Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 147 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 9th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #2191
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan2808 View Post
A Roland Garros reporter was going around asking some former tennis players today and asking questions "where were you when xxxx (name of player) won the French Open in xxxx (year)". Goran was asked where he was when Michael Chang won it in 1989. Then came a reporter to Martina Hingis. He asked her, "where were you when Steffi Graf won her 6th French Open title in 1999?".

Hingis laughed, while PULLING the reporter's EARS and answered something like, "I was there on the court, I lost to her... I still remember that!" Then she laughed again. I thought it was so funny. I had a good laugh when I saw that on TV.
But did he ask seriously or was he joking?!

By the way, I found this new interview: http://www.letemps.ch/Page/Uuid/0c21...it_dAndr%C3%A9
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 9th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #2192
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Bia, Video link to the same interview and Steffi looks great.
http://www.letemps.ch/Page/Uuid/0b21...se_de_la_terre

Here is the whole interview (with google translation and so bear with me).
Stefanie Graf just play three interviews with television stations. An hour in a chair in the spotlight, it looks hot. She apologizes, gets up and takes the air out of the window. It is impressive, very elegant in his gray trousers, a pink blouse and white waistcoat. But feels nervous. She does not likes the media obligations and it shows. She asks if we can leave the window open. Then changes his mind when the first question and returns the close. The interview begins. She smiles and relaxes ...

Time: Roland Garros, this is your first Grand Slam victory in 1987, and also your last, in 1999. What memories will you return?

-Stefanie Graf: 1999 is probably my strongest memory. Not only because it was my last victory, but because I was filled with many emotions during this final against Martina [Hingis]. I conducted a set of anything. She had made ​​the break in the second. Then there was the controversy about a ball on the line. I have memories of the public who was behind me. Her support gave me the energy to follow through in that final. I had tough matches in previous rounds against Lindsay Davenport and Monica Seles. It's still a special moment.

- These feelings are with you they still when you return to Roland Garros?

- I can not say that I feel them again. But I'm glad to revisit the place. Three years ago, I went back on the court during the women's final and I handed the trophy. There were plenty of people involved in the tournament for a long time, I know well. It was nice to see all these familiar faces.

- Your track record is staggering: 107 titles including 22 Grand Slams, two Olympic titles. A new Steffi Graf seems impossible. Why?

- These seven or eight years, the best have struggled with injuries. Different players have dominated for some time before being affected. Some have retired and then returned. Most have the weapons to threaten others. It became much harder to dominate.

-In men, however, there are three that dominate ...

- It's impressive to follow men's tennis. It's just fascinating. I watch it on TV and I have the chance to speak with Andre, ask him what he thinks of tennis today. It's just a marvel. Their talent, their physical capabilities are simply outstanding. Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, they have no weakness. And they have a different style, which makes their exciting confrontations. They are so pushed each other the past three years it is hard to imagine a better standard than men's tennis shows right now.

- Can we compare what Roger Federer has done with what you yourself have done?

- I do not reason in terms of accomplishment. I have always sought above all to push myself. But the records and have never been very important to me. When I look at a player, I look first at his game, but in any case I'm not trying to compare what he does with my charts.

- You give to children in difficulty. Is it a need that you always lived?

- When I was younger, I felt the need to make myself useful in different ways, to have an impact on causes that are dear to my heart. I was linked to WWF because I am always concerned about the environment and animals. I was raised with the notion of respect for others and the world around us. Then I got involved in a foundation for sick children in Germany. It was very hard for me to meet with doctors in Hamburg, and see the work we were doing with these traumatized children. It was so hard that I felt I needed to create my own foundation [Children for Tomorrow, for the victims of war]. This has not always been easy, knowing that I live in the U.S. and the seat of my foundation is in Germany. I created it before meeting Andre, and he also had his own foundation [Andre Agassi Foundation for Education]. But we've both chosen to help children because they are the future. They are the hope. And I hope it can make things happen.

- How do you compare your present existence with your life as a champion?

- That seems far away. It's been 13 or 14 years that I stopped. But this seems an eternity. My life is so filled with two children to raise and all the work we do, Andre and I, with the children of the foundation. I'm very lucky. And when I think about my career in tennis, I have no regrets. I lived many beautiful things but I am very happy with the life I lead now.

- What are the lessons of your experience as a champion you use today?

- Tennis is a lesson in life, it provides many lessons. I do not even know where to start. It is only a short, with so many decisions to make. This forces you to be responsible, organized, disciplined. There are so many things in my career where I draw. Travelling around the world opens your eyes. We discover other cultures, you learn other ways to interact with people. This is instructive.

- Some people think that becoming a champion or a champion, you have to be obsessed with its objectives. Do you share that view?

- This requires extreme dedication, absolutely. Dedication and discipline too. But it's like everything in life. It happens anywhere in life, you get nothing if we do not engage fully and passionately in what we do. And in tennis, because it's an individual sport, you have to make choices for yourself. And sometimes it's difficult. There are so many people who gravitate around you to try to help you get there. But if you do not resort to external assistance, you may feel very alone.

- What advice would you give to young girls who dream of a career in tennis?

- Every human being is so different that it is difficult to give advice. It depends so much on the circumstances of life. I would tell them to try to get maximum enjoyment and prepare to work hard, it will be a difficult and demanding life on an emotional level. It is a sport that lasts very addictive twelve months a year. I would say that the journey is not easy but we can find a good balance between life on and off the court.

- Two years ago, Andre published his autobiography "Open". How did you feel that your love story will be revealed to the world?

- (She laughs.) I watched all these years. (She searches for words.) I saw him get involved, to delve into his writings, I have followed the development of his book. It was a very intense period for him. I did not contribute much. I felt that this was a project which he thought deeply. And I am proud of what he did. As he says in his title, there is an openness that I admire in him. I reinforced his need to convey and say things. I was OK with that. Even if it was not easy for me. (Her voice begins to shake.) I do not feel necessarily comfortable with that. But the way he wrote certain passages in our history ... You know ... I tell myself I'm the luckiest girl on earth.

- If you were to start, would you change anything?

- No. There is of course difficult moments in everyone's life, but it is these moments that make you move, that you are as a person and make you become who you are. I would not change anything, and I am happy to be where I am.

http://www.letemps.ch/Page/Uuid/0c21...cf93cfcd4b%7C0

Looks like the link is not working and so just posted the whole interview.

Last edited by Stef-fan : Jun 9th, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2193
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, Stef-fan, you were very quick with the translation I don't know why it's not working anymore, but if you research on google, it should work, just search for: steffi graf «J’admire l’ouverture d’esprit d’André»
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #2194
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Thanks for the interview, missed it, I usually visit this newspaper site, shame on me.

Top 5 FO matches, N°5 and 3
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templ...18087&zoneid=9
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #2195
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to 3 set matches with Seles and Davenport in the 99 French, didn't Graft also go 3 sets with Anna Kournikova (who was playing pretty good tennis at the time)?
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #2196
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

No, it was in two but Steffi needed a tie-break in the second. She was playing a little tight and Kournikova was OK, not incredible, but in the tie-break Steffi stepped up and hit with more pace and determination, when in mattered most and won, kind of usual of her. Tremendous champion.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #2197
country flag bia

http://www.letemps.ch/Page/Uuid/9ce4...c-09d141f1ffa5
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 07:57 AM   #2198
country flag bia

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/te...-1226390366110
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #2199
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

[quote=bia;21620748] But did he ask seriously or was he joking?!

I think the reporter deliberately asked Hingis, just to see what answer she would give. I bet he would never think that she would pull his ears, though!
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #2200
country flag MistyGrey

MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan2808 View Post
A Roland Garros reporter was going around asking some former tennis players today and asking questions "where were you when xxxx (name of player) won the French Open in xxxx (year)". Goran was asked where he was when Michael Chang won it in 1989. Then came a reporter to Martina Hingis. He asked her, "where were you when Steffi Graf won her 6th French Open title in 1999?".

Hingis laughed, while PULLING the reporter's EARS and answered something like, "I was there on the court, I lost to her... I still remember that!" Then she laughed again. I thought it was so funny. I had a good laugh when I saw that on TV.
That sounds hilarious! Which channel was it? Any video??
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #2201
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyGrey View Post
That sounds hilarious! Which channel was it? Any video??
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrc...edia-day_sport

Very trollish by the interviewer but yet highly entertaining
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #2202
country flag MistyGrey

MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by domon17th View Post
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrc...edia-day_sport

Very trollish by the interviewer but yet highly entertaining
Thank you!
Hingis is a good sport!
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #2203
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Another interview...
http://2012.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/n...medium=twitter
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #2204
country flag Stef-fan

Another 4 yrs before someone can aim for the 'GOLDEN SLAM' again. It might be the toughest to achieve, more than 4 slams at 4different surfaces. No off day for a whole year at the slams and that has to coincide with the Olympic year.

Steffi at CFT charity night in Paris.
http://mobile.purepeople.com/article...vati_a101917/1
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #2205
country flag grafan92

grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold

Not just the golden slam, but even the calendar slam. So much importance is given to career slams these days, to think of it Steffi actually did it 4 times over since she won them all minimum 4 times each! Had she played the AO in '95 and '96, the numbers might have been crazier...but I shall not tread that path :-)
grafan92 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote