Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 170 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 14th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #2536
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

As a teaser for upcoming tournaments, Shriver and Navratilova are going to find out that it is not too smart to play these kind of war-of-words games with Steffi.

Shriver: Graf Can't Beat Navratilova
March 13, 1988
By JIM SARNI,
Sun-Sentinel

BOCA RATON -- Pam Shriver has some bad news for Steffi Graf, when the world's top player finally gets to play Martina Navratilova this year.

"Martina can do what I did out there a whole lot better, and if she does, she's going to win every time," said Shriver, after taking Graf to the limit, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 Saturday in the semifinals of the Virginia Slims of Florida.

"If Martina commits herself and stays injury-free, it's going to be interesting. What messed up Martina last year was not Steffi -- it was not getting up to play the other tournaments. She lost to Chris (Evert) and Gaby (Gabriela Sabatini)and these other players and she lost a lot of confidence."

Graf and Navratilova have not met in 1988 and are not scheduled to play the same tournament until the French Open in late May.

Navratilova is the only player to beat Graf in her last 107 matches. She did it twice -- at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

-- Graf and Shriver have an intense and emotional rivalry. Graf, very bluntly, does not like Shriver's style:

"She took so much time between points. I was angry at the beginning of the match. She got me upset, the way she was behaving. It made me sick. She's smiling at you and making jokes. That`s not the way I like it."

-- Chris Evert has now lost eight times in Florida since turning pro.

Gabriela Sabatini joins an exclusive club of victors in Florida over Evert that includes Navratilova (two wins, at Amelia Island and at Lipton), Billie Jean King (Sarasota), Greer Stevens (Hollywood), Zina Garrison (Amelia Island), Graf (Lipton) and Kate Gompert (Virginia Slims of Florida last year).

Evert, the touring pro at The Polo Club, is 4-2 on her home court.

Saturday's defeat marks the first time she has lost in the same Florida tournament in successive years.

-- Graf has won 30 straight matches. She opened 1987 with a 45-match winning streak ... The West German press, following the early ouster of Boris Becker in Orlando this week, descended on Graf en masse ... Graf irked Virginia Slims officials by skipping SportsChannel's post-match interview two nights in a row. But maybe Graf is just showing good taste -- SportsChannel taped Friday's quarterfinals and Saturday's semifinals, extending the epic Graf-Shriver match until 2:30 a.m. Saturday night. So, who was watching anyway? ... Saturday's session, which began in brilliant sunshine and ended in the evening chill, was sold out.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 15th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #2537

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Gaby's first win over Steffi. "Did we kill it?" "No ... we just made it angry."

SABATINI SEIZES VICTORY WIN OVER GRAF 1ST FOR ARGENTINE
Sun-Sentinel
Monday, March 14, 1988
JIM SARNI

BOCA RATON -- It sounded like a bullfight, not a tennis match.

''Destruya!''

''Destroy!'' the man shouted in Spanish, from the top of the bleachers at The Polo Club Sunday.

''Esta muerta.''

The man exclaimed that ''she was dead.''

Down below, on the court, Steffi Graf was doomed, as Gabriela Sabatini, the matador, waved her backhand like a cape over the champion.

As the large crowd roared its approval, Sabatini kept swinging away, until she finished the deed.

Then, the Argentine raised her racket in victory and disbelief.

Sabatini had done it. She had beaten Graf 2-6, 6-3, 6-1 and won the Virginia Slims of Florida.

''I can't believe I won,'' Sabatini said. ''I have dreamed about winning, but this is different. This is real.''

Sabatini looked a little startled when they handed her the huge cardboard check with her name over the $60,000 winner's share. She had to believe it now.

Before this weekend, Sabatini had never beaten Chris Evert or Graf. Then Sabatini whipped Evert in the semifinals Saturday 6-1, 7-5, and beat Graf for the first time in 12 matches Sunday.

''Today was another opportunity I had,'' Sabatini said. ''And I took it.''

Sabatini seized the chance, but Graf let it dangle in front of her eyes like a diamond necklace.

Graf led 6-2, 3-2, 30-15, and the world's No. 1 player, who had won 30 consecutive matches, appeared ready to stamp Sabatini as her latest victim.

Then, Graf missed a few shots. Graf saved a break point with an ace, but a backhand approach shot landed in the tape and a forehand sailed wide.

The set was even. And the match was over. Sabatini would win nine of the last 10 games.

''The match was decided at 3-2 in the second set,'' Graf said.

''I missed too many shots and I didn't play the way I should have. I should have won in two sets.''

Graf committed 39 unforced errors -- 23 forehand and 16 backhand. Sabatini made 21 unforced errors.

This was not the Graf who had won 105 of her last 107 matches, who had not lost to anyone besides Martina Navratilova since Hana Mandlikova beat her at the French Open 22 months ago.

Excuses? Champions don't hide behind excuses, but Graf had been suffering from a cold all week. She had survived a three-hour semifinal with Pam Shriver the day before and had little time to recover.

''I wasn't ready for a third set,'' Graf said.

''Yesterday took a lot out of me and I had a little bit of a cold.''

Graf sensed that Sabatini was weakening in the second set, too, and that was really her best chance Sunday. Graf had won past matches when Sabatini had run out of steam.

But Sabatini, pumped by the adoring crowd, caught her second wind.

''I thought she was getting tired,'' Graf said. ''But as the match turned, she was there again.''

''Heading into the third set, I felt that this time, I have to win,'' Sabatini said.

''I had been winning in a lot of matches against Graf and ended up losing. I wasn't going to let it happen again.''

Sabatini broke Graf for a 2-1 lead in a long deuce game, then held at deuce to extend her lead.

Sabatini was rolling now. She won the final three games, all at 30.

''I kept the balls in and got them deep,'' Sabatini said.

''That's all.''

That was enough to beat Graf Sunday. It may not be enough the next time, which could come in two weeks at the Lipton International Players Championships in Key Biscayne.

Sabatini has the same draw -- Evert in the semifinals to play Graf.

''Losing today will not affect my confidence,'' said Graf, the defending LIPC champion.

''I'm looking forward to Lipton. We will see what happens there.''

Sabatini was too happy to think ahead. She had beaten her toughest rival for the first time, and she had done it on her parents' 24th wedding anniversary.

''We have a few things to celebrate,'' said Sabatini, who headed off to a Key Biscayne restaurant with her folks and some friends.

''It is hard to talk now. I am more than happy.''
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #2538

IT'S SABATINI IN THREE SETS AS GRAF FALLS
The Miami Herald-
Monday, March 14, 1988
JIM MARTZ

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- Amid shouts of "Viva, Gaby" and "Vamos, Gaby," Gabriela Sabatini swept aside her last nemesis yesterday.

In a rousing comeback from being down a set and a service break, fifth-ranked Sabatini shook off the burden of not having defeated Steffi Graf in 11 previous matches and stunned the world's top-ranked player, 2-6, 6-3, 6-1.

The victory in the final of the $300,000 Virginia Slims of Florida women's tennis tournament came before a boisterous crowd of 5,983 at the Polo Club of Boca Raton.

It was just the third loss in 108 matches in 1987 and '88 for West Germany's Graf, who was beaten only by Martina Navratilova last year. She had won 30 in a row.

"Grande, Gaby!" hollered Elio Roca, a singer from Sabatini's native Argentina, as she accepted the first prize of $60,000 and a Waterford crystal bowl.

Sabatini smiled and waved to him in the front row of the bleachers. Roca may be popular back home, but it's Sabatini who is becoming the national sensation. At 17, she already endorses everything from cameras to cologne, and now, she has a tennis game to match her marketability.

"I went in there thinking I could win the match," said Sabatini, a part-time Key Biscayne resident whose downfall before was lack of confidence and conditioning. Defeating Chris Evert in her semifinal Saturday for the first time in six meetings buoyed her confidence.

"I wasn't really tired after the first set," Sabatini said after Sunday's triumph. "Then maybe she didn't play as well as she had. I tried to put the ball in play and deep. In the third set, I said, 'This time, I have to win. It's not going to happen again.' "

But Graf, who had needed a third-set tiebreaker to beat Pam Shriver in her semifinal Saturday, clearly was off form. "I had a good first set and was up, 3-2, in the second and gave the game away," she said. "I just wasn't ready for a third set.

"I had a hard win yesterday. I have a bit of a cold, and yesterday took a lot out of me."

As Sunday's two-hour and two-minute match wore on in warm, windy and humid conditions, the atmosphere was more fitting for a bullfight than a country club in Boca Raton.

A group of girls from Graf's nearby home at Gleneagles in Delray Beach shouted, "Go, Steffi, go!" several times. And as Sabatini went for the jugular in the third set, some fans yelled "she's dead" and "kill" in Spanish.

"I didn't feel too comfortable, but what can you do?" said Graf.

"All the support was great," said Sabatini. "I feel perfect playing here."

Sabatini, who is seeded third behind Graf and Evert in the Lipton International Players Championships beginning today on Key Biscayne, planned to spend Sunday night with family and friends celebrating her victory and her parents' anniversary.

Although Graf had dominated the series with Sabatini, seven matches had gone to three sets, and the last previous one, in November, went four. Sunday's looked like it would be a quickie as Graf broke serve three times in the first set and broke again for her 3-2 lead in the second.

But Graf's cannon forehand began misfiring. She dropped serve in the next game with a wide forehand shot and dropped serve again in the eighth game with two errant forehands. Sabatini broke three more times in the third set and committed only 21 unforced errors for the match compared with 39 by Graf (including 23 on the forehand).

"I felt at the beginning of the second set that she was getting tired," said Graf. "As the match turned, she suddenly was there again. The match was decided in the second set. I was missing too many shots."

Sabatini kept pounding topspin shots that pinned Graf behind the baseline, as they had against Evert. "I played deep balls, and they bothered her," she said.

In the first 11 meetings with Graf, Sabatini's stamina or concentration invariably would fail her. Asked what the difference was this time, Sabatini said, "Maybe I was more mental. In the third set, it was concentration. I kept fighting."

Later, she added, "Maybe I was too tired some times. I'm in very good shape. You have to be against her. Between points, I would try to relax."

Sabatini switched coaches last year, from Key Biscayne's Patricio Apey to former Spanish Davis Cup player Angel Gimenez.

"I would like to thank my coach," said Sabatini. "He's one reason I'm playing well.

"He's pushing me more to work. I'm running more, exercising on the court and after practice."

The title was Sabatini's sixth, and the $60,000 prize boosted her career earnings to $995,195.

In the doubles final, Katrina Adams and Zina Garrison upset top-seeded Claudia Kohde-Kilsch and Helena Sukova, 4-6, 7-5, 6-4.

Officials said the tournament drew a record 45,786 fans for the week. It was held in Palm Beach Gardens in 1984, Key Biscayne in '85 and '86 and Boca Raton last year.
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #2539

Tennis: Sabatini breaks the Graf spell
The Times
London, England
Tuesday, March 15, 1988
From BARRY WOOD, BOCA RATON

Gabriela Sabatini was able to celebrate the greatest weekend of her life after defeating Chris Evert and the world No. 1, Steffi Graf, in successive matches to win the Virginia Slims of Florida title here.

Sabatini's finest hour come with her 2-6, 6-3, 6-1 win over Graf, but it was only ever going to be a matter of time before the mysterious 17-year-old from Buenos Aires found a way to overcome her great rival. Eight of their 11 previous meetings had gone beyond two sets, and Graf had previously saved a match point in one of those encounters - the US clay courts in Indianapolis in 1986.

Although Sabatini deserves full credit for her success - registering the first time Graf has lost to someone other than Martina Navratilova since her defeat by Hana Mandlikova in the quarter-finals of the 1986 French Open - it is also true that Graf was largely responsible for her own downfall.

In the past two weeks, both in San Antonio and in Boca Raton, her performances have been spasmodic. The famous forehand that has sent ripplies of fear through the locker rooms of the world has suffered often from Graf's impatience, and against Sabatini some shots were so wild they landed yards over the base line.

Graf looked drained as Sabatini fought back in the second set, a result perhaps of her two hour 50 minute struggle against Pam Shriver the day before, during which she was forced to save match point. And so, while Graf looked increasingly uncomfortable, Sabatini not only played steadily from the baseline, hitting the ball strong and deep, but she also found it within herself to venture occasionally to the net with some success.

The 18-year-old West German admitted afterwards that the effects of a slight cold, together with the fatigue suffered in her match with Shriver, combined to sap her resistance. 'I wasn't ready for a third set. My match yesterday took a lot out of me and I wasn't at my best at the end,' she said.

Graf did give credit to Sabatini's steadfast performance. 'She did play well. She was keeping the ball in play and wasn't missing much.'

Sabatini had an iron determination not to let victory elude her again as it had done so many times before. 'I told myself that this time I had to win' Sabatini said. 'I don't think I played much differently from our other matches. The reason I won this time was mental. My concentration was good and I told myself that I could win.'

The effects of the match will reverberate throughout the tennis world as others now believe they too may have a chance after all against a player whose cloak of invincibility has been stripped away in two tough matches.

'I think that now I have beaten her the other players may get more confidence when they play her,' said Sabatini.

------------------------------------------------ RESULTS: ------------------------------------------------ Quarter-finals: P Shriver (US) bt G Fenandez (P Rico), 1-6, 7-5, 7-5; C Evert (US) bt S Cecchini (lt), 6-1, 6-0; G Sabatini (Arg) bt M J Fernandez (US), 7-6, 6-3; S Graf (WG) bt P Paradis (Fr), 6-1, 6-2. Semi-finals: Graf bt Shriver, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6; Sabatini bt Evert, 6-1, 7-5. Final: Sabatini bt Graf, 2-6, 6-3, 6-1. ------------------------------------------------
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #2540

Many tourists to St. Petersburg are a little unnerved by the seagulls that will eat bread from your hand -- whether you want them to or not...

St. Petersburg served Graf well // Tennis' top woman and her father remember fondly visit to city in 1981
St. Petersburg Times
Mar 15, 1988
MICHELLE KAUFMAN

Steffi Graf and her parents have traveled all over the United States in the past seven years, but few of the places they've visited bring back fonder memories than St. Petersburg.

When Peter Graf heard that a reporter from the St. Petersburg Times wanted to talk to him last week during the Virginia Slims of Florida in Boca Raton, he smiled and in German asked his daughter to join in.

"This girl is from St. Petersburg," he explained to her in broken English. "Remember Steffi, St. Petersburg?"

She nodded, and the two began reminiscing. They'd fill in English sentences with the German words they couldn't translate.

It was on St. Petersburg Beach that the Grafs were introduced to America in 1981. Steffi, then 11, was competing in the Orange Bowl junior tennis tournament in Miami and her family decided to stop in St. Petersburg to visit some friends.

They had heard about Florida, but weren't quite sure what to expect.

Three things impressed them most:

The seagulls that ate bread from the palms of their hands, the wide beaches, and the $1.99 children's dinner special at the Brown Derby restaurant.

"It was unbelievable that dinner we got for Steffi at Derby Brown," Peter said. "She had a salad, soup, meat, vegetable, drink and dessert for $1.99. We had never seen anything like that in Germany. We had a very nice experience in St. Petersburg. It is one of the nicest small towns I have ever seen. We'll never forget it."

Life has changed drastically for the Grafs since that quiet trip.

Steffi is no longer the unknown German kid who won that Orange Bowl tournament in the under-12 division.

She currently is the top-ranked professional player in the world. She earned $1.06-million last year. And her loss to Gabriela Sabatini in the Virginia Slims of Florida final Sunday was just her third defeat in the past 108 matches.

This week, the 18-year-old Graf is the top seed in the Lipton International Players Championships in Key Biscayne.

But the one thing that hasn't changed with Graf's fame is the rare relationship she shares with her father, who also is her coach.

It is a relationship, he says, that is misunderstood by everyone looking in from the outside. He is often portrayed as a tyrant, an image he despises.

"People watch me and think I am not good for Steffi," he said. "She and I know different. We understand each other. That's very important."

She won't deny that he's pushy, protective, shrewd, demanding, doting and austere. He molded the champion and rules her life with an iron fist. But everything he does is out of love, and Steffi would have it no other way.

"He's the reason I am what I am," she said. "I love him and respect him. He knows me better than I know me. He wants me to be happy all the time."

Papa Graf sawed off the end of a tennis racket handle 15 years ago and put the shortened instrument in his daughter's tiny hand. He tied a string across two chairs to serve as a net and began hitting balls with her. He rewarded long volleys with ice cream and strawberries.

She says she loved the game from the start. She'd beg her father to play more. She said he never forced her to play, always leaving it up to her.

"I put no pressure on her, ever," said her father. "Nobody believes that, but it's true. She loves tennis, and I help her to be the best. I play cards with her before matches, and let her win. I keep her calm. Our family life is what makes her so secure with herself."

Like her father, Graf is stoic, strong-willed and intense. On the court, her overpowering forehand is robotic. She rushes from point to point as if in a trance. Nothing excites her. Other than losing, few things bother her.

Graf wants to be known as a great tennis player - nothing more, nothing less. She said she wishes she had a "cloak to wear" over her face so her private life could stay private. She's not interested in being a public relations darling.

When her matches are over, she does her mandatory interviews, signs a few autographs and rushes off with her parents. She sees no reason to hang around the court longer. The court is her office. She punches in at matchtime and carries her tennis bag out like a lunch pail after a day's work.

Someone once asked Graf why she doesn't smile more on the tennis court. Her reply: "I can either play tennis or smile."

Graf doesn't have many friends on tour, though, like other players her age, she enjoys rock music and the latest fashions. She'd rather spend free time alone or with her parents.

"It's not that I don't want to be friends with the other girls, it's just that the short time I have to relax I like to spend with my family," she said. "They are like friends to me."

"Steffi's different from other girls," said Sabatini. "She thinks only about one thing, tennis. But that's what makes her happy. She has fun her own way."

Graf said she will continue playing until one of two things happens: she gets bored or she celebrates her 28th birthday.

"I don't want to be too old for my children," she said. "It's very important for parents to be able to understand their children."

Sound familiar?
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #2541

An excerpt from The Miami Herald on Thursday, March 17, 1988 by Edwin Pope. Some might find it surprising that Peter Graf would ever be described as "very reticent," but I can imagine this did not sit well with the Graf clan when they eventually found out. It isn't so much as "Wimbledon would be happy to oblige them if they would only ask," but more a matter of Sabatini's "status" at this stage of her career (no Slam singles finals, only 6 singles titles, and only one win each over Navratilova, Evert, and Graf).

[...]
And it just so happened Wednesday that mighty Wimbledon offered its first bow to Sabatini as royalty.

Ted Tinling, tennis' Mr. Manners, made that official.

"A change in transport for Sabatini at Wimbledon," Tinling put it. "I just came from 20 minutes with her agent, Dick Dell. When a player reaches the status of a Sabatini, you do everything you possibly can to accommodate them."

Big change. No more one-buddy-only limit as Sabatini is chauffeured to and from The Big W. Now she can have as many as three companions hauled around Londontown with her the last week of every June and the first week of every July for, say, the next 15 or 20 years.

Wimbledon has treated Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert this way for years. It may do the same for Graf, last year's finals loser to Navratilova, when Graf's people get around to asking. Tinling says the Graf troupe is "very reticent" about requesting anything special.

The important thing for Sabatini is that Tinling gave her the Wimbledon imprimatur when it was asked. And if Tinling tells you a firefly can light up the whole of London, just plug it in and shield your eyes.
[...]
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #2542

Tennis: Graf will measure the strength of the Durie revival
The Times
London, England
Saturday, March 19, 1988
From RICHARD EVANS

KEY BISCAYANE, FLORIDA - Jo Durie lined herself up for her first match against Steffi Graf in two years when she upset the rankings yesterday to reach the fourth round of the Lipton Players International here. Sticking doggedly to the task of wearing down a worthy opponent, the British player beat Gretchen Magers, a 24-year-old Texan, from San Antonio, 7-6, 6-3.

Providing Graf does not stumble against Ros Fairbank in her third round match, Durie will be playing the West German for the first time since the tournament in Mahwah, New Jersey, in 1986. Coincidentally, that was also the last time Durie won as many as three matches in one tournament.

All the old hesitation and lack of belief returned when Durie served for a 5-2 lead in the second set and it seemed as if she might be wavering dangerously when she netted a backhand volley which allowed Magers to break back.

'Yes, I was nervous," Durie said. 'When you are not used to winning, it is difficult not to panic. I won only 10 singles matches in the whole of last year and already this year I have won seven, so it is getting better."

Durie never looks totally in command on court these days, but the determination to succeed is still there, despite the disappointments of the last few years, and that vital aspect of her character has been very much in evidence here.

Magers is ranked No. 77 on the WITA computer, 22 places above the British player so, statistically, this was a good win for Durie, but she would have derived more satisfaction from the manner in which she survived three set points

Then she never allowed the American to get a foot in the door during the tie-break, shutting her out by seven points to nil.

There were also a few encouraging signs in Sara Gomer's play when she lost 6-1, 6-3, to Graf the previous evening. The score failed to reflect the quality of tennis the tall Devonian produced and a different set of statistics bear that out. Gomer had game points in eight of the first 12 games.

Three times she surprised Graf with beautifully disguised dropped shots and produced a great top spin lob to help her break back and stay on level terms for a while in the second set.

Results: Men's singles: Second round

R. Seguso (US) bt J Grabb (US), 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2; M Mecir (Cz) bt G Layendecker (US), 6-2, 6-2, 6-2; E Sanchez (Sp) bt K Flach (US), 7-6, 6-3, 6-1; D Goldie (US) bt M Srejber (Cz), 4-6, 7-6, 1-6, 6-2, 6-4.

Third round:

Y Noah (Fr) bt T Smid (Cz), 7-6, 6-2, 6-2; M Woodforde (Aus) bt T Muster (Austria), 6-2, 7-6, 3-6, 7-5. R. Krishnan (India) bt M Jaite (Arg), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, 6-3.

Women's singles: Second round

S Graf (WG) bt S Gomer (GB), 6-1, 6-3; C Kohde-Kilsch (WG) bt A De Vries (Bel), 6-0, 6-3; H Sukova (Cz) bt G Fernandez (PR), 3-6, 6-4, 6-2.

Third round:

J Durie (GB) bt G Magers (US), 7-6, 6-3; M-J Fernandez (US) bt L Golarisa (It), 4-6, 6-2, 6-0; L Ferrando (It) bt S Goles (Yug), 6-2, 6-0; G Sabatini (Arg) bt L Bonder (US), 6-2, 6-0.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #2543

More grumpiness...

Graf, Sabatini advance at Lipton
St. Petersburg Times
Saturday, March 19, 1988
Associated Press

KEY BISCAYNE - Top seed Steffi Graf and No. 3 Gabriela Sabatini closed out victories with second-set shutouts Friday in the third round of the $2.1-million Lipton International Players Championships.

Graf recovered from a slow start to beat Rosalyn Fairbank 7-6 (7-0), 6-0. Sabatini ousted Lisa Bonder of Largo 6-2, 6-0.

Graf, the defending champion, made 27 unforced errors in the first set against Fairbank.

''I wasn't very happy with the way I was playing,'' she said.

No. 8 Zina Garrison fell to Elna Reinach in three sets. No. 13 Nathalie Tauziat beat Radka Zrubakova in three sets.

Rain interrupted the night session at the International Tennis Center just as Andrei Chesnokov of the Soviet Union was finishing a 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 victory over Richey Reneberg.

When play resumed, West Germany's Claudia Kohde-Kilsch completed a 6-3, 5-7, 6-3 triumph over Isabelle Demongeot of France.

In men's play, No. 1 seed Mats Wilander beat 21-year-old Alexander Volkov 6-3, 6-7 (7-5), 6-4, 6-2.

Also, No.4 Tim Mayotte swept Paul Annacone and No.6 Yannick Noah swept Tomas Smid. Ramesh Krishnan eliminated eighth-seeded Martin Jaite in four sets.

Noah had 11 aces and won 45 points at the net as he beat Smid 7-6 (7-4), 6-2, 6-2.

Krishnan rallied to beat Jaite 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, 6-3. Mayotte eliminated Annacone 7-6 (7-3), 6-3, 6-3.

Reinach, ranked 93rd in the world, beat Garrison 1-6, 6-2, 6-4. Tauziat eliminated Zrubakova 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.

Challenge finalists battle for slot in Eckerd Open

The eight finalists in the Eckerd World Class Challenge go after a main-draw entry in the $200,000 Eckerd Open today and Sunday at the Bardmoor/Stearns International Tennis Centre in Largo.

The matches begin today at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., and Sunday's deciding match starts at 1 p.m. The final will be televised live throughout the state by Home Sports Entertainment Network.

Leading the field is Donna Faber of Bradenton. Faber, 16, is one of the top-ranked 16-under players in Florida and, although an amateur, is ranked among the top 250 professional women players in the world.
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 11:45 PM   #2544

Tennis : Wilander, Graf Stagger Through Tiebreakers
March 19, 1988
United Press International
Los Angeles Times

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. — Sweden's Mats Wilander and West Germany's Steffi Graf shook off slow starts Friday to advance to the fourth round of the $2.1-million Lipton International Players Championships.

Graf, top-seeded among the women, was taken to a tiebreaker before beating Rosalyn Fairbank of South Africa, 7-6, 6-0.

Wilander, the men's top-seeded player, recovered after losing a second-set tiebreaker to beat Alexander Volkov of the Soviet Union, 6-3, 6-7, 6-4, 6-2.

"I came out really mentally prepared to play the match, but it seemed that he didn't," Wilander said. "It didn't seem like he cared and that threw me off. I guess that is his style."

Graf, trying to overcome the flu the past 10 days, went through the motions in the first set before the tiebreaker shook her.

"I started hitting the ball much harder in the tiebreaker (which she won 7-0) and in the second set," Graf said. "Roz was playing pretty well and hitting things back in, and I was making a few errors. I decided to hit the ball harder and I started moving better, which made the big difference in the match."

Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina, seeded third, defeated Lisa Bonder, 6-2, 6-0, but eighth-seeded Zina Garrison lost to Elna Reinach of South Africa, 1-6, 6-2, 6-0.

Tim Mayotte scored a 7-6, 6-3, 6-3 victory over Paul Annacone, and Yannick Noah of France was a 7-6, 6-2, 6-2 winner over Tomas Smid of Czechoslovakia.

However, eighth-seeded Martin Jaite of Argentina was upset by Ramesh Krishnan of India, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, 6-3.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2545

IT'S MARY JOE AGAINST EVERT IN SEMIFINALS
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, March 23, 1988
SHAUN POWELL

Another victory at the Lipton International Players Championships for Mary Joe Fernandez provided another day of truancy for a small but boisterous group of her Carrollton School classmates.

With Tuesday's 6-2, 6-3 triumph over Elna Reinach, the 16- year-old junior and her portable cheering section advanced to the women's final four Thursday, where she will play Chris Evert.

Evert, the No. 2 seed, overcame an opening-set tiebreaker defeat to tough out a 6-7 (8-10), 7-5, 6-4 victory over fifth seed Helena Sukova.

And Steffi Graf , the tournament's top seed, eased to the semifinals with her fifth consecutive straight-set victory, a 6-3, 6-1 decision over Claudia Kohde-Kilsch. She'll meet Stephanie Rehe, who played through a climactic and emotional 5-7, 6-3, 6-4 victory over ninth seed Barbara Potter.

"I have nothing to lose," said Rehe, the only unseeded player in the semis. "Nobody's expecting me to win."

Sukova had beaten Evert in the pair's last three meetings, and it looked promising that she would make it four straight until Evert won the last two games of the second set.

A faulty lob and Sukova's piercing serves caused trouble for Evert.

"Her serve was big tonight, especially under the lights," Evert said. "I felt it was a quality match. I just gutsed it out."

Evert took a 5-3 lead in the final set. And after Sukova held serve to pull within one, Evert scored every point in the final game to win.

"It would've been a tough match for me to lose," Evert said.

Sukova took the loss hard and blamed the linespersons for awarding the match's several close calls to Evert.

"The linespeople just favor the higher-seeded players," Sukova said. "You're doing your best and you can't be sure the linespeople will be fair. It's in the back of your mind. I felt everything was going her way."

Evert rolled her eyes after hearing Sukova's complaints. "I thought the officiating was OK. I thought some of her shots were out. Bad calls, if there were any, didn't make the difference in the match."

Men's quarterfinal action will dominate Lipton today, with top seed Mats Wilander playing Aaron Krickstein in the afternoon and second seed Jimmy Connors against Anders Jarryd in the evening.

Fernandez took four straight games from Reinach after a 2-2 start to the first set, then captured the final two games of the second set for the victory.

Throughout the match Fernandez received adrenaline injections from friends, some wearing letter jackets, all screaming "Go, Mary Joe."

"I don't know how they got out of school," Fernandez said. "But I'm awfully glad they're here. They said they may close school on Thursday, Well, we'll see."

Since losing to Gabriela Sabatini at the Virginia Slims of Florida, Graf has been unrelenting at Lipton. Her match with Kohde-Kilsch, the sixth seed, was no different. She took a 5-1 opening-set lead, spotted Kohde-Kilsch the next two games, then won the next six games.

"I didn't have to do much special," Graf said. "It was just a normal match. I just have to hit the forehand and I have to have a good serve. That's what I'm concentrating on. I'm very eager now. I have to win this tournament."

Other than a tiebreaker with Ros Fairbank in the third round, Graf hasn't lost more than three games in a set.

"She didn't miss anything," Kohde-Kilsch said. "She doesn't give you anything, just solid tennis. I thought maybe she would lose a little confidence since she lost to Gabriela. But she has played well here."

Potter certainly wasn't lacking confidence on the final point of her match with Rehe. If anything, she might have been overconfident.

While at the net and poised to strike a soft Rehe return, Potter easily could have forced a deuce by placing the ball in the open court. Instead, the frustration of losing other opportunities in the match surfaced.

So Potter put too much power behind her overhead and not enough accuracy. The ball bounced off the top of the net and ricocheted back into her court.

"I wanted to sort of overcompensate, and instead of going for the sure point, I just got emotional about it," Potter said. "I wanted to hit the ever-lovin' you-know-what out of it.

"It's a tough lesson. It was unfortunate. I'm going to have to learn from this. I'm very disappointed in this match."

Potter's discouragement was caused by the fifth game of the third set. She entered with a 3-1 lead, but Rehe came back with three straight games. After Potter tied the match 4-4, Rehe held
serve, then broke to win the two-hour 40-minute contest.

"I got lucky on that last shot, but I don't feel I was lucky to win the match," Rehe said. "I hung in there."
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #2546

Evert, Graf gain at Lipton
St. Petersburg Times
Associated Press

KEY BISCAYNE - Veteran Chris Evert won Tuesday night to join teen-agers Steffi Graf, Mary Joe Fernandez of Miami and Stephanie Rehe of Highland, Calif., in the semifinals of the $2.1-million Lipton International Players Championships.

Evert, 33, outlasted No.5 seed Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia 6-7 (10-8), 7-5, 6-4 in a match that lasted 2 hours 28 minutes. Afterwards, Sukova accused the umpire and linesmen of favoring Evert.

Earlier Tuesday, the top-seeded Graf, 18, swept No.6 Claudia Kohde-Kilsch 6-3, 6-1 in a battle of West Germans.

The 16-year-old Fernandez, seeded 15th, beat Elna Reinach of South Africa 6-2, 6-3. The unseeded Rehe, 18, outlasted No.9 Barbara Potter of Woodbury, Conn., 5-7, 6-3, 6-4.

Evert broke Sukova in the fifth game of the final set for her winning margin. Sukova said she played her best tennis in more than 18 months and called the umpire and linesmen "unfair" and "terrible."

"I felt everything was going her way," Sukova said. "On crucial points in the match they were supporting her 100 percent."

Evert disagreed.

"She's entitled to her opinion, but bad calls did not make the difference in the match," Evert said.

The first set was the only one Evert has lost in five rounds. She had a match point chance at 8-7 in the tiebreaker but couldn't capitalize.

"I felt my back was against the wall a lot of times," Evert said. "I just 'gutsed' it out, basically."

Fernandez, boosted by a partisan crowd that included about a dozen screaming classmates from Carrollton High School near Miami, advanced to the semifinals of a Virginia Slims event for the first time.

"I'm real excited," Fernandez said. "I don't think it has hit me quite yet."

Fernandez, who beat third-seeded Gabriela Sabatini on Sunday, plays Evert on Thursday. Fernandez said winning the two-week tourney isn't her top priority.

"Right now learning and improving are No.1," she said. "You always want to win, no matter what. But I think in the back of my mind I know that you have to work on improving to get to the top."

Against Reinach, ranked No.75, Fernandez lost her serve three times. But she broke Reinach's serve in seven of nine games.

For Rehe, ranked 34th, a relaxed attitude paid off in her 2-hour, 39-minute match against Potter.

"Nobody expected me to win," she said. "I just went out there to have fun."

Potter broke Rehe in the third game of the final set, but Rehe broke back in the sixth game and broke Potter again in the last game. Potter dodged three match points, but on the fourth she netted an easy overhead volley.

"What a way to win a match like that," Rehe said. "I didn't expect it, but I'll take it. I was lucky to win on that shot."

Rehe struggled with her serve but negated Potter's aggressiveness with stinging backhand passing shots.

Rehe's opponent Thursday will be Graf, who raced to leads of 5-1 and 5-0 against Kohde-Kilsch. Graf has won every set in her five matches and said her desire has been increased by a loss to Sabatini 10 days ago in the Virginia Slims of Florida in Boca Raton.

"I didn't want (the loss), but somehow I think it helped me," Graf said. "Winning was getting normal, and that's not the way it should be. I'm very eager now. I want to win this tournament."

Kohde-Kilsch, 2-6 against Graf, said the teen-ager didn't play as confidently as usual.

"She didn't hit one forehand, for example, that I couldn't handle," Kohde-Kilsch said. "I didn't see any of her famous forehand."
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #2547

There are times when I wonder if Mr. Bellamy is "tight as an owl" --if that's the expression I want-- when he's writing these things...

Tennis: Graf marches on and adds new shot to repertoire
The Times
London, England
From REX BELLAMY, Tennis Correspondent

KEY BISCAYNE - Steffi Graf, last year's winner, advanced to the semi-finals of the Lipton Championships with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Claudia Kohde-Kilsch yesterday. This was Graf's sixth consecutive win over her tall compatriot: and the most decisive. As if eager to add spice to a rather dull dish, Graf tried a few fierce, top-spun backhands.

Later Graf laughed about those shots, evidently regarding the experiments as risky and self-indulgent. She should work on the shot, she added, and use it more often. That prospect must be daunting for her rivals, only one of whom - Martina Navratilova - managed to beat her last year.

Graf's forehand is violently effective, her backhand usually a chip that stays low. Should she acquire the knack of hitting outright winners on the backhand, as well as the forehand, opponents might reasonably consider adjusting their life insurance.

Mary Joe Fernandez, aged 16, beat Elna Reinach 6-2, 6-3 to reach the semi-finals of a senior tournament for the first time. Fernandez then caused startled speculation by nursing a baby (her niece, it transpired), while chatting with the media.

Fernandez ranks twentieth in the world but still goes to school, almost full-time, in Miami. She has won a lot of money but has indulged herself only with the 'nice red car' in which she drives to school. Some of her chums ('I don't know how they got out of school', she said) shrieked encouragement and waved a 'Go Mary Joe' banner while Fernandez played commonplace tennis to win a commonplace match. The whole affair seemed rather infra dig at a tournament of this status.

There were no men's singles yesterday. The last eight will line up as follows: Mats Wilander v Aaron Krickstein, Andrei Chesnokov v Yannick Noah, Jay Berger v Miloslav Meccir, and Anders Jarryd v Jimmy Connors.

Berger, aged 21, has been recruited to the United States Davis Cup team. By today's standards there is not much of him, but he is remarkably tenacious - especially when playing in his local tournament, as he is now. Berger ranks only 55th in the world but has reached the Lipton quarter-finals two years running. Each time his victims have included Andres Gomez.

One wonders what Berger will make of his first meeting with Mecir, who has the men of an aristocrat and the mind of a Machiavelli. In the fourth round Mikael Pernfors led Mecir 4-0 and 5-2, had two set point, but won one more game. Pernfors had been advancing towards a mirage. He met both Mecirs - the one who sleeps and the one who weaves spells.

Finally three asides. The Press Room staff has been embellished by a pretty lass called Heidi, daughter of the renowned Roy Emerson. Elsewhere, those on nodding terms with German sausages have been assaulted by an awful pun, 'The Best Of The Wurst', over a refreshment stall. And the mobile toilets all bear the words: 'The Crowd Pleaser.' Make up your own jokes.

------------------------------------------------------------- RESULTS: Women: Quarrter-finals: M J Fernandez (US) bt E Reinach (SA), 6-2, 6-3; S Graf (WG) bt C Kohde-Kilsch (WG), 6-3, 6-1; S Rehe (US) bt B Potter (US), 5-7, 6-3, 6-4. -------------------------------------------------------------
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #2548

JUST WINNING ISN'T ENOUGH FOR SOME STEFFI-WATCHERS
The Miami Herald
BOB RUBIN

How good is Steffi Graf? So good that after losing just four games in a 63-minute victory over the ninth-ranked woman in the world, everyone was talking about how and why she was off her game.

Graf's 6-3, 6-1 breeze past West German countrywoman Claudia Kohde-Kilsch Tuesday on Key Biscayne, her 112th victory in 115 matches over the past two years, moved her into the semifinals of the Lipton International Players Championships.

Graf won Lipton last year. Except for losses to Martina Navratilova in the finals at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, she won everything last year. That's everything as in everything -- all 73 other matches in all 11 other tournaments she played.

She's top-seeded at this year's Lipton; top-ranked in this year's world. She's 82 days short of her 19th birthday -- and still getting better. She already has won nearly $2 million (more than a mill last year alone), but shows no interest in indulging herself. She's still hungry, still lives for tennis, still hasn't had her head turned by the normal teen girl pursuits -- boys and clothes, clothes and boys and . . . oh, yes, boys and clothes.

She has become so good, so dominant, it's no longer enough for her to win. Except for matches against a handful of competitors just below her in the rankings, Fraulein Forehand has to destroy. If, as happened Tuesday, it takes her longer than an hour, or if she loses three games in a set and fights off three other break points, something must be wrong.

"She stayed back and played good, solid tennis, but she didn't seem as confident as she usually is," Kohde-Kilsch said Tuesday. "She didn't serve as well as usual, and she didn't hit one forehand I couldn't get."

Ah, that forehand, the most devastating in the history of women's tennis. It's sometimes called "Jaws" on the circuit. Chris Evert says she has practiced against men who don't hit as hard.

But you could actually see the ball Tuesday. What was wrong?

Nothing, said Graf.

"I didn't have to do too much special," she said. "I didn't play great, but I didn't play bad, either. I started slowly, but it always takes me awhile to get into a match."

The questions persisted. Did her loss to Gabriela Sabatini in the Virginia Slims of Florida at Boca Raton last week affect her game, shake her confidence? Kohde-Kilsch theorized that might be the case.

"No, I'm thinking about this tournament, not looking back," Graf said. "I'm very eager. I want to win this tournament."

Because of the loss to Sabatini?

"Yes."

Did she need a loss to keep her sharp?

"I didn't want it, but I needed it," she said, sounding unconvinced even as she spoke. "Winning was getting normal, the way it should be."

Did she regret losing a chance for a rematch with Sabatini in wake of Gabriela's upset defeat by Mary Joe Fernandez Sunday?

"I've known Mary Joe a long time, and we're good friends, but I was hoping for Gaby."

But the missing face that matters most in this tournament, or any other, belongs to Martina. She's skipping the Lipton to rest sore knees, but has vowed to regain her No. 1 ranking from the Teutonic teen terror, to snatch victory from the Jaws of Graf.

Is Steffi concerned?

She half laughed, half shouted, her reply.

"Not at all. I concentrate on what I'm doing and who I'm playing right now."

Tuesday, the task at hand was dismantling Double K, which she did under the gaze of her father/coach/manager Peter. But she didn't look his way. As is her style, she was businesslike, purposeful. She was always out of a break first, before the chair called "time." She didn't waste motion or emotion, except for a scowl of self disgust over an errant shot, a shake of the head over another, a brief chat with herself over another and the mild questioning of a fault call on a serve she thought was good.

She was content to stay back and hit sliced backhands and junior Jaws -- Gums -- allowing Kohde-Kilsch to play herself out of the match with errors. She can also come over the top on her backhand and she can come in and volley, but she chose not to. As she said, there was no need to.

She has developed the other parts of her game to complement Jaws. "She fixed up her backhand because she was willing to practice that one particular shot for hours, weeks and months," said Fred Stolle, TV commentator for ESPN, teaching pro at Turnberry Isle and former international star. "You've got to hit bloody thousands of them, and she was willing to. She doesn't like to volley much, but at Wimbledon last year she proved she can. That's one part of her game she'll be working on, I'm sure.

"She'll also learn how to mix up her game a little more. She basically has one speed now -- all out, go for everything. That's fine if the ball's going in, but on days it isn't and the wheels are coming off, you've got to shift gears. But that will come with maturity."

She's No. 1 now, 82 days short of her 19th birthday. She's so good, she's judged not on whether she wins, but how easily she wins. And the experts talk about how good she'll be when she grows up.

She's Steffi.

She's scary.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #2549
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Seriously,huge THANK YOU Ms. Anthropic
I will need time to read all the articles you ve posted, and I already know it will be a pleasure
I've just read the last one, worth reading and its end
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #2550

For the first six games Stephanie Rehe held her own against the world's No. 1 player, Steffi Graf, on Thursday.
USA TODAY (Arlington, VA) - Thursday, March 24, 1988
Author: RICHARD FINN : (c) Gannett News Service

For the first six games Stephanie Rehe held her own against the world's No. 1 player, Steffi Graf, on Thursday.

"She couldn't do much better," said Graf.

Then, for the rest of the night Rehe found herself outclassed, outhit and out of her league.

In the semifinals of the $2.1 million Lipton International Players Championships, Rehe's first such showing in a major pro event, the Highland, Calif., teen-ager weakened under the onslaught of powerful ground strokes off the racket of the top seeded West German to bow 6-3, 6-1.

"I know I can play with the top, I know I can play that kind of tennis. I showed that tonight," said Rehe, ranked 34th in the world. "It is just a matter of keeping it up.

"She's not the No. 1 player for nothing."

"I picked up my game," said Graf, the defending champion. "I was getting into my forehand. I was taking the risks. I was very pleased."

With an 0-3 career mark against her fellow 18-year-old, Rehe was not really expected to put up a struggle. She was the only unseeded player in the semifinals.

"I didn't expect her in the semifinals. Did you?" said Graf.

"I wasn't rolled over and probably surprised some people that I was in the match. That was great," said Rehe.

Swinging from the heels, and connecting, and taking advantage of Graf's errors, Rehe shot out of the starting blocks to break serve in the first game and then hold serve for a surprising 2-0 lead.

"I was really hitting the ball in the beginning. I came out like gangbusters," she said.

"She was going for the shots. She was playing aggressively," said Graf.

Graf did not panic and she began to work herself into the match. She held serve for a 2-1 deficit. Rehe had two game points in the next game for a 3-1 lead. She double faulted on the first, one of seven in the match, and waved at a stinging forehand passing winner. Another double fault followed and Graf made her pay dearly for it by breaking serve with a thundering forehand winner.

The next two games went on serve. It was the last time in the match that Rehe was able to hold her own.

From 3-3 Graf turned up the power and grabbed control.

"Those forehands were whizzing by me," said Rehe, who took home a check of $28,125.

Graf reeled off five straight games. The first set took 44 minutes and the second just 24 minutes.