Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 175 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 5th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #2611
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bia View Post
Watch the slideshow here, look at Jaz! http://www.indiatimes.com/sports/ten...8-7.html#photo

By the way, it happens that Steffi picked the winner horse at the derby! How do you explain this to Navratilova!? I mean, everything she touches it comes to gold! https://www.facebook.com/officialsteffigraf
LOL. So Steffi is judging fashion contests, looking better than supermodels, and then she picks the winning horse. Amazing.
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #2612
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bia View Post
Watch the slideshow here, look at Jaz! http://www.indiatimes.com/sports/ten...8-7.html#photo

By the way, it happens that Steffi picked the winner horse at the derby! How do you explain this to Navratilova!? I mean, everything she touches it comes to gold! https://www.facebook.com/officialsteffigraf
Navratilova sez: "Hey, she probably put money on all the horses, just so she could say she picked a winner!"

Steffi sez: "Nope. I even managed to pick Orb before his odds shortened. I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!" (To clarify, I am just making that up.)

Jaz has inherited some of her mom's sense of humor if she is not even 10 years old and is picking a horse called Unlimited Budget. Funny on many different levels.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #2613
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Anthropic View Post
Navratilova sez: "Hey, she probably put money on all the horses, just so she could say she picked a winner!"

Steffi sez: "Nope. I even managed to pick Orb before his odds shortened. I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!" (To clarify, I am just making that up.)

Jaz has inherited some of her mom's sense of humor if she is not even 10 years old and is picking a horse called Unlimited Budget. Funny on many different levels.
I was thinking exactly the same thing.

By the way, I found this tweet written by a BBC radio tennis commentator. Interesting.

bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #2614

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Posted Hilton Head articles in the 1986 thread.
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #2615
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

I always LOVE it whenever they mentioned any greatness about Steffi while watching the ATP matches. Commentator Rob Koenig did just that yesterday when Federer was leading 5-1 in the first set in just about 15 mins (he eventually won the 1st set in 19 mins). Koenig said, "well, we haven't had someone winning this fast for quite a while. It used to be pretty common for Steffi, back in those days. She just used her low sliced backhand, great forehand and powerful serve to the max. Remember the French Open final? How long did it take her to win that one? Was it just about 35 mins?"
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #2616

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan2808 View Post
Was it just about 35 mins?"
Akshully, it was 32 minutes. Poor Natasha, just a really nervous kid in a really high pressure situation against the worst possible opponent.

And when we get to the U.S. Clay Championships tournament in the 1986 thread, there's one match time that is a little on the dubious side (especially the first set), but if it's for real, just wow.
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #2617

Meanwhile, returning to 1988, Steffi has been tearing through Berlin. She didn't often crow about her form, but when she did, it was no bluff. After losing twice to Gaby, she went home and worked on her forehand, probably hitting bloody thousands of them, to use Stolle's phrase.

GRAF FACES HANIKA TODAY
THE ORLANDO SENTINEL
Sunday, May 15, 1988
Compiled From Wire Reports

Top-seeded Steffi Graf eliminated Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, and Helena Sukova defeated Silvia Hanika in the semifinals of the West German Open.

Graf blasted Kohde-Kilsch, 6-1, 6-0, 39 minutes. Sukova defeated Hanika, 6-2, 6-3.

Graf will play Sukova today for her third consecutive West German title. Sukova is ranked seventh in the world.

Graf, ranked No. 1 in the world, defeated Kohde-Kilsch for the third time in 1988.

"Claudia lacked energy and fighting spirit," Graf said after the match. "I think I am in the best form of my life."

Kohde-Kilsch said nothing worked Saturday.

"Everytime I tried to get something going, it went wrong," Kohde-Kilsch said. "Steffi has become much stronger."
Old May 16th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #2618

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

Yes - you are right, Ms Anthropic - the FO 88 final lasted a mere 32 mins! Actually I hardly got to watch all those matches where Steffi pummeled her opponents 6-1 6-0 or 6-0 6-1 in 35-40 mins. I wonder HOW on earth she did that. And not only once or twice but numerous times too.. gosh.
Old May 16th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #2619

Quote:
Actually I hardly got to watch all those matches where Steffi pummeled her opponents 6-1 6-0 or 6-0 6-1 in 35-40 mins. I wonder HOW on earth she did that. And not only once or twice but numerous times too.. gosh.
Some of them are a case of the opponent giving up. Either out-right tanking ("I know I won't win this, so why bother to try?") or being so over-matched and embarrassed about it ("Please get me off this court quickly!"). Some of them, especially from 1986 and 1987, are a case of a modern power-based game meeting a more finesse- and/or moonball-based tennis game.

But some of them are the real deal, when the opponent is actually a good player and trying, but everything is working for Steffi. There's a great quote from Patty Fendick from the 1988 USO: "I've seen her on days when she makes an opponent look like they never played tennis before."
Old May 16th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #2620

I don't know if Steffi's "no one could have beaten me" was a not-so-subtle dig at Navratilova, who had been making similar statements about her own game for most of the year, even after losing. At any rate, I am sure this did not sit well with Team Navratilova, and things would eventually become somewhat heated. At least Steffi got to practice her speech for the French Open.

Graf defeats Sukova
Houston Chronicle
Monday, MAY 16, 1988
Houston Chronicle News Services

WEST BERLIN - Steffi Graf defeated Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia 6-3, 6-2 to win the West German women's tennis championships for the third straight year.

Graf, ranked No. 1 in the world, was in complete control of the match, dispatching No. 7 Sukova in 54 minutes for her 23rd Grand Prix victory.

"I've never been in such good form," the jubilant Graf said following her victory. "The way I was playing today, no one could have beaten me.

"I played my very best. It is a good omen for the Paris tournament (French Open)."

Graf apologized to the crowd in her native country that it wasn't a longer match: "I am sorry it went so fast."

Sukova admitted she had been outclassed and said she never expected to be able to defeat the West German star.

"Steffi just plays too fast for all of us," she said. "She had a winning shot from every position."

Sukova broke Graf's service in the first game and held her own for a 2-0 lead before Graf took control of the match. But she was unable to keep up the momentum under Graf's barrage of strokes.
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #2621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Anthropic View Post
Some of them are a case of the opponent giving up. Either out-right tanking ("I know I won't win this, so why bother to try?") or being so over-matched and embarrassed about it ("Please get me off this court quickly!"). Some of them, especially from 1986 and 1987, are a case of a modern power-based game meeting a more finesse- and/or moonball-based tennis game.

But some of them are the real deal, when the opponent is actually a good player and trying, but everything is working for Steffi. There's a great quote from Patty Fendick from the 1988 USO: "I've seen her on days when she makes an opponent look like they never played tennis before."
That's a nice quote from Patty Fendick (I remember she was one of the few players who actually won more games off Steffi at 88 USO, Steffi won 4 and 2 I think, based on my memory). I remember also another quote from someone (I cant remember who) which was published in World Tennis mag also in 1988. "Steffi didnt just beat you. She dispatched you." I was so young then I didnt even know what "dispatch" meant then. Haha...
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #2622

Quote:
That's a nice quote from Patty Fendick (I remember she was one of the few players who actually won more games off Steffi at 88 USO, Steffi won 4 and 2 I think, based on my memory). I remember also another quote from someone (I cant remember who) which was published in World Tennis mag also in 1988. "Steffi didnt just beat you. She dispatched you." I was so young then I didnt even know what "dispatch" meant then. Haha...
Posting the 1986 U.S. Clay Courts Championships articles (also did 1986 Amelia Island). The match against Vermaak is particularly interesting.
Old May 19th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #2623
country flag Dragonlady

Dragonlady is a glorious beacon of light Dragonlady is a glorious beacon of light Dragonlady is a glorious beacon of light Dragonlady is a glorious beacon of light Dragonlady is a glorious beacon of light Dragonlady is a glorious beacon of light Dragonlady is a glorious beacon of light Dragonlady is a glorious beacon of light Dragonlady is a glorious beacon of light Dragonlady is a glorious beacon of light Dragonlady is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Yes - you are right, Ms Anthropic - the FO 88 final lasted a mere 32 mins! Actually I hardly got to watch all those matches where Steffi pummeled her opponents 6-1 6-0 or 6-0 6-1 in 35-40 mins. I wonder HOW on earth she did that. And not only once or twice but numerous times too.. gosh.
Her power and level of athleticsm was new age and seemingly from another planet for women at the time (Navratilova somewhat matched her in athleticsm, but not in power). That probably explains the alot of such lopsided scores even for really good players. It took awhile for the other women to get used to facing such power and physicality and implementing it themselves into their games to close the game. Steffi truly took womens tennis to a new level at the time though.
Dragonlady is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:41 AM   #2624
country flag grafan92

grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold

http://www.migrosmagazin.ch/menschen...vorgeschwaermt
grafan92 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:04 AM   #2625
country flag 4times

4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice 4times is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafan92 View Post
Translation please!
4times is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote