Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 16 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 28th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #226
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seleção82 View Post
True about friendship

And yes, that "incident" with the Italian press really was a strange thing. I'm still not sure what to think about it.

But, in general, the Italian press and also the crowds really can be rude sometimes. Natasha had to face such a disgusting experience at the Italian Open in Rome in 1993. In the third round she played against the Italian Maria Bentivoglio, who at that time was the #329. The crowd was so rude to Natasha that she not only lost the match, they even, if I remember that correctly, made her cry.
Natasha did not play there again in singles for the next years, she returned to Rome in singles as late as 1999.
As an italian I can tell you that you are right about the italian crowd, we don't have a real sport culture, but things are getting better now. I never read that article, but I know about it. It's an old one, I think it was written in '87 during the Italian Open when the roman crowd was rooting for Sabatini and Steffi at the time wasn't considered so attractive yet. I can tell you that things changed a lot in the following years and many italian tennis reporters started to love her and to see her as a very attractive woman. When she retired a couple of tennis writers wrote that she was the most loved woman tennis player ever. Anyway,I think she stopped to come to Rome more because it was played between Hamburg and Berlin and she had to play there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irma View Post
Yeah she just had a baby and is under doping charges too!
Yes, let's say better, it's Stephanie Graf from Austria, track and field athlete. But she's not pregnant, she just gave birth.
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 28th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #227
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

I think that the other difference between Steffi and Gaby was the fitness. Sometimes already after 1set, Sabatini looked totally tired, quite done.
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #228
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

About the italian press, I remember reading articles when she retired, and yes as bia said, she was so loved, beautiful, and like the best thing that never happened to the game. Funny isn't it, as we know about the "incident" or that once a journalist compared her to "a computer" and said she was cold and bla blah because she was german.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #229
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation

Why tennis pundits favored Sabatini as a prospect over Graf in their early teens? Not only Austin, but Bolletieri and many others.

I would say it was mainly to do with physical development - when I first saw Sabatini - at literally just turning 14 - she already looked like an adult. Tall, strong, very athletic, mature appearance - much like Capriati was at 14. Graf really was very much a youngster then in appearance. And you never know how kids are going to grow. (One example that always struck me is Monica Seles whose adult body form, eating disorders apart, turned out to be nothing like as athletic as her youthful self.) Graf took a long time to grow in to herself - perhaps 20 before she was really in her adult form. She grew taller but she was still very slim.

Also Graf was a superb junior (didn't she win the European u18s when she was 12?) but Sabatini had had an extraordinary and very media attention getting run as a 13 year old, sweeping several important junior tournaments in the 18s including the Orange Bowl (always a lot of media) as well as the junior FO. If we had a 13 year old girl today who was doing that, she'd be getting massive hype too... Not sure if Graf played the juniors at all after she was 12, but didn't play the 18s at the big media tournaments much if at all I don't think.

And fan bases ... I was in a circle of rabid male Graf admirers so I didn't hear much discussion of Sabatini's charms although I know she had her own followers. I think Graf became by far the more popular fantasy object through their 20s... Again Sabatini looked like a woman at 14; Graf was a kind of gawky teenager - all skinny legs. And remember what a mess her hair was then? I think it was 1989 before she started growing it all longer and putting it in a pony tail. I seem to recall journalists, male fans and male players all got on board the Graf bandwagon pretty quickly in the 1990s...

What's unusual about the experts' skepticism about Graf as a young teen seems to me just that - most teen prospects are WILDLY overhyped by coaches, journalists and fans. By far the majority never meet the expectations. She was progressing fast and seamlessly but took longer to persuade for some reason. Perhaps it's because - as we often see today - many fast rising young teens flatter to impress briefly, but can't hold their position much less consolidate as GS winners.
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #230
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

I read somewhere that an Italian writer also called Steffi a potato faced German when she played Rome in 1987.

It sounds like there was more than one barb thrown her way by the press. No wonder she skipped the Foro Italico for many years after that!
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #231
country flag djul14

Classy italian press
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #232
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I read somewhere that an Italian writer also called Steffi a potato faced German when she played Rome in 1987.

It sounds like there was more than one barb thrown her way by the press. No wonder she skipped the Foro Italico for many years after that!
I think that was the same article I was talking about. I don't even know the name of that journalist, but I guess he wasn't a tennis writer. Back then the Italian Open was a big national event, very publicized by the media and everyone commented on it. But, again, I can tell you that the majority of tennis writers loved Steffi when they started to know her and they always said she was a very sweet, sensitive and humble person. Never referred to her as cold or robotic. Anyway, I have to tell you that I often don't like tennis writers too much, during tournaments they use to spend all their time in the press room gossiping around, pretending to know everything about the players life.

Last edited by bia : Mar 29th, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #233
country flag steffiandbibi

steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

I read this too what kind of potato are so sharp faced
I dont believe Steffi would punish a contry for a single report. she is pride, not arrogant.
As bia said, pros prefer developed tennis market, homecrowd, and higher level events.

I have another question: I heard from someone that Jenifer Capriatti slaped Steffi when she was very young. but Steffi encouraged and helped her when she cameback. Is the story really so dramatic?
steffiandbibi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #234
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffiandbibi View Post
I read this too what kind of potato are so sharp faced
I dont believe Steffi would punish a contry for a single report. she is pride, not arrogant.
As bia said, pros prefer developed tennis market, homecrowd, and higher level events.

I have another question: I heard from someone that Jenifer Capriatti slaped Steffi when she was very young. but Steffi encouraged and helped her when she cameback. Is the story really so dramatic?
I never heard about Cappy slapping Steffi (I assume you mean slapping in the face, not the olympics 1992), but Cappy said in an interview in 2001 that nobody of the wta cared for her when she was down except for Steffi.

Of course this story was pretty much ignored because a lot of people like the "Steffi is a selfish bitch who only cares about herself" way more
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #235
country flag steffiandbibi

steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all steffiandbibi is a name known to all

thank you irma, i dont really believe the slap part. Cannot imagin under what situation a player could slap another. Maybe that guy misunderstood the "slap".

Steffi is so sweet warmhearted and not bitchy. Sometimes medias can be controlled by bias for years. People who judge others by bias are the real cold selfish bitch.

Last edited by steffiandbibi : Mar 29th, 2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling
steffiandbibi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #236
country flag djul14

As far as I remember I only heard great things from Capriati about Steffi, even when she was young. So the slap, lol, i don't know, and why in the world would she have salpped her
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #237
country flag Jessyka

Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, I feel bad for Jana, #1 choke of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ObApMX_wLo
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #238
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

I really forget what the poll it is,but this poll in 99.where Steffi at no.1,Helen wills at no.2,Martina at no.3.can anybody tell me what the poll?and who conducted?.i can say only its also very imp poll like ap's tennis player of century poll.
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 03:19 PM   #239
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Hey itennispress, orkut used in india and brazil only.and european ppl uses social networks for personal and job wide friends only.this is one of reason why many celebs' groups have low no. of members out side of india.so don't worry if members didn't join.and most of graf fans wasn't browsing and her profile inactive i.e retired 10
years back.and we should happy for her official and wiki hits.these hits higher than many active profiled players.
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 09:14 PM   #240
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation

Two minute interview in German, during a photo shoot for something....
Brief summary translation anyone?

http://www.gekkoos.de/unterhaltung/startv.php
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote