Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 139 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 12th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #2071
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Have you checked these matches on Youtube?
1995 US Open Final:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cz7vu0NXwk

1987 2nd Round:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EQHEX2kSCc
1987 US QF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDNbHtKi600

1998 Eastbourne QF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBPp77XDZmQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB3CNmhQcIk

1999 Evert Cup Final:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmPm7gJSd6g

My friend downloaded some videos for me in the past,but I couldn't see the ball better in the 95us final match which is in my previous download box.If this latest 95us final is in better quality,please let me know. Due to my very low internet connection I can't download large files myself.
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #2072
country flag theseekers

theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all

steffi will playing against martina hingis in 2 weeks in taiwan for the " rise of legend 2012 "
theseekers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #2073
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseekers View Post
steffi will playing against martina hingis in 2 weeks in taiwan for the " rise of legend 2012 "
You have got to be kidding! I never would have thought this would ever happen. Are you going? If so, please take plenty of pics / video. It still strikes me these two would agree to such an exhibition, and i Taiwan of all places. The money must be really good.
Old May 12th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #2074
country flag theseekers

theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all theseekers is a name known to all

http://www.facebook.com/IntegrationSports
theseekers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #2075
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
You have got to be kidding! I never would have thought this would ever happen. Are you going? If so, please take plenty of pics / video. It still strikes me these two would agree to such an exhibition, and i Taiwan of all places. The money must be really good.
Agassi and Safin were there last year and Agassi was ver pleased with the reception. When people asked him about getting Steffi to play there, he said he will try his best to get her to play and as a result, the exo. Actually, both Steffi and Andre released a recorded message for Taiwan audience last year.
Agassi is going to play as well, on the men's side and the women's, it is Steffi and Hingis.
Hingis has been part of most of exhos in the recent past that Agassi and Courier were part of and is going to participate even in future eg: Montreal and WTT NY matches where Andre is participating.
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #2076
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
I happened to have never seen this particular match, only the last few points, was it good? Was it better than Steffi's SF win over Sabatini?
Hi gabybackhand. I think the match - not counting the last set - was pretty good. I didn't realize how well-fought it was until I re-watched it afterwards. Obviously, when I was watching it live, I was too tense and couldn't focus on anything apart from the fact that I wished Graf would win LOL. They had a lot of really long rallies, and both players moved each other around the court quite well. By the time the third set started, the momentum was clearly with Graf as I thought Hingis just started to fold.

Apart from the tough rallies, the drama that surrounded the match was also legendary. I don't think I've seen any other match with this kind of continued drama. I think one of my favorite moments was when Hingis was contesting a fault that was called on her serve and she kept prolonging the discussion with the umpire so much so that Steffi came up to the umpire and said something like "are we here to play tennis or just to talk?" There was a lot of frustration in her voice and it was the first time I heard Steffi speak with a bit of anger.

Last edited by XTN : May 12th, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #2077
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseekers View Post
Oh wow! This is very interesting! I know it's just an exhibition and Steffi is in her mid-40s now but I think she can still win and I hope she does.
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #2078

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTN View Post
Hi gabybackhand. I think the match - not counting the last set - was pretty good. I didn't realize how well-fought it was until I re-watched it afterwards. Obviously, when I was watching it live, I was too tense and couldn't focus on anything apart from the fact that I wished Graf would win LOL. They had a lot of really long rallies, and both players moved each other around the court quite well. By the time the third set started, the momentum was clearly with Graf as I thought Hingis just started to fold.

Apart from the tough rallies, the drama that surrounded the match was also legendary. I don't think I've seen any other match with this kind of continued drama. I think one of my favorite moments was when Hingis was contesting a fault that was called on her serve and she kept prolonging the discussion with the umpire so much so that Steffi came up to the umpire and said something like "are we here to play tennis or just to talk?" There was a lot of frustration in her voice and it was the first time I heard Steffi speak with a bit of anger.
I believe her sarcastic comment was "are we having a little bit of conversation? Do you play tennis?" as if that's what Hingis was chatting about with the umpire- very funny in hindsight, but not so funny as it happened.
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #2079
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTN View Post

Thank you for your fine and insightful post... but I did see that match though I even had it on VHS (except for the part of Hingis' argument with the umpire and crossing to the other side of the net!) and I thoroughly enjoyed it every time I saw it, especially how Graf showed some cocky youngster how the older (the best ever) generation could play!
I was talking about the 1987 final, and how good was it compared to that year SF between Graf and Sabatini. Thanx anyway
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #2080

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Quote:
I believe her sarcastic comment was "are we having a little bit of conversation? Do you play tennis?" as if that's what Hingis was chatting about with the umpire- very funny in hindsight, but not so funny as it happened.
Yeah, totally. That match was well-played, one of the best but not the best-ever, the third set really dropped the level, but very enjoyable for all the drama and the emotion to see the old champion giving its due to the cheeky youngster.
BTW, Alfa, did you see my avatar? Do you think I make a right follow-through? As you are a fan of THE FOREHAND, you are probably and expert on this particular shot !
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #2081

Quote:
Yeah, totally. That match was well-played, one of the best but not the best-ever, the third set really dropped the level, but very enjoyable for all the drama and the emotion to see the old champion giving its due to the cheeky youngster.
BTW, Alfa, did you see my avatar? Do you think I make a right follow-through? As you are a fan of THE FOREHAND, you are probably and expert on this particular shot !
I was going to yell at you for a second! My eyesight isn't that good anymore, but still, I was thinking to myself "how does someone end up like that after a backhand?" I guess Alberto Berasatuegi (sp?) had a backhand for a a forehand. Remember him? Boy did he NOT age gracefully. He used to be so hot (IMO) in his prime, but then again so was Alberto Mancini!!!! Gaby will never be anything but gorgeous with a wonderful attitude.
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #2082

That was my forehand follow-through, maybe you misunderstand me!
And I remember Berasategui, he had one of the ugliest yet very effective forehands ever, and while he was not bad nor good looking, now he is NOT aging that well
Yet Alberto Mancini is doing even MUCH worse...

http://www.elpopular.com.ar/diario/2...a/DEP1301x.jpg
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #2083
country flag XTN

Quote:
Thank you for your fine and insightful post... but I did see that match though I even had it on VHS (except for the part of Hingis' argument with the umpire and crossing to the other side of the net!) and I thoroughly enjoyed it every time I saw it, especially how Graf showed some cocky youngster how the older (the best ever) generation could play!
I was talking about the 1987 final, and how good was it compared to that year SF between Graf and Sabatini. Thanx anyway
hahaha I was indeed wondering how it is that you wouldn't have watched that 1999 final. I took a quick look at the 1987 final on youtube and I think the wind was playing such a major factor, which I am guessing is why djul mentioned a lot of crazy points. I think Steffi was an expert in playing in windy conditions. I think is a testament to her athleticism and adaptability because if anyone's game is bound to be given trouble by wind, it would be Steffi's. I mean, her high ball toss and late forehand can easily be disrupted but she always seemed to handle blustery conditions quite well.
Old May 13th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #2084
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Are you guys talking about the (99FO final) incident after the "spoon serve", last game ?
Steffi said to the umpire "what are we doing here ? Are we talking or are we playing tennis ?"
I just love how Hingis instantly get back to her place, when she saw Steffi coming to the chair umpire
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #2085
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

New Steffi's interview on Welt am Sonntag: http://www.welt.de/print/wams/vermis...#disqus_thread
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote