure, thinking of abandoning tennis for track (kind of wish she would have done that - would have been epic), growing up and starting to realize there might be more to life (in tandem with NY photographer boyfriend who was older, more a person of the world, lots of new adventures with him no doubt including the since lifelong interest in photography), lots of conflict with Slozil in part apparently over control issues re her offcourt life/boyfriend & fed no doubt by some on court losses. This was the phase of painting her bedroom black and spending days there if I recall. (Agassi also did this....) I would say she was probably actually depressed at this time. (And the parental drama on top of all that..)
1992ish - got her act together. Slozil out and Heinz in and much more accepting of her as a grown up with other interests as well as a better tennis coach (imho - I think he did a great job with her); steady boyfriend in Bartels who was more compatible with tennis than the NY guy; refocused on tennis as a fixed term commitment after which she could get on and have the life she wanted - that is she could see the end at the light of the tunnel and identify it as a short term deal worth doing as well as she possibly could; more secure about herself, appearance etc.
Heidi said later she really only grew up 1998 or so - long adolescence as Agassi again pointed out being common to many players due to nature of their existence.
1999 - a lot of rapid fire grown up decisions about what she wanted to do with her life. Bartels and tennis out; Agassi in. Off to the races....
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 6th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #947
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

I love your summary (the end lol).
I like it even more, as you're sayin she loved it (tennis), and get to dislike it, mostly because of off court's reasons. And probably that's what she meant, while sayin "don't we hate it all" (us tennis pro, for those (off court) reasons).
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #948
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
She never played to break records. She played for the love of the game (she reminds me of Nadal (or Nadal of her) who quite never speaks (only when asked) about records and numbers, but who prefers to speak about improving his game, fighting on court, etc...).
Oh it's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks this!
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #949
country flag camilia

camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of

Quote:
@julie : I understand why you think this way

But i am still convinced (sorry lol) she loved the game, only the game, itself (!)
She stopped while she could have break THE record, because she felt she wouldn't be 100% comitted (no more will) to it, isn't it a sort of proof.
So the "sick of tennis" things, to me are more about what tennis brings negative to her, you know journalists etc...

By the way...I, myself, hate my job (and i am not kidding at all)
+1 How can anybody love everything about their jobs

You could tell that Steffi was passionate about playing tennis, you could feel it in the court. I totally get her. I'm not a tennis player but as a teacher I love teaching itself, when I'm in the classroom I feel I'm having the time of my life but when it comes to other things I have to do because I'm a teacher I wish I had another job!
camilia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #950
country flag camilia

camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of

Quote:
@julie : I understand why you think this way

But i am still convinced (sorry lol) she loved the game, only the game, itself (!)
She stopped while she could have break THE record, because she felt she wouldn't be 100% comitted (no more will) to it, isn't it a sort of proof.
So the "sick of tennis" things, to me are more about what tennis brings negative to her, you know journalists etc...

By the way...I, myself, hate my job (and i am not kidding at all)
What do you hate about your job btw?
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #951
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by camilia View Post
What do you hate about your job btw?
I work in a bank, the administrative department, nobobdy really knows what I am really doing because if they ask my answer is = "yeah ...whatever", I am their Chandler Bing.
I hate everything, the job itself, numbers, faxes, figures, phone calls, some (annoying and impolite)costumers,... actually when I think about my job the only positive thing is my colleagues (as we share the pain )
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #952
country flag camilia

Quote:
I work in a bank, the administrative department, nobobdy really knows what I am really doing because if they ask my answer is = "yeah ...whatever", I am their Chandler Bing.
I hate everything, the job itself, numbers, faxes, figures, phone calls, some (annoying and impolite)costumers,... actually when I think about my job the only positive thing is my colleagues (as we share the pain )
You are so funny.

Would you like to trade jobs with me? but you have to kiss your social life goodbye cuz you'll be doing school related stuff after you go back home and during the weekend

But you are right those costumers can be so rude and cruel, I see them when I go to the bank
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #953
country flag MistyGrey

MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hear you! but a lot of people hate their jobs... I hated my job, and then I decided to do something about it.. So I went back to Uni and started my masters.. Now I hate it even more than that job of mine! Exams, assignments, projects blah bla after 3 years of work!
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #954
country flag djul14

You know if I was selling flowers, I am pretty sure costumers would be more pleasants, but when it's about money you know sometimes they have a look at their account, then look back at you sort of "YOU stole my money"
I am so bored at work, you can't imagine, my colleagues like it, costumers can tell me the worst things, I still answer "sure" "you re right", never argue, with a smile so that they just hate me a little bit more.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #955
country flag camilia

You should see some of the students and parents we have to deal with but on the other hand the majority are just great
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #956
country flag camilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyGrey View Post
I hear you! but a lot of people hate their jobs... I hated my job, and then I decided to do something about it.. So I went back to Uni and started my masters.. Now I hate it even more than that job of mine! Exams, assignments, projects blah bla after 3 years of work!
I understand your pain! There are sometimes I regret going back to uni but I think I'd enjoy it more if I didn't have to work too!

I guess nobody can be completely happy
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #957
country flag djul14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyGrey View Post
sorry but

I decided too to do something, I will begin in septmeber, parallel to my job, a 1year training (i don't know if it's the exact word), to work with...kids
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 04:35 AM   #958
country flag 4times

4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice

Quote:

Love that!
4times is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #959
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation

New interview with SMG includes this on why she played - which strikes me as entirely accurate. Nothing about how she played because she really loved tennis

"I've always driven was by the will to number 1, and the best at what I do."

I think she recognized (after some early 20s struggle) that even if she didn't love tennis ,
her psychological make up compelled her to do what she had such a talent for as well as she could...
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #960
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

julie lol do you have the excerpt in Andre's book about Steffi hating tennis? I'm quite interested to read it (but not interested enough to buy the book lol). Somehow I recall reading about how Steffi did love tennis, and love hitting the perfect shot, whether it was in a pro match situation or just in practice.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere years ago that she and Martina N. got to play in Wimbledon once as just a "friendly" game (not an exhibition). She was asked who won that match and she wouldn't disclose it. If this is indeed something that happened - and I didn't just dream up reading about it - then I would think there is no way she couldn't love tennis in its purest form and be involved in such a friendly match.

(Can anyone confirm if this friendly match did happen???)
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote