Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 59 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 21st, 2010, 12:44 PM   #871
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

The coffee was probably included in the question and Steffi answered. I doubt she wanted to show that Andre is a "bad" husband
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 21st, 2010, 02:00 PM   #872
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4times View Post
Thanks Bia. Love the 'cooking, washing, ironing' bit. Makes you feel closer to her somehow. So what if she has around a $100 mn more than you, she still does the same things we do lol
There was an article on Andre Agassi in SI from Gary Smith in 2006 where he mentions how they don't have a cook or a maid or a helper at home and how Andre made a good steak for him from the scratch all by himself.
Also, when Andre retired in 2006, someone asked him if Steffi will come back, he said something of the effect that if it happens, it means that he is not helping her enough at home with cleaning dishes or regular chores.
Both above instances just show how they lead a pretty normal life even when they have larger than life images and millions in the bank.
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 07:43 PM   #873
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by irma View Post
The coffee was probably included in the question and Steffi answered. I doubt she wanted to show that Andre is a "bad" husband
That's right. I think Steffi's answer was just for fun. Then, you know, waking up earlier than Andre it's just phisical impossible for him to do it.
I have to say that I prefer to read the interviews in their original version, when possible. Often they sound different when translated. In this case the author tend to summarize too much, especially the questions.
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 09:18 PM   #874
country flag dolldot2

dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice

The ten questions
1.What kind of journey was your life after tennis?
2.What do you think about today's tennis?
3.Have you ever thought about a comeback?
4.How about coaching?
5.How did you get to your charity work?
6.Will your social committment drive you to a political engagement?
7.How hard is it to be parents?
8.What's your approach to the upbringing of your children?
9.How is life as a couple being stars?
10.Any regrets?

Responses Andre

1) " I learned to love everything that I hated . To seek my true identity. To resist temptations , so many . I learned to forgive and forgive . This was my journey, painful evolution .

2) "I like it, this court. You could never imagine to see them hit like hit ? Rebounds so high , spin so aggressive? patience if he is injured . "

3) " It's as if I had already done. I had my second chance , and I am grateful to have had. "

4 ) "More than anything the Davis Cup . You could do one day captain , but not today . Then Patrick McEnroe is doing a good job. "

5) "I started in '94 . The key word is " change. " Changing lives. Do good . give everyone a better education, fighting for future generations. This was the beginning. "

6) " Absolutely not . The politicians have another agenda , other issues. They are accustomed to act on it. I want to do something. A . This is my focus, and I want to do it well . "

7) " Of course it's difficult. It has nothing to do to be famous or not. I do not know who his father is , they should tell the guys . I try to be every day. to learn. Of course I play with them. as long as possible . The point, however , is whether you care or not. You see the world through their eyes , which are very different from yours . And you know what they say. "

8) " We define success for me was the first to win the tournament , now is not make mistakes with my children . must be what they want, these are our expectations. "

9) " Steffi is my German engineer . She taught me organization , in addition to food and German car . "

10) " And what might that be? I think Medvedev , to the final of Roland Garros , perhaps the best match of my life and I always return to the humor ... but do not write another book . "

Am trying to locate bild de frau full interview but proving a tad difficult

Last edited by dolldot2 : Jul 21st, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
dolldot2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM   #875
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Did you see this question on John Wertheim's mailbag?

"I find it a little disturbing that Monica Seles' name rarely comes up in the list of all-time greats and meanwhile people like your colleagues are so quick to anoint Steffi. If that incident had not happened to Monica, Steffi would never have surpassed Martina/Chris in total majors. I do see your point about Serena, but I can't see the case for Steffi. Monica exploited that slice backhand the same way Rafa does to Roger. You can't be GOAT if you can't beat your main rival while both of you are in your primes."

While a lot of people still think of Graf as the GOAT or one of the greatest, this reasoning is also why a lot of people easily dismiss Steffi Graf in GOAT discussions. But if we are to follow this argument, Evert should't be in the GOAT discussion either. She lost to Navratilova 13 times in a row. Graf never lost to Seles more than twice in a row in Seles' prime. I guess Seles-Graf in 1991-1992 was similar to Navratilova-Evert in 1983-1984.
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:37 AM   #876
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Lol, first the person understands how he (SI author) can (already) consider Serena the GOAT.
- Then comparing Rafa/Roger with Steffi/Monica is ridiculous, as Rafa leads 14-7 in their meetings, Monica never leaded in her head to head with Steffi, or perhaps 1more victory on HER best surface, clay (while they only played once on Steffi's best surface, grass).
- "Graf never lost to Seles more than twice in a row in Seles' prime", thank you.
I don't understand why people still think Seles dominated outrageously Graf ? Probably because a lot of people only think about the FO, i don't know, or i know, because some of them want to belittle Steefi's accomplishments.
- Finally this person seems to think that Steffi's prime was in 1990-91-92, he/she is probably not aware about late 80's...

People are so prompt to forget the Golden Slam, although it's quite impossible to do it, ask Roger the goat.
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:58 AM   #877
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sick of the Seles-Graf saga, I really am. When Monica came back she was only 21, she had all the time to show her greatness. Steffi had the worst moment of her career between '90 and '92, often loosing before finals. What would have happened if was Steffi to get stabbed? I guess she would have been back in three or four months and no one would ever talk about that incident later.
Hey dolldot, did you go to a full immersion course of italian? Some parts are good and understandable, others are not so much.

Last edited by bia : Jul 22nd, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 10:11 AM   #878
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Even if Steffi ended her career with "only" 14 or 15 Slams, which I think would have been highly likely (she had 11 before the stabbing), you'd still have to consider her one of the all time greats. She has a Golden Slam, won each Slam at least twice, defended each Slam the first time she won them, and was ranked #1 for a total of 190 weeks (186 weeks plus another 4 weeks in August 1991) before losing it fully to Monica.
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM   #879
country flag dolldot2

dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bia View Post
I'm sick of the Seles-Graf saga, I really am. When Monica came back she was only 21, she had all the time to show her greatness. Steffi had the worst moment of her career between '90 and '92, often loosing before finals. What would have happened if was Steffi to get stabbed? I guess she would have been back in three or four months and no one would ever talk about that incident later.
Hey dolldot, did you go to a full immersion course of italian? Some parts are good and understandable, others are not so much.
Nope Bia I translated it through google so am sure yours would be much better
dolldot2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 02:54 PM   #880
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

So Federer shouldn't be in the discussion too despite all his slams and on all surfaces? That's what this person says.

It's the "Sampras results in roland garros are better then Fed's because he didn't lose in the final" theory. I thought that thread on mtf was just a joke, but apparently some fools really believe it!
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 04:10 PM   #881
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by irma View Post
So Federer shouldn't be in the discussion too despite all his slams and on all surfaces? That's what this person says.

It's the "Sampras results in roland garros are better then Fed's because he didn't lose in the final" theory. I thought that thread on mtf was just a joke, but apparently some fools really believe it!
+1 , a lot of people are thinking this way.
Sometimes just forget about the numbers. I prefer Rafa to Roger, but despite it and his lead at their H2H I would never pretend Rafa being a better tennis player than Roger. He "only" managed to find the way to beat Federer, which is a wonderful accomplishement, but it doesn't mean he is the better player, he's better in some parts of the games, but Roger has more abilities.
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 05:50 PM   #882
country flag bia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolldot2 View Post
Nope Bia I translated it through google so am sure yours would be much better
Yes, I realized that later. You know, usually the google translater is not so understandable. In this case some parts are good. So, I can keep those parts and try to correct incoprehensible ones.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 06:10 PM   #883
country flag bia

Here's Andre's part of the interview.

The ten questions
1.What kind of journey was your life after tennis?
2.What do you think about today's tennis?
3.Have you ever thought about a comeback?
4.How about coaching?
5.How did you get to your charity work?
6.Will your social committment drive you to a political engagement?
7.How hard is it to be parents?
8.What's your approach to the upbringing of your children?
9.How is life as a couple being stars?
10.Any regrets?

Andre's answers
1.I've learned to love everything I used to hate. To seek my real identity. To stay away from temptations, many temptations. I've learn to forgive and to forgive myself. This was my journey, a painful process.
2.I like to watch it. Could you ever immagine to see them to hit like that? Such high bounces, aggressive spins. Never mind then, if they get injured.
3.I feel like I already did it. I had my second chance and I'm grateful for that.
4.I might consider the Davis Cup. I could be captain one day, but not that soon. Then, Patrick McEnroe is doing a great job.
5.I started in '94. The key word is "change". Changing lives. Doing good to others. Giving a better education to everyone fighting for future generations. This was the beginning
6.Absolutely not. Politicians have a different agenda,different issues. They use to take care of everything. I want to do one thing, only one. This is my focus and I want to do it well.
7.Of course it's tough. And it has nothing to do with being famous or not. I don't know what kind of father I am, you should ask the kids. I try to be a father everyday, I try to learn. Sure, I do play with them, as much as I can. The point, however, is whether you care or not. You have to see the world through their eyes, wich are different from yours. And to understand what they say to you.
8.What's the definition of success: to me, it used to be winning a toernament, today is not making mistakes with my children. They have to be whatever they want to, these are our expectations.
9.Steffi is my german engineer. She tought me organization, in addiction to food and the german car.(I'm not sure about what he means here in the italian version).
10.What regrets could I have? I think of Medvedev and that Roland Garros final, maybe the best match of my life, and I get soon in a good mood...anyway, I won't write another book.

Last edited by bia : Jul 22nd, 2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:03 PM   #884
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Looks like Steffi and Agassi will be playing with WTT on Nov 15th in Washington DC for Elton John Aids Foundation.
http://www.wtt.com/page.aspx?article_id=11
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:15 AM   #885
country flag 4times

4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice

I might consider the Davis Cup. I could be captain one day, but not that soon. - Interesting
4times is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote