Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 49 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:25 PM   #721
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynz View Post
Irma, I see you are in the Nederlands. I have in-laws in Almere that I adore. I have always enjoyed my visits to your country. So much so that I decided to try to learn the language. I know I don't have to, because everyone that I have conversed with in my trips over the years speak english so well.( In fact people always say," sorry for my english",and then they speak my language perfectly.) But it's something that I want to do.
So I have been studying and there was an interview I saw posted on youtube with Kim Clijsters and I thought ok, Flemish, i think is similar to Dutch so I listened. I could not understand one word she said. Now then yesterday I saw the new Actimel commercial with Steffi, and I understood most of what Steffi said and clearly understood.
I was thinking if Flemish is closer to Dutch than German is, why am I understanding Steffi and not Kim. The only thing that I can fiqure is maybe Kim has an accent that I just can't understand? I don't know.
I don't know which interview you saw but there is also Flemish (or Limburgs) with an accent and that's harder to understand even for Dutch people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZY-s...next=1&index=5

This is pretty regular dutch from Kim
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #722
country flag grafan92

grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold

Stef and Bodo Miller
grafan92 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:54 PM   #723
country flag Lynz

Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice Lynz is just really nice

Thank you very much Irma. I understand some of what she is saying in this video. The only problem I have now is she is speaking at one speed and I am listening at another, maybe I should have another cup of coffee.
Perhaps the difference in Flemish and Dutch in a way is like French and the Acadian or Cajun French spoken in some places in the U.S. The origins are maybe similar but the dialect and accent is so very different that if one is learning French and hearing Cajun french that person would have a hard time understanding any of the Cajun french. When I was in school ,French was the second language that everyone had take. But later when I worked sometimes with Cajun speaking people, the accent was very hard to understand sometimes even when they were speaking english.

Last edited by Lynz : Jun 22nd, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
Lynz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:28 PM   #724
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

@Lynz, I like the way of your writing in english. Having coffee? I'm having 'tea' and it's time 10:58pm now, in India. GOOD NIGHT. By The Way,Our tennis goddess Steffi posted a new article about wimbledon-2010 on her official site: http://steffi-graf.net/en/wimbledon-2010/
"She's one of the greatest players, may be even greatest" - Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" - Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" - Billie Jean King

Last edited by R-K-M : Jun 22nd, 2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: @Lynz
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:23 PM   #725
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynz View Post
Thank you very much Irma. I understand some of what she is saying in this video. The only problem I have now is she is speaking at one speed and I am listening at another, maybe I should have another cup of coffee.
Perhaps the difference in Flemish and Dutch in a way is like French and the Acadian or Cajun French spoken in some places in the U.S. The origins are maybe similar but the dialect and accent is so very different that if one is learning French and hearing Cajun french that person would have a hard time understanding any of the Cajun french. When I was in school ,French was the second language that everyone had take. But later when I worked sometimes with Cajun speaking people, the accent was very hard to understand sometimes even when they were speaking english.
Yep it's all about the accent I think.
Your exemple comparing French and Acadian French is a very good one, the accent is really really marked, mostly we understand it, but sometimes it's a bit harder
Moreover there are a lot of words they've changed, "americanised" (?).
Most of the time it's pretty fun for us to hear Acadian French, like when Celine Dion speaks French, you can't imagine how many humorists (and non humorists too actually) imitate her or this accent
I don't speak Dutch at all, but I do speak German, so that I am able to understand dutch a little bit, it's quite similar.
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:36 AM   #726
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

I guess it's the same in Wallonie or is their dialect/accent pretty much the same as in France? I can't speak french at all except for a few words that I remembered from my highschool days.
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:01 AM   #727
country flag 4times

4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice

French Open finalists out at Big W. Just goes to show how tough it is to adjust from one surface to the other and what an accomplishment for those who have been able to win both back-to-back.
4times is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:47 AM   #728
country flag Jessyka

Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
Most of the time it's pretty fun for us to hear Acadian French, like when Celine Dion speaks French, you can't imagine how many humorists (and non humorists too actually) imitate her or this accent
I listen to Celine singing in French a lot. So that means that if I learn my French that way and we meet, you're gonna laugh at me?
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:53 AM   #729
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by irma View Post
I guess it's the same in Wallonie or is their dialect/accent pretty much the same as in France? I can't speak french at all except for a few words that I remembered from my highschool days.
No in Wallonie they totally don't have a marked accent or dialect, they have an accent but not marked, nothing compared to the Acadian French

@Jessyka : the strange thing is that Celine Dion (and all the Canadian) while she sings in French she totally doesn't have her Acadian accent, but when she speaks yesss

And after seeing the pic of Steffi with Bode Miller, I realized that it was at the Arthur Ashe Kid's Day 2004 and not 2006, my bad.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:06 PM   #730
country flag djul14

Wimbledon : Mahut vs Isner has been suspended at 59 all, final set.
I've been watching from 10-10, had time to cook, eat, have a shower, watch a footbal game and it isn't even over
I feel exhausted.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:29 PM   #731
country flag Seleção82

Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I've been watching from 10-10, had time to cook, eat, have a shower, watch a footbal game and it isn't even over
I feel exhausted.
Found this on MTF:

Seleção82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:30 PM   #732
country flag Jessyka

Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I feel exhausted.
That's CRAZY!
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:42 PM   #733
country flag djul14

loooooooooool at the picture, one match 3days, and actually one set 2days, god, let's hope they can conclude it tomorrow
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #734
country flag Smithee

Smithee is just really nice Smithee is just really nice Smithee is just really nice Smithee is just really nice Smithee is just really nice Smithee is just really nice Smithee is just really nice Smithee is just really nice Smithee is just really nice Smithee is just really nice Smithee is just really nice
Cool Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

I just want to thank everyone for this thread. I became a fan of tennis in 1992/1993 when I was around 12 and by that time Steffi had already won her Grand Slam and I missed her "Golden Years." I've had to see a lot of her older matches on YouTube and either Tennis Channel of ESPN Classic matches. I love reading about the classic players of the game and the history behind the game and Steffi was the first tennis player I started following and liking.

I love the history in this section of TennisForum.
Smithee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #735
country flag djul14

WELCOME Smithee

I am like you, I started too in 1992, so that I missed her early years, but dvds and youtube are my friends