Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 54 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 8th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #796
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorroger View Post
Navratilova great player, insecure, bitchy personality. It she who mocked that she and Steffi were friends at the Haiti event. She, Pma Shriver, Mary Joe Fernandez, should go on a trip and never return: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...ew-documentary
Well I guess this isn't really surprising. Navratilova has always been very vocal and opinionated. I can understand the point she was making though, but I guess if I was her, I would have said it differently. Coz when you say you don't like or dislike someone, that actually comes off as being closer to dislike than to like. (Or maybe there really is/was some dislike there, and she just doesn't want to admit it openly.)

I've heard this before about Martina mocking Steffi during H4H, but at which point did she do it and how? (Sorry if this was already answered before.)
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 8th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #797
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

When Steffi and Nav were playing each other slamfinals Steffi was still a teenager (or 20), while Nav was over 30. Normally 17/18 year old girls don't hang around 30 year old people. I never understood why it should have been different on the wta tour.
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #798
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think it should be different in the wta tour, irma. In fact, with Graf being overprotected by her father and being incredibly shy, she would have definitely had a lot more difficulty to build friendships with other people. I just find the phrasing of "i don't like or dislike a person" to be an interesting combination of words, to say the least. Of course, the pitfall for me here is that I am applying my own context to it, which may very well be a different context for other people, including Martina when she made that comment.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #799
country flag XTN

I've been reading these articles about Federer currently being unable to handle the power-hitters as he has had losses to them in the three of the last four Grand Slam events. It just made me wonder what type of player Steffi had the most difficulty playing against: Serve-and-volleyers (Martina and Jana), hard-hitters (Seles, Davenport, Pierce, Williams sisters) or strong defensive players (Sanchez Vicario, Coetzer)? Or do you think that these styles were all equally effective against Steffi depending on how well they were executed?
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #800
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Navratilova great player, insecure, bitchy personality. It she who mocked that she and Steffi were friends at the Haiti event. She, Pma Shriver, Mary Joe Fernandez, should go on a trip and never return: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...ew-documentary
Where ?

And why MJ Fernandez ?
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #801
country flag XTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
Where ?

And why MJ Fernandez ?
LOL well I have heard from some folks that MJ tends to be quite critical of Graf or almost anti-Graf in her commentary. I personally have never heard nor seen it myself so I can't comment on the accuracy of that.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #802
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

In this case I think Martina just meant to say they don't know each other so well. Anyway,I always had the feeling Martina has some kind of Steffi's obsession. You know, Navratilova needs to feel the greatest, needs to feel beloved, she wants the spotlight and she likes to be the star. Maybe she feels that Steffi took some of those things away from her. Steffi got the attention and the love of people without even try to get that, she is the one who took her #1 WTA ranking, who is mention as the GOAT besides her (don't even think about Serena, please). When they did the Wimbledon roof celebration they called Steffi. I don't know why they didn't call Martina too, actually, I think they should have. Steffi is the one who got the best reception at the H4H exibition. Then, they all said Steffi couldn't live without tennis, she would have ended up with depression after her retirement, tennis was all she had and stuff like that. Well, who's the one who can't live without tennis? Who's the depressed one?
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #803
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTN View Post
LOL well I have heard from some folks that MJ tends to be quite critical of Graf or almost anti-Graf in her commentary. I personally have never heard nor seen it myself so I can't comment on the accuracy of that.
I don't know about this, I knew they had a good relationship. You know, if Mary Joe make a critic to one of Steffi's shot doesn't mean she doesn't like her or that she thinks Steffi wasn't a great player.
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #804
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Found this in a blog, nothing particular but looks like Steffi is back to US. Nice to read that Steffi and Andre travel in regular flights with their kids without much media attention.
http://thesmalerevue.blogspot.com/2010/07/vegas.html
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #805
country flag Warriorroger

Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
Where ?

And why MJ Fernandez ?
An island where well-endowed men force them to cook and clean the island and watch matches of themselves against Steffi over and over.. Then they have to listen to their own voices all the time and then they have to cook and clean again.

All mentioned women got spanked by Steffi. I loved the little incident where Graf aksed the umpire to make MJ quiet during the INdian Wells Match against Serena Williams. MJ was one of the first who stated Steffi didn't change her game in the late 80s, which is fine if you can beat her, she got beat every time, so should talk (not).

Navratilova (and sometimes Evert) is insecure about her own results, always having to question Steffi's personality, results, game. It was she who made a big deal out fo the grunting and suddenly she was Seles's biggest fan, as was Evert (with -yeah-but-her-main-opponent-got-stabbed comment)
Warriorroger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #806
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
An island where well-endowed men force them to cook and clean the island and watch matches of themselves against Steffi over and over.. Then they have to listen to their own voices all the time and then they have to cook and clean again.

All mentioned women got spanked by Steffi. I loved the little incident where Graf aksed the umpire to make MJ quiet during the INdian Wells Match against Serena Williams. MJ was one of the first who stated Steffi didn't change her game in the late 80s, which is fine if you can beat her, she got beat every time, so should talk (not).

Navratilova (and sometimes Evert) is insecure about her own results, always having to question Steffi's personality, results, game. It was she who made a big deal out fo the grunting and suddenly she was Seles's biggest fan, as was Evert (with -yeah-but-her-main-opponent-got-stabbed comment)
I love your idea, especially them watching their own matches against Steffi

I don't know what to think about all that, Evert and Navratilova sometimes said very kind things about Steffi and the day after its absolute contrary (and on other topics), so...
Pam says stupid things all the time so I can understand it
And MJ I didn't even know, but it makes me laugh to know she criticizes Steffi's game, because I've seen some of her match again Steffi, so
Only thing I know is that all this ladies are americans.

Last edited by djul14 : Jul 8th, 2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #807
country flag djul14

Hey thanks for all the links (hope i didn't forget one...or 2, 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafan92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehardwick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynz View Post
someone has uploaded a video from the Rexona Charity exo on youtube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWPeX0LbOG0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bia View Post
YES I only read them right now, days later, but thanks a lot guys
She still looks incredibly good and in shape with a racket in the hand (at the rexona exho), she should still be wearing tennis clothes, have a racket in the hand, and well play tennis...forever !
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 03:57 AM   #808
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

Mary Joe F is married to Tony Goddsick. The man who failed to do his job right in the nineties because instead of making Steffi the evil one she became more and more populair in the last years of her career!
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #809
country flag 4times

4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
Found this in a blog, nothing particular but looks like Steffi is back to US. Nice to read that Steffi and Andre travel in regular flights with their kids without much media attention.
http://thesmalerevue.blogspot.com/2010/07/vegas.html

Aboard our plane for the entire flight from Chicago to Las Vegas were Stefi Graf and Andre Agassi! They were on their way home with their two children.

What did they expect, that they'd jump off somewhere in between
4times is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #810
country flag djul14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4times View Post
Aboard our plane for the entire flight from Chicago to Las Vegas were Stefi Graf and Andre Agassi! They were on their way home with their two children.

What did they expect, that they'd jump off somewhere in between

@Irma : I didn't know about Tony Goddsick, there are a lot of things I still don't know