Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 172 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:41 AM   #2566
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Just posted a whole bucket of (genuine) articles in the 1986 thread from the Virginia Slims of Florida, featuring a young, altogether uncertain Steffi. "Wow, I made the final! I made the final? Gulp..."
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 06:29 PM   #2567
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Hey, Ms. Anthropic, your article has been mentioned on Jon Wertheim mailbag. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...illiams-bagel/
Scroll down the page.
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 07:00 PM   #2568
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Ms. Anthropic
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 09:05 PM   #2569
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Ms. Anthropic, your post about Steffi's book was referenced in CNNSI. Check this out. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...?sct=tn_t11_a3. Scroll towards the end of the article, under Shots, Miscellany

I'm not sure if they realized that this was an April Fool's Day joke.

ETA: Oh apparently they did. Even further down it says, "That Steffi Graf book was an April Fool's joke." I think it's great that they thought your post was funny and interesting enough to reference And well it is!
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 09:36 PM   #2570

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Oh, but this could get a bit tricky... Stefanie Maria Graf has been known to launch lawsuits over more trivial transgressions. To say nothing of the possibility of Yog Sothoth taking umbrage at being slanderously linked with IMG. It was just a joke, Yog!
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 10:56 PM   #2571
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Anthropic View Post
Oh, but this could get a bit tricky... Stefanie Maria Graf has been known to launch lawsuits over more trivial transgressions. To say nothing of the possibility of Yog Sothoth taking umbrage at being slanderously linked with IMG. It was just a joke, Yog!

Well deserved mention by SI.
Can I pat my back for it!!!
It is so good that Jon Wertheim had no choice but to post it.
Too good a piece to be restricted to Tennisforum and hope at least some in media learn how to write a fun piece without being mean.

Last edited by Stef-fan : Apr 3rd, 2013 at 11:03 PM.
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post

Well deserved mention by SI.
Can I pat my back for it!!!
It is so good that Jon Wertheim had no choice but to post it.
Too good a piece to be restricted to Tennisforum and hope at least some in media learn how to write a fun piece without being mean.
At least when I am sitting in court facing umpteen defamation of character and copyright infringement lawsuits, I will know who to thank!
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #2573

After the Lipton, was often asked: "When is No. 1 going to meet No. 2?" And her reply was "you'll have to ask Martina." Some readers will recall that at the end of 1987 Navratilova had said she would follow Graf to the ends of the earth to get the No. 1 ranking back. Martina's 1988 schedule, however, refuted that statement, although she would end up taking a wild card at Amelia Island.

Also interesting, from an article in "The Orange County Register" by Steve Fryer, comes a report that "NBC feels it is getting short-changed because several stars are not competing in the Family Circle Cup tennis tournament, which the network is televising this weekend. Producer Ted Nathanson and commentator Bud Collins even went so far as to write to Steffi Graf's father, who also is her manager. They told him that Graf's absence from the event hurts women's tennis because the Family Circle is one of the few all-women tennis events that gets network coverage."

Now, that's pretty amazing that an American network producer would beseech Steffi to play a tournament. Of course, it's also pretty amazing that NBC couldn't/didn't see that their own messed up coverage of tennis (e.g., the women's French Open final at the time was shown on tape delay and often edited if it went longer than the time slot, and NBC also sometimes suppressed the broadcast of one of the women's FO semis) was more of a problem than "lack of star power."
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #2574
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.rtlregional.de/player.php...35&r=1&seite=0
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #2575

Also mentions Evert running afoul of the security guard at Lipton.

Time off is boring to No. 1 Steffi Graf
The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution
Sunday, April 10, 1988
Karen Rosen

Steffi Graf has difficulty understanding the concept of "taking time off."

"Taking time off bores me because I don't want to practice all the time," said Graf, the No. 1 women's player in the world. "If I just practice and practice and don't see the result of it in matches, then it doesn't satisfy me."

But what about taking time away from tennis? She did that once, for about 10 days. "I hated it," she said. "Without tennis it wasn't easy, but I spent some time with friends and made some more friends."

The big news from the U.S. Hardcourt Championships in San Antonio, besides Graf's trip to the Alamo, was her visit to a mall where she bought three pairs of shoes. Graf wears size 11.

IDENTITY CRISIS: Security was tight at the Lipton International Players Championships. A guard stopped Chris Evert at the back gate because she didn't have her ID badge. After some discussion, the guard agreed to let her in, but warned, "Be sure to bring your badge from now on in case no one recognizes you."

A ROOM WITH A VIEW: Boris Becker doesn't expect to be pampered when he plays in the Olympics in Seoul this fall. This is the first year professional tennis players will be allowed to play in the Games, and Becker said he is looking forward to it.

"It's a goal to go there," he said. "It is not so much a goal to win, but just to be part of the experience. Who knows if I am going to be playing tennis in four years? This may be a once-in-a-lifetime chance and I want to go.

"I would like to stay in the players rooms with two or three people I might not know."

When it was pointed out that rooms in an Olympic Village are nowhere near as plush as he is used to seeing on the tennis circuit, Becker said he would not mind.

"If the other players don't want to stay in the village," he said, "they should stay at home."

NO WIN, NO LOSE, NO TIE: India's decision to boycott its scheduled Davis Cup match in Tel Aviv, Israel, this weekend to protest Israel's repression of Palestinian demonstrations was a departure from its actions last year. In 1987, India beat Israel in a Davis Cup quarterfinal in New Delhi that it agreed to host only after being threatened with a three-year suspension from the tournament and a $10,000 fine. The Foreign Ministry had recommended the match be canceled but was reportedly overrule d by prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.

BABY, YOU'RE LATE: Carling Bassett gave birth to 7-pound, 15-ounce Holden John on March 14 after the baby had been nearly three weeks overdue. Bassett's husband, Robert Seguso, was on time for his opening match at Lipton the next day.
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #2576

After defeating the rank and file in easy fashion, Steffi and Gaby will once again cross baguettes...

GRAF TAKES BEST SHOT AT SABATINI
SEMIFINAL MATCH WILL BE LATEST IN YOUNG STARS' GROWING RIVALRY
THE ORLANDO SENTINEL
Saturday, April 16, 1988
Melissa Isaacson

Normally, Steffi Graf would be annoyed. Here she was, fresh from a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Katerina Maleeva in the quarterfinals of the Bausch and Lomb Championships, and no one cared. Not a question. All anyone was concerned about was her semifinal meeting against Gabriela Sabatini.

And Graf might very well have been irritated. Except that's all she cared about, too.

In what is shaping up to be one of the best rivalries in women's tennis, Graf will take on Sabatini today for the 12th time in her career. She will be trying to avenge her only defeat in the series, a three-set loss one month ago in the final of the Virginia Slims Championships in Boca Raton.

Sabatini defeated Michelle Torres, 6-1, 6-1. In Friday's other quarterfinal, Martina Navratilova defeated Kathleen Horvath, 6-3, 6-1, and will play Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, who beat No. 5 Zina Garrison, 6-3, 6-2.

For Navratilova, a late wild-card entry in the event, the victory was deserved though not necessarily hard-earned.

"After the first few games my mind was not there," she said. "But down 4-3 in the first set I said, 'It's time to concentrate and get on with it.' I cut down on my unforced errors after that and wasn't even down a break point, so that's pretty good."

Horvath attempted to push Navratilova by coming into the net more than she is accustomed, but it was to no avail. "I couldn't get any rhythm," Horvath said. "She just pounced whenever I had any opportunity. . . . She played like the No. 1 player in the world today."

Kohde-Kilsch said Navratilova will be tough to beat.

"I better be ready," she said. "Martina has been playing really well this tournament, and she always plays well against me."

Navratilova, who is ranked second behind Graf, has won four tournaments in a row and is coming off a singles title at Hilton Head, in which she defeated Sabatini in the final.

For Sabatini, ranked fifth, her challenge today will be a formidable one. Her victory over Graf in Boca Raton was on hard courts. The Amelia Island Resort has clay courts, Graf's strongest surface. "It really helps both of us," Sabatini said. "We're both good on clay."

Graf revealed Friday that she sustained a sprained left wrist when she slipped while fishing Wednesday.

"I'm so embarrassed to tell you," said Graf, who is right-handed. "It's getting better day by day."

It certainly did not appear to effect her against Maleeva. In complete command from the start, Graf was devastating as ever with her groundstrokes. "It's really going well. The shots that I'm hitting feel incredible," Graf said.

Graf said she is anxious to face Sabatini, also her doubles partner. "The fact that she beat me makes me much more eager," Graf said. "It was tough for me after I lost to Gabby. I made many mistakes last time. I wasn't feeling the best, and in the middle of the second set I couldn't keep it up anymore. I couldn't fight at the end.

"This time I have to keep telling myself to concentrate."

Sabatini, 17, a year and a month younger than Graf, said she welcomes the challenge. "I like to play against her," Sabatini said. "She's always putting pressure on you, and that's what I like. I know now it's not impossible to beat her."
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #2577
country flag jjg

jjg is an unknown quantity at this point

Andre & Steffi are on the cover of Gala Magazine this week with an interview inside...can somebody post the interview as I don't think it is available online.
jjg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #2578

SABATINI'S STRONG FINISH DELETES GRAF
THE ORLANDO SENTINEL
Sunday, April 17, 1988
Melissa Isaacson

Steffi Graf didn't really know how it slipped away. Or at what point precisely. She seemed almost as baffled as her opponent, Gabriela Sabatini, who, trailing, 3-0, Saturday in the third set of their semifinal match at the Bausch and Lomb Championships somehow wrested it away and won, 6-3, 4-6, 7-5.

Sabatini spoiled an anticipated final showdown between Graf and Martina Navratilova but set up an interesting rematch just the same. Navratilova, who defeated Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, 6-3, 6-2, in Saturday's other semifinal, beat Sabatini in the final at Hilton Head, S.C., one week ago.

''I wanted to play Steffi, but I can't go 'Phew, I don't play her,' because now I have to play Gaby on clay.'' Navratilova said, ''If she plays me like she played Steffi today, I'm in trouble.''

Navratilova and Kohde-Kilsch watched the 2-hour, 28-minute match between Graf-Sabatini on television while waiting for their semifinal to begin. ''I don't think anybody was giving Gaby two cents chance to come back,'' Navratilova said. ''What an effort, physically and emotionally.''

Indeed, Sabatini, who previous to Saturday's meeting had defeated Graf only once in 11 matches, seemed to be finished in the third set. In a match where the momentum shifted frequently, it appeared to be on Graf's side for good.

Graf held three break points in the fourth game of the third set and Sabatini, shoulders slumped, admitted she was thinking more about surviving than winning. ''I thought I would lose the match, I was so tired,'' Sabatini said. ''To beat Steffi, you have to be in very good shape.''

With the sellout crowd of 5,000 emphatically behind her, Sabatini pulled out the fourth game, broke Graf in the fifth at love, and tied the set at 3-3 when Graf pushed a backhand into the net.

''When you start winning, you forget about being tired,'' Sabatini said.

Sabatini broke in the critical seventh game, but Graf broke back at love and the two appeared headed for a tiebreaker.

Sabatini held serve to tie the score at 5-all, but the momentum was undeniably hers. On game point, Graf lofted a backspin lob that Sabatini chased down and returned with a shot between her legs a la Yannick Noah. Two shots later, she had the game, the crowd and, as it turned out, the match.

Sabatini broke Graf in the 11th game and held for the match when Graf netted a backhand serve return.

''I just didn't play the right points at the right time,'' Graf said. ''I could've turned it around. My forehand was not as good as it was supposed to be. . . . The match kind of slipped out of my hand.''

''I like to play these kind of matches,'' Sabatini said. ''These matches give you more confidence, and they help your game.''

Sabatini, however, said Graf does not necessarily bring out the best in her game. ''Everyone says our rivalry is like Martina's and Chris Evert's,'' Sabatini said. ''I just try to improve my game, that's all. . . . The best matches I've had are against Martina.''

Sabatini will have to play her best against Navratilova, who has won the last four tournaments she has played. Against Sabatini in Hilton Head on clay last Sunday, Navratilova won, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4.

''I think Martina has the best chance to win,'' Kohde-Kilsch said. ''Right now she's pretty confident.''

''I'm excited at how well I'm playing,'' said Navratilova, ranked No. 2 in the world behind Graf. ''I'm confident playing on clay. I don't make stupid errors, and I don't try to do too much. I'm just staying in the rally as long as it takes.''

The final will be televised live by ESPN, beginning at 4 p.m.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #2579

Sabatini's win spoils showdown
The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution
Sunday, April 3, 1988
Karen Rosen

AMELIA ISLAND, Fla. - The showdown will have to wait.

Steffi Graf, the No. 1 player in the world and the top seed in the $300,000 Bausch & Lomb Championships, lost her chance to meet No. 2 Martina Navratilova when she lost her semifinal match to a weary Gabriela Sabatini 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 Saturday.

Sabatini, the third seed ranked No. 5 in the world, will meet Navratilova, who defeated No. 4 seed Claudia Kohde-Kilsch 6-3, 6-2 in a much less strenuous match.

Sabatini also won her last meeting against Graf, 2-6, 6-3, 6-1 a month ago in Boca Raton at the Virginia Slims of Florida, but had lost the previous 11 matches.

Graf led 3-0 in the final set and had a chance to go up 4-0.

"I choked badly," said Graf, who will leave for Germany immediately and play only one more tournament, in Berlin, before the French Open in late May. "I wasn't playing the right points at the right time."

Sabatini kept overcoming waves of weariness to take a 4-3 lead, but it wasn't so much Sabatini's effort as Graf's lapse.

"Yeah, I thought maybe I could lose," said Sabatini, who hadn't been pleased with her play all week. "She always plays well in the third set."

But Graf wasn't hitting her formidable forehand as hard and her serve failed her.

"I was playing so well for the first tournament on clay," said Graf, who had wrapped up most of her previous matches in under an hour. "I just have to get my game together. I know now better how I should have played, but it doesn't help anymore."

Sabatini's game was sharp, as she chased down most of Graf's smashes and returned them, to the pro-Gaby crowd's delight.

"When you play against Steffi, you have to be concentrating or she beats you," said Sabatini. "Everybody is saying we're going to be the next Martina and Chris (Evert). I just try to improve my game, that's all."

Sabatini was visibly fatigued at the end of the second set.

"I had to come more to the net and started hitting the ball a little bit harder and tried to concentrate again," she said. "She started making a lot of mistakes."

Sabatini got her second wind and even hit a dazzling between-the-legs shot to tie the set at 5-5.

"The first time I did it (between-the-legs shot) was here in '85 (against Chris Evert)," said Sabatini. "It works very well, so . . . "

Nothing worked for Graf.

Sabatini broke Graf at 15-40 to go up 6-5 in the final set. Graf was shaken by a cross-court backhand which she felt was out, but the umpire ruled against her. Sabatini won the last game at love after Graf hit a forehand long, a backhand long, a forehand service return into the net, then a backhand that hit the netcord and sailed out.

Sabatini found the energy to show her elation by leaping into the air with her arms outstretched.

"When you start winning, you start fighting a little more," said Sabatini. "You forget all about tiredness."

Now she must forget this match and focus on the next one. That's not hard for Sabatini.

"I think the best matches I have had were against Martina," said Sabatini. "I want to win this tournament."
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #2580

An example of Steffi's humor being perhaps a bit too subtle for the American market. It seems like Melissa Isaacson understands that Steffi is being tongue-in-cheek, but it could have been presented a lot better.

SABATINI-GRAF DUEL EXCITES MORE THAN COMPETITORS
THE ORLANDO SENTINEL
Sunday, April 17, 1988
Melissa Isaacson

While Gabriela Sabatini and Steffi Graf were slugging it out in the first semifinal match Saturday at the Bausch and Lomb Championships, the tournament's other two semifinalists had perhaps an even more difficult job. Martina Navratilova and Claudia Kohde-Kilsch sat in the dressing room and watched the match on television. "We both commentated a little bit," Kohde- Kilsch said. "I usually like to sit in the stands and watch it. I couldn't really get into it. At the end I got too nervous and had to tell myself to concentrate." Navratilova had much the same trouble. "It was such a seesaw match, nobody could take the reins," she said. "Even if it doesn't matter who wins, you get excited. My palms were sweaty. . . . It was a valiant effort on both their parts. I was just admiring the tennis."

MAKE UP YOUR MIND

THE SELLOUT crowd watching the semifinal between Sabatini and Graf was decidely pro-Sabatini. "It was very annoying," Graf said. "Some are yelling, 'Miss it.' Others are yelling 'Hit it.' I didn't know what to do."

A LOSS IS A LOSS

GRAF, THE two-time defending champion, balked when asked if the losses she has had as the No. 1-ranked player in the world upset her any more than the losses she had as a lower-ranked player. Graf: "It doesn't matter if you're No. 10 or No. 1. Every loss is pretty much the same depending on how you lose. If I have a loss, I want to put the hours back. Afterward, I want to keep on playing tournaments."

PRACTICE PARTNER WANTED

USUALLY, TENNIS players will not admit to preparing for one player any differently than any other. Navratilova, however, said practicing for Sabatini would differ somewhat from her preparation for Graf. "I was going to find somebody to hit me a lot of forehands," Navratilova said. "Now I need somebody to hit me a lot of topspin backhands."

GOOD LOSER

KOHDE-KILSCH is 2-21 against Navratilova and did not seemed bothered too terribly by the 21st. Seconds after her 6-3, 6-2 defeat, Kohde-Kilsch took part in a promotional event, lofting tennis balls into the stands.