Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 201 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 05:12 PM   #3001
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Big names skip Federation Cup
USA TODAY
Wednesday, November 2, 1988
Compiled by Greg Boeck, Carol Herwig, Beth Tuschak

Pam Shriver says she's not surprised Steffi Graf has pulled out of this year's Federation Cup tennis tournament, Dec. 5-11 in Australia.

Shriver, in Worcester, Mass., for this week's New England Virginia Slims, said she, Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova aren't playing either because "the timing ... is really difficult for the players.''

"To go, then come back for Christmas, then go back down'' for the Australian Open in January is just too physically demanding, said Shriver.

"It's a shame. We all love to play Fed Cup.''

[...]
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 05:24 PM   #3002
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Thanks Ms.A for posting all your valuable collection.

By the way, wondering if anyone watched this?
http://marckayne.com/film-by-paula-k...yway-magazine/
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #3003

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post

That issue of "Myway" sold more than 100,000 copies, the first time that happened for that magazine. Still moving units after all these years. You go, girl!

Don't know if this has already made the rounds:

http://www.jeuxactu.com/wii-party-u-...raff-90159.htm
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #3004
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

Quote:

Wow! Thanks for that. Wondering where I can get that magazine.... wish to buy it.
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #3005

Those figurative tectonic plates will always be grinding against each other...

Graf hasn't come to grips with celebrity
USA TODAY
Friday, November 11, 1988
Associated Press

The pressure of being a West German superstar is a super nightmare for Steffi Graf.

"For me, it's hard to understand why the people write such untrue things about me," said Graf in New York preparing to defend her title at the Virginia Slims Championship.

"I can't get over the reaction of people on the street. I've gone through so much this past year. There's so much I've learned of being famous. It gets very difficult sometimes. When I was in Hamburg recently, I tried to go out on a Saturday. I walked about 20 meters, but there were so many people following me that I went back to my hotel."

After winning the Grand Slam, Graf, 19, won the gold medal in singles tennis in Seoul.

Her coach, Pavel Slozil, says Graf likes to be at home with her family and her dog but it has gotten to the point where she can't even go shopping in the early morning.

The pressure on the court will be somewhat less than that in the shops, said Graf, when she meets Claudia Kohde-Kilsch in her first match of the tournament Monday.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #3006

Tennis; Graf to Open Against Kohde-Kilsch
ROBIN FINN
November 11, 1988
New York Times

Steffi Graf, owner of a Grand Slam title and an Olympic gold medal, was mistress of ceremonies yesterday at the unveiling of the draw for the $1,000,000 Virginia Slims Championships next week, the year's final event on the women's tennis circuit.

Last year the top-seeded Graf won the tournament, which will run Monday through Sunday at Madison Square Garden, and this year she appears heavily favored to do the same.

The West German superstar is currently tending a 45-match winning streak and has indicated that she has no intention of ending her historic year with anything but her 72d victory.

Aiming for Perfection

''This is not just a tournament that you can put away,'' Graf said of the 16-woman singles field and eight doubles teams culled from the top performers through 55 tournaments in 1988. ''But I'm trying to perfect my tennis, to be as good as possible, and it would be nice to complete the year by winning.''

The 19-year-old Graf drew her countrywoman Claudia Kohde-Kilsch as a first-round opponent.

Graf must progress through the top half of a draw that contains Chris Evert, seeded third, and Lori McNeil, who gave Graf trouble last month in the semifinals at Brighton, the only tournament she has entered since the Seoul Olympics.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #3007

Posting some Mahwah articles over in the "1986" thread.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #3008
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:

what was it about, the link (video) doesn't work for me

I have about 10pages to read, had internet troubles (new flat)
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #3009
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
what was it about, the link (video) doesn't work for me

I have about 10pages to read, had internet troubles (new flat)
djul, try this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_sXogbnSgE
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #3010

Graf holds favorite's role
Houston Chronicle
Sunday, NOVEMBER 13, 1988
CHARLES CARDER

NEW YORK - Sixteen players have qualified for the Virginia Slims Championships, which begin at Madison Square Garden on Monday, but if the weeklong series goes like other women's tournaments this year, there are 15 players competing for second place.

This has been Steffi Graf's year.

The 19-year-old West German has been just about as close to perfect as is possible.

She lost two matches to Gabriela Sabatini last spring in Florida and since that time she has been flawless.

The No. 1 ranked player in the world since Aug. 16, 1987 she has won the Grand Slam of tennis, the first since 1970; the Olympic gold medal, the first since 1924; swept the five tournaments that extend over two weeks - the four Grand Slam events and the Lipton International, the first ever to accomplish that feat; has won a total of 10 tournaments and has a 72-2 match record with a 45-match win streak.

"It's been an amazing year,'' Graf said Thursday at the draw meeting. "Everything I wanted to happen has happened.''

The only thing that is lacking is the VS Championship, which she won a year ago with a win over Sabatini at the season-ending $1 million Slims tournament.

Martina Navratilova of Fort Worth, the No. 2 ranked player, is seeded No. 2 followed by Chris Evert of Boca Raton, Fla.; Sabatini of Argentina, Pam Shriver of Baltimore, Md., Natalia Zvereva of Russia; Manuela Maleeva of Bulgaria and Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia.

Houstonians Zina Garrison, now No. 9 on the computer rankings, and Lori McNeil, No. 13, are among the other eight who have qualified for the finals. The field is completed by Barbara Potter of Woodbury, Conn.; Claudia Kohde-Kilsch of Germany; Katerina Maleeva of Bulgaria; Stephanie Rehe of Highland, Calif.; Sylvia Hanika of Germany; and Helen Kelesi of Canada.

McNeil and Betsy Nagelsen are among the eight doubles teams that have qualified for that portion of the tournament.

Hanika and Shriver are scheduled to open the tournament Monday with Graf to play Kohde-Kilsch in an unfortunate draw of players from the same nation. Garrison is on the Tuesday night card, and her first-round opponent is Sukova, who upset Evert in the first round of the 1987 Championships. McNeil plays seventh-seeded Manuela Maleeva in the opening match on the Wednesday program.

Finals will be played next Sunday.

Virginia Slims Championships preview Here are the Chronicle's favorites to win the Virginia Slims Championships at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

SINGLES Player..Odds....Comments...

STEFFI GRAF..2-1....She has won everything else this year and is the defending champion of this tournament. She has played only one tournament since the Olympics and might not be tournament tough. If her game is in gear every one else will be playing for second...

MARTINA NAVRATILOVA..3-1....Proved she is ready by revenging her U.S. Open loss to Zina Garrison in a 61-minute drubbing in Chicago on Friday. Lost in the second round of this tournament last year...

CHRIS EVERT..5-1....Hasn't won a Grand Slam event since the French Open in 1986 and suffered one of her most crushing defeats in this event last year when she was beaten in first round by Sylvia Hanika. Still capable of playing good tennis on the right day. Seeded to meet Graf in the semifinals...

GABRIELA SABATINI..5-1....The only player to defeat Graf this year and she has done it twice. Biggest problem during the summer appeared to be conditioning and she has had time to work on that since the Olympics. Seeded to meet Navratilova in the semifinals...
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #3011

Graf could make great year better
USA TODAY
Monday, November 14, 1988
Doug Smith

NEW YORK - West Germany's Steffi Graf will try to cap an already remarkable year by adding the $1 million Virginia Slims Championships to her collection of major titles.

Graf, defending champion and No. 1 player in the world, plays compatriot Claudia Kohde-Kilsch and No. 5 Pam Shriver faces West Germany's Sylvia Hanika tonight.

No. 2 Martina Navratilova plays Stephanie Rehe Tuesday and No. 3 Chris Evert plays Barbara Potter Wednesday.

The weeklong competition features the top 16 singles players and eight top doubles teams in the Virginia Slims point standings. Graf won last year's best-of-five final beating No. 4 Gabriela Sabatini in four sets.

Graf has won the grand slam (Australian, French, Wimbledon and U.S. Open) and a gold medal at the Seoul Olympics. She has a 71-2 record this year, losing twice to Sabatini.

"It would be impossible to top this year, so I'm not going to worry about it," said Graf. "My job is to go out and play. . . I only think about winning. I don't think about my ranking or how much money I have. Just winning."

The field includes six teenagers: Graf, 19; Sabatini, 18; Natalia Zvereva, 17, of the Soviet Union; Katerina Maleeva, 19, of Bulgaria; Rehe, 19; and Helen Kelesi, 19, of Canada.

Navratilova won her third consecutive tournament Sunday, 6-2, 6-2 against Evert at the Virginia Slims of Chicago. If Navratilova wins next Sunday's final, she'd make a major step toward being No. 1 again.

"We've only played once this year (Wimbledon final) and I lost," said Navratilova. "If I get to the final in New York against Steffi, then I'll worry about beating her."
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #3012

Tennis; Graf Is Seeking A Happy Ending
ROBIN FINN
November 14, 1988
New York Times

The pecking order in women's tennis is well-defined. Steffi Graf, a 19-year-old West German, holds a match record of 71-2, has won a Grand Slam this year, and is the defending champion of virtually every event of consequence on the women's circuit.

The $1 million Virginia Slims Championships, which begins tonight at Madison Square Garden and runs through Sunday, is no exception.

The top 16 players from the 55 tournaments in the yearlong Virginia Slims circuit gather here. Eight doubles teams, including the defending champions, Martina Navratilova and Pam Shriver, will also compete. The singles title is worth $125,000; doubles winners each get $45,000. The singles final has a three-of-five-set format rarely used in women's tennis.

Graf, who is on a 45-match winning streak and has been ranked No. 1 in the world since August 1987, won the singles title last year. It was the first time in the last five years that Navratilova, who defeated Graf in four sets here in 1986, failed to win the tournament.

Spotlight on Young Players

Last year's final was a battle between the two teen-agers who represent the cutting edge of women's tennis. Graf needed four sets to defeat Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina, 4-6, 6-4, 6-0, 6-4.

The erratic Sabatini, 18, remains the only player capable of beating the West German this year. Graf is no fan of Sabatini's reliance on topspin, and on occasion has been unnerved by it. However, each of the defeats by Sabatini came last spring, at the final at Boca Raton, Fla., in March and the semifinals on Amelia Island, Fla., in April.

Graf has performed nearly flawlessly against every opponent since, Sabatini included. She overpowered Navratilova after a slow start at Wimbledon and methodically eliminated Sabatini at both the United States Open and the Olympics.

Seeking Happy Ending

She said she intended to continue as the defending champion of this championship, the final event on the women's calendar for 1988.

''Nobody can take away what I've already achieved this year, but it would be nice to complete the year by winning the Virginia Slims,'' Graf said.

She has not considered resting on her laurels. ''I'm trying to get stronger, to work on coming to net more, on my serve, and on my backhand,'' she said. ''I'm trying to be as good as possible.''

Graf, who will continue to hold the top ranking regardless of her finish here, skipped a tournament in Chicago and arrived in New York early to practice with her coach, Pavel Slozil, acclimate herself, and take in some sights.

Although Graf credited this championship with offering the toughest first-round matches of the year, she wasn't especially concerned about drawing Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, another West German, as her opponent in tonight's opening round.

Kohde-Kilsch, a doubles specialist, has been runner-up here with her partner, Helena Sukova, for the last four years. She is not expected to provide Graf with much more than a warm-up in the singles competition.

''Steffi is playing at a level above the rest of us right now,'' said Chris Evert, who was defeated by Navratilova, 6-2, 6-2, in the final at Chicago yesterday.

Looking for a Comeback

Navratilova is hoping to use this event to salvage 1988, the first year since 1980 in which she failed to capture a Grand Slam tournament. She believes her best tennis lies ahead, and has been victorious in all three events she entered since the United States Open in September.

Navratilova will face Stephanie Rehe on Tuesday. Evert will meet Barbara Potter on Wednesday; Sabatini, seeded fourth, will play Katerina Maleeva on Wednesday.
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #3013

Hilarious!

Gap closing - Tennis
The Times
London, England
Tuesday, November 15, 1988

Martina Navratilova's victory over Chris Evert in the final of the Chicago tennis tournament at the weekend helped her narrow the gap on Steffi Graf, the women's circuit leader, to 1,050 points.
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #3014

TENNIS; Graf Passes Test, Marks Herself Low
ROBIN FINN
November 15, 1988
New York Times

She experimented with her shots, using her opening-round match as a laboratory for the continued evolution of the tennis that has lately snubbed all challengers.

Occasionally she got caught up, like any curious scientist might, in watching the results of her drop shots and backhand slices. She was distracted and began missing even her most dependable shots. And as Steffi Graf got mad, last night's valiant opponent, Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, got even, if only for a time.

Graf managed to overcome a second-set collapse to win, 6-1, 4-6, 6-1, at Madison Square Garden, but as far as the defending champion of the Virginia Slims Championships was concerned, this was an ugly victory.

''It was disgusting, simply disgusting,'' said Graf of the middle set. ''I'm leading, 4-3, I'm serving, and then I go totally off. My forehand was terrible. It's not the first time that's happened to somebody, it happens all the time. It happened to me.''

Breakdowns have rarely plagued the 19-year-old West German superstar, who has put together a 45-match winning streak, a Grand Slam and an Olympic gold medal.

''When I play bad, I get real mad at myself,'' said Graf, who will remain the world's top-ranked player regardless of whether she retrieves her punishing game in ensuing matches here.

In the first match, fifth-seeded Pam Shriver defeated Sylvia Hanika of West Germany, 6-3, 6-4.

The Graf match began predictably. Graf, who has defeated Kohde-Kilsch, also of West Germany, in eight consecutive matches, ran her opponent all over the court, kept her at bay with predatory serves, and benefited as Kohde-Kilsch's serve faltered.

All-Consuming Task

Kohde-Kilsch was, like most of Graf's opponents, timid, a trait that can prove costly early.

Kohde-Kilsch held serve just once in the first set, and found herself back in that same predicament in the third. All her energy, she said, seemed consumed by the job of taking the second set away from Graf to force a third.

''I was a little worse in the third set, and she grabs the match right away,'' said Kohde-Kilsch, ranked 11th in singles. ''Against her there can be no letdown. She always goes on court and knows she can win. Me, I was just running for my life.''

Graf responded to being twice broken by Kohde-Kilsch in the second set with a fiery finish. She attacked the ball with booming groundstrokes, made her opponent cringe as she received serve, and snapped off paralyzing forehands.

Graf Takes Control

Kohde-Kilsch held serve in the first game of the final set, but Graf controlled the set thereafter. She breezed through the second game without yielding a point, and then broke Kohde-Kilsch in the third game with the same steeply angled backhand that deserted her in the second set.

Shriver's victory was her fifth straight over Hanika, who last year fashioned a 6-2, 6-2 upset of Chris Evert in the first round here.

''She didn't make many easy mistakes,'' said Hanika, whose groundstrokes were continually intercepted by Shriver at midcourt.

Shriver used a combination of her powerful serve and a reliable overhead smash to discomfit Hanika. Shriver broke her opponent twice, in the fourth game of the first set and in the seventh game of the second, after surviving 3 break points in the sixth game.

The negotiating committee of the Women's International Professional Tennis Council announced yesterday that it had reached agreement with two Philip Morris companies on a five-year, $30 million worldwide sponsorship of women's professional tennis, beginning in 1990.

Post Cereals in North America and Cafe Hag in Europe, Asia and Australia will become sponsors of the women's pro tour.
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #3015

Shriver, Graf win Slims openers
Houston Chronicle
Tuesday, NOVEMBER 15, 1988
CHARLES CARDER

NEW YORK - Pam Shriver and Steffi Graf eliminated West German players in the first round of the Virginia Slims Championships Monday night before 9,843 fans at Madison Square Garden.

Shriver, a strong Republican who had a brief telephone conversation with President-elect George Bush over the weekend, eliminated Sylvia Hanika 6-3, 6-4 in the opening match of the night. Graf, winner of the Grand Slam and the Olympic gold medal, needed three sets to dispose of Claudia Kohde-Kilsch 6-1, 4-6, 6-1.

In the lone doubles match of the night, Graf and Gabriela Sabatini beat Isabelle Demongeot and Nathalie Tauziat, both of France, 6-3, 6-1.

Three West German players qualified for this year-ending tournament and Graf, the only one remaining, was angry with herself for the way she played the second set.

"I would say the word disgusting. I was totally off in the second set,'' she said before returning to the court for doubles. "Maybe I wasn't concentrating enough. I don't know why. It was close because I wasn't playing well.

"It wasn't the first time it has happened, it happens all the time.''

What she didn't add was that it seldom has happened to her as she's compiled a 70-2 record this year and won 45 consecutive matches.

"I was very pleased with the second set,'' Kohde-Kilsch said. "I played well, but you have to play well all the time against her. You put so much into winning a set, it is hard to maintain the same level.

"Her mental strength is a big part of her game and she started serving well in the third set.''

Statistically, the major difference in the second set was that Graf's first serve percentage fell off to 66, compared to 73 by Kohde-Kilsch, and Graf committed 16 unforced errors. She made only seven unforced errors when she breezed to the third-set victory and connected on 71 percent of her first serves.

Saturday, Shriver said she returned a call from a Bush staff member. "He was in the middle of reeling in a fish. I congratulated him, but actually he was looking for Chris Evert and a tennis match. I had to tell him she was in Chicago (playing in a tournament).

"He thought if Chris was down there (in Florida, where Bush spent the weekend), maybe she'd like to come over and play some tennis. He got to know Chrissie two years ago, but he hasn't met Andy (Mill, Evert's husband). He likes to meet people, and he said, 'I'd like to meet that husband.'

"He's a pretty good player. At some point in his life he (Bush) played enough tennis so he's pretty solid. His family plays extremely well. One of his sons, Mark, is really good enough for me to practice with,'' Shriver said.

"I think it's exciting when the president plays your sport and plays it well. I think it's going to be fun.''

Shriver played like Bush ran - with a great deal of confidence.

"She didn't make any easy mistakes, she didn't give me anything and she didn't play badly,'' Hanika said. "I think she has been playing consistently the last year or two. She doesn't give you any easy mistakes anymore.''

Second-seeded Martina Navratilova plays Stephanie Rehe, and Houston's Zina Garrison meets eighth-seeded Helena Sukova in first-round matches tonight.