Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 55 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 9th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #811
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post

@Irma : I didn't know about Tony Goddsick, there are a lot of things I still don't know
That's why Monica and Mary Joe became best friends in the second half of the nineties!

But again if Mary Joe is critical about Steffi's game these days. Then what are her thoughts about her own game?
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 9th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #812
country flag Lynz

Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice

Hello from the Netherlands,
Of course this week it has been unusually warm,next week it will be cooler,but we will be in Spain.
Too bad about the German semi. They didnt look like the same team without Muller. Everyone here looking forward to Sun. final. Funny thing is if Netherland wins it will be interesting that we are in Spain. I guess if Netherlands wins we shouldn't wear orange there.

MJ has been too much w/Shriver. Someone gave me a copy of Shriver's book a long time ago, it was as tacky and tasteless as she is. I remember a passage where she actually was proud of telling off Peter Graf after she had lost to Steffi by reminding him who won the war. A friend of mine that should know since she worked a lot on the tour says that Shriver is the type that has to be the center of attention, if people aren't paying her enough attention, she demands that they do by being loud and pushy. That is the same impression that I had of her when I would see her around as well.

Navratilova reminds me of Becker, doesn't really think about others before she runs her mouth to the press. And Navratilova wants of course to be thought of as the GOAT.

Evert goes how the wind blows with public comments.But Evert I think knows that Graf was the best when she said , Navratilova had the physical game and she(Evert)had the mental game but Steffi had both. That was the most honest and truthfull comment she has ever made.

Mary Carillo used to be less political and more honest in her views. She was one of the few American commentators that always admired Steffi and publicly backed her.

I also wonder if all the american retired women players look at Steffi's endorsements and have to be somewhat jealous because they don't have her presence to make money that way.

Last edited by Lynz : Jul 9th, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Lynz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #813
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by irma View Post
That's why Monica and Mary Joe became best friends in the second half of the nineties!

But again if Mary Joe is critical about Steffi's game these days. Then what are her thoughts about her own game?
Ok i see

At least Navratilova can be critical about someone's game, but MJF please --> http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/h...8~2349,00.html

I totally agree with you, Lynz, about Navratilova/Becker, that's a good comparison. I don't think they are mean at all, they just like to speak so much, even if nobody asked them to, they just need to ! And then think about what they said...after, LoL. They like the spotlights.

Last edited by djul14 : Jul 9th, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #814
country flag blauundweiss

blauundweiss is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynz View Post
Hello from the Netherlands,
Of course this week it has been unusually warm,next week it will be cooler,but we will be in Spain.
Too bad about the German semi. They didnt look like the same team without Muller. Everyone here looking forward to Sun. final. Funny thing is if Netherland wins it will be interesting that we are in Spain. I guess if Netherlands wins we shouldn't wear orange there.

My pick would to stay in the Netherlands until Sunday---- or Monday to recover from celebration. But this goes against the knowing of our beloved, or should I say now dreaded, Paul Oktopus.

Did a Paulisch creature in the tennis world ever exist?
blauundweiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #815
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Lol at Paul Oktopus, he is world famous now, he is a trending topic on twitter.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #816
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Lol at Paul Oktopus, he is world famous now, he is a trending topic on twitter.
Lol Paul just predicted Spain to beat the Netherlands and Germany to beat Uruguay. If these turn out correct, Paul will have a perfect prediction record in the WC. The odds of perfecting all those predictions will have been something like 1 out 256 i think. Awesome!
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #817
country flag djul14

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTN View Post
Lol Paul just predicted Spain to beat the Netherlands and Germany to beat Uruguay. If these turn out correct, Paul will have a perfect prediction record in the WC. The odds of perfecting all those predictions will have been something like 1 out 256 i think. Awesome!
Paul has to be right, I've bet online
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #818
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Thought I will post this here as well (posted it in the conversation about Serena being th GOAT and the best athelete ever. This is from old Amy Cotrell google group, courtesy of Julie Hardwick. Interesting that Andre was after her from early 90's but never knew about her 800m potential till the beach date.

Steffi Should be the Bo Jackson of Tennis
By Peter Bodo
"Tennis" Magazine
February 1990

As a former used-car salesman, Peter Graf knows the value of playing down
the speed and performance of any given vehicle and stressing its reliability
and durability. Thus, it's hardly surprising that Graf also is coy about the
exact speed of his daughter, Steffi.

About three years ago, when Steffi was seventeen, Peter Graf had her clocked
in the 800-meter run. When he is asked to reveal her time, he will only
smile benignly and say, "Just two or three seconds over two minutes. It was
anyway a good time."

In fact, Graf's time was better than the German junior girl's record in the
event. The women's world record for the 800-meter is 1:53:28. Furthermore,
Graf runs the 100-meter dash in under 12 seconds. Graf worked out in 1988
with a former German male 400-meter champion, who agreed that Peter's girl
runs on high octane.

Graf is so fast that shortly after the U.S.Open 1988, she contemplated
giving up tennis and taking up a career in track. That definitely would have
been a mistake. She should continue to play tennis and run track as well.

If Bo Jackson knows baseball and football and if Deion "Prime Time" Sanders
can hit a home run in the major leagues and a return a punt in the NFL for a
touchdown in the same week, surely Steffi can run track. Or play basketball.
Or swim, or pole vault, or throw a hammer or mud wrestle with the best of
them. Much as we love to have her around, Graf is too good an athlete to
"just" play tennis.

Unexploited: The crazy part of this idea is that Graf not only could
practice another sport at the world-class level, but perhaps should do so.

The evidence suggests that a great deal of Graf's athletic potential is
going unexploited. Her matches consistently last well under an hour. In the
1989 U.S. Open, Graf beat top 50 player Terry Phelps in 37 minutes in the
third round. Helena Sukova got just two games off Graf in the quarterfinals.
After the rout, Graf was seen on Court No. 27 practicing.

Simple statistics such as match times only begin to tell the story. After
Graf demolished Sukova 6-4, 6-4 in the final of the Australian Open a year
ago, I asked Graf how many sets she could have played at the same level
before she was exhausted. "I'm not sure," she replied, "but maybe six or
seven." Think about it: Graf could be playing not best-of-three but
best-of-13-set matches.

The nature of tennis would allow the Graf train to run on a parallel track.
Should she decide to compete at a world-class level in another sport, Graf
ought to receive a dispensation from the rules that require her to play in
minimum number of sanctioned tournaments.

Tennis has no concentrated season for early summer, when the French Open and
Wimbledon are played with an interim of only two weeks. Tennis players have
no team obligations to complicate their schedule or training priorities.
Courts exist almost everywhere, and this is the age of the coach cum hitting
partner.

Graf could dominate the game while playing only the Grand Slam tournaments
and as little as one tune-up even before each of those. That's a grand total
of 12 weeks. Add one week of concentrated practice between tune up and the
grand-slam event, and the grand total is only 16 weeks - one-third of the
year. As an alternative , Graf should simply skip the Australian Open or
U.S. Open, giving her roughly six months away form tennis either at the
beginning or at the end of the year.

Graf would have to hit tennis balls even when she is concentrating on
another sport. But keeping an eye in would not be as difficult as keeping
her competitive instincts honed. After all, Jackson and Sanders have far
more difficult problems to face, from the physical punishment of football to
the exhaustive schedule of baseball.

It has been more than two years since Graf toyed with the idea of running
track, but it isn't too late yet. At 20, Graf is not yet at her physical
peak, but she is at the summit of her profession. Anything is possible.

Well, almost anything.

No. Steffi does not know synchronized swimming.
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #819
country flag djul14

@Stef-Fan : that's the article I was refering to in the other thread about, but I couldn't find it again but I knew it existed lol
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #820
country flag 4times

4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice

Quote:

I totally agree with you, Lynz, about Navratilova/Becker, that's a good comparison. I don't think they are mean at all, they just like to speak so much, even if nobody asked them to, they just need to ! And then think about what they said...after, LoL. They like the spotlights.

Someone else who likes the spotlight and misses performing in front of large crowds? Mr Agassi.

If it weren't for his wife, I think we would have seen/ heard a whole lot more from him as well as pictures of children etc.
4times is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #821
country flag djul14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4times View Post
Someone else who likes the spotlight and misses performing in front of large crowds? Mr Agassi.

If it weren't for his wife, I think we would have seen/ heard a whole lot more from him as well as pictures of children etc.
Yes, but he says a little bit less stupid things than Becker, no ? And i don't know, do we see him before at every party, gala, tv show like Boris ? I am not sure.
Boris has his own tv
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #822
country flag 4times

4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice

Quote:
Yes, but he says a little bit less stupid things than Becker, no ? And i don't know, do we see him before at every party, gala, tv show like Boris ? I am not sure.
Boris has his own tv
Agree, sort off. Turning a blind eye (and a deaf ear) to H4H. The tipping thing shouldn't have been in his book in the first place, don't know why steffi did not veto it.

But yea, Nav and Becker do seem to have a pretty decent monopoly of making some absurd public statements. And both seem to like talking about Stef. Becker's is more humouress (not sure if stef and AA agree) with his 'she's so sexy' and 'everyone in the men's locker room had a thing for her' or words to that effect.

Just beleive that if it was brooke and agassi still together for instance, we'd have a whole lot more pictures and interviews to share around and a pretty good idea of what their kids look like at this very minute.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #823
country flag djul14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4times View Post
Agree, sort off. Turning a blind eye (and a deaf ear) to H4H. The tipping thing shouldn't have been in his book in the first place, don't know why steffi did not veto it.

But yea, Nav and Becker do seem to have a pretty decent monopoly of making some absurd public statements. And both seem to like talking about Stef. Becker's is more humouress (not sure if stef and AA agree) with his 'she's so sexy' and 'everyone in the men's locker room had a thing for her' or words to that effect.

Just beleive that if it was brooke and agassi still together for instance, we'd have a whole lot more pictures and interviews to share around and a pretty good idea of what their kids look like at this very minute.
Lol why would she have veto this small story, he was stupid at the H4H but she couldn't avoid that

Boris says a lot of stupid things but I've never heard him saiying something negative about Steffi, on the contrary
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #824
country flag 4times

Quote:

Boris says a lot of stupid things but I've never heard him saiying something negative about Steffi, on the contrary

Agree
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #825
country flag Warriorroger

Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Lol why would she have veto this small story, he was stupid at the H4H but she couldn't avoid that

Of course he did, why is that bad, no one is perfect, I am a big fan of Steffi, but in the past, sometimes I thought she was a sore loser, most great champions are, that's why they look immortal on court. He was mad at her in 1992 at the Hopman Cup for not being better prepared during the match against former Czechoslovakia. Later turned out she was really ill and had to skip the Australian Open
Warriorroger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote