Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 58 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #856
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4times View Post
Can't seem to believe the discussions around Serena and 'the greatest' argument. While the general sentiment seems to be that she is not, can't understand why the argument has come up in the first place at 13 slams! Could it be because she is American?

I don't recall similar discussions in '95 (when Stef reached 18) or '96 (when the number turned to 21).

Could it be because she was so disliked talking about her place in history? But I don't see Serena contributing to this argument either.
Actually I think people started talking about Steffi possibly being the GOAT when she tied Martina and Chris at 18. An article was written in Tennis magazine in early or mid 1996 that was entitled "Why Graf is the Greatest". At that point she had 18 as well since I don't think the article was written after she won her 19th Slam.

As for Serena being the GOAT, to be fair, John Wertheim was asked a question about Serena's legacy years ago - she had about 8 or 9 slams at the time - and John said if Serena wins a few more majors, she would be a serious contender for GOAT due to the (supposed) higher level of competition now. So 4 or 5 slam wins later, John Wertheim simply sticks to his personal criteria.

And at the end of the day, that really is what all these debates boil down to: personal criteria. Some people give more weight to overall mastery of tennis in singles and doubles, some consistency, some all-surface domination, some total # of slams, some level of competition, and some best-versus-best scenarios.
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #857
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
Steffi never needed any of this when she was young or in later years as she gave very little for the media to talk about. If there was one player whose career did not need media's help, Steffi will be the first on that list.
Yeah. I don't think she wanted it either. And up until now she still doesn't get bothered with discussions on her records or her place in history. Which I truly admire.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #858
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
General public's interest in women's tennis is so low these days compared to when Steffi was playing. I guess one way the media can create the interest is by creating hype and saying 'hey, we have the best ever playing, you need to watch her playing' and partly could be that American tennis needs recognition really bad. Steffi never needed any of this when she was young or in later years as she gave very little for the media to talk about. If there was one player whose career did not need media's help, Steffi will be the first on that list.
I totally agree.
I tried to post the translation of the italian interview earlier today, but as I clicked on the submit reply I was logged out. I don' know why, maybe there is a time limit to write a message, it took me more than one hour. I'll try again.
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #859
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Quote:
General public's interest in women's tennis is so low these days compared to when Steffi was playing. I guess one way the media can create the interest is by creating hype and saying 'hey, we have the best ever playing, you need to watch her playing' and partly could be that American tennis needs recognition really bad. Steffi never needed any of this when she was young or in later years as she gave very little for the media to talk about. If there was one player whose career did not need media's help, Steffi will be the first on that list.
Absolutely! Tennis never be the same since Steffi's retirement. As a indian,we know that white people negletes blacks in goat list (for ex: cricket,chess...etc! even we have great champs in those sport). and we know that whites also hates whites and the only Americans always wants to be no.1 ,even there is no.1 in out of america. I mean if Steffi is not a german,then every tennis writer called her GOAT and Frank Deford also writes greatly about Graf.

But we know she is German and never forget her national flag even after her retirement or even in exhibition matches. Interestingly Steffi never asks for GOAT title like Navratilova. Steffi never cares those lists and she still German even she married an iranian-american Agassi and living in america.

Also consider my points here:-

1) In 1996, The best indian sport writer wrote an article in Hindu newspaper(The Sportstar magazine is a publication of Hindu in India) with title: "Graf greatest of all"?. In this article he called her GOAT in not only in tennis,but all sports.

2)At wimbledon times, She got many replies as GOAT in Tennis magazine.

3)There are many discussions in 1996.Even Martina confirmed Graf as best all-rounder of all time.

4) Graf also voted as "Most favourite tennis player in the world" .There she got more votes than Pete Sampras. (At present even beauty Sharapova never near to Federer's fan count).

5) I read a tons of times Steffi as GOAT.

* We all know Steve Flink's tennis book is the no.1 in all tennis history books. There he selected Steffi as No.1 and Martina as No.2.
*In 1999 Graf voted as GOAT tennis player by tennis experts panel.
* Voted GOAT womens player in all ball sports. (where she got more than double of 2nd persona's votes)

-> Don't care Serena GOAT matter now.
* Henin is greater than Serena even she didn't won a title at wimbledon.

* According to my knowledge, Serena believed that Graf is greatest and Martina,Connoly next in her list!!!

*Try to collect old articles and polls my friends,

How are you djul14,jessyka,selesao82,irma,lynz?
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #860
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg View Post
Does anybody have the full interview from www.bildderfrau.de? It doesn't seem to be available on the website.
No, sorry. But welcome
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #861
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Here's Steffi's part, I will try to post Andre's part in the next days.

COLLEGE AGASSI & GRAF LIFE OVER THE NET

Yestarday they used to win and take, today they're giving backand they put their face in the name of children. In Hamburg Steffi created a hospital, in Las Vegas Andre has a school where kids learn reading and writing. The two former champions got sponsors to support them. Here's their life after tennis. By Paolo Rossi

The ten questions
1.What kind of journey was your life after tennis?
2.What do you think about today's tennis?
3.Have you ever thought about a comeback?
4.How about coaching?
5.How did you get to your charity work?
6.Will your social committment drive you to a political engagement?
7.How hard is it to be parents?
8.What's your approach to the upbringing of your children?
9.How is life as a couple being stars?
10.Any regrets?
Steffi's answers
1.It's been an incredible journey. So many experiences, memories, up and downs. I've had so much: looking back I've always the same feelings,twenty years later: lucky, I've been very lucky.
2.I like to watch matches. Mine was a different tennis: I like more a tennis of strategies, with different styles, variation of game. You see Serena, she's so powerful...no, I feel from a different era.
3.Never.I retired at 30. That was it, I never looked back. Clijsters and Henin? Different stories, different personalities. Then, I never loved the limelight. You choose to be who you are, I like a low profile.
4.I've been asked to follow some girls who came in the USA. I gave my experience, but it would be to much for me. I choose my family, I know what my limits are.
5.You just look what happens around you with your eyes, you see it on TV. In Hamburg we have a hospital for afghan children. We fight to keep them together, In Kosovo it's the same: children are all equal, no matter where they come from: East, Asia or Africa.
6.No way. I'm already very busy.
7.It's a different challange, you need to organize your time: cooking, washing, ironing.Everything must be fixed, up to my hairdressing. Only joking, time is never enough.
8.It's important they (the kids) go on studing. I like them to know what Andre and I are doing for other children, we talk about it. We don't show them our trophies. I hope I will be able to bring them up in the best way.
9.I live my family a lot. My mom and my brother live here, we are very close. Andre and I are very much an item. If he brings me my coffee in bed? I wake up much earlier than him.
10. I'm aware about my accomplishment, but records and titles were never in my mind. I went out there and tried to give my best, that's it. No regrets.

Last edited by bia : Jul 20th, 2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #862
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

THANKS Bia for the translation (hard work)

Quote:
10.Any regrets?
10. I'm aware about my accomplishment, but records and titles were never in my mind. I went out there and tried to give my best, that's it. No regrets.
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #863
country flag dolldot2

dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bia View Post
Here's Steffi's part, I will try to post Andre's part in the next days.

COLLEGE AGASSI & GRAF LIFE OVER THE NET

Yestarday they used to win and take, today they're giving backand they put their face in the name of children. In Hamburg Steffi created a hospital, in Las Vegas Andre has a school where kids learn reading and writing. The two former champions got sponsors to support them. Here's their life after tennis. By Paolo Rossi

The ten questions
1.What kind of journey was your life after tennis?
2.What do you think about today's tennis?
3.Have you ever thought about a comeback?
4.How about coaching?
5.How did you get to your charity work?
6.Will your social committment drive you to a political engagement?
7.How hard is it to be parents?
8.What's your approach to the upbringing of your children?
9.How is life as a couple being stars?
10.Any regrets?
Steffi's answers
1.It's been an incredible journey. So many experiences, memories, up and downs. I've had so much: looking back I've always the same feelings,twenty years later: lucky, I've been very lucky.
2.I like to watch matches. Mine was a different tennis: I like more a tennis of strategies, with different styles, variation of game. You see Serena, she's so powerful...no, I feel from a different era.
3.Never.I retired at 30. That was it, I never looked back. Clijsters and Henin? Different stories, different personalities. Then, I never loved the limelight. You choose to be who you are, I like a low profile.
4.I've been asked to follow some girls who came in the USA. I gave my experience, but it would be to much for me. I choose my family, I know what my limits are.
5.You just look what happens around you with your eyes, you see it on TV. In Hamburg we have a hospital for afghan children. We fight to keep them together, In Kosovo it's the same: children are all equal, no matter where they come from: East, Asia or Africa.
6.No way. I'm already very busy.
7.It's a different challange, you need to organize your time: cooking, washing, ironing.Everything must be fixed, up to my hairdressing. Only joking, time is never enough.
8.It's important they (the kids) go on studing. I like them to know what Andre and I are doing for other children, we talk about it. We don't show them our trophies. I hope I will be able to bring them up in the best way.
9.I live my family a lot. My mom and my brother live here, we are very close. Andre and I are very much an item. If he brings me my coffee in bed? I wake up much earlier than him.
Thanks for Translation question 9 I did not get what she meant in the last bit
dolldot2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 12:42 AM   #864
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Thanks Bia for the hardwork.
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 06:09 AM   #865
country flag 4times

4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice

Thanks Bia. Love the 'cooking, washing, ironing' bit. Makes you feel closer to her somehow. So what if she has around a $100 mn more than you, she still does the same things we do lol
4times is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 06:20 AM   #866
country flag XTN

Thanks bia for the translation!
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 06:22 AM   #867
country flag XTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4times View Post
Thanks Bia. Love the 'cooking, washing, ironing' bit. Makes you feel closer to her somehow. So what if she has around a $100 mn more than you, she still does the same things we do lol
LOL indeed! Actually I hate ironing - I can iron my own clothers perfectly - so I normally get someone else to do my ironing for me. So in fact Steffi actually does more stuff than I do LOL.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 09:19 AM   #868
country flag dolldot2

dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice dolldot2 is just really nice

Does anyone know what she meant by question 9 the last bit?
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:07 AM   #869
country flag bia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolldot2 View Post
Does anyone know what she meant by question 9 the last bit?
Do you mean the part of the coffee in bed? She's saying he doesn't bring her coffee in the morning in bed because usually when she wakes up he's still sleeping.
Anyway, I wonder how the original english version would sound. I bet it's different.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:29 AM   #870
country flag dolldot2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bia View Post
Do you mean the part of the coffee in bed? She's saying he doesn't bring her coffee in the morning in bed because usually when she wakes up he's still sleeping.
Anyway, I wonder how the original english version would sound. I bet it's different.
Hi Bia,

LOL

Yeah i didnt quite get that bit but she said we are an item however he is not very gud at bringing me coffee she should be saying nice things