Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 176 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 21st, 2013, 02:02 PM   #2626
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4times View Post
Translation please!
Let me take this moment to whine about translating something from German to English that was first translated from English to German. All kinds of inaccuracies are inevitable.

Secondly, let me laugh that little Miss I-Lost-My-Passport/Wallet/Keys/Any-Important-Item has allegedly turned into a model of organization.

Migros Magazin
21 May 2013

Q: Is it true that Heinz Günthardt, Stefanie's coach at the time, brought you two together in 1999?

Graf: Yes, Heinz was the middle man.

Agassi: Yes, he was helpful ... (grins)

Graf: Many coaches busy themselves as procurers ... (laughs)

Q: Apropos of Heinz Günthardt, he is participating in your first tennis exhibition in Switzerland. What can the spectators expect at this event?

Agassi: I don't yet exactly know what the format will be. But we will be playing a little mixed doubles ...

Graf: ... And playing doubles. We start the day playing with juniors from the area. Mansour Bahrami, Henri Leconte, Heinz Günthardt and Amélie Mauresmo are in on it. That's a fun troupe, you can expect shots that you never see at tennis tournaments. Bahrami and Leconte are the Harlem Globetrotters of tennis!

Agassi: You will see good tennis and a lot of fun. We certainly don't take it so seriously anymore, but we are still proud of our play.

Q: Which do you prefer, playing with or against each other?

Graf: For me, quite clearly together!

Agassi: (thinks about it somewhat longer and then looks at his wife) Yes, that's fun. She still runs so well. That's why I always worry that she will hurt herself when I'm on the other side of the net.

Graf: True, we both worry about each other a lot. We also want to have fun in the process, and when we play against each other, there is too much pressure.

Q: During your professional years, you both played in Switzerland. Stefanie still holds the record with six victories in Zürich. Andre, you played in Basel. What memories do you have of Switzerland?

Agassi: My most beautiful memory was probably in 1986. I was looking for a tournament in between two other tournaments, and I decided on Basel, although I knew nothing about Basel, not even where it was exactly. It went super for me, I reached the quarterfinals and beat a couple of good players. I felt for the first time that I can hold my own against the better players, too.

Graf: I have many tremendous memories of Zürich -- on and apart from the court. That was my favorite time of the year, because it was indoors and I preferred to play indoors. But probably I have even more good memories away from the court. I flew on a helicopter in the mountains. I love the mountains, the lake, and the food. When we were getting to know each other, I was always enthusiastic about Zürich with Andre. I even thought that I might settle down in the area sometime.

Agassi: Early on I promised her that I would go back to Zürich with her one day, if she stays with me.

Q: But then you were dragged to Las Vegas...

Graf: (laughs) Yes, a little bit further away than I thought.

Q: Never problems with the desert climate?

Graf: No. I'm certainly no sun worshiper. I don't especially like the heat. But you don't spend a lot of time outside when it's hot. In the summer we are often in Europe or otherwise travelling, because the children aren't in school then.

Q: You are athletes. So you wouldn't yet feel advancing age like the rest of us.

Graf: But yet a lot is more difficult.

Agassi: It is more difficult, but when something is important to you, you push on through. Sport is a part of our lives. We know our bodies and are rather efficient concerning our fitness routines. I do fitness training four or five days per week -- endurance and strength. And when I have matches, I spend a couple of weeks on the tennis court. because it's nice to prepare for something and take the time for it.

Q: Your two children, Jaden Gil and Jaz Elle, are, interestingly enough, absolutely not enthusiastic about tennis.

Graf: They love all kinds of sports. Jaden's passion is baseball, but when he's on the golf course, he also likes it. Or basketball. We do a lot together, like snowboarding for example, and it's fun for everyone. They inherited our energy.

Agassi: True, they are very active in sports. And it's also important how we feed/support ourselves. There our children can learn the most from us.

Q: Can you set an example with your children from your own childhood, which you sacrificed for pro sports?

Graf: Apart from tennis, not much time remained for certain things that we prefer now. We ourselves wouldn't have gone for snowboarding, the children brought us to it. Jaz likes to ride. Now I've gotten on a horse once again. For the first time in a long time.

Agassi: Until we had children, I always had the feeling I was missing something in life. Not anymore. Because I can spend my time with my children, which many parents can't do, because their work doesn't allow it.

Q: After the end of your active tennis career, a new life began for you. Does everything revolve around your children today?

Graf: The family is at the center. What surprised me is how active the children are. After school, there's homework, baseball, dancing, painting, piano...

Agassi: ... then dinner, bath, and bed.

Graf: There is always something going on. It's a challenge to coordinate everything along with my work for my charity. I try to deal with that in the morning, when they are in school. But it's great when you can put the children in the top spot.

Agassi: I'm also busier than ever. Between businesses and charities, you constantly have to adjust your appointment schedule. Life is a constant balancing out.

Q: Children in general play an important role in your life. The exhibition in Zug benefits Stefanie's children's relief organization "Children For Tomorrow." Andre operates a school in Las Vegas. Why have you focused your charitable work on children?

Agassi: I find it a simple manner to relate to children. Their innocence speaks to me, and their future is still so unbelievably important. How you can help them is somewhat more complicated. Education is the vehicle for their future. That I landed up in our hometown of Las Vegas with the Agassi Prep School was the result of a long process.

Q: How are the roles allocated at home? Which of you is the more strict and who is more like your own parents?

Agassi: Every generation spends a lot of time on giving their children what they themselves didn't have. And thereby you forget to give them what you did have. Each of us has strengths and weaknesses. Steffi's strength is certainly her talent for organization. She is always a step ahead. And you need that if you want to keep pace in our family. I am the one who loses patience sooner. And the children know when my patience is wearing thin.

Graf: We are in tune with each other. We communicate constantly.

Q: Is that why the relationship works?

Agassi: You need goals and interests that go together, and that's the case with us. Time with family and friends is important for both of us. We are good for each other because our differences complement each other. But we are also similar to each other and attend to each other.

Q: Wouldn't a coaching job appeal to you?

Graf: I always still like to have a look at a game, and I'm involved in the Adidas Team Program. They come for two weeks at a time to Las Vegas, in order to prepare for the hardcourt season. It's fun to help the younger generation and pass on experiences and tips. Sometimes it doesn't even have to do with what happens on the court, but rather what's around it. But in order to coach someone, you have to travel 20 to 25 weeks, and we aren't willing to do that.

Q: Professional tennis is a serious affair. Therefore the question: Aside from the clowning interludes of Bahrami and Leconte, what else makes you laugh?

Graf: (looks to her husband for help) What is that TV series called again? "Bang Theory"?

Agassi: Yes, "The Big Bang Theory" -- it's funny.

Q: Apropos of perspective: Roger Federer will one day retire. You already have that step behind you. Will he have to reckon with a shock then, or what advice can you give him for the time after his active career?

Agassi: We have seen with others that it can be difficult. But with us it went rather well. If I had known how good I would do, I probably would have stopped sooner.

Graf: Roger has such a phenomenal career. So many memories and experiences. Probably it will surprise him what else there is in life. He already has two small children, a wife, a foundation -- he has a full life, it will hardly be boring for him.

Q: Can he still improve this at this late point in time in his career?

Agassi: Roger can't surprise me anymore -- only further impress me. His problem is having to compare himself with the best player of all time. Can he be better at 32 than the best of all time? He set this standard.

Graf: He manages his strength very well, and prepares well for the big events. He knows when and how he can bring out his maximum. His career is unbelievably remarkable.

Q: Previously, your perfect days were defined by victories. How does a perfect day look for you today?

Agassi: Time with the children, with friends, to achieve something at work, to fully devote your body and spirit. When you are surrounded by everything that is good and dear to you, you have a marvelous day.

Last edited by Ms. Anthropic : May 21st, 2013 at 09:02 PM.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:19 PM   #2627
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Steffi and Andre on BBC5 on the eve of FO:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01sjhkm
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:31 PM   #2628

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

The Information Age arrives for tennis at the 1988 French Open!

View of French Tennis Open Served by Information Boom
ROBIN HERMAN
New York Times
May 21, 1988

PARIS, May 20— France has been in the midst of a communications revolution for a while, and the French Open tennis tournament, which begins here Monday at Roland Garros Stadium, has steadily made its way into the new information age with the rest of French society.

But now, with the addition of a sophisticated communications system inside and outside the stadium, the French Open has gone from up-to-date to downright futuristic.

Curious about how Steffi Graf did in her last encounter with Gabriela Sabatini? Wondering what Ivan Lendl's record is on clay?

For French tennis fans, statistics are no longer the exclusive purview of the aficionado or the tennis journalist. Inside the stadium complex, four Minitel stations - part of the Government's free video information system that supplements the telephone in millions of French homes - will offer the public not only facts about past competitions but also point-by-point accounts and statistical analyses of matches being played.

The more than 800 journalists covering the competition will have access to the statistics bank as well. They will also be provided with individual television screens in the main stadium to follow matches on all 16 clay courts. Post-game interviews with the players will be recorded and videotaped for review by writers. Only the Olympics offer such extensive information services for the press.

Tennis fans strolling the grounds of Roland Garros will not have to rely on word of mouth or follow the shift of the crowds from court to court to know if an upset is in the making. Ten television screens are set up around the grounds to show the primary action.

The information boom extends outside Roland Garros. On the platforms of the Paris subway system, video screens on pedestals usually broadcast international and cultural news, accompanied by the latest rock videos. During the two weeks of the French Open, live coverage of the tennis matches will take over, and clusters of subway riders will stand transfixed, letting train after train go by as they root for their French favorites, Yannick Noah or Henri Leconte.

Full Television Coverage

This year, that ancient information appliance, French television, will broadcast the tournament from its 11 A.M. start to an 8 P.M. finish all 14 days, and add a nighttime recap. What is more, two national channels will provide simultaneous coverage of both the center court and the second main court. Fans who crave information on obscure matches that did not make it to the screen can simply use their home Minitels to tap into the same information bank that fans and journalists at Roland Garros will be using.

The tournament's top-seeded entrants this year include the world's top players: Ivan Lendl, Stefan Edberg, Mats Wilander, Pat Cash and Boris Becker, in that order, among the men; Graf, Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, Sabatini and Manuela Maleeva among the women.

The French are passionate about tennis, which is thought to be the second-largest participant sport here after soccer. There are 1.4 million registered tennis players in a country of 55 million people. Legions of others like to look as if they play, wearing the polo shirts that the Frenchman Rene Lacoste made famous.

Roland Garros is along the edge of Paris, next to the Bois de Boulogne and easily reached by subway. It was built quickly in 1928 after the French unexpectedly won the Davis Cup and needed a stadium to host the next year's cup competition. Cozy Surroundings

The grounds are cozy and charming, with an emphasis on stone, ivy and decorative flowers. The compact complex is to Flushing Meadows, site of the United States Open, what a French apartment is to a Long Island split-level.

The stadium was not named after a famous tennis player, as most people think, but a World War I flying ace. This year is the 100th anniversary of his birth and there are special events planned to honor the centennial, including a pass over center court before the men's final by French Air Force jets, which will release blue, white and red plumes of smoke.

The French Open has steadily been gaining in popularity after a low point in the 1970's, when many world-class players - especially Americans, who had problems with the slow clay surface - stayed away. The last American man to win in singles here was Tony Trabert in 1955, but American women have recently dominated the event, with Evert winning the title seven times in the last 14 years.

Arena Renovated

For the past 10 years, the organizers have been committed to a diligent modernization program. There has been a $30 million renovation of the main arena, which had not been touched since it was built in 1928, and prize money has been boosted to the level of the other three Grand Slam events, about $4 million this year.

With these improvements, participation by top players has returned, and demand for tickets is intense. Last year, 327,000 people attended the matches over the course of the tournament, which comes after the Australian Open and before Wimbledon and the United States Open, the other Grand Slam events.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:15 PM   #2629

And indeed the teens would take over the women's tournament. I have always found it remarkable how quickly and utterly the "supporting cast" 20-somethings from the Navratilova and Evert years dropped away. Only three Slam finals (1989 AO, 1990 Wim., 1993 USO) reached by them after Steffi asks the Grail Question at the 1987 Lipton -- it's truly a lost generation. Even in doubles, the turnover to the kids will be almost as dramatic.

French Open : Bracing for the Teen-Age Invasion
May 22, 1988
LARRY SIDDONS
Associated Press

PARIS — The cafes and boulevards of Paris are being invaded this spring by two groups of teen-age visitors. One carries knapsacks, the other tennis rackets.

Led by punk-haired Andre Agassi of the United States and glamourous Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina, these young challengers are expected to grab a major share of the spotlight when the French Open begins Monday.

Ivan Lendl, secure atop the men's rankings, and Steffi Graf, a teen-ager herself but a comparative old-timer as the top-ranked woman, are the top seeds and favored to retain the singles titles they won last year.

"All I want to do is lift that trophy in Paris," Lendl said on his way to the men's championship in the Italian Open earlier this month.

The Czechoslovak native has won the French Open three of the last four years, and has reached at least the semifinals in all of his last 10 Grand Slam tournaments.

Graf, the 18-year-old West German who won her first Grand Slam singles title here a year ago by beating Martina Navratilova in the women's final, also comes in with a big victory in her last outing.

"This is a good sign for Paris next week," Graf said after beating Helena Sukova in the final in Berlin.

Lendl, Graf and the other 254 players in the main draws will find the familiar red clay courts at Roland Garros as slow as ever. The Parisian crowds will mingle under the chestnut trees, patiently watching long baseline rallies.

At stake is a purse totaling $3.97 million, with $246,750 going to the men's singles champion and $246,362 to the women's winner. Last year's top prizes were $219,500 for men and $198,500 for women.

At least one familiar name will be missing from the tournament.

Jimmy Connors of the United States, who battled into the quarterfinals last year, pulled out last week with an injured right foot. The 35-year-old was seeded fifth in the men's field.

Doubts also have been raised about the participation of another American veteran, John McEnroe. Trying again to regain the form that made him No. 1 in the world three years ago, McEnroe had to pull out of a tournament in Florence, Italy, last week because of strained neck ligaments.

In the women's field, both two-time winner Navratilova and seven-time champion Chris Evert of the United States are coming off injuries.

Navratilova, 31, skipped the Italian Open, while Evert, 33, had to withdraw midway through because of a bone spur in her foot. Both are expected to play in Paris.

But their chances of staging a repeat of the 1986 women's final, which Evert won, will depend as much on young bodies as old.

There's Graf, of course, at No. 1. The West German has not had the overpowering start to her season that she had last year, when she left Paris with a 39-match winning streak and her seventh tournament title of the year, but she feels she is in good shape.

"At the moment I'm in absolutely my best form," Graf said. "Things are working as I want and my forehand is going well."

If form is the key to this tournament, then Sabatini could have a chance of fulfilling her prophesy after winning the Italian Open women's title three weeks ago.

"I think I'm ready to win the French Open," said the 18-year-old Argentine, the youngest semifinalist ever here three years ago, who has beaten Graf twice this year.

In Rome, Sabatini's tennis often took a back seat to her appearance for many fans. Teen-age boys, and not a few of their fathers, sat in the Foro Italico spellbound by Sabatini's mixture of grace and power.

To win the Italian title, Sabatini beat another up-and-coming teen-ager, 18-year-old Helen Kelesi of Canada.

The story in the men's field is not quite so dominated by youth, although its most talked-about entrant just turned 18.

Agassi, a native of the gambling mecca of Las Vegas, Nev., and in only his second full year on the pro tour, has won three tournaments this season, including the U.S. Clay Courts Championships and the Tournament of Champions, another big clay-court event.

"He could be the superstar Americans are dying for," Lendl said.

He is seeded ninth in Paris, where his spikey blond hair, denim tennis shorts and easy-going style are expected to make him a crowd favorite.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:27 AM   #2630
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

ESPN posted an article about how Kathleen Horvath beat Martina Navratilova at the 83 FO 4th round. At the end of the article, there's this mini thing about Steffi

Years after that signature victory, Horvath and her 4-year-old daughter, Erica, ran into Steffi Graf in the players' lounge at the U.S. Open. Horvath introduced Graf to her daughter, saying, "This is the best woman who ever played."

Erica looked confused.

"But, Mommy," she said, "I thought you were the best player ever."

Graf, always gracious, smiled.

"You're right," she said. "Your mother was the best player."

For one day, at least, Erica Kathleen Horvath was.
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:15 PM   #2631

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan2808 View Post
"But, Mommy," she said, "I thought you were the best player ever."

Graf, always gracious, smiled.

"You're right," she said. "Your mother was the best player."

For one day, at least, Erica Kathleen Horvath was.
Love it! Four-year-olds are the best test of character!
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:26 PM   #2632

When Pavel Slozil said she's playing even better than in Berlin, I'm sure 99% of the other players were pooping their pants. And I am sure Navratilova was especially galled to be ignored by Steffi. She will soon say something to get her attention...

GRAF SHARP FOR TITLE DEFENSE; LENDL STALKS THIRD STRAIGHT CROWN
Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Monday, May 23, 1988
Larry Siddons, The Associated Press

Top-seeded Steffi Graf begins defense of her first Grand Slam championship when she kicks off play on center court at the French Open today.

Graf, the 18-year-old from West Germany, meets Nathalie Guerree, a wild-card entry from France, in the opening match of the tournament.

While the Roland Garros complex swarmed with spectators for a day of charity exhibition matches yesterday, Graf worked out on one of the red clay side courts with her coach, Pavel Slozil.

"I am feeling very well," Graf said. "I take this practice very seriously."

As she did a year ago, Graf comes into the French Open following an impressive victory in a tournament in Berlin, and Slozil said she had improved since that performance a week ago.

"She is not only as good as in Berlin, she's better than in Berlin," Slozil said.

Ivan Lendl, trying to become the first player since Sweden's Bjorn Borg to win three consecutive men's singles titles in Paris, begins play tomorrow against another French wild card, Philippe Pech.

Two veteran American women's seeds also open play tomorrow - second-seeded Martina Navratilova against Pat Medrado of Brazil and third-seeded Chris Evert against Judith Wiesner of Austria.

Graf and Navratilova worked out on courts next to each other yesterday but never exchanged as much as a glance.

"That's normal," Slozil said. "Steffi is in total concentration when she practices."

Andre Agassi, the 18-year-old hope of American men's tennis and the tournament's ninth seed, follows Graf on center court today, against Paolo Cane of Italy.

That match will be followed by sixth-seeded Yannick Noah of France, the 1983 men's champion, against Ricki Osterthun of West Germany and No. 11 women's seed Katerina Maleeva of Bulgaria against Catherine Tanvier of France.

John McEnroe, the former top-ranked men's player from the United States who is trying to rebuild his career after a series of injuries, opens today against Alexandr Volkov of the Soviet Union.

McEnroe, the 16th seed, originally was to begin play on center court after Graf.

But Jacques Dorfmann, the tournament referee, said McEnroe asked to be moved to the second show court for his first-round match.

"He prefers to start on Court No. 1," Dorfmann said.

A year ago, McEnroe was eliminated by Argentina's Horacio de la Pena in a first-round match on center court.

On a Parisian Sunday without a cloud in the sky and the temperature in the 60s, McEnroe was among a group of players who participated in exhibition matches on show courts for the benefit of the French Cystic Fibrosis Association.

In defeating Ramesh Krishnan of India in a single "pro set," 8-4, McEnroe looked sharp and had the crowd behind him.

He whipped groundstrokes behind big serves and bantered with the spectators, at one point blasting a forehand winner down the line and asking a fan, "How was that?"

At the end of the workout, McEnroe tapped his racket to salute the crowd and thanked the chair umpire.

"He's much more up for this than he has been in the past," said Peter Fleming, McEnroe's one-time doubles partner and now his coach.

No American man has won the French Open since 1955, won Tony Trabert took the title for the second year in a row.

The McEnroe-Volkov match on Court No. 1 follows a battle of American women, No. 10 Zina Garrison against Stephanie Rehe. Fourth-seeded Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina follows McEnroe against Maider Laval of France.

Other first-day matches involving seeded players include two-time men's champion Mats Wilander of Sweden, the third seed, against Josef Cihak of Czechoslovakia; No. 7 women's seed Claudia Kohde-Kilsch of West Germany against Angelika Kanellopoulou of Greece, and an all-Australian match between No. 8 women's seed Hana Mandlikova and Elizabeth Minter.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:42 PM   #2633

After this match, Steffi stops with the fooling around.

Graf wins; Garrison advances
Houston Chronicle
Monday, MAY 23, 1988
Associated Press

PARIS - Top-seeded Steffi Graf, kicking off the defense of her French Open women's title, defeated wild-card entry Nathalie Guerree of France 6-0, 6-4 today in the tournament's opening match.

The 18-year-old West German, firing cannon-shot forehands, rolled across her opponent through the first eight games. But then Guerree fought back to win nine points in a row by slicing drop shots just over the net and taking advantage of inconsistent forehands by the world's top-ranked player.

Playing on a warm, hazy morning on center court at Roland Garros Stadium, Graf lost her serve twice in the second set. But she then held serve to go up 5-4, and broke to win the match just 49 minutes after it began with a rocketing forehand the Frenchwoman could not return.

The men's champion, Ivan Lendl of Czechoslovakia - who hardly ever loses in Paris - must wait until Tuesday to begin his quest for a third straight French tennis crown.

The current American hope, No. 9 seed Andre Agassi, 18, easily downed Paolo Cane of Italy 6-4, 6-1, 6-2 in the second center-court match.

Graf said that once she had control, she tried some experiments, getting away from her established game.

"I was happy with the way I played for a while, but I didn't play that way for the whole match, and I should have," she said. "I was trying too many special shots and taking too many risks."

"Tactically, there is no way to play her," Guerree said. "With her forehand, she can win the point from any position. If she plays her best, there is nothing you can do against her."

In the second round, Graf will meet Ronnie Reis of Miami, who won 6-3, 6-3 Monday over Niurka Sodupe of Miami. In another first-round match, seventh-seeded Claudia Kohde-Kilsch of West Germany beat Angeliki Kanellopoulou of Greece 6-2, 6-4.

No. 10 seed Zina Garrison of Houston outlasted Stephanie Rehe of Highland, Calif., 6-2, 4-6, 6-1. The eighth seed, Hana Mandlikova of Australia defeated Elizabeth Minter of Australia 6-2, 6-1.

Scheduled next on center court were Yannick Noah of France against Ricki Osterthun of West Germany.
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #2634

This is Steffi's biggest public display of anger with another player that I know of -- the closest she came to publicly promising to kick butt the next time they played. Behind that casual, almost drowsy exterior lurks an apex predator (as is often the case). Sometimes it is a far better thing to be ignored than to have her full attention.

MANDLIKOVA, MAYOTTE UPSET IN FRENCH OPEN SECOND ROUND
The Wichita Eagle
Thursday, May 26, 1988
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Having more problems with a head cold than her opponent, defending champion Steffi Graf breezed into the third round of the French Open Wednesday and issued a warning to the top challenger for her No. 1 ranking in women's tennis.

The third day brought the first rain delay to the Grand Slam tournament - and the first major upsets.

Eighth-seeded Hana Mandlikova was beaten by 19-year-old Bettina Fulco, who said the former champion no longer played like a top-10 competitor and had "lost a lot of respect" among her peers.

Mandlikova failed to reach the third round for the second consecutive year. Searching for her first tournament victory in more than a year and trying to come back from a torn hamstring muscle, the 1981 French Open women's champ fell apart after a line call kept her from going up 5-2 in the first set. She lost to Fulco 6-4, 6-3.

"I think everybody has lost a lot of respect for her in the last months," said Fulco, 37th in the world. "She has been losing to players in the top 100. . . . Today, she missed forehands, easy forehands. That's not the game of a player in the top 10."

Tim Mayotte, the men's eighth seed from the United States, and Raffaella Reggi of Italy, the women's 12th seed, were also eliminated. Both lost to Swedish clay-courters - Mayotte, after winning his first French Open match ever in the first round, to Magnus Gustafsson 7-6 (7-3), 6-4, 6-4; and Reggi to Maria Strandlund 3-6, 6-1, 6-3.

"A streak of one," Mayotte said.

In the men's draw, Andres Gomez of Ecuador, the 13th seed and a quarterfinalist three of the last four years, was eliminated in the second round by Ronald Agenor of Haiti 6-4, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4).

After beating Ronnie Reis of Miami, Fla., 6-1, 6-0 in 40 minutes, Graf became annoyed when told that second-ranked Martina Navratilova still considered herself to be the world's best.

"She says what she wants and I say what I want," Graf said. "She better watch out, that's all I can say."

Reis, ranked 185th, won just 19 points and never even reached break point. The 18-year-old West German, on the other hand, broke Reis four times and won four games at love.

Sneezing from a cold that had her wiping her nose during change-overs, Graf said she had to keep going all out even when beating a foe so overwhelmingly. "What can I do? I just try to do my best," she said. "That's what I play tennis for."

In the men's field, second-seeded Stefan Edberg and third-seeded Mats Wilander of Sweden, sixth-seeded Yannick Noah of France, ninth-seeded Andre Agassi of the United States and 15th-seeded Guillermo Perez-Roldan of Argentina all won. Noah literally did it by the seat of his pants.

Evert had a bit of trouble with her injured foot and a lot of trouble with Romano in the first set, but settled down to dispatch the qualifier. The seven-time French Open champion finally broke Romano in the 12th game.

"She did test me," said Evert. "When it gets to be 3-all, 4-all, 5-all, the danger signs are there. The adrenalin gets pumping."

Agassi, the 18-year-old from Las Vegas, Nev., who has won three clay-court tournaments this year, moved into the third round with a 6-1, 6-2, 6-2 victory over Massimiliano Narducci of Italy.
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #2635

Would not have been surprised if Navratilova got a note taped to her locker that went: "Dear Martina, Would you please shut the [expletive deleted] up? You don't have to worry about playing her until the final, but many of us are in the line of fire earlier and it is already difficult enough. Thank you for your consideration. Yours truly, The Entire Top Half of the Draw Not Surnamed Graf"

Navratilova and Graf lob challenges
USA TODAY
Thursday, May 26, 1988

No. 1 Steffi Graf and No. 2 Martina Navratilova can't meet until the French Open final, but the two are already trading verbal shots.

Navratilova served first, on Tuesday:

"I consider I'm the best player on the circuit. I see weaknesses in Steffi, Chris (Evert) and Gabriela Sabatini that I can explore," said Navratilova, winner of five tournaments this year.

Graf volleyed Wednesday.

"Everybody has got their own thinking of the way she is playing," said Graf, winner of four tournaments this year. "If I play my best, she better watch out, that's all I can say."

Apparently forgotten by both is Evert.

"I don't think you can count anybody out because no one has dominated this year," said Evert, who has won twice this year.

"I think the next three grand slams will tell the story of the year," said Evert.
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #2636
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Anthropic View Post
Would not have been surprised if Navratilova got a note taped to her locker that went: "Dear Martina, Would you please shut the [expletive deleted] up? You don't have to worry about playing her until the final, but many of us are in the line of fire earlier and it is already difficult enough. Thank you for your consideration. Yours truly, The Entire Top Half of the Draw Not Surnamed Graf"

"I think the next three grand slams will tell the story of the year," said Evert.
And Evert was right, the next three slams did tell the story, a story that is 25 yrs old but still untouched...
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #2637
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
And Evert was right, the next three slams did tell the story, a story that is 25 yrs old but still untouched...
You can't be more right!!!
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #2638

The seeds in the top half are tumbling (although that Martinez kid will prove to be not bad on clay), and soon the bottom half will also be wiped out.

NAVRATILOVA ADVANCES EASILY EVERT MATCH POSTPONED UNTIL SATURDAY BECAUSE OF HEEL INJURY
San Jose Mercury News
Friday, May 27, 1988
Associated Press

Second-seeded Martina Navratilova beat Barbara Paulus of Austria 6-2, 6-2 today and advanced to the fourth round of the French Open tennis championships. Chris Evert's meeting with Spain's Arantxa Sanchez was postponed after the third-seeded Evert underwent a bone scan of her injured right heel.

The test showed no break and Evert, a seven-time French Open champion, plans to play the match on Saturday.

West German Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, the No. 7 seed, started strong against Nicole Provis of Australia, then faded and lost 1-6, 6-4, 7-5.

"I got nervous, but I tried to stay calm and she made mistakes, not me," Provis said. "I'm only 18. I've had no pressure on me."

Edberg advances

The men's No. 2 seed, Stefan Edberg, beat fellow-Swede Jan Gunnarsson 6-3, 6-4, 7-6, but only on his sixth match point.

Yannick Noah, the hometown favorite and No. 6 seed among the men, smashed 12 aces en route to a 6-4, 6-4, 5-7, 6-3 victory over Jakob Hlasek of Switzerland. Other men's seeds advancing included No. 12 Emilio Sanchez of Spain, who defeated Guy Forget of France 6-4, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, and Guillermo Perez-Roldan of Argentina, who ousted Patrick Huhnen of West Germany 6-2, 6-3, 6-2.

Women's seeds Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia, Natalia Zvereva of the Soviet Union, Zina Garrison of the United States and Sylvia Hanika of West Germany also won third-round matches.

Sukova defeated Mercedes Paz of Argentina 6-4, 6-4, Zvereva beat American Melissa Gurney 6-0, 6-4, and Hanika overcame Isabelle Demongeot of France 3-6, 7-5, 6-4, and Garrison ousted American Michelle Torres 6-1, 6-1. She will face Sukova in the fourth round.

Navratilova next

Zvereva, 17, winner of the junior's titles at last year's French Open, U.S. Open and Wimbledon, will face Navratilova on Sunday.

Navratilova is projected to meet Evert in one of the semifinals. Teen stars Steffi Graf and Gabriela Sabatini are headed toward a meeting in the other, now that upsets have cleared all other seeded players in their paths.

The two 18-year-olds -- top-seeded Graf from West Germany and No. 4 Sabatini from Argentina -- have romped through their early matches in straight sets, leaving outclassed opponents gasping.

Graf took just 50 minutes Thursday to beat Susan Sloane 6-0, 6-1, then said it was her toughest match of the tournament.

"I wasn't feeling very well, so I'm glad it was quick," said Graf, who was bleary-eyed and red-nosed from a cold.

Sabatini, whose dark beauty combined with tennis skills draws crowds to her matches, had only a slightly stronger test. It took her 61 minutes to whip Masako Yanagi of Japan 6-2, 6-1.

Besides Graf and Sabatini, who are doubles partners when not competing in singles, three women's seeds played Thursday. They all lost.

Helen Kelesi of Canada downed No. 5 Manuela Maleeva of Bulgaria 6-4, 6-2, Brenda Schultz of the Netherlands beat No. 14 Sandra Cecchini of Italy 6-4, 7-5, and 16-year-old Conchita Martinez of Spain upset No. 9 Lori McNeil of Houston 1-6, 6-3, 6-1.

Clash of teens

Unless Graf or Sabatini is upset in the next two rounds, they will meet next Thursday in the semis.

Graf was asked how such easy matches in the early rounds can prepare her for what is to come.

"That's a good question," she replied. "I try to concentrate all the time and go for many shots."

Sabatini, who in the past weakened in lengthy matches, has toughened her conditioning this year. Graf has lost only twice in 36 matches in 1988, both times in three sets to Sabatini.

"Last year I was very good, and I think this year will be better," Sabatini said after her second-round victory. "I feel good. I'm in good condition physically and mentally."

Asked if she was impressed by how dominant Graf has been in early rounds, Sabatini said, "I think she's had very easy matches. But I know it won't be easy to beat her."

John McEnroe, at 29 the oldest man left in the tournament, next faces 16-year-old Michael Chang of Placentia, who is the youngest. Chang said he has often played against McEnroe in his mind -- and won.

"I kill him, of course. I kill him," Chang said of his dreams of playing McEnroe after winning his own second-round match over Tobias Svantessen of Sweden 6-4, 6-1, 6-3.
Old May 29th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #2639

Steffi defeated Tauziat in 44 minutes to reach the quarterfinals, but the story of the day was Evert falling to this Sanchez kid. While considered a bad loss for her at the time, from the perspective of the future, it's not so ignominious. Evert would plan to return next year, but does not, so this was her last singles match at the French Open. The end of an era...
Old May 29th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #2640
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mrs A.

One year in Washington Steffi was points away from a golden set vs Zina Garrison. A golden set being 24 points to zero!
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote